BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 50 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 50 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Walter Mittys.

Go down 
+22
JPW
cartav
steve1226
Hussar100
Eric England
dandc
Dulaigh
rucjock21
unclevanya
bigmal
pete26
gingerjim
jim
Teabag
"john boy"
Mike_2817
ciphers
jimsigs1
brum
steve
Shelldrake
jazzhed96
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 18:03

I lived there in a dream I once had.
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Number of posts : 232
Cap Badge : REME 1972 - 1984
Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.
Registration date : 2013-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime25/7/2013, 18:12

steve1226 wrote:
I lived there in  a dream I once had.

Did this dream involve 6' guys with spears?
Back to top Go down
steve1226
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 47
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Osnabruck, Plymouth, Hemer, Menden. @ tours NI, 1969 and 1970
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime26/7/2013, 22:05

Yes Eric and also John Bird trying to convince me to try the amazing mild taste of Silk cut cigarettes from the Benson and the Hedges fag making company from the UK in England. Who else remembers that brilliant pastiche of the Zulu film which was shown in cinemas during the ad break? As they were surrounded by the Zulus John Bird, in full Zulu regalia ,appears.
"These gentlemen from the Benson and the Hedges fag making company in the UK in England tell me it only takes two weeks to get used to the amazingly mild taste of the Silk Cut cigarettes........... And that's about how long you got!"
Brilliant. Never get away with it nowadays on more than one count. I can't recall the rest of the dialogue. I saw it so many times at the old Globe cinema that it used to be my party piece.
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

Places Served : Arborfield, Deepcut Camberley 25 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 4 Lt Regt Catterick/NI, 655 Sqn AAC Detmold, QRIH Padderbon, 9/12 Lancers Muenster, 655 Tank Tptr Sqn Fallingbostel, HQ REME 3rd Armd Div Korbecke, SEE Arborfield, HQ REME Trg Center Arborfield.

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime27/7/2013, 10:58

steve1226 wrote:
Yes Eric and also John Bird trying to convince me to try the amazing mild taste of Silk cut cigarettes from the Benson and the Hedges fag making company from the UK in England. Who else remembers that brilliant pastiche of the Zulu film which was shown in cinemas during the ad break? As they were surrounded by the Zulus John Bird, in full Zulu regalia ,appears.
"These gentlemen from the Benson and the Hedges fag making company in the UK in England tell me it only takes two weeks to get used to the amazingly mild taste of the Silk Cut cigarettes........... And that's about how long you got!"
Brilliant. Never get away with it nowadays on more than one count. I can't recall the rest of the dialogue. I saw it so many times at the old Globe cinema that it used to be my party piece.

You could even smoke in Cinemas in those days but smoking was supposed to be back few rows only.

I was very young when this film was shown and watched it on my own, I was down near the front of the Cinema and was engrossed in the film when this perv sat next to me and I did not notice he had his hand on my leg until he lit a cigarette. I grabbed his fag and stubbed it out on his hand, boy did he scream, he ran like a madman out of the Cinema. A lady with a torch asked me what happened and I explained to her, she then took off after him, don't know to this day if they caught him. I was more angry at missing part of the film.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/2/2014, 13:10

A lady with a torch asked me what happened and I explained to her, she then took off after him, don't know to this day if they caught him. I was more angry at missing part of the film.[/quote]

This "Lady with a torch", was she dressed as Florence Nightingale by any chance? Suspect 
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/2/2014, 13:17

Shelldrake wrote:

A lady with a torch asked me what happened and I explained to her, she then took off after him, don't know to this day if they caught him. I was more angry at missing part of the film.

This "Lady with a torch", was she dressed as Florence Nightingale by any chance? Suspect [/quote]

She was dressed like a bus clippy, you know the big bruiser type of lady, not the sort of gal you want to argue with.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/2/2014, 13:35

Mmmmm My favourite. Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Eric England
Maj
Maj
Eric England

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime15/2/2014, 13:45

Shelldrake wrote:
Mmmmm    My favourite. Shocked 

Well, if you like the bulldog breed, you would need a very strong leather lead for this one mate. I was only a kid at the time and she put the fear of god into me, no hanky panky in cinema's back then dude.
Back to top Go down
Dee Z
WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime16/2/2014, 22:01

Achtung Scaleys

ImageFra.me
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime16/2/2014, 22:18

Clearly a Walt.

Cap badge over left eye.

2014 ?

Come On !

(Anybody here ever see the UDR, early 70s ?)
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/2/2014, 18:51

icelands stores anti shoplifters patrol
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Walter Mittys. - Page 6 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/2/2014, 19:57

brum wrote:

Clearly a Walt.

Cap badge over left eye.

2014 ?

Come On !

(Anybody here ever see the UDR, early 70s ?)

I wonder if the plebs sorry fuzz er police I mean know that he has a big gun and wearing a scaly beret  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/2/2014, 20:39

Very contradictory, he is sporting an Offrs cap badge but carrying a rifle, surely he should have a pistol?
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime17/2/2014, 21:35

Shelldrake wrote:
Very contradictory, he is sporting an Offrs cap badge but carrying a rifle, surely he should have a pistol?
...................................................................................................................................................................

Somebody will tell otherwise, I expect, but with a very, very short Scaley service behind me, that is an OR's capbadge, ain't it ? But, to me, that SLR looks as though someone has cut a bit off the end.......... were Jewish rifles issued for NI ?
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime19/2/2014, 21:52

Walter Mittys. - Page 6 200929_fn_fal__091212900_1139_24042012

Looks like an early FN FAL Short Para Carbine (The SLR is based on the FN FAL) later versions have a folding stock as well.

Walter Mittys. - Page 6 00001_178

Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime20/2/2014, 17:22

[quote="Mike_2817

Looks like an early FN FAL Short Para Carbine (The SLR is based on the FN FAL) later versions have a folding stock as well.
[/quote]

.....................................................................................................................................................

Thanks for that Mike............ Can't imagine the loss of half a barrel could do much for accuracy and the flash must
have been frightening to the user.  Can't find any refs to the Brits having these in number, but I  suppose one or two might have
drifted down to Scaley units who'd be less likely to use one.  Comment from any Banner boys appreciated ........... And
apologies for wandering  away from Mitty.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime20/2/2014, 18:24

Could still be a Walt Pic yet! I'm thinking an 'Airsoft' version and someone dressing up here and getting the weapon wrong...

Never saw a FN Short Para Carbine in British Service, but the Argies used the Folding Butt FN in the Falklands War in '82

WOI
WOI
Dee Z

Number of posts : 169
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Pembroke Dock, Lippstadt,Plymouth, Middle east, Singapore
Registration date : 2011-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime21/2/2014, 07:55

Don't recall RS patrolling in NI, especially wearing welders goggles and with denims 4 sizes too big, Is it a Brazilian made copy of the SLR/FN, called a scorpion
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime21/2/2014, 10:26

Roger to that.
I note his finger isn't resting on the trigger guard, (that could earn you a slap).
Definite Walt.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime21/2/2014, 11:23

brum wrote:
Roger to that.
I note his finger isn't resting on the trigger guard, (that could earn you a slap).
Definite Walt.

...........................................................................................................................
So that's it then........ An Argentinian welder wearing a beret 1950's style with badge over left eye, empty 56  pattern pouches, self acquired boots
and a sawn off 7.62 look-alike, on anti-tomcat patrol in a snow bound compound securely protected with stout timber fencing.......What's odd about that ?
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime21/2/2014, 12:11

Dee Z wrote:
Don't recall RS patrolling in NI, especially  wearing welders goggles and with denims 4 sizes too big, Is it a Brazilian made copy of the SLR/FN, called a scorpion

Back in 1972/3 in 3 Inf Bde & Sig Sqn us Cpls and below went out on patrols around the brigade area attached to infantry regiments for 2 or 3 days as stand in for guys on R&R...remember doing Bessbrook/Armagh/Dungannon...also 260 Sig Sqn attached to a RA regiment in Dortmund did three infantry tours with their regiment...
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime21/2/2014, 16:31

That geezer's flak vest looks a bit posh, while we're at it.
Ours used to stink like an old arab but at least there were pockets on the front -( Rt hand one, magazine of 28 rounds - Lt one, two Mars bars).

Does ANYONE know the origin of that photo ?
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime21/2/2014, 17:33

brum wrote:
...............pockets on the front -( Rt hand one, magazine of 28 rounds - Lt one, two Mars bars)......

.............................................................................................

Bit of deviation, but then we were playing at  it on  schemes, almost Mittys.........  Our 37  Pattern pouches never contained live or even blank rounds ( times were bad, only  allowed 42 rounds a year for classification), but pouches were handy for mugs enamel, shoe brushes etc,, packets of hard  tack biscuits and of fags..KFS was in trouser map pocket, we never had maps either.
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime21/2/2014, 23:43

Defffo a Walt, the uniform looks like its made up, and the gat he is holding looks like one of those plastic put together models.... anyway '38 pattern webbing and ammo pouches went out years ago..... twat!!  affraid 
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime22/2/2014, 12:32

(Taking a "deviation" leaf from Cartav's book !).

Was anyone watching the shenanigans in Kiev on the news ?
That Short 7.62 Soviet round doesn't seem to have much stopping power, I noticed people who were hit getting up and running about a bit.
I think it's a different story with the 7.62 NATO round.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walter Mittys.   Walter Mittys. - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walter Mittys.
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next