BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitimeToday at 12:04 by Sheilhenry

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 3 Bots

Sheilhenry

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

AMTC Silberhutte

Go down 
+10
PetraCreser
pete26
Ian Gilks
BigJock
Shelldrake
stevejoyce
Wilf
ZEIGER51
jim
Tom Dickson
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Dickson
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : Kings Own Scottish Borderers
Places Served : Edinburgh NI and Berlin 1970- 1975
Registration date : 2011-01-06

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime6/1/2011, 11:58

Located in the Hartz mountains near Sankt Andreasberg was an old ammunition factory and housed the Army mountain training centre and I was naafi manager until it closed in 1990.It had accomadation for about 200 people and was used all year round for adventure training I may have some photos of the place but as i just found this site today i will have to check later.

AlienFTM, MJT and Allana4847 like this post

Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 15:52

Hi Tom, welcome and those photo's would be much appreciated mate.

Allana4847 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ZEIGER51
Private
Private

Cap Badge : RN
Places Served : WORLD WIDE / SILBERHUTTE
Registration date : 2011-03-08

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: AMTC SILBERHUTTE   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime8/3/2011, 21:07

Tom Dickson wrote:
Located in the Hartz mountains near Sankt Andreasberg was an old ammunition factory and housed the Army mountain training centre and I was naafi manager until it closed in 1990.It had accomadation for about 200 people and was used all year round for adventure training I may have some photos of the place but as i just found this site today i will have to check later.
I was stationed at silberhutte in 1973/4 I think
was an RN on deployment as a ski instructor
any body around there at that time?

Allana4847 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime11/2/2012, 13:21

During the summer of 1986 the company (53 Company 5 Ord Bn Barker Bks Paderborn) had a fortnight at Silberhutte. Did the usual stuff, PT, hill walking & climbing. It was the only time I ever visited Silberhutte and to be honest I preferred summer camps in Bavaria or the Mosel.
Back to top Go down
stevejoyce
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : Royal Corps of Signals
Places Served : Harrogate, Verden, Bunde, York, Falkland Is. Catterick Garrison
Registration date : 2012-04-15

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 20:05

In 1976 (ish), a squad from 3 squadron 1 Armd Div HQ & Sig Regt spent a week in the old ammunition factory with the aim of blocking up sealing up the windows of one of the blocks, and tidying up in preparation for what was to become the AMST (JSMT) Siberhutte or at least a small part of it. It was then just a shell with a door. We took along the regimental ski collection (barely 2 the same), and had a go at skiing. I think we got the basic elements right, snow, hill - down, just needed to work out how to stop at the bottom.

Never got to go back on a snow queen course though. One of the drawbacks of being a data teleg, always got some proper work to do.
Back to top Go down

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 23:28

Welcome Steve...I take you are a Scaley..If so double welcome. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime16/4/2012, 07:33

Ski-ing, Adventure Training, Hill Walking, Summer Camps!! I don't bloody believe it!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime16/4/2012, 08:31

Good fun if you could get it, I did manage 1 snow queen, but then like Steve, I had a real day job Smile
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime17/4/2012, 20:27

Me (271) on winter warfare at Silberhütte...1963/64?

AMTC Silberhutte Silber10
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime18/4/2012, 09:07

Nice photo there Jock Smile
Back to top Go down

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime18/4/2012, 10:00

Is this the start of a race of some sort??
Back to top Go down
Ian Gilks
Private
Private

Cap Badge : 17th/21st Lancers 1979-88
Places Served : JLR RAC _ Lulworth - Munster
Registration date : 2012-08-28

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime28/8/2012, 02:14

I worked there as an instructor, winter 1985/6. Left for instructors course Oct 1985, returned to unit mid April '86. Best 6 months of my time in the army :-)
Back to top Go down
pete26
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime30/8/2012, 01:51

We used to ski most weekends in the Harz but I can't for the life of me remember where.

I do remember the drives coming back in the old Bedfords to Hohne in Winter !
Back to top Go down
PetraCreser
Private
Private
PetraCreser

Number of posts : 4
Places Served : Dad served: Borneo, Aden Minden, Hannover, Edinburgh, Hamlyn, NI, Sennelager, Hohne Bergen, Aldershot, AMTC Harz.
Registration date : 2014-11-14

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime14/11/2014, 13:26

Hello, my dad S/sgt Glyn Creser was stationed at the AMTC in 1980-82 as Chief Clerk with a Major Hooton if I recall correctly. They were rather lonesome days for us kids as there were no other army kids around. I would go langlaufen rather than downhill skiing, and one early morning as I set off, I heard loud drunken singing and much laughter and rounding the corner where we lived just opposite the AMTC, copped a bunch of naked squaddies with nowt on but their skis. Thankfully they didn't see me, but it was one of the funniest things I ever saw there.
We attended Windsor Girls' school as there weren't any army schools there and we didn't want to go to a German school.
AMTC Silberhutte 42036411
Back to top Go down
PetraCreser
Private
Private
PetraCreser

Number of posts : 4
Places Served : Dad served: Borneo, Aden Minden, Hannover, Edinburgh, Hamlyn, NI, Sennelager, Hohne Bergen, Aldershot, AMTC Harz.
Registration date : 2014-11-14

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime14/11/2014, 13:29

AMTC Silberhutte 42036412

The AMTC around 1981
Back to top Go down
Dave-the-rave
Private
Private

Registration date : 2017-08-09

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime9/8/2017, 00:41

This is proper 'down memory lane' for me. I went there for 2 weeks cross country skiing when I was in juniors in 1981 or 82. What a beasting. They called it Langlauf. I called it running up hills with boards on yer feet. I remember sneaking out at night to go into town wearing tee shirt and Levi jacket in mid winter. The beer bar in camp was called 'The lonely hearts club'.

I remember the local disco in town. It was called 'Die Hexe'. I fell in love with Germany because of that experience and ended up spending ten years there all told. Great memories.

Back to top Go down
Richardjlow
Private
Private

Registration date : 2018-02-12

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime12/2/2018, 20:46

I vaguely remember doing a ski instructors course there in the '70s, sadly I don't recall very much else - apart from the fact that all the kit that they had was atrocious!
Back to top Go down
AlienFTM
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 61
Cap Badge : 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars
Places Served : NI, Tidworth, UNFICYP, BAOR, Worthy Down
Registration date : 2007-12-07

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime27/7/2022, 13:06

Summer 1981 I found myself on a potholing course at Silberhütte. I can still smell the wild garlic, common in limestone areas as taught in O-level Geography and confirmed by the instructor on Day 1 before a lesson in abseiling on the surface. There's wild garlic on one of my walks.

Every day down a different hole. One route was very tight. Third through, trying to catch up. Bang head. Realise I didn't hit the roof. Instructor had tapped safety hat with torch. He and first student were sat in the dark on a shelf above the pipe exit. I joined them. Behind me was a sapper who'd decided I was his best friend. He didn't get tapped, but carried on, getting increasingly frantic, thinking he was lost, calling after me. We bit fists so as not to laugh as one after another, the rest of the course tried to catch up, the sapper's calls echoing like something out of Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Last day, the deepest hole. Near the bottom, "You can follow the other instructor back to the surface by the easy route, or you can come down the hard route with me and sign the log book (in a Tupperware pot) at the bottom of the hardest bit. I volunteered. Nobody else did. Except, eventually, the sapper.

End of every pot, we'd wash our kit in the bitterly cold river, singing along to the then-current Adam Ant hit, Stand In The River. Every night, all the coveralls hung in a hot drying room.

Month or two later I got married (coincidentally in "Adam Ant kit", the Peacetime Uniform of 15/19H) and swans away adventure training largely became a thing of the past.

Love to know if the book was recovered and preserved.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arrse.co.uk
Allana4847
Private
Private

Registration date : 2023-07-11

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime13/7/2023, 19:54

Hi I was there around 1967-70 I was a ski instructor at BFPO 27 Silverhutte as a civilian ski instructor, there were 3 of us myself Allan Askings, Denny Fraser (Aviemore) and Sandy Joseph (Australia) great time there we were made honorary members of the Sargent’s mess.

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AMTC Silberhutte Empty
PostSubject: Re: AMTC Silberhutte   AMTC Silberhutte Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AMTC Silberhutte
Page 1 of 1