BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 81 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 80 Guests :: 1 Bot

Pborn4

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg

Go down 
+2
DenisHay
jim
6 posters
AuthorMessage
William

Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Empty
PostSubject: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime17/3/2008, 21:40

For the years October 1952 to July 1954 I was a member of the Band of the 9th Queen's Royal Lancers based in Lothian Barracks Detmold.
I remember in either early 1953 or in 1954 we stayed in the holiday facilities in Bad Harzburg to play concerts for army personel who were enjoying local leave there. I also remember going there with members of the band who were mainly regulars on local leave. This was strange because only regulars were entitled to local leave whereas I was National Service.This was the only perk I got throughout my service in the army.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime18/3/2008, 09:11

Did you go to the "Nord Stern" gastatte William, that was a favourite hang out for the LG in the early '70's
Back to top Go down
DenisHay
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 7
Cap Badge : 9th Queen's Royal Lancers
Places Served : Germany (BAOR15)
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime4/4/2008, 23:02

Hello Jim-sorry about the delay in replying to your question-we may have visited the building you refer to because in total we (the band) had two spells of 7 days each in Bad Hartzburg-I remember there were a lot of Canadians in one place but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place you refer to. I do know the Canadians had a lot more money than we had but they were decent friendly lads.

William
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninthroyallancers.org
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime5/4/2008, 15:13

I was first stationed in BAOR at Wolfenbüttel in 1947 with the Royals.Bad Harzburg was a favourite of ours,plenty of snow and winter sports in those days.We also used to get a few days "extra" leave for driving long distances accident free,and if I remember right you could have a holiday there for the princely sum of 6p a day.We had two hotels for the military,very well run and the food,in comparison to the then Army fodder,was first class.I was in the area last year,in winter,no snow,its all changed so much,tried to find those old holiday lodgings but without success.I also visited Goslar,Hahnenklee,Braunlage and the Brocken.We spent 5 days last New Year at Braunlage,had a great New Year,and wonder of wonders,we had plenty of snow!I currently live in Detmold.
----
Don
Back to top Go down
DenisHay
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime5/4/2008, 22:46

Hello Don
As a former member of the 9th Lancers Band stationed in Detmold 1952/54 I have for the past three years taken a small party back to the former Garrison town and this year is no different-we will arrive in Paderborn by Air Berlin from Manchester late on Wednesday the 1st of October and fly back late afternoon, early evening on Sunday the 5th of October.We are staying at the Best Western Hotel in Detmold and guess what? We are bringing a former member of the Blues and Royals with us, Paul Shaw who was based at Lothian Barracks.
Don, it would be a real pleasure if you could join us for a drink sometime throughout our stay but even better why not join us for dinner in the evening at a local restaurant which we frequent during our stay.

Regards

William
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime6/4/2008, 15:50

Denis,
Would love to get together with you in Oct,we shall be here then.Don't know if I know Paul,tell him I was a Royal,and at amalgamation I was SCM of Command Sqn from 69 till I left in 71.I then got a job with Barrack Services and have lived in Detmold since.Great to have contact with you.

Best wishes

Don
Back to top Go down
DenisHay
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime6/4/2008, 16:29

Don, very much looking forward to meeting you in October-we are staying at the Residenz Best Western Hotel in Detmold and at the moment we are 8 in total-myself Wm Denis Haydock, Ken & Joyce Morgan, Peter Hamer, Norman Frank, Mrs Helga Heap, all 9th Lancer brethren plus Paul and Jan Shaw (Blues and Royals) and not forgetting our very dear German friend and guide Bert Pautz who is the curator of his own Military Museum in Bielefeld.
Peter Hamer did his two year National service in the stables with the 9th Lancers at Lothian Barracks.He was then demobbed but after two years in civvy street he joined the 3rd Caribineers and was immediately returned to Lothian Barracks Detmold to complete 6 years service driving a tank. I run a website myself Don, why not visit www.ninthroyallancers.org and enjoy some more pictures from the past.

Regards

william
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime7/4/2008, 15:33

Denis,
Great,look forward to meeting you in October.You all must have happy memories of Detmold.Have visited your website and will spend more time there later.Will keep in touch.

Best Wishes

Don.
Back to top Go down
Dennis Herford 1950
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime11/7/2017, 15:04

I am new to this site and this is the first time I've used it, so I'm keen to see if I get any response.
I was stationed at Herford with HQ BAOR Signals Regiment between Nov.1950 and March, 1952.
Christmas 1952 was spent at Bad Hartzburg.
If I get any reply , I will look out the Christmas menu and put on here.
Best wishes to all,
Dennis.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime19/7/2017, 08:54

Dennis

Thanks for the offer

Can you remember exactly where in Bad Harzburg you stayed?
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 653
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime22/7/2017, 01:21

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg   Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Entertaining the troops in Bad Harzburg
Page 1 of 1