BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY

Go down 
+9
Norman
donald
alan8376
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
Ian-redcap70
steve
Paul
JPW
ChrisP
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 10:00

JPW wrote:
Steve

I have the same problem with the link

I believe the main CCG HQ was in Bad Salzuflen but a number of the senior appointments were double hatted with Senior Army Officers holding Key Post Appointments within the CCG organisation For example CinC BAOR was also The Military Governor British Zone of Occupation in the very early days This would explain the Bad Oeynhausen CCG office but I am still convinced that the main CCG HQ site was Bad Salzuflen and this is corroborated by web input in the form of individual memories.

I have a copy of the 1949 CCG Staff list which is 16 pages long but is unfortunately unsuitable for further reproduction. It does show that in 1949 in addition to the Headquarters I listed in my original contribution that within the Regional Organisation there were in 1949 large CCG offices in other centres as follows
NORD RHEIN WESTFALEN (Regional CCG HQ Dusseldorf)
Subordinate HQ
Aachen, Arnsberg, Detmold, Dusseldorf, Koln and Munster.

NEIDER SACHSEN (Regional CCG HQ Hannover)
Subordinate HQ
Brunswick,Hannover, Luneburg, Oldenburg, Osnabruck and Stade

Clearly there were fewer problems in Schleswig Holstein , everything seems to have been dealt with by the Kiel Offices

Hi Claymore and JPW
Found the quote [img]Control Commission 1945
JPW do you have a list of Military Goverment Detachments understand a British Major commanded each so far have 328 Iserlohn and 922 Hagen
Best regards Steve study
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 17:49

Yep Steve,

That certainly supports a co-location at Bad O. Logistically, this would make sense. However, there are a number of other rather confusing references to Bad S... and I've even found one reference to Bunde, although this might be a CCG detachment based there in relation to the SOXMIS presence.
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 22:20

Thanks Steve. I did try to open an account with Photobucket to do as you said but site would not let me set up an account for some reason.

I decided to put the pics on my site at:

http://www.redcap70.net/VW_Works.html

Ian.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/3/2010, 22:26

I remember the first Beetle that we were allotted at 1 Corps RMP HQ Bad Rothenfelde in 1953. Split windows at rear. Running boards too. Went flat out on the Autobahn and sounded like an old 4 stroke petrol lawn-mower!!

One thing though-they were not top heavy like the Champs which came later. You could not roll the VW-it hugged the road and was a joy to drive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/4/2010, 22:13

Gentlemen

Apologies for the lengthy silence on the subject but there is very little substantive readily available to the casual researcher. I have however talked to a number of my fellow pupils from KAS Ploen whose fathers worked for the CCG in the late 40s/early 50s

The situation is complicated but whilst there were a number of double hatted key post appointments such as Comd 21 Army Group subsequently Cin C BAOR acting as the Military Governor British Occupation Zone based in Bad Oeynhausen, the majority of the CCG (the equivalent of MOD civil servants in current jargon)employed in HQ CCG (British Element) were based in satellite HQs in neighbouring towns the largest of which was in Bad Salzuflen

Thanks for the tip about Woodman document. I believe the original is now in the Government Archives in Kew and was written in late Summer 1945 to explain the changes to be adopted in in the British Zone following the cessation of Martial Law and the transfer of certain very basic responsibilities to local German authorities, though carefully monitored and controlled by the British through the CCG

No time for more family responsibilities prevent me from following up these leads and contacting Kew in particular or the local library to try and borrow the only known book on the subject written in the early 1950s
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 57
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Hildesheim, Hannover.
Registration date : 2009-10-19

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/7/2010, 20:43

The Neider-Sachsen office of the CCG was in HQ Hannover District on Hans Bockler Allee when I was a staff clerk there in 1955-57. If I remember correctly there were about ten staff in the office, mainly ex-Army officers and a few civvy clerks. The German civvies used to be proud of saying that that they served in the Charlie Chaplin's Grenadiers.

Noch ein bier,

Norman .
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 10:46

Norman,

If you were a staff clerk why didn't you come over to the RAOC rather than the RCT?

Just wondered as I was a Staff Clerk initially and most of my senior ranks were ex RASC.
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 12:30

It was a question of what was available in the Hull area at the time I joined the TAVR Jim. There was no RAOC unit in the area but 150 Regt RCT was one of the largest of the RCT TAVR regiments.
I joined the RHQ and in the fullness of time became chief clerk (V). The RHQ also had a regular army PSI chief clerk all the time I was there But on training weekends and annual camp it was my show.
I thoroughly enjoyed it for 18 years before retiring at the age of 52.
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 12:42

Drinks on me lads, I see I have just been promoted to Sgt. And in the 50th Inf Div as well. My TA unit was the 150 (Northumbrian) Transport Regt RCT (V) who were originally 50 Div Transport Regt RASC during earlier years. Not too happy about been a long range sniper though!! (No offence to our Gunner friends)

Noch ein bier,

Norman .
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 12:52

LOL, Thanks for that Norman
Back to top Go down
valoppypuss
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-06-01

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/6/2013, 06:53

Control Commission Germany Herford.
Hi, My mother and father were both involved with the CCG in Herford, Germany in 1946 and knew it well. My father was stationed in the Control Commission Germany, Car unit which was in the Barracks on Vlothoer ( now near a Tennis platz) along with my Grandfather. Also in this Barrack block, with the VW's etc there were the horses and these were available for families of CCG members to ride. Families, which included my mother, were put up for stays in what we think is the Konigens-Mathilda Gymnasium on the same road, which was then a military Hospital, school and taken over by the CCG along with many other buildings on Pen Hill. They used to visit a small tea rooms again a little bit down the same road call 'The Cottage'. Still further down the road is The Schutzenhof where many events were held for CCG members. When my mother arrived in 1946, the station was hanging off it's hinges, blown apart with all lines dangling and blowing in the wind. Many local German people including children with bare feet and virtually nothing on, were begging for food at the side of the railway lines. Hard to imagine today. War is not a nice thing, for either side!

Hope this helps. I'd like to hear from anyone with further information about the above.
Andrew.

Pborn4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 653
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2023, 17:25

CONTROL COMMISSION GERMANY 1945-49

Start here, Site under construction; but contains elementary Organisation Charts (pre 1948)

https://www.ccgermany.org.uk/
https://www.ccgermany.org.uk/why-no-official-history
https://www.ccgermany.org.uk/about

https://www.ccgermany.org.uk/organisation

https://www.ccgermany.org.uk/disciplinary-convictions 6 months for stealing a VW ?
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2023, 02:07

Reported from Stadt Lübbecke archive (in German): 
The [Control] Commission for [Germany - British Element] did not move its headquarters to Bielefeld, but distributed its departments to various cities, such as
Minden, 
Detmold, 
Bad Oeynhausen, alongside HQ BAOR
Bünde *
and Herford. / and dormitory housing in Bad Salzuflen
Further departments were in Berlin (Dept. of the Army) 
and in Hamburg (Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry). 
*There were three departments in Bünde,
among them the "Politics" department with the "Public Relations" group
(and the Soviet Commander's Mission  - SOXMIS). 
The decisive department "Legal Division"  (Judge Advocate General - JAG**) was located in Lübbecke. 
This may be the reason why Lübbecke was regarded by the British side as the headquarters of the (CCG) Commission.

And CCG (BE)  in the course of time evolved in to the Joint Services Liaison Office and moved to Villa Spiritus in Bonn.

** For what ever reason/mind set many of the early post war BAOR records and military files have been registered under JAG in the Archives at Kew - a red-herring, perhaps, but unfortunately may need to be followed through the indexes to find a lost archive.

Last edited by Pborn4 on 17/5/2023, 11:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Norman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: CCG in Hannover   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2023, 19:38

Guest wrote:
Entered in error

I was at HQ Hannover District between January 1955 and July 1957 at was then called Stirling House.
The CCG had an office in the same place with quite a few people involved. I was working in 'A' Branch
at that time and one of our officers, an elderly Captain, obtained a job with them on his retirement from the Army.
He had his khaki battledress uniform dyed navy blue to conform with the CCG dress code. He always joked that he
had joined the Charlie Chaplin Grenadiers!

Noch Ein Bier.

alan8376, Pborn4 and JGW like this post

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/4/2023, 20:46

Aah the Niedersachsen Branch - kinda No-Man's-Land between Nord Rhein Westfalen and Berlin.

Eccentricity seems to have been the Order of the Day.

CCG were mass producing blue BD and recycling ARP, Fire Service and  Naval Uniforms,
but no guarantee of a comfortable fit!  
Can see from where your elderly Captain was coming -
Tailored clothing maketh the man.

Certainly there were other CCG entries awarded the accolade - if it fits ya, you're deformed!.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/4/2023, 12:27

Translated from https://www.niedersachsen.de

"With the unconditional surrender of the German Wehrmacht on May 8, 1945, the combat operations of the Second World War in Europe ended. The four victorious Allied powers took over supreme government power in Germany and divided the country into zones of occupation. As a result, German states were reestablished or new countries founded in all four zones of occupation, without it being clear at the time what Germany's future political order should look like. In the British occupation zone, after North Rhine-Westphalia and Schleswig-Holstein, the new state of "Lower Saxony" was formed on November 1, 1946 through the unification of the previously independent states of Braunschweig, Hanover, Oldenburg and Schaumburg-Lippe. The people of this country faced enormous challenges in the early years."
Back to top Go down
PB1963
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-09-21

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/11/2023, 16:12

Hi all

I am researching my great uncle who had an interesting war story to tell but I am stuck on his Control Commission Germany days. I’ve noted JPW’s message quoted here which mentions a staff list (his name was George Noakes) but unfortunately I don’t seem able to message JPW on this forum to ask directly.

Can anyone help?

Paul

JPW wrote:
Steve

I have the same problem with the link

I believe the main CCG HQ was in Bad Salzuflen but a number of the senior appointments were double hatted with Senior Army Officers holding Key Post Appointments within the CCG organisation For example CinC BAOR was also The Military Governor British Zone of Occupation in the very early days This would explain the Bad Oeynhausen CCG office but I am still convinced that the main CCG HQ site was Bad Salzuflen and this is corroborated by web input in the form of individual memories.

I have a copy of the 1949 CCG Staff list which is 16 pages long but is unfortunately unsuitable for further reproduction. It does show that in 1949 in addition to the Headquarters I listed in my original contribution that within the Regional Organisation there were in 1949 large CCG offices in other centres as follows
NORD RHEIN WESTFALEN (Regional CCG HQ Dusseldorf)
Subordinate HQ
Aachen, Arnsberg, Detmold, Dusseldorf, Koln and Munster.

NEIDER SACHSEN (Regional CCG HQ Hannover)
Subordinate HQ
Brunswick,Hannover, Luneburg, Oldenburg, Osnabruck and Stade

Clearly there were fewer problems in Schleswig Holstein , everything seems to have been dealt with by the Kiel Offices

Pborn4 and JGW like this post

Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/11/2023, 08:26

Sadly JPW has had to stand down from the forum due to illness.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/1/2024, 14:24

APPENDIX C
CCG LOCATIONS IN THE BRITISH ZONE
2 DIVISION

Branches/ units LOCATIONS

Zonal Executive Offices           12   Lübbecke, Minden, Bad Salzuflen, Herford, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Baden-Baden
Trade & Industry                     20 Minden, Bad Pyrmont, Hamburg, Essen, Leverküsen Food & Agriculture 10 Hamburg, Hannover, Oldenburg, Bonn, Hamburg, Unna
Reparations, Deliveries
& Restitution
                                   6 Detmold
Transport                                   26 Herford, Bielefeld, Hamburg, Lustringen, Hannover, Göttingen, Kuperdren (Essen), Wuppertal, Cologne (Köln), Hannover-Bucholz, Duisbrg-Ruhrort, Hiltrup, Hamburg, Lübeck, Emden
Manpower                                   9 Lemgo
Internal Affairs &
Communications
                           21 Bunde, Bad Salzuflen, Hannover, Braunschweig, Düsseldorf, Köln, Kiel, Münster, Dortmund, Hamburg, Hiltrup
Public Health                              9 Düsseldorf, Celle, Hamburg, Dortmund, Kiel, Wuppertal, Verden, Neunkirchen, Goslar
Prisoners of War &
Displaced Persons
                42 Lemgo, Göttingen, Hannover, Rastede, Bad Rehburg (Nienburg area) , Luneburg, Uetze, Orbenjeza, Neiheim, Bassum, Celle, Dalhausen, Hordstemmen, Wentdorf, Oldenburg, Meppen, Kiel, Lübeck, Bad Godesberg, Warendorf, Hamburg, Boghorst, Siegen, Hameln, Hilden, Hahenklee, Braunschweig, Marienthal, Bergen, Stade, Bedburg, Goslar, Osnabrück, Meschede
Political                                4 Lübbecke, Hamburg
Finance                                8 Hamburg, Oldenburg
Legal                                  10 Herford
Public Relations &
Information Services Control
  19 Bunde, Herford, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover, Köln, Kiel,  [/b]
North German Timber Control   10 Hamburg, Duneburg, Minden
[b]North German Coal Control
    8 Essen, Hamborn, Recklinghausen, Bredeney, Bochum, Kohlscheid, Köln
T Force                    14 Bad Oeynhausen, Kamen, Heisingen, Ratingen, Leichlingen, Bad Nenndorf, Grosse Ilsede, Rotenburg, Hamburg, Duneberg
Local Administrative Units    11 Lübbecke, Berlin, Hamburg
Intelligence                       195 Herford + 90 locations

Some Place Names may be inaccurate having been taken from original documents which have been transcribed, by manual typewriters,  directly from maps or daily reports - some places are actually suburbs of major towns!]
Extracted from https://www.ccgermany.org.uk/contents authored by Diana Goldsworthy (whose father had been in CCG in Lübbecke) very much work in progress

https://www.ccgermany.org.uk/about and receptive to data, photos and information on CCG(BE)
[/b]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY   CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CONTROL COMMISSION FOR GERMANY
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2