Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
October 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

What would?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

What would? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 22:07

graham wright wrote:
anyone tried the new brattie flavoured crisps from walkers?

Yep already mentioned and they are crap.

Stephen has just reminded me of something. Friend of mine owns a largish business/factory in Germany. Every month, management and workers have a meeting over drinks etc. Problems are discussed, plus everyone is told how the business is going. They never have any problems and everyone appears completely happy.

I'm not sure if it works everywhere or if it has changed in the current economic climate but it beats the us and them style we have in this country.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/6/2010, 08:58

I'm a bit confused there Stephen, when you say paid vacation is that not the norm in Canada then. I get 20 days paid vacation a year or 5 weeks I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/6/2010, 12:43

I think Steven means that the company pay for the holiday Jim! A Paid for Package Tour to selected locations... Not sure if I would like that myself? bumping into others from work etc.

Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/6/2010, 16:49

Oh i see, thanks Mike
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime9/6/2010, 19:37

Mike_2817 wrote:
I think Steven means that the company pay for the holiday Jim! A Paid for Package Tour to selected locations... Not sure if I would like that myself? bumping into others from work etc.

Sounds a bit like that strength through joy the nazis did or Soviet Russia. All pals together going away while the factory shuts.

Another way to keep an eye on everyone I suppose?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/6/2010, 04:21

Mike_2817 wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I thought I had clarified the difference between "paid vacation" (which, yes, we do get in Canada!) and "paid for vacation".
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/6/2010, 04:40

Teabag wrote:
Mike_2817 wrote:

Sounds a bit like that strength through joy the nazis did or Soviet Russia. All pals together going away while the factory shuts.

Another way to keep an eye on everyone I suppose?

Not sure I would go quite that far with it, but keep in mind there is a different approach to things in Europe, different even than what those residing on that huge island off the northwest coast of Europe (yes, I mean Britain!!) have. Certainly different than what the average mindset is here in N. America. Europeans, and I suspect this is partly due to everyone living in such close proximity to each other, just don't seem to have much of an issue with group activities (no no no...not THAT group activity, ya filthy-minded lot! LOL) and just go with it as a natural thing one does to be social and part of a society.

Those of us with a British heritage do seem to have developed a more independent sort of way of doing things, certainly on a broader scale than your average Continental European.

As a result, the idea of going off on a paid-by-the-company holiday, and probably vacationing with the very same people you worked with the rest of the year, while anathema to us appears perfectly natural to them. Just an assumption on my part and clearly there are exceptions. My guess is the new generation is not as willing or accommodating to the idea as their parents and grandparents were.

Not sure how I'd feel about holidaying with the people I work with day in and day out, although the up side would be it would give everyone an opportunity to see a whole different side of each other and get to know each other as individuals rather than as just co-workers. But that has it's down side too! Do I really want to know the rather fleshy divorcee from the widgets department is a dedicated nudist? Noooooo!!!! Ack.

Another cultural import I'd like to see, and this was touched on a bit about having meetings around a few drinks, is the casual approach to having a beer or two at work.

When I worked on construction in 1973 it was common practice for the Polier (foreman) to have cases of beer in his shed and this was doled out, not free mind you, to those who wished to have a beer in their team shed over the lunch break.

It was also not unusual to see workmen doing road work or what have you, having a bottle of beer or two during their breaks. Try that here and a lot of guys would be blotto by 2pm! So maybe not such a great idea after all....

There really was a far more casual, and civilized, approach to beer and wine consumption. When I tell folks here the legal drinking age for beer was 16 in Germany (which is why all the Canadian teenagers flocked to the gasthofs on weekends even though our legal drinking age at the time was 21), they either don't believe me or look aghast. There is a view that to "allow" 16 year olds to consume beer in a licensed establishment is to condone alcohol abuse and create future alcoholics or something. I don't think so. In fact, quite the opposites; by the time I returned to Canada (at 18 years of age and by which time the legal age was 18 in Alberta) I knew how to drink responsibly. Most of the bunch I hung out with had likewise grown up in Germany and had the same approach. Those of our acquaintance that had not and had lived all their lives in Canada went stark raving loony as soon as they could get into a bar and usually would drink themselves senseless. Bizarre.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/6/2010, 09:18

Hmm, very interesting Stephen. For all the years I lived and then served in Germany I didn't know about the holidaying together. As for drinking responsibly, what is it with us Brits. I never ever saw the Germans get in the state we did or the kids do here today.

Certainly in the Army I drank with friends and colleagues, but that isn't something I've seen since leaving the Army and working here in Civvy street. We get together about once a month in my current job and that's more than any other place I've worked.
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/6/2010, 22:46

I remember when the NAAFI bar used to open though lunchtimes and most of the pads would have a beer there. Wouldn't happen nowadays I don't think.

Talking of employee 'perks', I learned from a couple of the local Kripo lads who were regulars in our bar, that when they hit 50 years of age, they were sent for a month to a Kur (Health Spa) down south, paid for by the Stadt. The idea was to help ease them into a stress free 'older age', the aim being that they would take up the habit at their own expense thereafter. They just spent the month drunk.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 03:46

Well, your average German labourer was certainly fully capable of tying one on and then some!

I recall, and still feel my face grow hot at the memory (what memory I have of it all) that we got the day off from the building site because of snow.

Instead of driving us all home in the company kleine bus we had to stop off at every single individual's house for a beer or schnaaps or what-have-you. This was before noon, by the way!!

By the third or fourth stop yours truly (who was 20 or so at the time) was absolutely snockered. I couldn't even see straight, literally.

Here's what I remember:

At Willy's house in some village just south of Soest we were all sitting around his kitchen table, slamming back the what ever it was. I was already a bit pissed. Oh, and Willy was a corpulent, stupid, pig-headed, under-educated brute who despised anything foreign (and, to him Paderborn was foreign) and wasn't that well disposed toward me to begin with. What follows made our relationship even worse....

As we sat there, his little boy came in to the room. The kid was about 5 or 6. This is a bit hazy but as I recall, it was very clear the boy had had some sort of horrific accident and had lost an eye. Nothing there but a caved-in scar. I was so out of it I -- and I hasten to add VERY atypically for me who is usually bit of a sensitive soul -- took one look at the boy and came out with (auf Deutsch) "What the eff happened to him?!? He doesn't have an eye...."

Dead silence. Ooops....

Willy glowered at me. His wife left the room weeping. And I was told by our driver, who was a nice guy not much older than me, to shut the hell up! I did.

A few days later I got hold of a fellow on site, who was not part of my work team, who spoke English (used to rent to Canadians) and explained what had happened and that I needed him to assist me in apologizing profusely to Willy. He shook his head "It won't make any difference. Willy will hate you forever now..." but agreed to do it. He was right. Willy refused to accept the apology and for the rest of my time on that site refused to speak to me at all (not that he did previously) and I often caught him casting an evil eye at me. I think if he could have figured out a way to do it, he would gladly have done me in and disposed of my body in the sub-basement of the hotel we were building. Lucky for me, as I said, Willy was not very smart....LOL Vengeful, sure, but not intelligent.

Second story: As we were all back in the van and driving along to the next stop, somebody had supplied us with beer. I was very intent on trying to open my bottle in what I thought was a convenient location on the dash of the VW bus but the damn opener wasn't working. Well, no wonder. It was the air vent! The driver nearly had apoplexy. "Stefan! Nein, nein....nicht dar...Gott in Himmel, was is loss mit du??" (Stephen! No no, not there...good good what is wrong with you??")

We finally got the end of my street and I was let out...almost home!...and promptly fell face first into the snowbank. My next memory is coming to up on my sofa in my bedsitter with no recollection of having got there or how.

The horrors don't end there, however......

For some bizarre drunken reason I decided I needed a nice hot bath to sober myself up. Not such a bad idea, except as I ran the bathwater I also thought it a good idea to lie down for a bit and promptly passed out again. I was out for over 24 hours!

When I did come to my landlady -- bless her, she was so nice about it! -- informed me I had allowed the tub to overflow. A lot. To the point where water was pouring down into her front room/parlour and she had to mop it all up. I have no idea if any structural damage occurred from that! I hope not!

So, yes, over all I think I learned to drink responsibly but I had a few f**k ups.

Thing is, all of us were blotto that day....including the driver! I'm surprised we all made it home alive, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 09:05

LOL, LMAO Stephen. been there done that, sort of. Smile

I remember in 1 (BR) Corps we used to go to the Cpls Mess every lunchtime, 4 or 5 pints every day, looking back it was shocking really. That plus going for a drink on Friday evening at Pops at the back of camp and driving home well over the limit.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 13:56

Like you Jim, we used to stand drinking in the Mess through the lunch period. Freezing cold Amstel on an empty stomach then back to work. There was a hell of a drinking culture in those days.
Mind you, we were in Hohne, enough to drive anyone to drink, that place !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 15:05

There was indeed Brum. I certainly took part with gusto. LOL
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 16:46

i think it was the same at most camps the nco,s clubs at lunch time and a few beers being consumed it was the norm well it was at bunde and a few other places reading the replies, but when i went to tunis bks lubbecke i thought it would be different with it being HQ and it was about 10 o clock off we went to the naffi for bacon and sausage butties i was gobsmacked that not one person nco or private had tea or coffee everyone had a couple of bottles of amstel there was no ncos club as it was such a small camp so the atmosphere was very friendly, there was a sergents mess and by the looks of them they enjoyed an early morning tipple.

paul.
Back to top Go down
PaddyQ
Sgt
Sgt
PaddyQ

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : R Innisk Fus / RAOC
Places Served : M Gladbach. Fallingbostel. Osnabruck
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 16:47

How right you are Rocky. The UK is a cess pit and only because successive Governments have not had the balls to get a grip and meddling 'dogooders' have a lot to answer for.
During my time in BAOR in the early 60s it was customary that females did not smoke in public.
If you seen a female smoking in public it indicated that she was 'on the game'
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 18:33

brum wrote:
Like you Jim, we used to stand drinking in the Mess through the lunch period. Freezing cold Amstel on an empty stomach then back to work. There was a hell of a drinking culture in those days.

Oh yes! Verden could do the same to you.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 19:04

I think every troop/squadron bar had a sign that said The CO (OC) has ordered that only singles may be sold at this bar. Woe betide anyone that gave the CO (OC) a single when he visited though. Actually I never saw a single served. No one kept pfennigs to buy one. I think it was about 70Pf for a double at the time. Ludicrous, no wonder half of BAOR were alkies.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 851
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 19:31

mjm34 wrote:
brum wrote:

Oh yes! Verden could do the same to you.

1969 Corporals Mess 1 Div Verden-Aller at the weekend after a midday meal then 1 litre bottle Bacardi + 1 litre bottle Coke EACH playing cards all afternoon down to the cookhouse for tea back to the block get changed and downtown for numerous beers or to a disco in a village on the back road to Bremen...B Tp 3 Sqn kept that venue to ourselves...happy days!
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 23:17

Nice to see i wasn`t the only pisshead in those days drunken
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1045
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime11/6/2010, 23:54

Our old Chief Clerk a Staff/Sgt (former British Army) told us,on arrival in 64 we wouldn't drink Germany dry. I didn't, but I think I had Iserlohn Pilsner working over time.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 00:46

Teabag wrote:
I think every troop/squadron bar had a sign that said The CO (OC) has ordered that only singles may be sold at this bar. Woe betide anyone that gave the CO (OC) a single when he visited though. Actually I never saw a single served. No one kept pfennigs to buy one. I think it was about 70Pf for a double at the time. Ludicrous, no wonder half of BAOR were alkies.

It didn't take long for me, as a novice, to move from singles to half-litres. Singles and the next size up were what the ladies drank...theoretically! (saw more than a few comely frauleins throw back a half litre!). I forget the cost, but it was dirt cheap as I recall,even for half-litres. One mark, at most and probably not even that much.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 00:48

Hardrations wrote:
Our old Chief Clerk a Staff/Sgt (former British Army) told us,on arrival in 64 we wouldn't drink Germany dry. I didn't, but I think I had Iserlohn Pilsner working over time.

Well, with a challenge like that, what self-respecting soldier (to say nothing of teenage offspring!) wouldn't rise to the occasion and give it a damn good try?? I know we all did, that's for sure.

Mmmmm...Iserlohner Pilsner! I remember it well. Not my favourite brand, but I drank my share of it. My favourite was either Warsteiner or Veltins.
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 17:02

I used to love the brewery trips that we went on every now and then. The best ones were Herforder and Barre Brau (over at Lubbecke). I don't think Scottish & Newcastle would entertain the thought, although I am led to believe that Black Sheep (the off shoot of the original Theakston's Brewery) do have open days.

The Barre Brau people knew exactly why we were there and cut the 'science' bit to a minimum, good lads that they were. Straight to the bar and drinking like ten blokes! They used to lay on those half brotchens with various cold cuts, cheese etc, as well. Very hospitable!
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 17:36

Stephen Lock wrote:
Teabag wrote:

It didn't take long for me, as a novice, to move from singles to half-litres. Singles and the next size up were what the ladies drank...theoretically! (saw more than a few comely frauleins throw back a half litre!). I forget the cost, but it was dirt cheap as I recall,even for half-litres. One mark, at most and probably not even that much.

As I recall, the Cpls Mess at 1 Div wouldn't sell singles because it was too much messing about with change. i.e. a double spirit and a bottle of mixer came to 1DM.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime13/6/2010, 18:20

PaddyQ wrote:
How right you are Rocky. The UK is a cess pit and only because successive Governments have not had the balls to get a grip and meddling 'dogooders' have a lot to answer for.
During my time in BAOR in the early 60s it was customary that females did not smoke in public.
If you seen a female smoking in public it indicated that she was 'on the game'

One Sunday afternoon a WRAC boarded the train I was on, and was a bit taken back that she was admonished by some German women while on the paltform for smoking in public. On my last posting to Muenster in 1978/79 I was surprised to see ordinary German women smoking in public.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: