BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 73 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 73 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Empty
PostSubject: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime3/5/2013, 19:32

There has been much written about the breaking of the German WW2 Enigma machine coding system, since the 1970s when these secrets started coming into the public domain. A number of films have bee made about BP and Enigma, including an American film about U-110, and the capture of an Enigma coding machine. Is it so curious that American film makers are trying to give a revisionist slant to the Enigma story, that aside.

What I find very interesting was the story of Colossus - the building and operation of the World first electronic, programable computer. This was developed by a Post Office engineer, Tommy Flowers and his staff. It would be interesting to read or find out just how effective the 2 Colossus systems that were used in the story of the breaking of WW2 codes at BP. The Americans built their own verstions of Colosus to asist in the breaking of Japanese codes in WW2. After the war ended, the 2 Colossi computers were relocated to the new GCHQ organisation in Cheltenham, after Blechely Park was closed after the end of WW2.

The development of computer systems for codebreaking continued in the years post WW2. The Colossus computers were also used up to the early 1960s, when they were decomissioned, and new systems were developed, and were usued, inclduing 'super computers' such as Cray.

I have visited BP a few times over recent years, and will no doubt make another visit to that very interesting place. I missed out on a visit to GCHQ when serving with 224 Sig Squadron (Radio) in the early 1970s. I was sent on a detachment to Norn Iron for some months at tha time. I have an interest in Military History, and I myself have worked in Computing and IT for many years after leaving the R Signals in 1977. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 135
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime3/5/2013, 20:13

I worked for Lyons, of Golden Syrup fame, in 58 . They designed and operated the first BUSINESS COMPUTER. It was called LEO (lyons electronic office). I hasten to add I was scrubbing pots and pans and didn't know the word Computer. Embarassed Smile There are a whole lot of cans of worms about the first programmable computer.... cheers
Back to top Go down
Chemist
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Chemist

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime5/5/2013, 17:06

Dulaigh wrote:
I worked for Lyons, of Golden Syrup fame, in 58 . They designed and operated the first BUSINESS COMPUTER. It was called LEO (lyons electronic office). I hasten to add I was scrubbing pots and pans and didn't know the word Computer. Embarassed Smile There are a whole lot of cans of worms about the first programmable computer.... cheers

AWRE Aldermaston had a (Ferranti?) computer in 1956,in a building about the size of a large bungalow. Fred Hoyle the astronomer came to use it, and various Prime Ministers dropped in to have a gawk at it.
How things have changed
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime5/5/2013, 21:31

Hi Chemist...very interesting...thermionic valves took up space and generated lots of heat...we have moved on some...What unit were u ?
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

Number of posts : 89
Cap Badge : QRIH/UDR
Places Served : NI, GB, BAOR
Registration date : 2013-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime7/5/2013, 18:02

What a shame Collosus was broken up. I always appreciate seeing the original rather than a copy.
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime7/5/2013, 20:36

1968 I saw mainframe, IBM ? at Watney's in Wandsworth. Line printers. In 1978/9 still using punch cards to input progs on various mainframe. and then onto VDU's and keyboards. There were still some of the original Programmers/Engineers about then. Happy memories.
Back to top Go down
pentaxpete
Sgt
Sgt
pentaxpete

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : Millbank RAMC College, Royal Herbert Hosp Woolwich, BMH Munster, BMH Berlin, BMH Iserlohn
Registration date : 2017-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime8/2/2017, 16:31

I went with Wife on a coach trip -- I always wanted to go -- so i took some photos and will show a few -- I used a 'Gift' Minolta X-700 Not a 'Pentax' !!  

Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Secret10Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Secret11
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Secret12
Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Secret13
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime18/2/2017, 10:59

Many decrypt techniques, and what is called TA or Traffic Analysis that were developed at Blechely Park during World War Two, are still highly classified today. The same techniques to built ORBATS (order of battle) etc used by US and UK intelligence servcies are still used regularly, hence the reluctance to publicise how this works.

all very interesting from an historic point of view. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers   Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bletchley Park, codebreakers & Colosus Computers
Page 1 of 1