BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 44 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 44 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Wearing service kit

Go down 
+14
steve
Themaadone
Hardrations
brum
john mcmillan
ChrisP
mjm34
Mikey
ciphers
bob
Stephen Lock
dandc
jim
Teabag
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Wearing service kit - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 09:27

brum wrote:
Same here Jim. Mind you, I learned .303 drill in Boys.

Learning the drill for SLR was a bit of a pain I remember, 'specially the recover from the Present. (Kept bringing my foot up on the first movement...painful !).

I've got a deactivated .303 and find the drill comes back quite easily, even after all this time.

When I did my RPC one Brum, one of the things you had to do was give a drill lesson. I chose to do the present and shoulder arms in the old .303 drill with an old .303 they had in the armoury. The training team were well impressed and I got top marks. Smile
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 11:04

"Showing my age", Steve ? You're not wrong there mate !
The "Absent Friends" section of our Old Comrades is starting to look like a Casualty Return from the first day of The Battle of the Somme !

We got SLR around '60 - '61, I think. We would have been a lower priority for issue, I imagine, as we were equipped with 5.5 Mediums in those days.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 11:08

jim wrote:
brum wrote:
Same here Jim. Mind you, I learned .303 drill in Boys.

Learning the drill for SLR was a bit of a pain I remember, 'specially the recover from the Present. (Kept bringing my foot up on the first movement...painful !).

I've got a deactivated .303 and find the drill comes back quite easily, even after all this time.

When I did my RPC one Brum, one of the things you had to do was give a drill lesson. I chose to do the present and shoulder arms in the old .303 drill with an old .303 they had in the armoury. The training team were well impressed and I got top marks. Smile

Handling the .303 I've got, I notice that the rifle is a lot heavier than it used to be !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 13:35

LOL, Is that the weapon or you mate. Smile
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 15:07

Aah yes . . the old Shrinking Waistband Syndrome !

(I hope that's what you mean, Jim !).
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/9/2010, 09:11

LOL, yes indeed mate
Back to top Go down
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

Number of posts : 62
Cap Badge : Mercian Brigade, 1st Bn Worc Rgt
Places Served : Uk, Honduras,Tripoli, BAOR, UK, Tobruk, Gibraltar, short stints in Canada, USA, Barbados & Dominica
Registration date : 2007-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/9/2010, 13:22

Ah! Nostalgia kick in.

BD The joys of pressing it. Like trying to make a horse blanket into a dinner jacket.
However it had at least evolved from the wartime version and I've always thought that a well fitted and pressed BD complete with buff blancoed belt n gaiters and polished brasses took some beating in the smart uniform stakes. Mind you it had to be seriously tailored, shaved and generally customised to get the look but was well within the means of the average squaddie
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/9/2010, 13:39

ah yes, soaping the creases was fun.Smile
Back to top Go down
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

Places Served : Uk, Honduras,Tripoli, BAOR, UK, Tobruk, Gibraltar, short stints in Canada, USA, Barbados & Dominica

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/9/2010, 19:08

He! He! Soaping the creases, yep great fun but it had an unfortunate side effect in that it rotted the material. I recall a guard mounting when the stickman, having been selected, was fallen out. He executed an impeccable turn and as he raised his knee to the prescribed height His BD trousers split right down the crease. much to the amusement of the guard and the bemusement of the Orderly officer. His trousers, it turned out, had been shaved and soaped to excess. lol!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/9/2010, 09:58

Nice to see someone else mentioning "Stick man", Wrinkles.

BD seemed to attract bullshit somehow. We had to paint our tapes with white Blanco, trade badges had to be brass and those front pleats taken out. Why they didn't just modify the BD, instead of bringing out that horrible No 2 dress is beyond me.

How about the greatcoat then, eh ? eh? Running about in the pouring rain with a soaking wet greatcoat on. Absolute purgatory !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/9/2010, 10:38

Greatcoat???Was that the thing that hung on the side of my locker??I can`t remember ever wearing it apart from when it was issued and tried for size.Got rid of it when i left BAOR for sunnier climes.and never had one after that.

Running about in the rain brum..? The very thought makes me feel weak.Must go for a lie down now. pale
Back to top Go down
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/9/2010, 14:15

Ah! But it was a Great coat. Mine spent more time on top of my bed as an extra blanket when in the dreaded wooden spiders at Norton barrack in the winter. But yes a soaking wet greatcoat was to a squaddy the equivalent of a ball and chain. And Just how did you go about pressing one of those things. Soap was no good 'cos as soon as it rained you disappeared into a mass of bubbles. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/9/2010, 16:04

i cut my greatcoat down to car coat size,exellent for driving ferrets.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/9/2010, 16:57

dandc wrote:
i cut my greatcoat down to car coat size,excellent for driving ferrets.

We has some lads do that with old great coats in the days before a proper battle dress was issued. This was in the early summer and bush issue was the dress of the day. We only had a skimpy WW 2 wool issue sweater and bush jacket for warmth on cold rainy days. Well the C.O. ( a definite dip stick) had us parade on end of a most miserable exercise on the prairies and ordered the lads with these modified great coats were not to be worn at any time. This while he was wearing the same and continued to do the same on cold days. Often wondered how we got through WW 2 with some of these officers.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/9/2010, 17:00

Did I just get promoted?

If so.

No modified great coats allowed.

Sgt Mjr...... Who's that idle man, looking warm and comfortable in a modified great coat.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime24/9/2010, 10:35

Yay, welcome to the senior officers mess hardrations. Smile

Wrinkles, which Norton Bks was that, the one I remember outside Worcester was all brick buildings in the '60's

I had a cut down great coat, it was erm.... great Smile
Back to top Go down
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime24/9/2010, 17:08

jim wrote:
Yay, welcome to the senior officers mess hardrations. Smile

Wrinkles, which Norton Bks was that, the one I remember outside Worcester was all brick buildings in the '60's

I had a cut down great coat, it was erm.... great Smile

That would be THE Norton Barracks, Off Norton Road, Worcester. It is now, mostly, beneath a housing estate, However the Keep, housing the regimental museum, is still there.

In the early 60's up to at least '64 a large proportion was brick built but away beyond the square, roughly between what is now Salamanca Drive and Vimiera Close, or in that area, there were wooden spiders. I know they were there as I had the pleasure of residing in the one that was furthest building away from the NAAFI. which was about halfway between, what is now Gazala drive and the keep.

Should you wish to have a look at the site as it is today search "Norton Barracks (Worcester),UK" in google maps. You will be presented with a point on Crookbarrow road near the junction with Norton road, follow back along Crookbarrow, across the roundabout 'til it becomes Norton Road again. Opposite the junction with Gazala drive is the keep.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 14:28

wrinkles wrote:
Ah! But it was a Great coat. Mine spent more time on top of my bed as an extra blanket when in the dreaded wooden spiders at Norton barrack in the winter. But yes a soaking wet greatcoat was to a squaddy the equivalent of a ball and chain. And Just how did you go about pressing one of those things. Soap was no good 'cos as soon as it rained you disappeared into a mass of bubbles. Rolling Eyes

Just to rub salt in the wound. We had a bullshitty CO who had the guard in Best BD, Best Boots and in the Winter, Greatcoat with a Blancoed belt round the outside to hold everything in. (Carrying a High Velocity Pick Helve, scraped white by the SUS.)
I'm sure Ivan had second thoughts about invading when he heard about it !
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 22:14

I was issued a great coat. They gave us buttons to sew on which as you probably know is a pain in the bum to do as the material was so thick. Took mine home to mummy and she did it. Then they got withdrawn. Such is life.

I quite liked them when it was cold.

We only got ordinary pick helves Brum. Think our SUS's were all picking up dog ends.
Back to top Go down
handler 69
WOI
WOI
handler 69

Number of posts : 160
Cap Badge : RACT
Places Served : Army Reserve TA
Registration date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 09:15

Hey lads!
We were issued BD's when I was in the ARES, they were hideously horrible during summer!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tassietanks.com
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 20:40

handler 69 wrote:
Hey lads!
We were issued BD's when I was in the ARES, they were hideously horrible during summer!

Did my email address reach you mate ?

brum
Back to top Go down
handler 69
WOI
WOI
handler 69

Number of posts : 160
Cap Badge : RACT
Places Served : Army Reserve TA
Registration date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 22:35

Yes mate expect a reply today...have been a tad crook. Thats why haven't been on of late.
Cheers
Troy
Back to top Go down
http://www.tassietanks.com
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/9/2010, 16:20

Wrinkles, we lived in a MQ on Norton road, just by the back of the BKS, near the Gym. Smile That must have been pretty near your time, I'd be about 15 or 16 and going to Worcester Royal Grammar. It was the LF's in Norton then. Do you remember the NAAFI Manager, short fat little poof, he tried to seduce me when I worked there for a summer job. Judd his name was I think.
Back to top Go down
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/9/2010, 23:06

Jim, I didn't frequent the NAAFI at Norton Barracks except for morning NAAFI breaks so I don't believe I ever met that character. I do recall some MQ's in that area and they would have been fairly close
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/9/2010, 09:18

There was a line of about 12 of them on the Norton road, all '50's semi's mate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wearing service kit   Wearing service kit - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wearing service kit
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next