BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Canadian memorials Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Canadian memorials

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime25/4/2010, 21:50

Like teabag, on another thread, I have been photographing war graves and memorials in the southern part of Cheshire.
Among over a thousand pictures there are twenty two Canadians from both WW1 and WW2.
If there is anyone who has an interest in this subject then please get in touch.

brum
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime26/4/2010, 16:29

brum wrote:
Like teabag, on another thread, I have been photographing war graves and memorials in the southern part of Cheshire.
Among over a thousand pictures there are twenty two Canadians from both WW1 and WW2.
If there is anyone who has an interest in this subject then please get in touch.

brum

Have you ever been to that church in North Wales Brum? Think it is Ruthin and I understand there are a lot of Canadians buried there. Flu epidemic at the end of the first war I believe?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime26/4/2010, 16:55

I've been past the place loads Alan but only stopped once, that was in the days before I knew what it was all about. Actually it's the Marble Church at Bodelwyddan, near St Asaph. The Canadians were from Kinmel Park camp, a sad story.
I'm toying with the idea of making a trip there next time I'm up in N.Wales, Out of my area I know but I wouldn't mind a folder with the graves in it, I believe there's over forty of them.

brum
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime27/4/2010, 15:01

brum wrote:
I've been past the place loads Alan but only stopped once, that was in the days before I knew what it was all about. Actually it's the Marble Church at Bodelwyddan, near St Asaph. The Canadians were from Kinmel Park camp, a sad story.
I'm toying with the idea of making a trip there next time I'm up in N.Wales, Out of my area I know but I wouldn't mind a folder with the graves in it, I believe there's over forty of them.

brum

This is where the Canadian rioted in 1919, due to the incompetence of the Canadian Govt.

"The mutineers were our own men, stuck in the mud of North Wales, waiting impatiently to get back to Canada – four months after the end of the war. The 15,000 Canadian troops that concentrated at Kinmel didn’t know about the strikes that had held up the fuelling of ships and which had caused food shortages. The men were on half rations, there was no coal for the stove in the cold grey huts, and they hadn’t been paid for over a month. Forty-two had to sleep in a hut meant for thirty, so they each took turns sleeping on the floor, with one blanket each.
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime27/4/2010, 16:07

often pass the marble church but never stopped but will make an effort to next time, this is a qoute from there web site regarding the canadians that died.

" Immediately to the west of the church is Kinmel Park, which was a military camp used by Canadian troops during the First World War. The churchyard contains the graves of numerous victims of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-19 in the camp. On 4-5th March 1919 a riot occurred in the camp when the ship allocated to return the troops to Canada was diverted to carry food supplies to Russia, and five Canadian soldiers were killed in the disturbances and subsequently buried in St Margaret's Churchyard; a common story is that they were executed for mutiny, but this has been denied by the Canadian Department of National Defence."
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime27/4/2010, 20:56

A good place to start, perhaps, would be

http://admieapp.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

This is the official site for Canadian postwar and military family gravesites.

this part of the site deals primarily with the gravesites in Germany and France (Werl, for instance) but there is a link to the main Dept of National Defence site. It may be possible, with a bit of burrowing around and such, to either find something about the Cheshire and Welsh sites or supply information to the site administrators about them.

Hopefully, someone in the bureaucracy either knows about these sites (I never did!) or is interested in knowing about them.

I would hope there was a list or some sort of permanent record of them and that the Canadian government (or it's bureaucracy -- governments come and go but the bureaucracy lives on forever!) is somehow involved in maintaining these sites and not leaving it up to local authorities.

I do know, for instance, the Werl cemetery recently -- as in recent years -- had a ceremony whereby the site was commemorated. It is usual in Germany, due to the shortage of land, to 'rotate' graves every 25 years and there was a concern the graves of Canadian soldiers and their dependents at Werl would be lost as it has been over 25 years since the first grave was established there and over 25 years since the Canadians left the area.

A preliminary perusal of the site reveals location listings for Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Northern Ireland and Scotland but none for Wales.

Listings under "England" include:

* Brookwood
* Cheadle-Gatley
* Farnborough
* Gosport
* Hebburn
* Helston
* Langar
* North Luffenham
* Portland, Dorset - Royal Naval
* Radcliffe-On-Trent
* Seaton
* St. Merryn
* Wallasey-Wirral
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime27/4/2010, 22:10

Well I am in Wallasey. Only found the one Canadian in Rake lane but the site says two? Believe I have covered all the official war graves but if anyone knows who the other is then please let me know.

Can't believe they rotate Werl cemetery. Talk about Liebensraum (sp?).
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime27/4/2010, 22:35

Teabag wrote:
Well I am in Wallasey. Only found the one Canadian in Rake lane but the site says two? Believe I have covered all the official war graves but if anyone knows who the other is then please let me know.

Can't believe they rotate Werl cemetery. Talk about Liebensraum (sp?).

There was talk of rotating it. But the Werl administration came to an agreement with the Cdn Govt in continuing for another 50 years with 50 more to be added. The Burgomeister insisted on a military honour parade for it by the Canadians which was done. The Canadian section of the grave yard has been redone (2003) new stones and landscaping. I have a former sister-in-law buried there and one comrade from 1 SSM Bty. So was there to check it out in 2003. They've done a wonderful job. Incidentaly most Canadian War Graves have also been redone.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime5/5/2010, 07:55

yes, I had heard some sort of accommodation had been reached in regards to the gravesites at Werl...well, perhaps "accommodation" isn't the best choice of terms here LOL....

I am pleased, even though I do not have anyone buried at Werl, that an agreement was reached to extend the lease, as it were, by another 50 years with 50 more added. By then, if the world is still around, it will be well over 100 years and I would think the sites would then qualify as "historic" and be maintained forever. One can hope!

Teabag....it is a common practice in Deutschland to rotate graves. The 25 year limit, I believe, is due to the likelihood any immediate family will have likely joined the occupant of the site and so no one will be traumatized by having no grave to visit.

There is a limited amount of space and so this is why the sites are "cleared out" after several years. Strikes most of us as a tad macabre, I know, and I have no idea what happens to the remains, but I am sure it is all handled with due care, consideration, and respect...it's not like Aunt Martha's bones are going to be tossed on the compost heap down at the end of the garden or anything!

Hardrations -- so pleased to hear the Cdn section has been redone and upgraded and that you think they've done a wonderful job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Canadian memorials Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian memorials   Canadian memorials Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canadian memorials
Page 1 of 1