Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
October 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Legion

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime25/5/2010, 23:16

Going by a pic in Cliff Walters book.they were definately worn at the begining of 68.There is no actual date given for the change over.I take it you missed the "house" era Mike?.I was senior term when they changed from companies to houses.The change was treated with disgust by most A/Ts and i believe was very short lived.Squadrons was the obvious choice when it was pure R Signals..

The junior leaders always wore "Jimmy"

Last edited by Gordon. on 26/5/2010, 06:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1045
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 01:15

Hey Ciphers. The Army, Navy clubs are the place. We have our monthly RCASC breakfast at the one on Empress St here in Wpg. They have a neat display of pictures and handwritten notes of the survivors of the Charge of the Light Brigade who later moved onto Canada. A rare item I'm thinking.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 09:07

Not being Royal Signals I never really took any notice Gorden! I have read Cliff Walters book and as yoy say no date is given. I owned my own house in Harrogate, but closest I was posted was Ripon!

Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 17:47

Mike_2817 wrote:
I moved to Harrogate in 1986 and I am sure they were all wearing the Jimmy by then, by that time the Junior Leaders had moved to Harrogate from Catterick as well. Would that have anything to do wth it?

Hi Mike
As I said above, to my recollection we changed to all R Signals regalia at the end of 1966. The Junior Leaders arrived in Autumn 1967 and they came from Denbury in Devon, not Catterick.

See their website --> http://www.denburyjuniorleaders.com/

Cheers Mike
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 17:58

Gordon. wrote:
Going by a pic in Cliff Walters book.they were definately worn at the begining of 68.There is no actual date given for the change over.I take it you missed the "house" era Mike?.I was senior term when they changed from companies to houses.The change was treated with disgust by most A/Ts and i believe was very short lived.Squadrons was the obvious choice when it was pure R Signals..

The junior leaders always wore "Jimmy"

House? Ugh! No 'twas all Squadrons by the time I got there (66C).

i.e; Scott, Phillips, Rawson, Penney, Senior and Recruit Sqns.

Rawson, Penney and Recruit Sqns were in the newly built Blocks. Scott Sqn were still in the Spiders across from the new Gym in Uniake, so I had the dubious pleasure of living in them and Phillips were still in Spiders down at Hildebrand. Senior Sqn had the seperate block near the Cookhouse, behind the new block that Scott Sqn moved into in Sept '67.

They actually did away with Senior Sqn during my time which was very disappointing to those of us who never made it there. The block was taken over as Permanent Staff Singlies accomodation.

Cheers Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 18:20

Not for me to say otherwise Mike as it was not my Corps, But even Col Cliff Walters mentions 180 Junior Leaders arriving, but I have to admit it does not say 'Catterick' so I may be wrong in that bit!

I do not have a copy of this book, but Harrogate Library does, and it mentions Junior Leaders arriving in 1985! in chapter 16!

LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 851
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 19:03

There is a connection here…

Please let me paraphrase the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Signals disbandment and Junior Leaders in the Royal Signals later on

The plan was in the mid 60s to move the regiment to Norton Barracks Taunton while Denbury Camp was rebuilt then return but the government ‘bean counters’ of the day pointed out so much was being spent on the rebuild of AAC Harrogate so the rebuild of Denbury was be cancelled as B Class Tradesmen could be created from adult intakes at Catterick…this proved to be shortsighted…the regiment disbanded Aug 67 with potential Radio and Comcen Ops going to AAC Harrogate to complete boy service training graduating Dec 68 and Apr 69…some boys were selected in 1966 to go to AAC Harrogate as A/Ts in Jan 67 as potential TG Ops and Techs a few more went in Apr 67

Then in late 1971 Junior Leaders were brought back into the Royal Signals but part of the adult intakes at Catterick later created a squadron then a regiment at Albemarle Barracks Ouston with many former Denbury Boys as permanent staff…then a disbandment in 1985 back to Catterick or Harrogate the last intake was 1992

There you go
Regards
Steve
Denbury Sep 64 to Dec 66
www.denburyjuniorleaders.com
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime26/5/2010, 19:44

Seems to link in!

Pennypot Camp closed in August 1996

To open again as:

The Army Foundation College in April 1998

Offering 16 to 17 years old's looking to join the Army a 50-week course of Army training and education (including 8 weeks’ paid holiday) after which they join regulars starting Phase II training.

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/5/2010, 03:21

I also remember on my Passing Out parade in July 1967, that it was also a Disbandment Parade for the REME Junior Leaders Regiment.
Back to top Go down

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/5/2010, 07:20

Quote :
do not have a copy of this book, but Harrogate Library does, and it mentions Junior Leaders arriving in 1985! in chapter 16!

That is correct Mike, but the first JLs arrived in September 67 when Denbury closed..These were lads who had not completed their training
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 851
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/5/2010, 07:57

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
do not have a copy of this book, but Harrogate Library does, and it mentions Junior Leaders arriving in 1985! in chapter 16!

That is correct Mike, but the first JLs arrived in September 67 when Denbury closed..These were lads who had not completed their training

Mike & Gordon
Both are correct the Junior Leaders arrived again in 1985 with Junior Leaders (26th) Regiment at Albemarle Barracks Ouston a former RAF base disbanded and the boys were split between Carrerick and Harrogate
Cheers
Steve - have the book!
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/5/2010, 12:17

At which I withdraw from the conversation as thread is titled 'Legion' I think we have deviated far enough from the thread!

Legion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legion   Legion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: