BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 53 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 53 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!

Go down 
+37
jimsigs1
ciphers
dandc
BigJock
gingerjim
cartav
pinky
malaboman
Dolmetscher
whitehorse660
reg
"john boy"
BobG
jerry
Shelldrake
JPW
steve
sapper0938
JJ
Trish1303
brum
recce83
steve jones
Themaadone
Hardrations
mjm34
jim
TaffyS
Mike_2817
donald
Teabag
bob
Rocky
Stephen Lock
ChrisP
graham wright
alan8376
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
JJ
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Das schmekt gut!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 17:28

Further to the mouth watering memories of bratties and pommes frites, I had returned to Germany after an absence of 8 years , sadly only on exercise not permantly, so no chance to visit an imbiss. Straight out to the exloc, scrim up, set up action board which called for sitreps from sub-units. Sent off trusty despatch rider to get them, an hour and a half later still no sign of him and ops maj getting twitchy- as I was. The DR turns up eventually taking 2 hours instead of the hour - hour and a half it should have taken. Listened to his excuses of darkness poor visibility difficult to find sub units when I noticed dribbling out of the corner of his mouth the tell tale signs of currywurst sauce. Despatched him immediately for 2 currywursts und pommes mit mayo (mit nehm). One for me and the Ops Maj. He was back inside 15 minutes with them steaming hot. Wolfed it down pity didnt have an Alt to wash it down with.

It also used to amaze me when after driving for miles on minor roads the little white trailer with a string of unshaded lights strung along its length would appear at the side with apparently no urban spread in sight just mile after mile of forrest but he would be busy! 2 or 3 cars along with various mil vehs would be parked up with their occupants either waiting or eating as if it was their first meal for days.

Happy days!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/10/2010, 19:28

I fondly recall pommes frites mit mayonnaise...but of course the German mayo was quite different from what is commercially available here in Canada....our mayo is...hmmmm...sweeter, if that is the way to describe it. Which is not suggest our mayo is sweet, but it is in comparison to the good, solid, German mayo one smothered pommes frites in! Not sure what the difference is re in the preparation/manufacture.

Of course, talking about that culinary combination is guaranteed to turn a civvie green around the gills....mayonnaise??? EEEEWWWW..... yeah, well, whateverrrrrr.....

And a fried egg on top of a schnitzel....heaven. And, again, there was something different about the German fried egg and ours. As I recall, the egg wasn't actually "fried" but rather broken (of course) and dropped quickly into some sort of hot oil thing and removed as soon as it solidified and placed on the schnitzel.

Jaegerschnitzel and Ziegeunerschnitzel were excellent! The Ziegeunerschnitzel (Gypsy schnitzel) was wonderful if one preferred a bit of "bite" in one's schnitzel (why does that sound a bit rude?).

Back to top Go down
sapper0938
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 5
Cap Badge : Royal Engineers
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Hameln, Berlin, NI, Plymouth, REDS Marchwood, Falklands
Registration date : 2010-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 06:03

Made myself a currywurst for lunch.

Don't have decent sausages down under, so I used a couple of pork ones, made by a local company and piled up the ketchup and curry powder. Went down a treat.

If I could get the wurst and slicing machine, I reckon a load of dosh could be made down here.

Oh to see an Schnell Imbiss again.

Mike
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 10:30

Hi JJ and welcome mate

Damn, you guys have me drooling again, I had a pfeffer steak on holiday in a restaurant run by a German guy who married a local girl in Gran Canaria.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 12:52

Nuthin' rung with a birra Black Puddin' an' a cupple of poiklits mate !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 13:43

ah well coincidentally, I had Blackpudding for lunch Brum

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Image000-1
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 14:26

Blimey mate, how did you find room for the brown sauce ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 16:14

A plate of Cholesterol..Hope you`re on statins Jim Laughing

Last edited by Gordon. on 22/10/2010, 14:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/10/2010, 17:13

Now I'm hankering for that plate - lovely!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/10/2010, 13:25

Noooo, that's good healthy food Gordon.

Very Happy

I have no cholesterol problems at all I'm pleased to say.

