BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitimeToday at 12:04 by Sheilhenry

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 54 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 54 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle

Go down 
+8
numnuts001
JPW
Redman
kenkbs
Ian
tommy16
steve
mattjonas
12 posters
AuthorMessage
mattjonas
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : 2RRF
Places Served : Germany
Registration date : 2012-02-19

Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Empty
PostSubject: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime19/2/2012, 14:29

Hello all,

I've recently been asked to create a commemorative booklet marking the end of the British Armys' presence in Celle, and as such was keen to source several recollections from various armed forces members that have served in Celle from 1945 onwards. If you have, or know anyone who has been based in Trenchard Barracks, I would be much obliged if you could post a brief note on your time there and what unit you were based with, brownie points for any photos included!

Many thanks,

Matt
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime19/2/2012, 16:58

Hi Matt
Have updated the Celle Various page for the early days of BAOR

http://baor-locations.co.uk/Cellevarious.aspx

Hoping to get more unit detail for this period please pass on whatever you find on your mission

Best of luck
Steve
study
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
tommy16
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 28
Cap Badge : 2 Royal Anglian
Places Served : celle, Germany, Bosnia, Denmark, Canada, USA, N Ireland, Cyprus, Jordan, Uk
Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime24/3/2012, 21:02

Hi Matt,

I was at Trenchard Celle from 94-96. Best days i had in the army(although we deployed from celle to Bosnia). When do you want stories/tales?

Stevecool likes this post

Back to top Go down
tommy16
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 28
Cap Badge : 2 Royal Anglian
Places Served : celle, Germany, Bosnia, Denmark, Canada, USA, N Ireland, Cyprus, Jordan, Uk
Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime24/3/2012, 21:14

Matt, where else have you advertised? Facebook our battalion 2 Royal Anglian on there
Back to top Go down
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime30/3/2012, 12:30

I was never stationed in Celle, but I do remember in the early 60,s the watchman at the NAAFI being found murdered, it was over Christmas one year, I believe they eventually charged 3 soldiers with the crime, one was a wo2 if my memory is correct, anybody know any more? Ian.
Back to top Go down
kenkbs
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : l/cpl royal signals
Places Served : uk,verden, soltau, celle,libya,uk 1962 1971
Registration date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime1/5/2015, 15:27

I was stationed at Trenchard Barracks in the early 60s attached to 1st bn royal Irish Fusiliers then the 1st Battalion the Royal Anglian Regt till we was withdrawn to Catterick as part of the cut backs
My unit was 510 Signal Troop attached to both of the above regiments
Back to top Go down
Redman
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime1/4/2016, 19:50

Hello all, I'm new here, my dad was in 94 regiment we were in Celle for 8 or 9 years, we left in 84 coming over to Scotland... As a kid I loved it , as an adult I have many , many fond memories, . Maryann
Back to top Go down
Redman
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime1/4/2016, 19:53

Jock Redman..... Lol imagine forgetting to put that in their?!?
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime2/4/2016, 11:53

Maryann

Welcome, look forward to your future postings about your memories of life in Celle

Think you may have the wrong barracks, 94 were longstanding occupants of Taunton not Trenchard Barracks.

If you have not already found it, go to the Master Home Page on this site, then click on Locations, then Celle and you should then have a choice of the individual Barracks in Celle, some with photos
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime2/4/2016, 15:26

Through research from original documentation by JPW and myself can confirm the following post 8 May 45

23 May 45 – HQ 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division command 30th Corps moved into Trenchard Barracks and disbanded by 31 July 46 replaced by 5th Infantry Division in Braunschweig

21 May 45 - HQ 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division moved into Silk Factory Offices Lüneburger Heerstrasse Celle until disbandment

The RAF moved in and was handed back to the Army mid Jan 48

15 Feb 48 – HQ Hannover District formed from 7th Armoured Division on 14 Jan 48 and moved from Bad Rothenfelde north-west of Bielefeld to Trenchard Barracks

early Mar 49 7th Armoured Division reforms at Trenchard Barracks moving to Verden-Aller late 50

Unable to update the Celle page at this time as http://baor-locations.org is under a major refit thanks to Mike Royal Signals

Last edited by steve on 17/11/2017, 09:02; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changing history)

Stevecool likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
numnuts001
Private
Private

Registration date : 2017-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime16/11/2017, 19:19

maryann, drop me a message, like to contact your dad,
Back to top Go down
Barry@RSA
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-05-30

PostSubject: David Alan Rees - R.E.M.E - 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime30/5/2018, 18:39

Mr Father, David (Dai) Alan Rees did his National Service in the R.E.M.E., attached to the 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade (the Desert Rats) and was stationed in Celle in 1951.

This is one of a number of photos I have of him, in the Rees Scott Archive, Dai is on the left and Jock Williams on the right.

Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Rsa-ph10

Barry Rees
Back to top Go down
http://www.reesscottarchive.org.uk
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime1/6/2018, 08:51

Barry

Welcome

Am intrigued by the sign OC LAD REME on the photo

Think this was before the introduction of Armoured Personnel Carriers into the British Army and whilst 1RB maintained the Green Jacket tradition of providing the Lorried Infantry capability to Armoured Divisions not sure whether that would have warranted an Officer OC LAD. Have you anything more detail?
Back to top Go down
Barry@RSA
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime2/6/2018, 18:09

Hi JPW

Not a lot more detail I'm afraid. I have a couple more photos that show the type of vehicles that he dealt with, and I remember him enthusing about the Scammell recovery truck he often used when out on manoeuvres.

The first photo shows Dai Rees, Dennis 'the Menace', and Jock Williams, (photo is annotated 'working hard?'), in one of their vehicles. The second is a row of half-tracks.

Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Rsa-ph11
Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Rsa-ph12
Back to top Go down
http://www.reesscottarchive.org.uk
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime5/6/2018, 08:22

Thank you very much, the shot of the half tracks will bring back very happy memories for the veteran members of this site (me included)
Back to top Go down
csqnblackhat
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Hohne, 11th Hussars, Munsterlager, 4 Fd Regt R.A. Warminster, School of Infantry Demo Squadron, 2RTR and 13/18 Hussars.
Registration date : 2011-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime5/6/2018, 16:41

Yes indeed, the ultimate REME mobile home, also useful, occasionally for lifting and replacing Cent major assemblies.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime6/6/2018, 05:42

He is not joking!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Arthur Joy
Private
Private

Registration date : 2024-01-27

PostSubject: Trenchard Barracks    Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime27/1/2024, 15:10

I was posted to Trenchard brk in 1977 whilst serving with 1 PWO.
I remember going in to the cellar under the med center / HQ building, which was the signals store, consisted of White tiles in cells with concrete beds still in place, at the end of the corridor was a small room which had a small hatch / tunnel (3' x 3') with train lines, on the wall was a board which showed a time table to Belsen, near the entrance to the cellar, on the right was a lift shaft that had been sealed with a concrete block to prevent going down.
SS simbles were still evident throughout the camp, including in the cast steel fence round the camp and the swastika and eagle in the bannister of the landing in HQ building.
We used to find WW2 weapons, ammunition and other items in the drains in the garages and others round the camp.
In the loft of HQ old furniture was found with the swastika burnt into it.
Fitted furniture in many of the buildings, including officers mess, Sgts mess and the cellars under the accommodation blocks.

alan8376 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle   Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memories of Trenchard Barracks, Celle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: Locations within BAOR and NW Europe :: Celle-
Jump to: