BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 48 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 48 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

What would?

Go down 
+15
Crunchie
dandc
ciphers
jim
oldtimer
Rocky
Stephen Lock
Hardrations
Mike_2817
Mikey
ChrisP
mjm34
steve
brum
Teabag
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

What would? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 11:21

teabag

Birthday greetings from Woollybackland !

brum
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 11:31

Happy Birthday teabag, I hope you have a great time. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 11:43

Teabag wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Mike_2817 wrote:
Teabag wrote:
It's Kuhne (with and umlaut) Zenf. Costs two quid on that website for a jar but Home and Bargain are selling it for less than a quid for a tall plastic bottle. The type we used to buy currywurst sauce in etc.

That does not surpise me mate, as almost all Deli items cost more in the UK

Two quid or not, my order is going in tomorrow! There's loads of great stuff on that site.

Postage is fifty nicker Very Happy

It's only £6 odds for orders up to £50. You need to get yourself down to SpecSavers mate!

Happy birthday to you!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 14:19

LOL Rocky Wink
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 16:24

Rocky wrote:
Teabag wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Mike_2817 wrote:
Teabag wrote:
It's Kuhne (with and umlaut) Zenf. Costs two quid on that website for a jar but Home and Bargain are selling it for less than a quid for a tall plastic bottle. The type we used to buy currywurst sauce in etc.

That does not surpise me mate, as almost all Deli items cost more in the UK

Two quid or not, my order is going in tomorrow! There's loads of great stuff on that site.

Postage is fifty nicker Very Happy

It's only £6 odds for orders up to £50. You need to get yourself down to SpecSavers mate!

Happy birthday to you!!

Yeh I know but I just got a dirty great tube of it for £1.49. Yes I will enjoy it. Thanks for the good wishes all.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 17:25

happy birthday teabag,have a great day.[got your bus pass yet]
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 10:11

dandc wrote:

The last Government changed the rules on getting your bus pass so that you no longer get it at 60. Should have got mine in August but now have to wait until next January, assuming the rules don't change again!

Maybe the German Social Services is something we should import, although I understand that they are no longer as generous with pensions and allowances as used to be the case.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 11:16

mjm34 wrote:
dandc wrote:

The last Government changed the rules on getting your bus pass so that you no longer get it at 60. Should have got mine in August but now have to wait until next January, assuming the rules don't change again!

Maybe the German Social Services is something we should import, although I understand that they are no longer as generous with pensions and allowances as used to be the case.

Mike

If you were born before 6 April 1950, you are still eligible from your 60th birthday.

However, if you were born after 5 April 1950, you will need to check. The State Pension age for women is changing. This means that the age at which both men and women become eligible for a bus pass is changing too.

To check at what age you become eligible, enter your sex and date of birth into the State Pension age calculator.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/DG_4017919

I dont get mine till I am 63!

Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 12:08

Mike_2817 wrote:

If you were born before 6 April 1950, you are still eligible from your 60th birthday.

However, if you were born after 5 April 1950, you will need to check. The State Pension age for women is changing. This means that the age at which both men and women become eligible for a bus pass is changing too.

To check at what age you become eligible, enter your sex and date of birth into the State Pension age calculator.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/DG_4017919

I dont get mine till I am 63!

Yep! That's where I found out I was going to have to wait an extra 5 months. At least it means there are one or two advantages in being older Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 13:18

D.O.B. 01/ 03/50. had no trouble getting pass,i knew the pensionable dates were changing but did not know this applied to bus passes,i am sorry you gents must wait a while longer,i live in newcastle upon tyne and it really comes in handy as parking charges on some streets here is £2 per half hour.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 16:55

I can get a bus pass on 6th July this year. God knows why the slight delay? I can live with it.

Zenf went down very well and transported me back a few years. Bratties were nice but not quite the same. I suppose it is the way they cook them or perhaps what they cook them with?
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 17:41

Heres my favourite method:

Stage One

1.Prick each sausage with a sharp fork, to keep them from bursting during cooking.

2. Put into a skillet with about ½ inch of water, and cover with lid.

[This semi-cooking in water softens the wurst and cooks the centre and prevents it getting over burnt by grilling alone]

3. Cook over medium heat till water is evaporated.

DO NOT BOIL!
This may burst the skin, simmer instead.

Stage 2

4. Uncover and brown a bit, over low heat, with the small amount of fat in the skillet.

5. Add onions and brown to add flavour to the wurst..

6. After onions have browned add a cup of beer (if desired or use water or stock) and simmer for 5 minutes till beer has evaporated.

7. Serve in a bun with a bottle of German Beer (very important - not a glass)

To make a CurryWurst

Prepare Wurst & Onions as above.

a. Cut the wurst into slices, and add browned (or raw) onions to taste.

b. Put a little Tomato Ketchup into the empty skilit (or small dish to microwave)

c. Add some mild currey powder and mix in to flavor, and warm up, but do not boil.

(Use German Curry (Gewurz) Ketchup if you have it)

d. Place cut wurst and onions to taste on paper plate, and cover with Curry Source and sprinkle papricka on top.

e. Serve with a bun and/or Pom Frites (chips)

7. Serve with a bottle of German Beer (very important - not a glass)

Jobs a good un.

Last edited by Mike_2817 on 5/6/2010, 22:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 17:55

onions? with currywurst = hot dog. [sorry havent learnt how to do the clcky link thing] but if you google currywust museam,very interesting,

Last edited by dandc on 5/6/2010, 21:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 18:28

Teabag wrote:
I can get a bus pass on 6th July this year. God knows why the slight delay? I can live with it.

Apparently the way it works is like this. The pensionable age for women is gradually being moved from 60 to 65 over a number of years. To make it "fairer" (oh really!) the nearer a woman was to age 60 when this changeover started the less extra time is needed to reach pension age.

As part of these rules a woman is not eligible for the bus pass until she reaches pension age, whenever that may be. Also it was decided that men would also only qualify for the bus pass at the same age as a woman born on the same day. That's why, although we were both born in 1950 that you have to wait and extra month or so and I have to wait an extra 5 or so months. Thank-you Gordon for that parting gift!

And you all thought Military Regulations were convoluted.

Mike
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 18:32

Oh and actually on topic.

Does anyone remember the little packets of diamond shaped salmiac liquorice. I used to love them as a kid as well as the salmi lollies.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 20:31

Rocky wrote:
Stephen, we have a local Tesco (large supermarket chain) Store here, where the car park is practically a race track and double yellow lines have reverted from 'no-parking/waiting' signs to roadside decoration, ignored completely by taxi drivers and anybody else who 'lives by their own rules' (to steal your phrase). It's not just the civvies though. There is a row of parking space outside the store dedicated to disabled drivers and another for 'Mums & Toddlers', both of which are frequently used by soldiers in their early 20's, in uniform and in Army vehicles, too pig ignorant or idle to park farther into the car park and walk that extra 50 or so metres. The last bastion of decency/courtesy has fallen.

Amazing....While I appreciate folk have better things to do than write off to the local camp commander about the conduct of his troops in the community I kind of think one has to...whether one gets any results, well, that's another issue! Or a phone call, which is a tad more immediate.

Rocky wrote:
There's a McDonalds next door to Tesco, where it is not an uncommon sight to see squaddies lob their empty wrappers out of the window of their Landrover/Japanese 4 wheel drive/mini bus, rather than walk the 10 or so metres to the dustbin. I've watched Officers and SNCOs in uniform walk past these clowns and totally ignore them. The trail of rubbish leading from one part of the local area in a virtual straight line to the nearest camp is a disgrace, although one of the RSMs had a few of his troops outside the camp cleaning up last week.

Another pet peeve of mine, being one or two steps away from a dustbin and not deposit one's refuse in it but simply drop it on the ground.

The shop I work at is next to two high schools and an elementary. The junior and senior high school students are dreadful little so-and-sos. If I dare suggest to them they not drop their garbage all over my parking lot and to use the dustbins I am more often than not met with reams of abuse. These are 14 and 15 year olds!!! Barring them, which we've done as well, doesn't work as they simply come in on someone else's shift or -- get this! -- their damn parents descend on us demanding to know why we are picking on Johnny or Suzie! I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all!!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 20:35

Hardrations wrote:
We're lucky here in Winnipeg. Big German population, so a good choice of German butchers, resturants, etc. Walk into German meats on Portage Ave. and I'm back in Germany. Whaa it's a lovely smell.

We have a fairly significant German population here in Calgary as well but it seems any "German shop" they open, if they open one, is Bavarian or Black Forest. Not what I am looking for at all.

There are a couple of German/Danish/Dutch pastry shops here and there and that's close enough for me!
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 22:12

dandc wrote:
onions? with currywurst = hot dog. [sorry havent learnt how to do the clcky link thing] but if you google currywust museam,very interesting,

Shop around and you find all sorts of variations. Same as there are more than one type of Wurst....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currywurst for the history

The method I show, is the basis, not the favourite for everyone, but how to prepare YOUR favourite variation!

Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/6/2010, 23:17

only pointing out that traditionally,bockwurst,bratwurst,currywurst are not served with onions in germany,if it is served with onions and in a finger roll then its a hotdog.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 00:04

Lets not fall out over this, a 'Hotdog' is a completely different sausage and is boiled in brine.

Tradition does not come into it as every town/village has its own ways! and onion is an option not a fixed requirement!

I also like them with Potato Salad or Sauerkraut or dare I say it mashed potato! You see I am not fixed in my ways!

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 00:24

Quote :
Thank-you Gordon for that parting gift!

??????????????????

Did i miss something?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 00:52

Last time I had a Bockwurst I threw up on guard mounting.

Can we, perhaps, talk about fungal nail infection ?
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 09:50

my appologies to all for [being a moaning minie] and mike i have no intention of falling out with anyone,to get back to the threead,i would like to see the german common sense of the highway imported to england,and get rid of this american type compen culture.
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 12:30

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Thank-you Gordon for that parting gift!

??????????????????

Did i miss something?

Sorry for the confusion Gordon. I meant the ex Prime Minister as it was his Government that brought in all this bus pass qualification date shifting.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/6/2010, 14:41

Despite being over 60 What a Face here in Germany NO bus passes and still pay for prescriptions BUT bus fares are reasonable along with the car parking charges in Iserlohn you have 20 mins free...best of all decent public transport...Länder-Tickets in Nordrhein-Westfalen from 9 am to 3 am next day euro 26 for a group of up to 6 people valid on buses, trams and the rail services except IC and ICE if for 1 person a 2 hour travel anywhere in Nordrhein-Westfalen for euro 16 or a single day journey for euro 25...also Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket then whole of Germany to 5 people for euro 37 Saturday or Sunday from 3 am for 24 hours except IC and ICE...not bad at all
Hope the change of subject is OK
cheers from sunny Iserlohn
Steve
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would?   What would? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum