BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

What would?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rocky
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2009-11-23

What would? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 16:37

LiDL takes some slating but I love it! You're right about the bratties Jim, they are the real McCoy. They did do Frikadelles for a while but I haven't seen any of recent times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 16:37

I can't imagine bratty crisps somehow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 16:38

We can still get the Frikadelln here in Sutton Rocky, possibly because I buy lots of them Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 16:39

Bratty crisps ? Philistines !

It'll be Fricadelle on a stick next !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1043
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 18:26

There's an ideal spot for a braty stand near my place. The neighbour hood is predominalty Mennonite (read German). I'm severly tempted. All so a liquore store and Hotel (pub) close by. And two schools.

Don't get any better than that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 19:07

We have a Continental Market here in Harrogate every 3 months and a Bratty Stand makes good business, I buy a bottle of Curry Ketchup from him to make my own CurryWurst.

Rocky
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 20:36

Mike, could you flag up when the next market will be on please? I'm just up the road. The old LiDL did stock quite a bit of the proper German gear up here for a while, but it obviously wasn't the hit they hoped that it would be, despite the large Army populous. They only stock bratties and those little frikadelles made from turkey which are alright, but don't quite take me back to where I want to be. Christ, an outsider would think I was on drugs reading this. I can make my own curry ketchup, but there's no beating the proper job. I cant get proper zenf either.

We have a French market up here every now and then but slugs and frogs legs never quite did it for me, drunk or sober.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 20:38

The only thing that puts me off the continental market bratties is that they are about four quid a go. I think they cost about £1.89 for six from Lidl (yes they are good), so even with overheads it is a bit over the top. I suppose as a treat now and then.

Is this now the official Bratty and all things German and tasty thread? Mind you it's times like this when it is so hot that the thought of a real beer in a real bar with real froth and real condensation on the glass appeals greatly.

About time we organised at trip. Some of the lads still live there and I am sure they will put us up! Only kidding boys, no need to apply for a posting.

Just seen your post Rocky. They have big yellow plastic bottles of Zenf in our local B & M. They are pretty cheap and don't seem to be moving well at all. Can't remember the brand but begins with K and I am sure we had the same over there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocky
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 20:46

I'd go back tomorrow mate and so would the missus. We only left a couple of years back but by God do we miss it. We actually have conversations about what we would be doing if we were back in Germany. It was a marvellous place if you were willing to get off the beaten track and have a go at the lingo. Even the rules that the locals lived by and their half day shopping every Saturday of the month but the first, sort of made sense. We rarely used NAAFI, and preferred to shop in the local supermarkets and shops. As someone mentioned earlier, the Sunday afternoon stroll was great and unlike here, you didn't feel out of place by actually walking somewhere. If we ever win the lottery, we're off. Like I said earlier, the only thing stopping us is the cost of the international schools.

What's the B & M Teabag?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 22:00

B & M is a cheapo shop we have locally. I think they are mainly based in the North but not so sure. Good for cheap beer as well.

Oops just realised it wasn't B & M that had the Zenf it was Home and Bargain which is similar to the other one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/6/2010, 22:17

Here is the website of a German Deli in London that does Mail Order

https://www.germandeli.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154c06c935f127f/shopdata/index.shopscript

Postage costs are a little on the high side, so check first!

If you are in London the shops worth a visit

Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 00:29

We're lucky here in Winnipeg. Big German population, so a good choice of German butchers, resturants, etc. Walk into German meats on Portage Ave. and I'm back in Germany. Whaa it's a lovely smell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 07:27

It's Kuhne (with and umlaut) Zenf. Costs two quid on that website for a jar but Home and Bargain are selling it for less than a quid for a tall plastic bottle. The type we used to buy currywurst sauce in etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 14:02

That's strange, for some reason I'm salivating here. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 14:17

Sounds like we're back into the, Sounds and Smells of Germany", site again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 14:28

Teabag wrote:
It's Kuhne (with and umlaut) Zenf. Costs two quid on that website for a jar but Home and Bargain are selling it for less than a quid for a tall plastic bottle. The type we used to buy currywurst sauce in etc.

That does not surpise me mate, as almost all Deli items cost more in the UK

Rocky
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 21:04

Hardrations wrote:
Sounds like we're back into the, Sounds and Smells of Germany", site again.

Sounds good to me! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocky
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 21:05

Mike_2817 wrote:
Teabag wrote:

Two quid or not, my order is going in tomorrow! There's loads of great stuff on that site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 21:41

Rocky wrote:
Mike_2817 wrote:
Teabag wrote:

Two quid or not, my order is going in tomorrow! There's loads of great stuff on that site.

Postage is fifty nicker Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 22:39

Around £6 at least!

Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 22:50

Well as I am 60 tomorrow I will be having a barbie with bratties from Lidl and will treat myself to a tube of zenf. Don't think I will be cutting little butties up though. Very Happy

Only seems like yesterday when I was enjoying the real thing. Where do the years go?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 23:10

Have a good un Teabag drunken
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 973
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 06:30

Hi Teabag .. crack a bottle of Pils for me .. all the best youngster .. 60, it seems about seventeen years ago .. wait a minute, it WAS seventeen years ago .. am I having fun yet ??

Len(Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 09:07

Quote :
Only seems like yesterday when I was enjoying the real thing. Where do the years go?

Tell me, I really must go back to germany, even if it's only for a long weekend break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrisP
WOI
WOI
ChrisP

Number of posts : 100
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Sennelager, Mil Wing MPH, Ditton, Hohne, Sennelager(again), Newcastle and Rheindahlen
Registration date : 2010-02-12

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:31

Happy Birthday Capt Teabag. Here's to many more
ChrisP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-