BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
October 2022
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Reminiscing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smudger
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-09-14

Reminiscing Empty
PostSubject: Reminiscing   Reminiscing Icon_minitime14/9/2022, 12:28

Hi All.

My father was a Clerk of Works in the Royal Engineers and spent some time in BAOR during the 1950s to the 60s, culminating being stationed near Antwerp in Belgium prior to returning to the UK to be demobbed. He was responsible for the upkeep of the military buildings, barracks, married quarters etc.

It was the norm then for regiments to move en mass after a tour, usually returning to the UK before the next posting. In my father`s case, because of his role, he was always attached to a regiment and consequently we only moved within Europe. So, here`s a potted history:-

Braunschweig (Brunswick). East Surrey Regiment.
Wolfenbuttel 12th Royal Lancers.
Hannover HQ
Hoek van Holland (Hook of Holland). There was a transit camp for troop movement by troopship from Harwich before continuing to BAOR in Germany by troop train. When the RAF took over troop movements the camp was closed, my father being the last person stationed there and effectively giving the keys back to the Dutch mayor.
Antwerp, Belgium. HQ
UK demob.

On returning to civvy street my father held a post as a surveyor, doing a similar job to his army role but with the Surrey TA.

Once we`d moved to Holland I became of age to attend secondary school and since the BFES system only had primary schooling at the various BAOR bases, I ended up going to boarding school back in Germany at Windsor Boys School in HAMM.

So, if anyone knew my father, S/Sgt Doug Smith RE, or indeed me from school (Richard Smith, Balmoral House), do touch base.
Back to top Go down

Reminiscing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: BAOR-Locations Site Submissions & Amendments-
Jump to: