BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org
 
HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
July 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
CalendarCalendar
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search

 

 Fallingbostel

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fred Flintstone
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-03-08

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime10/3/2007, 10:57

Does anyone have any photos of the old officers mess which was burned down after the liberation of the POW camps? Is it true that it would have faced the Boar pub?
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 161
Age : 62
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime10/3/2007, 21:02

Fred Flintstone wrote:
Does anyone have any photos of the old officers mess which was burned down after the liberation of the POW camps? Is it true that it would have faced the Boar pub?

The only photo of the mess I've seen was in a book called 'The Heidemark' written by a German called Baumann. It was opposite the 'Hairy Pig', stone from that building was used in the construction of Lumsden and Wessex Bks Officers Messes!
Back to top Go down
Fred Flintstone
LCpl
LCpl


Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-03-08

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Stone   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime12/3/2007, 19:43

Talking about stone.
I was speaking to a mate of mine the other day and he told me about the cobbled road that ran in between the two camps. It has only just been laid over with tarmac (last couple of years or so). Anyhow, cut a long story short, it was laid by our boys in Stalag XI B. The fiery Jock that headed up the work party had supposedly instructed the boys to fit the cobbles upside down to give the Jarmens as bumpy a ride as possible. He might be right there. I used to wonder how long my suspension would last on the approach to camp.
The other little rumour I heard was about the guard room for the infantry battalians (lately - Highlanders, BW, RHF etc - not sure of the exact MB number) on St Babaras Barracks had a morgue and also examination table in the cellar (like the one shown on the Glynn Hughes - Hohne page). The guard commander would have great delight in sending his young Toms down there in the dead of night, telling them it was part of their duty to check on it!
Back to top Go down
Keithmacfarlane
Private
Private


Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2007-07-12

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime12/7/2007, 19:47

I was stationed at Fally 69-71 Raoc stores section 20heavy reg RA. We had to go down the cobbled road to the Stores Section,When we scraped the walls in our accomadtion there was big German writing on the walls we knew it was something to do with the S.S.No cental heating then just a stove. What a place.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 161
Age : 62
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime14/8/2007, 22:03

Fred Flintstone wrote:
Does anyone have any photos of the old officers mess which was burned down after the liberation of the POW camps? Is it true that it would have faced the Boar pub?

Here is a pic from the ruins looking over towards Queens Avenue, to the left of the 'Hairy Pig!!! affraid



Fallingbostel OfficersMessFallingbostel1945
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Age : 70
Localisation : gateshead
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime25/5/2009, 15:15

i remember fally well it was my first posting in germany,my regt [15/19H ]took over from the RSDGS ,in nov 1969,freezing cold,two man rooms pot belly stoves and coal briquets in the cellar, troops of this era must know lumpy jaws at the x roads. as for the cobbled rds my late uncle was a pow in fally, and his story was the pows laid the cobbles upside down to try and rip the tyres to shreds.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 161
Age : 62
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime26/5/2009, 08:42

dandc wrote:
i remember fally well it was my first posting in germany,my regt [15/19H ]took over from the RSDGS ,in nov 1969,freezing cold,two man rooms pot belly stoves and coal briquets in the cellar, troops of this era must know lumpy jaws at the x roads. as for the cobbled rds my late uncle was a pow in fally, and his story was the pows laid the cobbles upside down to try and rip the tyres to shreds.

'Lumpy Jaw' aka Klaus ran the 'Weehouse' which is now a second hand car place! When I joined my Regt (3RTR) in 75 one of the first fatigues I did was clearing out the cellars of all the old coal, which was mostly dust! Mad
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Age : 62
Localisation : Worksop, Notts
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime17/4/2012, 18:46

I remember those cobbles well, gave a really rough ride in any military vehicle and not much better in a car. You couldn`t ride a bike on them they would have destroyed it.
The roughest part for me was the bit that ran past the rail heads just before the junction with the Fally- Oerbke road.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Age : 62
Localisation : Worksop, Notts
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime17/5/2012, 18:26

Talking of Fally.
Any one recall the little peddle boats that were for hire at a boat shed by the river.Me and my mates used to go on these things on a regular basis in the summer.
I`m sure we almost reached Soltau on more than one occasion, by going much further up river than we were supposed to.
Great times, and cheap, too.
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Number of posts : 15
Age : 66
Localisation : Doncaster
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime14/4/2013, 08:37

soprano54 wrote:
dandc wrote:
i remember fally well it was my first posting in germany,my regt [15/19H ]took over from the RSDGS ,in nov 1969,freezing cold,two man rooms pot belly stoves and coal briquets in the cellar, troops of this era must know lumpy jaws at the x roads. as for the cobbled rds my late uncle was a pow in fally, and his story was the pows laid the cobbles upside down to try and rip the tyres to shreds.

'Lumpy Jaw' aka Klaus ran the 'Weehouse' which is now a second hand car place! When I joined my Regt (3RTR) in 75 one of the first fatigues I did was clearing out the cellars of all the old coal, which was mostly dust! Mad

Remember the weehouse well. Fallingbostel was my first posting (15/19th KRH) in 1973.
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col


Number of posts : 330
Age : 81
Localisation : Northumberland
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime14/4/2013, 18:58

Welcome Telymech good to see another reme on the site, cant have the scaleys and gunners having a majority.

BobG
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Number of posts : 15
Age : 66
Localisation : Doncaster
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime15/4/2013, 14:41

Thanks for the welcome Bob. Theres some quite interesting info here but it takes a while to wade through it all. Very Happy

I`ve been out since 1981 and the memory is fading now. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3045
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime15/4/2013, 14:45

BobG wrote:
Welcome Telymech good to see another reme on the site, cant have the scaleys and gunners having a majority.

BobG



Welcome Telymech - only two (Regular) Gunners at the moment but we do like to be noticed!! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Number of posts : 15
Age : 66
Localisation : Doncaster
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime15/4/2013, 15:07

Thanks Shelldrake.

I never served with an artillery unit but I have a short story which may/may not amuse you.

In around 1973 just before I embarked for Fally, I was selected to do something called "Satisfied Soldier" in Leeds. All we had to do was turn up at the recruiting office where we first signed up for a few days and do some PR work. There were only two of us the other chap being RA.

My problem was that I`d forgotten to bring any kind of head dress with me, not even a beret, and as we were to be wearing No2 dress I was slightly in the poo.

On the second day we both toddled along to Hyde Park in Leeds where there was an Army recruiting tent at a show. My RA oppo offered to lend me one of his twat hats as he`d brought all his kit with him. The only problem was going to be the cap badge so I just held the twat hat under my arm disguising the badge.

It all turned out well though as after mingling around the tent for half an hour we both did a runner to the nearby Hyde Park pub and spent 3 hours sampling Tetleys bitter.

People kept buying us drinks for some reason. Probably because there weren`t that many soldiers around at the time wearing full parade dress. Razz
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col


Number of posts : 330
Age : 81
Localisation : Northumberland
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime15/4/2013, 17:03

Shelldrake it must be all the noise you Gunners make that gives the impression that there are many more of you. Very Happy

BobG
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 161
Age : 62
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime15/4/2013, 20:28

BobG wrote:
Shelldrake it must be all the noise you Gunners make that gives the impression that there are many more of you. Very Happy

BobG

Well they do need six men to do one man's job! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3045
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime16/4/2013, 07:53

soprano54 wrote:
BobG wrote:
Shelldrake it must be all the noise you Gunners make that gives the impression that there are many more of you. Very Happy

BobG

Well they do need six men to do one man's job! Shocked



Bitch!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 79
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime16/4/2013, 11:23


Rejoining this net I notice a certain uppityness in the ranks of the junior regiments.
I suspect, Sheldrake, that they've noticed how thinned our ranks are and thought they'd try their luck.
Having glanced at the news item on the rehearsal for Thatcher's funeral I will just say that , without the Gunners, The Iron Lady's coffin would be getting transported in a ................., (enter as appropriate).
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3045
Localisation : Camberley
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime16/4/2013, 12:00

brum wrote:

Rejoining this net I notice a certain uppityness in the ranks of the junior regiments.
I suspect, Sheldrake, that they've noticed how thinned our ranks are and thought they'd try their luck.
Having glanced at the news item on the rehearsal for Thatcher's funeral I will just say that , without the Gunners, The Iron Lady's coffin would be getting transported in a ................., (enter as appropriate).



My suspicions also old bean, it doesn't do them any harm to be reminded of their place from time to time! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes


I am off to warmer climes later today but I shall be on listening watch. sunny sunny Cool


Last edited by Shelldrake on 16/4/2013, 12:03; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To rub it in that I shall be in Cyprus for 2,5 months.)
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Number of posts : 15
Age : 66
Localisation : Doncaster
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime29/4/2013, 19:39

Boozer in Fally.

Bit of a long shot but does anybody remember the Feldschlossen pub from the mid 70`s?

I`ve seen some pics of a place called the "Copper Kettle" run by a guy called John Lacey for a while and it looks very like it.

Could it have been renamed sometime?

Other drinking establishments of that era were:

The Ratskellar (Run by Forte who also had a minicab business)

The Amstof

The Lowenbrau

The Ruckself (Rucksack)

The Weehouse (already mentioned)
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 161
Age : 62
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime29/4/2013, 20:04

Telymech wrote:
Boozer in Fally.

Bit of a long shot but does anybody remember the Feldschlossen pub from the mid 70`s?

I`ve seen some pics of a place called the "Copper Kettle" run by a guy called John Lacey for a while and it looks very like it.

Could it have been renamed sometime?

Other drinking establishments of that era were:

The Ratskellar (Run by Forte who also had a minicab business)

The Amstof

The Lowenbrau

The Ruckself (Rucksack)

The Weehouse (already mentioned)

Telymech the 'Copper Kettle' is situated opposite and just up to the left of what was the Lowenbrau, which is/was still a restaurant serving Balkan type food. The Feldschlossen is now called the La trattoria:- http://la-trattoria.de/Bildergalerie/
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Number of posts : 15
Age : 66
Localisation : Doncaster
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime30/4/2013, 13:34

Thanks very much for the info soprano54. Very Happy . They grey matter has got a little confused there.

I mainly went to the Feldy for nights out and then on to the Ratskeller when it closed. Embarassed

I was only in Fally for around 18 months and never went back except briefly when I was on the Clansman installation team in 79/80 and stayed in the transit block at Wessex. I think the Coldstream Guards were there then.

Went into town one night and saw Rita and Sid at the [Ratskeller] renamed to the Friendship.

Rita was the waitress at the Feldy and Sid was 42 Heavy in 73/74 and was more than surprised to find them both running it.
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 161
Age : 62
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime30/4/2013, 15:02

Telymech wrote:
Thanks very much for the info soprano54. Very Happy . They grey matter has got a little confused there.

I mainly went to the Feldy for nights out and then on to the Ratskeller when it closed. Embarassed

I was only in Fally for around 18 months and never went back except briefly when I was on the Clansman installation team in 79/80 and stayed in the transit block at Wessex. I think the Coldstream Guards were there then.

Went into town one night and saw Rita and Sid at the [Ratskeller] renamed to the Friendship.

Rita was the waitress at the Feldy and Sid was 42 Heavy in 73/74 and was more than surprised to find them both running it.

Always a pleasure.................never a chore! To be honest I can't remember the Ratskeller nor the Rucksack, probably named differently during my time in 'Falling-Bar-Stool' Dec 75 - Jul 76, Jul 92 - Sep 02, Jun 05 - Jul 07. See pic for Lowenbrau and Feldy LOCSTATS:-

Fallingbostel Fally-1_zps16330310
Back to top Go down
Telymech
Cpl
Cpl
Telymech

Number of posts : 15
Age : 66
Localisation : Doncaster
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Fallingbostel, Minden, Arborfield again, Marchwood, Osnabruck
Registration date : 2013-04-14

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime1/5/2013, 13:37

Thanks again. Very Happy Don`t know how I could confuse the Feldy with the Copper Kettle as the Feldy is obviously much bigger.

Ta for the map. Gets everything in perspective now.

The Ratskeller (as the name suggests) was just up the road from the Rathaus. Don`t think it was very popular as it was a bit bit of a dive even by squaddies standards and never went in much before 2.00 AM.

I see the Lowenbrau is now known as the Hotel Karpinski.








[img]Fallingbostel QrSdFHb[/img]
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 161
Age : 62
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime1/5/2013, 13:56

Telymech wrote:
Thanks again. Very Happy Don`t know how I could confuse the Feldy with the Copper Kettle as the Feldy is obviously much bigger.

Ta for the map. Gets everything in perspective now.

The Ratskeller (as the name suggests) was just up the road from the Rathaus. Don`t think it was very popular as it was a bit bit of a dive even by squaddies standards and never went in much before 2.00 AM.

I see the Lowenbrau is now known as the Hotel Karpinski.

I think 'The Ratskeller' is now called 'Die Tageszieten':- http://www.restaurant-die-tageszeiten.de/, take a look at the pics on their site and it's just up from where the old Rathaus was. What was the 'Lowenbrau' has always been part of a hotel, the entrance to the restaurant is under the white awning!

Fallingbostel Fally1_zps35fdbe87
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Fallingbostel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fallingbostel   Fallingbostel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Fallingbostel
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: Locations within BAOR and NW Europe :: Fallingbostel-
Jump to: