BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

the sounds of germany..the 70s

Go down 
+23
"john boy"
Nutstrangler
whitehorse660
Norman
Themaadone
stuartmartin
jerry
Shelldrake
ChrisP
mjm34
jim
bob
brum
recymech
Buzz
Bugsy
Paul
Teabag
alan8376
Hardrations
Stephen Lock
dandc
graham wright
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
graham wright
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 114
Cap Badge : naafi and efi/raoc
Places Served : baor, sardinia, saudi, benbecula and colly
Registration date : 2009-02-08

the sounds of germany..the 70s Empty
PostSubject: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime19/9/2009, 21:47

Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime19/9/2009, 21:50

who never fell in love with this beautiful young lady in the 70s,the best german female singer i ever heard...graham...
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime19/9/2009, 21:56

here is another of marieannes songs,all i need now is a large iserlohner pils and a frikedelle mit senf,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhXixDOzwE
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime19/9/2009, 22:15

how did you find time to watch tele, i was too busy eating drinking and chasing women,dave.
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime19/9/2009, 22:56

if you wanted a german girlfriend you had to know what was in the german charts and at least attempt to learn to dance like a german in the local disco...graham..
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime20/9/2009, 11:04

thinking about it,we [soldiers] were barred from decent places, in detmold anyway,and the nice girls never went to dives,dave.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime20/9/2009, 18:40

Plus, a good solid German family would be horrified to learn their Kleine Maedchen was dating a....gasp!!....squaddie! Good grief, I know of good solid British Army families that did everything in their power to prevent their girls from dating any of you lot! LOL

Mind you, it wasn't much different with Canadian soldiers, either.

The thing was, the fathers of these girls were, at one time, young single soldiers themselves so they totally understood what was going on, at least from the young single soldiers perspective.

What was of course ironic, and nobody seemed to want to explore, was the very mothers who came on as rampaging she-bears upon finding out their daughters were dating soldiers, had married soldiers themselves! Interesting what a generation's gap will do.

We had a few of "our girls" date soldiers but mainly they seemed to gravitate towards German guys, much to the chagrin of most of the Canadian teenage boys looking for girlfriends LOL

Oddly enough, while it was not uncommon for Canadian teenage girls to acquire a German boyfriend, few Canadian teenage boys acquired a German girlfriend. Not sure what that was about.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime20/9/2009, 22:36

This first number is a hauntingly great number I remember from Germany. It's something I would think that would past muster at any funeral for a veteran or serving member.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAWfyexuyrQ&feature=fvw

This next one I remember coming out in the 60's. It was always a favourite to be played in the Gasthof. The thing is I remember it being sung by a tenor not a bass as is done here. The pirated Dutch version is done by a tenor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBfZIZzypo&feature=relate

Now this one was always great fun to listen to. As we would all make great rounding motions over our stomachs indicating a pregnacy. Yes Memories of Heidelburg are Memories of you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgkp8NcBnrg
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 08:40

Of course one may have enjoyed Amanda Lear who had a big following in Germany in the seventies and still pulls a crowd today.

"Was He or wasn't She, that is the question?"

Umm! Pity I am too late to ask Salvador Dali.

Admitantly, I did like the voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyV_QqWuNNY&feature=related

I was always puzzled by the Germans and their music preferences. Here is another, 'Heino.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Yk1xpoJvg
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 14:54

Heino, geeze I'd forgotten all about him. Didn't he wear those dark glasses all the time to hide big buggy eyes?
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 16:34

hardrations you are my hero,you have just posted one of what is up there in my top ten favourite tunes,[i remember edie calvert got to no 1 on top of the pops with that tune].another tune out about the same time was, the legions lost patrol,dave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 18:03

Boney M

German based and managed and very popular in the 70s."Rivers of Babylon" at their Halle Munsterland concert-magic, as we used to saythe sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 19:40

now i wonder how many will actually admit to tapping their feet in time to the music,dave.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 19:52

dandc wrote:
hardrations you are my hero,you have just posted one of what is up there in my top ten favourite tunes,[i remember edie calvert got to no 1 on top of the pops with that tune].another tune out about the same time was, the legions lost patrol,dave.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_9TYQDTvJQ

PS: Hero... Find that hard to believe, but if you insist you can buy me breakfast at the Union Jack on the 3 of Oct. if you want. lol!

PS: Just kidding.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 20:35

thats the one,cant be in london but if you ever make it to the sage in gateshead your more than welcome to a coffee break,dave.
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime21/9/2009, 20:43

how about this one...used to be on every jukebox...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-M0yKiLT2c
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime22/9/2009, 01:59

Good grief, Amanda Lear! As far as I can recall, she only issued one LP...a big disco favourite...and the story was she was an M-to-F transsexual. Whether it was just marketing (this was the era of genderbending rock stars and glam rock after all), I don't know. That odd voice certainly would suggest she was....

the big groups back when I was a teenager in Germany were (in no particular order):

The Three Degrees ("Wwhen Will I See You Again?")

Barry White (okay, not technically "a group")

Anything coming out of The Glorious Sound of Philadelphia -- sort of a take-off on Motown, or a challenge to Motown actually, all R&B/Soul. Motown ultimately won out....

Talking about Heino (odd character) made me think of James Last and the dance albums he cranked out. Sort of an upbeat German version of Lawrence Welk and very popular stuff at Schutzenfests and Oktoberfests. Nice change from yer basic oompa-pa-pa.

On the heavier front --

+ Black Sabbath ("Paranoid" was big)
+ Jethro Tull ("Aqualung")
+ Iron Butterfly (their only good piece was "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" -- 27 minutes of it!!)
+ Yes
+ Genesis
+ The Who (of course! "Pinball Wizard" was really big)
+ Jimi Hendrix ("Are You Experienced?", "All Along The Watchtower", "Purple Haze" etc).
+ Mott The Hoople
+ Creedence Clearwater Revival (Okay, so they weren't "heavy" but damn good....I still love "Proud Mary")
+ Cream (before Eric Clapton became a whiney old bugger)
+ Emerson, Lake and Palmer (brilliant!!!)
+ King Crimson (not as well known but equally as brilliant, perhaps even more so. Some overlap with EL&P. Their "In The Court of the Crimson King" was spectacular).
+ T-Rex ("Electric Warrior" was probably the best LP. The rest were a tad too commercial).
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime31/1/2010, 22:28

Can't believe you never mentioned ABBA Stephen. Never off the radio. All the pads parties played them all the time.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime31/1/2010, 23:47

Teabag wrote:
Can't believe you never mentioned ABBA Stephen. Never off the radio. All the pads parties played them all the time.

He was a "singly" albeit a dependent Very Happy

No singly worth his salt would have admitted listening to Abba Wink

Plus the fact I know of some of the places he has mentioned in the past, and the mention of Abba would probably have had you opening a window or door without touching the ground lol!

Paul.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 09:12

Er...Got any "Quo" ?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime1/2/2010, 21:19

Paul wrote:
Teabag wrote:

He was a "singly" albeit a dependent Very Happy

No singly worth his salt would have admitted listening to Abba Wink

Plus the fact I know of some of the places he has mentioned in the past, and the mention of Abba would probably have had you opening a window or door without touching the ground lol!

Paul.

Ehehehehe...too true!!

Actually, and I've mentioned this in other threads, I have a story (oh gaaaawd...not another!!) about Abba.

Circa 1970 or so we lived in the town of Beckum, out along the Hoennetal, just before the SansSouci turn off towards Balve. down the hill aways from our house was a young Canadian corporal married to a Danish girl. Nice couple with the cutest little boy, Ron, who was maybe 10 months old at the time.

Anyway, one time when Mom was in hospital for something or other, Dad and I got invited over to Graham and Mia's place to meet some friends of hers. They were Swedish, but she had met them at university or something and they were in a band together...

They got me very drunk on a half-litre of Beer, Cherry Brandy and Vermouth (after I had had about 3 beers already, as I recall. I was 17) and dad had to literally drag me up the hill and back home and put me to bed. I was 'green' for two days after!

The friends had released one local album and it was about to be 'picked up' by Radio Luxembourg. The two guys were also romantically involved with the two women in the group and the group became known as ABBA.

Now, as for my list and the absence of ABBA...keep in mind, this was 1970, I was 17 or 18 years old and the tastes in music were very strict... if you admitted to liking certain groups over others and the groups you liked were not, shall we say, on the 'accepted' list of what teenagers listened to at the time, it was social death. I mean, I was mortified when I started going to the British youth club in Hemer and -- gasp! -- the big group was a bunch who wore outrageous Plaid and sang about Saturday Night!!! Any record of theirs getting played at our youth club in Soest likely would have caused a riot! And not in a good way!!!

Slade was fine -- I liked them actually.

Then everything went to hell and the generation after mine started listening to crap like Backstreet Boys. Eeeeewww....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime2/2/2010, 02:59

When I was posted over to Muenster in 1968 I was surprised to hear that 95" of the songs on the juke boxes were in english,and some of the locals were still into Rock&Roll dancing. Middle of the Road ,was popular and Heinz,the man in dark glasses . But one thing I remember well is when the TV news came on.
"Guten Abend meine Damen und Herren dies sei das deutsche fernsehen mit die tage schau"
Back to top Go down
Bugsy
Sgt
Sgt
Bugsy

Number of posts : 25
Cap Badge : RAMC
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime4/2/2010, 23:05

Marianne Rosenberg was always the fave of the gays in Germany, for some obscure reason. I used to live not very far from her in Berlin and she was a right stuck-up git. I also watched her in "Das Schaukelpferd" disco in Templehof around 1978, and she really has got a crappy voice without all the help she gets from electronics.

Now on the other hand, there was Katja Ebstein, who sang for the Boxheeds in the Eurovision Contest. She really could sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkxuvHIfAM

Another one of my faves was Wencke Mhyre, who was Norwegian originally, but she could also belt them out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFKkKJKFX4U

But if you want to hear a Boxheed biddy from the Seventies with a BIG voice, just listen to this from Joy Fleming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48fjsASZtXk

Enjoy!

MsG
Back to top Go down
Buzz
LCpl
LCpl
Buzz

Number of posts : 9
Cap Badge : 1st Queens Dragoon Guards
Places Served : Bovington, North Africa, Perham Down, Castle Martin S. Wales, Wolfenbuttel W. Germany,Middle Wallop Wiltshire, Omagh N. Ireland.
Registration date : 2010-09-25

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 17:23

graham wright wrote:
who never fell in love with this beautiful young lady in the 70s,the best german female singer i ever heard...graham...

I prefered Nena the one hit wonder but that's probably because my girl friend at the time could have been her twin sister.
Back to top Go down
recymech
WOII
WOII
recymech

Number of posts : 81
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Bordon, Nuneaton, NI, Paderborn, Poland, Czech Republic, Sennelager, Osnabruck, Canada, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, Cyprus, Bad Fallingbostel.
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: the sounds of germany..the 70s   the sounds of germany..the 70s Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 21:01

Buzz wrote:
graham wright wrote:

I prefered Nena the one hit wonder but that's probably because my girl friend at the time could have been her twin sister.

Ahhh Nena,