BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
July 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

BFBS on DAB radio

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 68
Cap Badge : RASC & RAOC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Minden, Mannheim/Seckenheim
Registration date : 2007-07-13

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime29/1/2008, 18:23

Don't know if anyone else has come across this yet but, bought a DAB radio the other day and when tuning it in, came across BFBS. It doesn't appear to be available every day but that could be because I don't get a particularly strong signal.
Back to top Go down
JT

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime5/2/2008, 14:55

Shame that this site isn't advertised on BFBS or wider. It's f*cking ace, the lad who kicked it off has done well and has certainly caused the memories to come flooding back.

This site clearly needs a wider audience if it is to fulfil the good intentions of the owner, which were to give us old sweats some place to reminisce.

There are very few contributions by us the readership here in the forum, which is a bit of a shame.

The main site is as our cousins from o'er the pond would say...outstanding. It truly is and on that basis alone, it deserves a wider audience. Christ,100's of 1000's of us served in BAOR....we're clearly not all dead. For me, landing in Germany at the ripe old age of 17yrs was the best thing ever. I can't say that I've never looked back, as I clearly have. I spent some of the best years of my life there. Certainly some of the funniest!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime6/2/2008, 09:56

I agree JT

I'm a member of RAOC Online,

I'd be happy to promote this site there if Admin agrees
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime6/2/2008, 16:32

jim wrote:
I agree JT

Good idea Jim. there's a link to BAOR Locations on the PRS site. If you do plug this one, you might mention the BFBS on DAB radio too.
John L
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime6/2/2008, 16:33

jim wrote:
I agree JT

Good idea Jim. there's a link to BAOR Locations on the PRS site. If you do plug this one, you might mention the BFBS on DAB radio too.
John L
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime10/2/2008, 18:22

Ahhh...BFBS. Even as Canadians, many of us listened to BFBS as, I am somewhat loathe to admit, the quality of broadcasting was superior to the Canadian CAE (later CFN down in Lahr)...good news spots, BBC inputs, clever radio quizz programs, excellent music...over all just a damn good piece of work! That and Radio Luxembourg!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime11/2/2008, 19:11

.......and....what about AFN? We used to be woken up at 0700 with 'Red, red robin, keeps bob, bob bobbing along....etc.,' The Yanks had the best forces radio service in the 1950's I reckon. But 'Radio Lux' sure changed our listening habits-and the Brit. Goverment continually tried to shut it down too!!

Those were the days!
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime12/2/2008, 16:29

I'd be happy to do that, but I'll wait for Admin to agree.

Ah PRS, wonderful School, those happy dyke runs on a freezing cold morning

Smile
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime16/2/2008, 00:44

redcap70 wrote:
.......and....what about AFN? We used to be woken up at 0700 with 'Red, red robin, keeps bob, bob bobbing along....etc.,' The Yanks had the best forces radio service in the 1950's I reckon. But 'Radio Lux' sure changed our listening habits-and the Brit. Goverment continually tried to shut it down too!!

Those were the days!

Oddly enough, I don't remember us (i.e. Mom, Dad and me) listening to American Forces Network...no doubt the technical aspect would have been excellent -- the Yanks did have tons of money for their bases and weren't at all shy about investing in them -- but I suspect, and it's merely a suspicion, we didn't listen to AFN in our household because my mother, most likely but possibly Dad too, couldn't stomach the jingoistic aspect. We were not great fans of the Americans Razz

Now, why would the British Gov't try and shut down Radio Luxembourg? Surely not because of the rock music??
Back to top Go down
rheydt h

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime16/2/2008, 19:34

I have listened to the contemporary BFBS, for some reason i kind of expected it not to have changed since the 80s, and was dissapointed it wasnt! No Richard Nankivel!! who else was there, Mike Allen, that Astbury bloke, Tommy Vance in the afternoon. Before BFBS tv used to listen all the time, kind of a throw back to the 30s, enjoyed radio dramas and comedies.
Back to top Go down
redcap 7

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: BFBS   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime17/2/2008, 04:28

How could any British troops who served with US forces not like the Yanks?

On our shit poor pay, they felt sorry for us and took us into their PX clubs;made us welcome and even bought us some of their goodies-something our stingy lot never did!

Why did the Brit. government try to shut down Radio Lux? It has always taxed everything and everyone, so the Radio Lux guys bought a ship and anchored it outside of Brit. jurisdiction. The radio station would not pay unfair taxes so the government tried (unsuccessfully) to hound it off of the air-waves. Radio Lux was way ahead of its time and brought much joy to the younger listeners.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime17/2/2008, 19:02

redcap 7 wrote:
How could any British troops who served with US forces not like the Yanks?

On our shit poor pay, they felt sorry for us and took us into their PX clubs;made us welcome and even bought us some of their goodies-something our stingy lot never did!

Oh, no doubt that's quite true! But then, you see, my dad wasn't a Brit serving with US forces, he was a Canadian serving in the Canadian Armed Forces and, later circa 1972, was attached to you fellows while he closed out the balance of the old Canadian Brigade Area and completed the various transfers to BAOR.

And of course, living right next door to them back home...well, we probably have bit of a different perspective Laughing

I will give credit where credit is due, however...we did enjoy going down to the base at Frankfurt periodically as it was a slice of home, or close to it. Pancakes for breakfast. Hamburgers that tasted like hamburgers. Chocolate milkshakes. Hearing pretty much familiar accents, by and large, around us. Also nice to walk around the base and see a Howard Johnson's (a large motel chain in US and Canada), an A&W (hamburger chain, predates McDonald's -- a better tasting burgers too, IMHO) and sleep in beds that had sheets and blankets on them rather than duvets! Not that we didn't like to snuggle down under a duvet, it was just seeing beds in a hotel room with sheets and blankets was "home." And of course the PX was full of product we just couldn't get in Germany and sometimes couldn't get in our own CLFEX (or MLS, depending on which era one was in Germany)...also known as CANEX.

redcap 7 wrote:
Why did the Brit. government try to shut down Radio Lux? It has always taxed everything and everyone, so the Radio Lux guys bought a ship and anchored it outside of Brit. jurisdiction. The radio station would not pay unfair taxes so the government tried (unsuccessfully) to hound it off of the air-waves. Radio Lux was way ahead of its time and brought much joy to the younger listeners.

Ahhh, yes, I remember now!! The bit about the ship. Pirate radio. Thought that was brilliant back then. Radio Lux absolutely was a godsend to a 17-year old starved to hear the latest tunes. I don't remember specific programs anymore, of course (I barely remember what I had for dinner last night Wink ) but I do recall many a night curled up on my bed in my room listening to Radio Luxembourg!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime18/2/2008, 10:42

I don't remeber anything but BFBS in the '50's either, but by the time I joined in '70's we used to listen to quite a few different stations
Back to top Go down
Doc Savage
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-03-20

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime21/3/2008, 14:56

Good old BFBS, Two way family facourites on a Sunday, and comedy shows like Round The Horn, starring Kenneth Horne himself. I used to listen to the AFN during the week for the Country and Western Music shows, something BFBS did not have. Does anyone remember the Guide Dogs for the Blind appeal they used to do at Christmas?
Jim you say you are a member of an RAOC site, would that be RAOC Online and are you the JimBond of that site?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime26/3/2008, 13:37

Doc, yes it is RAOCOnline, but I'm not Jim Bond, though I do know him via the board, PM me if you want me to contact him for you
Back to top Go down
GEM
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 11
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Delmenhorst, Oldenburg,Hilden Lubbecke,Hildesheim Sennelager
Registration date : 2008-01-12

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime26/5/2008, 20:14

I well remember Wireless for the Blind appeal at Christmas. Messes used to via with each other to reach the highest total. I recall a piano being auctioned for the winner to smash up!!
Anyone remember the presenter "Cardboard Boots"? I believe he is still a TV reporter (sports reporter?)

Re our American allies. I was married in Oldenburg to a Sgts daughter. The military teenagers all listened to AFN and by providing transport we had the American Forces dance band at our wedding!! (My father-in-law was MT Sgt!). GEM
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re:- Radio Luxembourg   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime27/5/2008, 00:31

I would tend to disagree with the comment about Radio Luxembourg and the ship - I think Radio Caroline was being thought about there, they had two ships and you can see some of their history if you go here:-

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/history3.asp

It was, I believe, the B.B.C. that initially called Radio Luxembourg a pirat way back in 1933 Rolling Eyes

There is a site, although it seems to have either been translated from another language or written by someone where English is not their first langauge (and no insult is intended) with regard to the history of Radio Luxembourg here:-

http://www.pjede.de/208/index_2.html

BFBS using digital radio was part of a 3 month trial that ended on 31st March this year. These two sites, below, show a description of the trial:-

http://blogs.rnw.nl/medianetwork/bfbs-ends-dab-digital-radio-trial-in-uk

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/news/display.asp?searchnews=&year=&id=295

As for "Asters" aka Richard Astbury, I think you may find that he is now a holder of the M.B.E. and still going strong (even after his recording of the "Drinking Man's Diet")- God Bless Him :-

http://www.richardastbury.co.uk/

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime4/6/2008, 22:03

Paul wrote:
I would tend to disagree with the comment about Radio Luxembourg and the ship - I think Radio Caroline was being thought about there, they had two ships and you can see some of their history if you go here:-

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/history3.asp

It was, I believe, the B.B.C. that initially called Radio Luxembourg a pirat way back in 1933 Rolling Eyes

[snip]

Paul.

You are, of course, quite correct...it was Radio Caroline that I was thinking of. As I age my mind does tend to...uhm...tend....ahhh...what? Who is this? Uh? Laughing

At any rate, Radio Luxembourg, BFBS et al clearly had some sort of effect on me as I ended up hosting a community-based, current affairs program on the local community/campus radio station for 14 years and my 'style' was very much affected by BBC/BFBS and CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp aka "Mother Corp") and some of the calmer RL types. All very subliminal, of course, not a conscious influence.
Back to top Go down
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime10/7/2008, 14:21

Am I the only one that remembers that BFBS started life as BFN?, I can still hear the 1800 club, [ must be getting old]and who could forget the half hour long adventure stories? My brother and I used to be glued to the old Grundig listening to shows like the Lone Ranger, and the shadow, [ who knows what evil lies in the hearts and minds of men? The Shadow knows!] A little later 'Uncle Bill' came on the scene, his stories nearly always involved sticky buns, I met up with him many years later, he was the first openly gay man I had ever met, but he could sure tell a story!
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime10/7/2008, 18:21

No Ian, you're not alone in remembering the BFN days. I can remember BFN, not only in BAOR but in Austria too until we left there in 1955. I especially remember "Journey into Space" and "Day of the Triffids", probably because they scared me the most.
Back to top Go down
islandgirl
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 11
Cap Badge : Dad:- 10th Royal Hussars (PWO)
Places Served : Iserlohn, Tidworth, Aqaba, Tidworth
Registration date : 2007-08-03

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime12/7/2008, 20:36

Being at PRS 51-53 can remember listening to AFN and Radio Luxemberg after lights out, and hoping no-one would hear us. Always had the latest music.
Back to top Go down
Ian-redcap70
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Ian-redcap70

Number of posts : 65
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Bielefeld, Colchester
Registration date : 2007-08-16

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime12/7/2008, 20:51

Yep...we were always greeted with "When the red red Robbin comes bob bob bobbin' along..." , first thing every morning on AFN!
Back to top Go down
http://www.redcap70.net
geoffrey withers
LCpl
LCpl
geoffrey withers

Number of posts : 8
Cap Badge : royal artillery
Places Served : BAOR ADEN
Registration date : 2007-11-23

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime14/7/2008, 17:20

What great memories this thread has revived.I was stationed in Menden then Delmenhorst.On our wages we could do little but listen to the radio(if there was one in your room).
My favorite programme was "the Munich melody mart on AFN.
does any one know the name of the signature tune to this prog?All I know is that it was played by the Les Browne band.
I wonder if the fund raising programmes we have on TV these days are based on the Wireless for the blind programmes?MMMM.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BFBS on DAB radio Empty
PostSubject: Re: BFBS on DAB radio   BFBS on DAB radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BFBS on DAB radio
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: