BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Fiji Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Fiji Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Fiji Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Fiji Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Fiji Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Fiji Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Fiji Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Fiji Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Fiji Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Fiji Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Fiji Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Fiji Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Fiji Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Fiji Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Fiji Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 68 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 67 Guests :: 1 Bot

Pborn4

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Fiji

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime3/4/2010, 22:35

I did 23 years in the British Army. In that time I have, (in my geriatric head) a list of "The nicest blokes I ever knew". There are Canadians, who's names I never had chance to learn on that list but, in the top ten there are several Fijians.
(This subject may have been covered earlier, if so forgive me, I have the attention span of a goldfish these days.)
I have known Fijians who had such physical presence that I wondered how such a small island as ours could ever have been strong enough to dominate their country. Our Rugby team was full of these powerful people and yet they were the most gentle and courteous blokes you could ever hope to meet.
A lot of them joined our army, who remembers them ?

Brum
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 16:06

brum wrote:
I did 23 years in the British Army. In that time I have, (in my geriatric head) a list of "The nicest blokes I ever knew". There are Canadians, who's names I never had chance to learn on that list but, in the top ten there are several Fijians.
(This subject may have been covered earlier, if so forgive me, I have the attention span of a goldfish these days.)
I have known Fijians who had such physical presence that I wondered how such a small island as ours could ever have been strong enough to dominate their country. Our Rugby team was full of these powerful people and yet they were the most gentle and courteous blokes you could ever hope to meet.
A lot of them joined our army, who remembers them ?

Brum

Lots and lots of Fijian's are in the Armed Forces now, great Rugby players but can be a handful when drunk. :-)
Back to top Go down

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 17:30

I agree in part, back in the `70s the Fijians were great soldiers but from my experience the latest bunch seem to be a rather unruly crowd. There have been quite a few cases of rape by them in the catterick area! I wonder if they join up to get away from Fiji or to serve the Queen?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 20:31

That's a shame.
We had around ten Fijians in our regt in the early 70's and one of them was a sub-chief, apparently. They never caused any trouble, in fact some of them stopped our blokes "causing aggro" on a number of occasions, very persuasive fists !
Back to top Go down

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime4/4/2010, 20:59

brum wrote:
That's a shame.
We had around ten Fijians in our regt in the early 70's and one of them was a sub-chief, apparently. They never caused any trouble, in fact some of them stopped our blokes "causing aggro" on a number of occasions, very persuasive fists !
When I was serving in Detmold with 9/12th Lancers LAD we had about 4 serving and they were a great bunch.....but times change and like the youf of today standards are different now! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
snaijper
LCpl
LCpl
snaijper

Number of posts : 8
Cap Badge : RGJ/RGR
Places Served : Sarawak, Brunei, Berlin, Tidworth, Cyprus, South Georgia, Iraq, Jugoslavia, Croatia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Belize, Northern Ireland
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 10:18

1st Bn Royal Greenjackets had a full rifle platoon in the 1960's: I think it was 2 pln. A Coy! They were the mainstay of the rugby team under Lt. Col Kitson MC.,(Now General Sir Frank Kitson MC.,Ret'd); There were Fijians under my command in Tomislavgrad; who were serving with Light Cavalry: That would have been 1994: They were very good at digging Scorpion's out of mudslides and snowdrifts in the heavy winter,
snaijper
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 17:01

The QM Sgt. in 644 Sigs Trp R. Sigs was Fijian. Got to trade a RC Sigs hat badge and set of Cdn gut tools for a British issue wool sweater. This was before the Cdns had a similar issue. Good man that man. Unfortunatly my wife didn't realize that it shouldn't be washed in hot water.
Back to top Go down

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime28/5/2010, 03:08

I remembered Lofty Ricketts , REME , a Shotput Champion, and no wonder, he was not called lofty for nothing. But the one Fijian that I will always remember is the barrel- chested ,rugby player Tabavac who was with the Light Infantry in Lemgo, either 1Bn or 2 Bn. Somewhere in the LI archives there should be a picture of him level with the cross bar of the rugby goal posts. During pre- Northern Ireland training in Stornaway Barracks, he shinned up the drain pipes of the HQ building like a cat. It was said that on his second tour to Belfast ,on his first patrol .he stood in the middle of the street and bellowed,"TABBY IS BACK!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fiji   Fiji Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fiji
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: