BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 81 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 80 Guests :: 1 Bot

brian beckett

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

whereabouts of some units in ww2

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 97
Cap Badge : RASC
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Duisdurg, Cyprus - Platres, Nicosia
Registration date : 2012-11-28

whereabouts of some units in ww2 Empty
PostSubject: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime7/3/2013, 17:20

Throughout WW2 various army units occupied all the empty houses and 2 schools on our estate that had been vacated because we were right next to Kenley
aerodrome.

The latter ones were the Seaforth Highlanders - 1942/3. KOYLIs -1943, Royal Artillery with 3.7 ins guns - 1943 to D Day and a RASC Transport co, which also went to France.

I would be interested know what happened to these units after their departure but firstly need to know their correct designations. Anyone know the best way to find these?
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime7/3/2013, 18:42

Lots of information here
http://www.ww2talk.com/
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
craig-an-erin
Cpl
Cpl
craig-an-erin

Number of posts : 11
Cap Badge : 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars
Places Served : Leicester, Tidworth, Paderborn, Bovington, Korea, Tidworth, Lüneburg, Northampton.
Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: British units in Lüneburg immediately post war.   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime11/3/2013, 18:28

I am trying to discover which Units were stationed in Lüneburg in the period 1945 - 1949, in particular was there any specific unit based at No 1,Neuetorstrasse in this period. Also were there any army units based at the airfield ? A friend whose granddad was stationed in the town during this period is reasearching her family history asked me if I could find anything. Over to you guys !
Back to top Go down
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 97
Cap Badge : RASC
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Duisdurg, Cyprus - Platres, Nicosia
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime11/3/2013, 18:48

My father was there in the latter period of those years and I'm pretty sure that he was with 94th Observation Regt Royal Artillery.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1000
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime11/3/2013, 19:52

Myself and JPW are researching this period and can confirm post May 45 that Lüneburg was home to 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division units and to HQ 2nd Army until their disbandment then became home to HQ 30th Corps District with a move from Neinburg until their disbandment late 1946

When 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division disbanded in Aug 46 the 4th Armoured Brigade took responsibility for the town moving its HQ to Worcester Barracks Apr 47 then on their disbandment Lüneburg became 7th Armoured Division area of responsibility

Exact detail is still “under construction” as yet unable to visit Kew to study documentation

Neuetorstrasse is the north of the former Bristol/Worcester Barracks and it seems the former Luftwaffe Kaserne was renamed Alma Barracks and with British Army units until 1958

The BAOR-locations page for Lüneburg needs updating but firstly more research is required have made one “reece” to Lüneburg…but need to return when time permits as there are clearly more than the three barracks recorded on the BAOR-locations pages

Hope we can help in the future
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com
craig-an-erin
Cpl
Cpl
craig-an-erin

Places Served : Leicester, Tidworth, Paderborn, Bovington, Korea, Tidworth, Lüneburg, Northampton.

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime12/3/2013, 12:44

Many thanks for this information Steve. I was back in Lüneburg a couple of years ago, a couple of my pix of Wyvern/Shliefen barracks on Bleckederland Strasse are on the BAOR location page. These barracks occupied by 8H, were in 2008, still in use by the Bundeswehr, but the old Hampshire Regt barracks were in non military occupation. The airfield barracks were being called Theodor-Korner Kaserne. The Intelligence Corp were also operational in the town somewhere, when I was stationed there 1952 +.
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

Number of posts : 89
Cap Badge : QRIH/UDR
Places Served : NI, GB, BAOR
Registration date : 2013-05-03

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime11/5/2013, 17:14

Craig an Erin, have you ever thought of contacting HHQ QRH? There is an historical society there and they also hold the War Diaries for the 8th KRIH?

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
craig-an-erin
Cpl
Cpl
craig-an-erin

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime13/5/2013, 10:14

Very Happy Thanks for this suggestion Hussar100 I hadn't thought to go through the QRH Association. When I think about it, someone on that site will have info I'm sure, it's just that there are increasingly few of us left from those days ! But I did hear that ' Rauno's Cafe', (formerly Rauno's Bar) has closed. After what, a century or more ?
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime13/5/2013, 13:34

There are still a few old 8H men about. There's one on the unofficial site, Jim McLucas, who left QRIH as a Colonel and is well retired. I'm sure he has all three volumes of the history of the 8th KRIH. I've also met a few Korea hands at Troop Functions. They would have been at Wolfers.

I also know for a fact that HHQ has a copy of the official history.

The unofficial site is at http://qrh-crossbelts.com/

Unfortunately the official site isn't operational at the moment and most old hands prefer the link I've given you.
Back to top Go down
craig-an-erin
Cpl
Cpl
craig-an-erin

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime14/5/2013, 10:44

Thank you Hussar100, will register pronto. You like to visit my, not always up to date, site at squadronclerk.blogspot.com for wry comments on just how hard life was for young Hussars in the 8H. Or not !
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime14/5/2013, 12:31

craig-an-erin wrote:
Thank you Hussar100, will register pronto. You like to visit my, not always up to date, site at squadronclerk.blogspot.com for wry comments on just how hard life was for young Hussars in the 8H. Or not !

I've been on your blog site before mate and always found it very interesting. I'm surprised you aren't registered with the association. You've been a member since you left 8th KRIH and it's free. There's a wee newsletter which comes out every few months and anb opportunity to subscribe to the regimental history society newsletter too. There are OCA Troops all over the England and Ireland and the hold regular functions on Paddy's Day, Balaklava Day and on other occasions throughout the year.

There are quite a few guys go to these wearing 8H ties. Some I know some I don't. Many old Korea hands too.

I see you were in the Big C. So was I. Of course so was anyone who ever counted for anything lol.

Why not e-mail the Regimental Secretary at HHQ. Here's the address: regsec@qrhussars.co.uk His name is Major David Innes-Lumsden and he's a top guy. He came up through the ranks. He'll be able to put you in touch with any of your mates who are still around.

Did you serve with Dickie Napier by the way - at Imjin, under Henry Huth? Have you read his book?

If you PM me on this site with your name I'll pass it on to Colonel McLucas on the unofficial site. He's an old 8H and he's a fantastic source of information as is George Moores (ex RSWO, QRIH).
Back to top Go down
craig-an-erin
Cpl
Cpl
craig-an-erin

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime14/5/2013, 13:33

No doubt about it C Sqn was where it was at ! I knew Dickie Napier. First posted to 444 Forward Delivery Sqn then to 3 Troop in C as Gavin Murray's Operator. Afterwards I was Henry's Sqn Clerk until we were posted to Lüneburg when I rejoined 3 Troop and had a big boy's tank to command, 'Craig-an-Erin', hence my username. Months later, Henry and Jimmy Marshall 'persuaded' me to be their Sqn Clerk again. Never knew if it was because I was a crap Tank Commander, or because I could type. I am a member of the Association and get the Crossbelt. Best Wishes John Tittley
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime14/5/2013, 13:47

craig-an-erin wrote:
No doubt about it C Sqn was where it was at ! I knew Dickie Napier. First posted to 444 Forward Delivery Sqn then to 3 Troop in C as Gavin Murray's Operator. Afterwards I was Henry's Sqn Clerk until we were posted to Lüneburg when I rejoined 3 Troop and had a big boy's tank to command, 'Craig-an-Erin', hence my username. Months later, Henry and Jimmy Marshall 'persuaded' me to be their Sqn Clerk again. Never knew if it was because I was a crap Tank Commander, or because I could type. I am a member of the Association and get the Crossbelt. Best Wishes John Tittley

Another coincidence, I was in 3rd Tp too!

I can't remember Craig an Erin being used as a tank name when I was in the Big C but it could well have been. My brain cells are diminishing on a daily basis. I was on a number of vehicles in my time with names like Castlereagh, Cushendall etc but spent most of my time on Cullion which was our Sgt's name of choice. I was his loader/op.

Do you attend any troop functions?

I've got Dickie Napier's book here and it's a cracking read for such a short book. It gave me a great perspective on the Western Desert campaign as well as a tank commander's description of Imjin. I've also got Bill Bellamy's book and enjoyed it immensely. I actually had his son Andrew as adjutant in Muenster and was priviledged to have 7 days ROPS awarded by him for a breach of Regimental SOP (leaving barracks when drunk).

I met Henry Huth briefly when I was at RAC Demo Sqn (C Sqn QRIH, 79-82). He was giving a lecture on Korea to the JDSC at Warminster and the Sqn Leader (Creighton) arranged a visit to our lines for him. I know Flight Smith too as I'm sure you do? Billy McLernon (Pinky) would have been serving along with you too wouldn't he?
Back to top Go down
craig-an-erin
Cpl
Cpl
craig-an-erin

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime14/5/2013, 14:44

When I was stationed at Mooltan Bks, Tidworth, in 1950 the 8H published a list of names to be used for tanks. I kept my coy for years but finally lost it of course. I had an idea that most were names of (Irish) racehorses, but I might be wrong on that. My memory seems to be selective these days too. Some names and faces I recall vividly, others suddenly appear when my memory is jogged while many others refuse to come forward at all. I knew 'Blood' Venner, Digger Boyall, Ted Paul as young officers in Korea while I remember others in Leicester. But I can give a whole list of names without faces, many of whom have left us. Like Dickie Napier, there were many senior ranks who'd been mounted cavalry, and served through the transition to armour. As late as 1952/53 there were a great many 'regimental' horses available to ride. At Lüneburg we had a German riding master. Anyone prepared to be at the stables at 0530hrs could go riding until 0900hrs. A late breakfast was organised and any troops who had been riding had to be on the tank park by 1000hrs. With a little careful planning, and a craftily organised NAAFI break, it was possible not to be on the park before 1030hrs ! No-one seemed to think it was odd that an armoured regiment should encourage riding. In summer, we even took horses out on schemes. I always suspected that secretly the 8H believed that the error of not having horses would one day be reversed, and we would go back to become proper Irish Cavalry. My nearest Troop is Worcester, but I haven't yet been to a function. I meet up occasionally with a former QRIH, who always stops for a chat. One one those quirks of life, a former nco having a general for a neighbour.
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime14/5/2013, 15:10

I don't remember Mooltan Bcks in Tidworth but I was only there for a couple of months doing my ConSig in '81 with the regiment in Bhurtpore Bcks. We had 2 RIR beside us on one side at Assaye Bcks and I think it was 2 Para in Candahar Bcks. Certainly one of the Para Bns.

I can't speak for 8H obviously but in my time tank names had to be those of Irish place names excepting the occasional battle honour such as Balaklava and of course in C Sqn we had Churchill and Chertsey in SHQ Tp. There weren't many old 8H guys still serving when I was in but there were a few, some of whom I've named.

Riding was still extremely popular but most of it was done by officers. At Muenster we had a stable numbering about 60 horses, mostly hunters and polo ponies. The regiment was still fielding a polo team then, I don't know about now. The stables sgt was Gerry Fitzgerald but you wouldn't have known him, he came to us from the Irish Army after the Congo debacle as did a few others.

I did my stables course and learned to ride but there weren't any dodges going about getting time off for it at that point. Of course that was at RAC Demo Sqn where we were at full wartime strength and working our little socks off to keep 18 panzers on Salisbury Plain on an almost daily basis - thousands of track miles a year.

Naafi break in those days wasn't until "stables" had been blown at 11am.

Worcester Troop eh? The secretary there is a guy called Andy Milton themiltons4@hotmail.com

If Worcester is your nearest troop then my guess is that your neighbour is General Arthur? Would I be right?
Back to top Go down
craig-an-erin
Cpl
Cpl
craig-an-erin

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime14/5/2013, 17:59

General AD is right. First met him in Hereford years ago. I was wearing an 8H tie which he spotted from about 80 yards away. Nice chap, although strangely we talk little of the army. Then I guess the modern army is much different from the one I was in. Very much a citizen's army. Professionalism was very understated and sort of frowned upon. But then the guys who were senior had been through WWII together- and survived. Because of their shared experience they respected each other, and had great confidence in each other's strengths and abilities. They knew what they could do and how to do it, an attitude that served us well in Korea and saved lives. I will always have the greatest respect for them. Mind you there were a number of eccentrics in the ranks, being an 8th Hussar could be fun ! Colonel L for example would sometimes walk about the barracks with a shepherd's crook tied with a blue ribbon. Nobody thought it weird. He had also the habit, which we followed, of turning up his BD cuffs and shirt cuffs together. Where this came from I have no idea but even to-day I sometimes turn back my jacket cuffs in a similar fashion. This mode of 'undress' was more or less tolerated. On one occasion, the RSM was drilling subalterns on the square when Col Guy wandered on with his cuffs back, and crook. Immediately hawk-eyed Tom Leckie bellowed out 'Col Lowther Sir, you are improperly dressed on my square, may I ask you to leave '. Col Guy simply shouted back, 'Sorry Tom, my apologies' and walked away. Again,those who saw the incident weren't in the least bothered. Happy, if different days indeed. Having written that, I guess the regiment having an Irish heritage was a factor, we were always much more laid back than others.
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime15/5/2013, 14:57

Aye he's a great guy. There's so much could be told about him if only it was known. I've always asserted he was the Blair Mayne of the modern army. I last saw him about 3 years ago on a Paddy's Day OCA weekend at Sennelager but he was too busy with Nick the Greek and others to be able to take the time for a chat.

I can recognise exactly what you mean about the camaraderie of the regiment in your time with so many old Egypt hands still there and all those who fought in the Western Desert and from D Day onwards. Guys like Dickie Napier for example.

Eccentrics? Tell me about it. You always look for the character in the sqn but the Irish Hussars was full of them. As you say being Irish does help because there is a natural turn of phrase which Irishmen have that seems to make everything funnier. I've known a few eejits in my time. Sadly one of the best characters was buried just a couple of weeks ago but I don't know if you'd ever met him as he wasn't from your time? Ivor Glen (Bogey) Stirling?

Colonel Lowther is still a legend amongst the old hands and not just for his eccentricities. His command of the regiment during Korea is legendary as is the formation of Lowtherforce (as well as Cooperforce). I've been reading up on a lot of it recently. Henry Huth and Peter Ormrod during Imjin were amazing men. What's always a little bit galling is how, when these events are recalled on TV they focus on the Glosters, seemingly forgetting that, despite the Gloster's fabulous stand at Gloster Hill there were other regiments involved too and the work carried out by the 8H was superb. If it wasn't for the Filipino tank blocking the pass the 8H would have got through to the Glosters and quite possibly rescued them as they did the Northumberlands.

Were you in any of those actions?

I knew Guy Lowther's son btw, he also commanded the regiment just after my transfer to 3 Inf Bde.

Surprising too how many of the officer cadre are still from the Republic of Ireland. General Arthur is a great example of that but there were so many others. Of course they all sound English but I think the Irish in them is one of the reasons for the high-jinks which still takes place in the mess as I was discussing with an ex-REME guy the other day.

We all know the Irish are laid back and we know the cav are laid back. It's when you get the combination of the two, Irish cavalry, that the fun really starts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whereabouts of some units in ww2   whereabouts of some units in ww2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

whereabouts of some units in ww2
Page 1 of 1