BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime19/3/2024, 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 65 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 65 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?

Go down 
+3
Mike_2817
brum
Teabag
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Empty
PostSubject: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime24/9/2010, 21:25

Those of you who know me (kind of) will see that I can be a bit pedantic at times. Some would say a pain in the arse probably but some things tend to annoy me even if they are usually very minor in the grand scheme of things.

However, anyone who has ever served in HM Forces what ever the colour of the uniform should know that it is NAAFI and not NAFFI. i.e. Navy Army and AIR FORCE Institute. Last night bored, I trawled through some old memories of peoples times in the forces (not on here) and the dreaded NAFFI kept appearing. Bit of an insult to the blue jobs I think especially as we are currently celebrating the Battle of Britain..

I'll go away now! wibble wibble tongue
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime24/9/2010, 23:02

Pedantic ? NOOO !

Pain in the arse ? NOOOO !

Stirrer and Agitator YEEEES !

Navy Army and Royal Air Force Institutes would be "NARAFI".

Sounds like some kind of Woggy terrorist.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 00:45

brum wrote:

Pedantic ? NOOO !

Sorry Brum but that Cheshire beer is stronger than you think. Can't see Royal? I know I am a pseudo scouser but surely not that thick? If you say different will be prepared to fight you though. Go on, have a go if you think you are hard enough................. Mummy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 07:56

Tsk tsk gentlemen.......Remember where you are, and that there are ORs looking in.Now pray tell when this fight will take place,as i wish to open a book on it.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 13:58

Teabag wrote:
brum wrote:

Pedantic ? NOOO !

Sorry Brum but that Cheshire beer is stronger than you think. Can't see Royal? I know I am a pseudo scouser but surely not that thick? If you say different will be prepared to fight you though. Go on, have a go if you think you are hard enough................. Mummy

Oh dear, such AGGRESSION !
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 14:06

brum wrote:
Teabag wrote:
brum wrote:

Pedantic ? NOOO !

Oh dear, such AGGRESSION !

True but I had drank a bottle of beer when I typed it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime25/9/2010, 14:20

Gordon. wrote:
Tsk tsk gentlemen.......Remember where you are, and that there are ORs looking in.Now pray tell when this fight will take place,as i wish to open a book on it.

Don't encourage him Gordon.

Stick to your "Uisge Beatha" !
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 15:47

So what does SPAR stand for as they replaced a lot of the NAAFI Shops Laughing in the UK at least

Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 19:51

Mike_2817 wrote:
So what does SPAR stand for as they replaced a lot of the NAAFI Shops Laughing in the UK at least

Sojers, paras, airmen and rogerers?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 20:36

Mike_2817 wrote:

I don't know about SPAR but until Teabag cast the seed of doubt I allways understood NAAFI to stand for No Ambition And F***all Interest.

It's terrible to see all our beliefs being eroded away in this fashion.

Damn you Teabag !
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 21:20

brum wrote:
Mike_2817 wrote:

I don't know about SPAR but until Teabag cast the seed of doubt I allways understood NAAFI to stand for No Ambition And F***all Interest.

It's terrible to see all our beliefs being eroded away in this fashion.

Damn you Teabag !

Colonel Teabag to you Colonel. (I'm senior) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 22:41

Mike_2817 wrote:

Always wondered that myself..........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spar_(retailer)

Door Eendrachtig Samenwerken Profiteren Allen Regelmatig

through united co-operation everyone regularly profits.

In our local Spar the prices are way higher than most other local shops , god ony knows what the prices in camp must be like.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime26/9/2010, 22:50

Simple soul that I am I allways thought the name was simply the German word for Save !
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime27/9/2010, 16:08

brum wrote:
Simple soul that I am I allways thought the name was simply the German word for Save !

And so did I Brum.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime27/9/2010, 19:01

jim wrote:
brum wrote:

And so did I Brum.

It it.... remember "Sparkasse" for some bank or other? "Kasse" roughly translates, I believe, to "place" or "location"...that sort of thing. So of course a bank/Sparkasse is a Savings Place or Savings Location or Savings Establishment....of course I am doing a sort of general translation of 'kasse' not having my trusty English-German dictionary at hand to look up what the *real* translation is..... Smile
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime28/9/2010, 16:23

Teabag wrote:
Those of you who know me (kind of) will see that I can be a bit pedantic at times. Some would say a pain in the arse probably but some things tend to annoy me even if they are usually very minor in the grand scheme of things.

However, anyone who has ever served in HM Forces what ever the colour of the uniform should know that it is NAAFI and not NAFFI. i.e. Navy Army and AIR FORCE Institute. Last night bored, I trawled through some old memories of peoples times in the forces (not on here) and the dreaded NAFFI kept appearing. Bit of an insult to the blue jobs I think especially as we are currently celebrating the Battle of Britain..

I'll go away now! wibble wibble tongue

Good, so I'm not the only one that gets niggled at NAFFI or even worse Naffy. Its easy enough to remember methinks:

Never Ave Any Fags In

or

No Ambition And F***all Interest
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime29/9/2010, 13:49

although Naffy sounds rather good to me. Smile

I wasn't aware that SPAR had replaced a lot of NAAFI shops though, presumably only the shops and not the canteens.

Having said that, sadly, I am reminded at Kineton every year how much the culture has changed in the Army these days.

The Barracks is deserted at the weekend, and the only people you see in uniform are the Army Guard Force Service, or whatever they call themselves.

No real NAAFI Culture, No real mess life. So Sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?   Is the RAF a figment of the imagination? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the RAF a figment of the imagination?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: