BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Amendments to BAOR locations website

Go down 
+9
Brewins Girl
Hardrations
ed pz
Stephen Lock
JPW
"john boy"
BobG
Shelldrake
steve
13 posters
AuthorMessage
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Amendments to BAOR locations website Empty
PostSubject: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime10/8/2012, 13:02

The "new" BAOR locations website is under reconstruction by Mike Royal Signals and it will be some time before editor access will be available so please understand updates and correction of errors will be delayed we must all be very grateful to Mike for putting this "new" website together and saving the content that would have otherwise could have been lost forever...
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime10/8/2012, 13:08

I'll second that!
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime10/8/2012, 16:46

Hear, hear.
BobG
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime10/8/2012, 16:54

Laughing Scaley`s to the rescue ............................... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Amendments to BAOR locations website 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime10/8/2012, 21:10

Good show that man lol!
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime14/8/2012, 07:15

Steve (another former Scaley) is too modest to mention is his own tremendous efforts in saving this site.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime14/8/2012, 18:30

Bravo to Mike!!!

There is truly a wealth of information here and to have it lost in cyberspace would be tragic. One of the downsides of digital information....it's only as accessible as the technology designed to access it and not as 'stable' as actual physical records....
Back to top Go down
ed pz
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime6/7/2015, 06:52

steve wrote:
The "new" BAOR locations website is under reconstruction by Mike Royal Signals and it will be some time before editor access will be available so please understand updates and correction of errors will be delayed we must all be very grateful to Mike for putting this "new" website together and saving the content that would have otherwise could have been lost forever...

Re Scarborough Brks in Osnabruck, on the location webb site you have 15 Sqn RCT time there totally wrong, please amend , the Sqn was in the camp from 1965 (when the RCT was formed ) to 1983
Back to top Go down
ed pz
Private
Private

Registration date : 2015-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime6/7/2015, 07:37

Sorry if I am repeating myself but I am just fathoming out how this site works.

SO again, re Scarborough Brks (Kaprevi Kassern) Osnatraz please amend this site to show that 15 Sqn RCT was there from 1965 to 1983.
Also "Dirty Den" was never there,  the Camp was used in the back drops to the Colditz film not the later 1970s TV drama.
It is also said that Erich Maria Remarque (All Quiet on the Western Front) spent time in the then WW1 Cavalry Brks.

further to this 122 tipper Coy RASC were in residence at the Camp prior to the formation of the RCT in 1966 so Scarborough Brks has had a long Association with Tpt Sqn of the RASC and RCT.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime6/7/2015, 18:32

As per the first message Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 am the website is locked however your notes are most welcome

There is a small team working on BAOR history and can confirm that Caprivi Kaserne was first occupied by 20th Anti-Tank Regiment RA of 3rd Infantry Division post VE day 8 May 45...the rest is history!

The team hope to be able to update very soon...history is a mystery and only as good as those who wrote it down!
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime6/7/2015, 21:59

T'iss good to hear. This is to good a site to lose it.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime8/7/2015, 09:06

ed pz

Welcome

Every littl helps in adding to the data base which will enable the team mentioned produce an accurate picture of the fast disappearing British Army in Germany over the past seventy years
Back to top Go down
Brewins Girl
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime26/11/2018, 15:38

The BAOR locations website asks "did you serve here", with one location being the Leave Centre at Bad Harzburg. I can confirm that my uncle, Ronald (Ron) Malcolm Brooking, 7662282 who was with REME was there for a few days shortly before being demobbed in March 1946. At that time he was stationed at Varrel with 674 Inf Tps Rec Unit REME
Back to top Go down
Maurice Kanareck
Private
Private

Registration date : 2019-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime4/4/2019, 17:29

During my National Service I served as a Clerk Tech with HQ CRAOC, 1 Corps, from 1952 to 1954, and we seem to be missing from your website! Our small unit (Lieut-Col, Major and, I think, Captain, Sergeant and Corporal together with some four or five other ranks and four or five German civilians) was stationed above a draper's shop in Bad Salzuflen. Like all HQ CRAOC's, we were a clearing centre for units all over BAOR. Remember, the then RAOC provided the Army with all their requirements, apart from food, petrol and oil, which was the prerogative of the RASC, Units would indent for their requirements and we would forward them to the appropriate depots. Our working day was from around eight o'clock in the morning till four or five in the afternoon, when we would change into civvies and head for town. However, there was always a duty driver and we could book him for a trip to the, then, HQ at Bad Oeynhausen to attend either an education course or a visit to the garrison theatre. Our unit transport was the Colonel's Opel Kapitan, a Volkswagen and we also had a Willys Jeep on charge - possibly one of the last in the British Army! Oh, and our Captain had his own personal, rather racy, white Horch. Later on we moved from Bad Salzuflen to a location, next to the Military Corrective Establishment at Bielefeld, where our quarters were a classic Nissen hut. I remember, as a Londoner, writing to London Transport and, because Nissen huts had the curved characteristic of an Underground tunnel, asking if they could send us some posters. A couple of weeks later they arrived, and so we decorated the interior of our billet with advertising posters and the classic London Transport roundel signs for Piccadilly Circus when, at the next GOC's inspection, we were congratulated on our morale-lifting exercise! Perhaps more memories to follow!

Maurice Kanareck: ex-22712626.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime4/4/2019, 18:43

Maurice, welcome to the site.

Alan
Back to top Go down
burgess720
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime6/4/2019, 01:18

Maurice Kanareck wrote:
During my National Service I served as a Clerk Tech with HQ CRAOC, 1 Corps, from 1952 to 1954, and we seem to be missing from your website!  Our small unit (Lieut-Col, Major and, I think, Captain, Sergeant and Corporal together with some four or five other ranks and four or five German civilians) was stationed above a draper's shop in Bad Salzuflen.  Like all HQ CRAOC's, we were a clearing centre for units all over BAOR.  Remember, the then RAOC provided the Army with all their requirements, apart from food, petrol and oil, which was the prerogative of the RASC,  Units would indent for their requirements and we would forward them to the appropriate depots.  Our working day was from around eight o'clock in the morning till four or five in the afternoon, when we would change into civvies and head for town.  However, there was always a duty driver and we could book him for a trip to the, then, HQ at Bad Oeynhausen to attend either an education course or a visit to the garrison theatre.  Our unit transport was the Colonel's Opel Kapitan, a Volkswagen and we also had a Willys Jeep on charge - possibly one of the last in the British Army!  Oh, and our Captain had his own personal, rather racy, white Horch.  Later on we moved from Bad Salzuflen to a location, next to the Military Corrective Establishment at Bielefeld, where our quarters were a classic Nissen hut.  I remember, as a Londoner, writing to London Transport and, because Nissen huts had the curved characteristic of an Underground tunnel, asking if they could send us some posters.  A couple of weeks later they arrived, and so we decorated the interior of our billet with advertising posters and the classic London Transport roundel signs for Piccadilly Circus when, at the next GOC's inspection, we were congratulated on our morale-lifting exercise!  Perhaps more memories to follow!

Maurice Kanareck: ex-22712626.

Hi Maurice,
Sounds like a good "real" job, not parades or schemes [up to your neck in muck and bullets]
Of interest you mentioned changing into civvies; I was in BAOR 1951-1952 in Osnabruck and we were not allowed outside the camp in civvies; only concession was shoes instead of boots [brown shoes you could get away with]
We had one German civilian as a clerk, plus a lot of women in the cookhouse
Your number 300,000 behind mine, a lot of NS in those days; our unit was about 95% NS, having been formed in November 1950
A lot of our era lads have now passed away; but lets hear more early BAOR stories

Sapper
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime6/4/2019, 07:10

I've just finished reading what I would call the definitive book on National Service, well worth a read:-

"National Service: A Generation in Uniform 1945 - 1963", by Richard Vinen. Available from Amazon (Other book providers are available)!
Back to top Go down
Maurice Kanareck
Private
Private

Registration date : 2019-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime13/4/2019, 00:25

Re Sapper's response to my recent addition to the site ... I have many memories of those days in BAOR and, for the moment, I'll just share a few with you. When we were in Salzuflen we had a young German girl Ursula, working with us. It was a hot summer's day, but we were still sweltering in full BD ... I knew the German for "Are you tired?" was "Zind ze moorder." and so, trying to be polite, I asked her, in my best German, if she, too, was uncomfortable, "Zind ze heiss?". As a result, she blushed to the roots of her hair and stormed out of the office. "What did I say?" I asked the other German civvies, who were working with us. Doubled up with laughter they explained that I'ld just asked if she was on heat, like a lady dog! So much for a little knowledge ... the other occasion, when we were stationed in Bielefeld, was one Christmas. We were lounging in the Nissden hut billet one evening, when one of the lads walked in and casually remarked that Number One store house was on fire. When we ignored him he said "No, honestly ..." so we went outside and, sure enough, there was smoke pouring out, just as he'd said. I remembered that when one was duty clerk we could ring the British Army fire Brigade on 64, so I dialled the number, only to be greeted by a German voice asking "Bitte?" What I hadn't known was that at six o'clock every evening, the line was put through to the local German fire brigade so, in my less than fluent German stuttered "Er, Englische caserner hier ... grosse feuer ... comme schnell!" I then joined the others, only to discover that the "fire" had been some scrim camouflage netting that had been put away damp, and had spontaneously ignited, but which the lads had now put out. The next thing was that duty officer, who had been alerted, arrived to be followed almost immediately by a wailing of sirens and a black Mercedes car, followed by two huge Magirus-Deutsche fire engines that came screaming into the camp, and in no time the place was swarming with black, coal-scuttle steel helmeted firemen were unravelling hoses and yelling "Woh ist der feur?! Woh ist der feur?!" A puzzled duty officer asked "Who the **** sent for this lot?", to which I confessed that I had, only to be bollocked for my initiative as it was to cost the unit funds a considerable number of Deutschemarks for the call-out! Finally, one other memory, is of a demob party when we went down to the local Gasthouse to celebrate our mates impending departure, where we ordered numerous litres of beer, which we interspersed with shots from the whisky bottle that we'd smuggled in with us. I remember walking out into the night at one point, and that's it. The next thing I knew was waking up on my bunk, fully dressed, in the billet the next morning to discover, alongside me, a chimney pot that I'ld obviously liberated from some adjacent building site, though how I managed to get in past the guardroom I still don't know! Forgive the rather lengthy memoir, but I thought it might rekindle similar memories from other BAOR veterans ...

Maurice Kanareck: ex-22712626
Back to top Go down
solowalker21
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-07-31

PostSubject: 49 Company RAOC   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime31/7/2021, 19:31

I've just been reading about 49 Company RAOC and the formation of 1 (BR) Corps Combat Supplies Battalion RAOC. The author refers to "49 RP Company".
I was posted to 49 on 10 Jan 1967 as a newly-trained RAOC Staff Clerk leaving the Junior Tradesmens' Regt in Rhyl and the posting was to 49 Supply Company, RAOC, in Normandy Barracks, Sennelager. As far as I can remember, the unit remained as 49 Supply Company RAOC even after the formation of the Combat Supplies Battalion and the move to Paderborn where, if I remember correctly, we were in the same Barracks as the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. I also remember that, between Jan 1967 and my leaving the unit in 1972, we also moved, at some stage to Munster, where we were in Portsmouth Barracks with an RCT Regiment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amendments to BAOR locations website   Amendments to BAOR locations website Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amendments to BAOR locations website
Page 1 of 1