I can pretty much eat and drink anything.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/10/2010, 00:26

my daughter just e mailed from frankfurt where she was staying for a couple of days. tells me she has just had a currywurst at a local imbis. darn she is a smart girl.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/10/2010, 03:23

steve jones wrote:
my daughter just e mailed from frankfurt where she was staying for a couple of days. tells me she has just had a currywurst at a local imbis. darn she is a smart girl.

Not only smart girl, but good taste in food.
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 01:06

she sent me a photo of the currywurst would you believe !!!!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 07:47

steve jones wrote:
she sent me a photo of the currywurst would you believe !!!!

Good for her. Laughing
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 08:36

Had a long weekend in the north near Cuxhaven and had currywurst mit pommes for Friday lunch not a bratwurst chopped up but a separate larger wurst and the sauce came from a pot simmering on the side then all sprinkled with curry powder...just fantastic then on Saturday in a local restaurant schnitzel with bratkartoffeln covered in local mushrooms…sorry did not have a camera!
Cheers from a chilly but sunny Iserlohn
Steve sunny
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 10:41

My lips are drooling at the thought of a decent schnitzel, my favourite compo snack was the red processed cheese (cheese possessed) and oatmeal biscuit still to be found in the late 1960s (rumour control had it that it was the last of the wartime Canasdian operational ration packs)

No problems over health and safety or thoughts of calory counts or cholestrol in the those now far off days
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/10/2010, 20:53

I loved babies heads (steak n kidney pud) or the sausages in the 10 man rat packs, god....they were good!!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/10/2010, 11:53

steve wrote:
Had a long weekend in the north near Cuxhaven and had currywurst mit pommes for Friday lunch not a bratwurst chopped up but a separate larger wurst and the sauce came from a pot simmering on the side then all sprinkled with curry powder...just fantastic then on Saturday in a local restaurant schnitzel with bratkartoffeln covered in local mushrooms…sorry did not have a camera!
Cheers from a chilly but sunny Iserlohn
Steve sunny

damn, and it's lunchtime. Time for a fry up methinks.

That cheese possessed made the best cheese sauce ever.
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/10/2010, 18:22

It, the cheese demon, was never that bad but boy, it made your cheeks flush!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/10/2010, 21:28

The tinned cheese and the cans of Pom were very good as an increment when firing blank.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/10/2010, 21:49

Interestingly enough, where I work we have a grill (hot dogs, "smokies", taquitos etc) and one of the current smokies we've brought in are "Octoberfest"....sort of a bratwurst.

A young girl, 21 going on 15 if you know what I mean, didn't have a clue what an "Octoberfest" was! (duh).

I told her it was named after the German beer festival.

"Oh. Does it have beer in it?"

Clueless.

"No....it's the bratwurst served at the beer festival..."

"Bratwurst? Yuck!"

Blasphemy!

Told her I grew up on Bratwurst and the greasier it was the better LOL. I swear she turned green. Also told her about pommes frites with mayonnaise, knowing that'd really get to her. It did. Her idea of "cuisine" is McDonald's ehehehehe What I have to put up with! Sigh.... :-)

She has no idea what she is missing....well, she has no idea about much, but that's beside the point.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/10/2010, 00:02

Were they greasy though Stephen? The one's I get these days from Lidl or Aldi do not have very much fat at all. I grill them and the grill pan is clean enough to just give it a wipe. In the good old days (swing that lamp) I just ordered and ate them without a thought of if they were clogging up the arteries or not. Mind you I smoked a lot of fags in those days too.

McDonalds = Everything that is bad with modern society.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/10/2010, 09:33

Ah Teabag!!!!!Greasy food and lots of fags..That sounds a bit like me...
Have you had your arteries de clogged yet????? Wink
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/10/2010, 10:51

How many of you were unknowingly eating 'Horse Meat' sausages ????

Last edited by alan8376 on 31/10/2010, 11:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime31/10/2010, 11:01

Better still Alan..

How many were knowningly eating 'Horse Meat' sausages ???? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!
Page 3 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: