BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 19:14 by alan8376

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:18 by steve

» Sennelager 1977
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen

Go down 
+5
welshexport63
steve
Hardrations
JPW
Dan M
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

Number of posts : 136
Cap Badge : The Royal Canadian Regiment
Places Served : 1977-80, London ON, Gagetown NB
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/4/2021, 00:52

boatdoctor wrote:
We were our own shoulder patch of a gold norman axe on a blue background.

Did your patch look like this? It's the NORTHAG patch.

Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Northern_Army_Group.svg
Back to top Go down
boatdoctor
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : RC Sigs
Registration date : 2021-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/4/2021, 01:20

That's it.
Back to top Go down
boatdoctor
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : RC Sigs
Registration date : 2021-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/4/2021, 18:15

At 3 Joint Operation Center we worked with Brits, Germans, Dutch and Belgians. These troops were air force. Once a year or so there would be an exercise and army HQ troops would come and man their respective offices. The highest rank I recall seeing was a Brit Brig. Only once during my tour do I remember American troops manning positions in the caves. Our jobs as communicators never changed except for the increase in traffic.
I encountered said Brig in the main washroom on his first time being there. (no rank segregation) The cement floor was always in puddles of water due to sweating pipes and poor ventilation. He asked me if it was always like this, to which I replied "no sir, it's usually worse but they cleaned it up for the exercise.

Dan M likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rick
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Cap Badge : Signals Corps
Places Served : 4 CMBG Lahr, 1 CSR, 1 CDHSR, JSR, UNDOF, UNFICYP
Registration date : 2021-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/6/2021, 02:32

Dan M wrote:
Quote :
My father served with NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) in Rheindahlen back in 1960-61. However, we lived in the married quarters, which were located in Wickrath.

Until I read your post, I never knew the Canadian MQs were located on Beethoven Strasse. I was only 3/4 years old at the time, so my memories are hazy, but there nonetheless.

Welcome Rick,

I look forward to any stories or photos you may wish to share about your or your father's time in Germany, north or south.

Were you serving with the Brigade signal squadron or with the strategic squadron?

Cheers,
Dan.
Thanks very much for the warm welcome, Dan. I felt extremely fortunate to have actually found a discussion forum that referenced the NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian).

I was very young, but I remember a few stories. I also have my late father's photo album, and I'll post a few photos from that a bit later. Reference the photos, should I post them here in this forum, or is there another forum specifically for photos?

Thanks again, Dan.

Rick
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/6/2021, 13:01

Rick,
If you have probs with posting the photos, I'll put them on for you.
You will need my email address. I'll PM you.

Don't scan too big! As the site has limited storage.

Alan
Back to top Go down
Rick
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Soest   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/6/2021, 23:43

As I was saying to Allan, I feel very fortunate to have found this site. I was only 3 or 4 years old when we lived in Wickrath, but some memories are still there.

My father, John "Jack" Landry, initially went over to Soest, then came back to Canada, met and married my mother, and brought the family over to Wickrath when he was posted to NORTHAG Signals Troop (Canadian).

Here are some photos from Soest Signals Troop (Canadian) from my late father's photo collection. The first image is a unit photo of the Soest Signals Sqn. My father is in the fourth rank, sixth from the right. He is also in the forefront to the last image during a kit inspection.

The soldier in the rear rank, second from the right, is Wayne Marshall, who eventually became my SSM with the 1st Canadian Signals Regiment (1 CSR). More to follow, as I get the photos prepped.

Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Thumbn10
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Thumbn12
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Thumbn11

alan8376 and Dan M like this post

Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/6/2021, 01:19

Rick wrote:
My father, John "Jack" Landry, initially went over to Soest, then came back to Canada, met and married my mother, and brought the family over to Wickrath when he was posted to NORTHAG Signals Troop (Canadian).

Here are some photos from Soest Signals Troop (Canadian) from my late father's photo collection. The first image is a unit photo of the Soest Signals Sqn. My father is in the fourth rank, sixth from the right. He is also in the forefront to the last image during a kit inspection.

The soldier in the rear rank, second from the right, is Wayne Marshall, who eventually became my SSM with the 1st Canadian Signals Regiment (1 CSR). More to follow, as I get the photos prepped.

Rick,

What great photographs, especially to an Army nut like me. The group photo looks like it was taken pre-1958 as the Other Ranks are wearing berets rather than forage caps. The Signal Squadron, as you are more than likely aware, was located at Fort Henry. (Right across the road from the detention barracks.) Do you have any background to the barrack photos, like where and when?

Can't wait to see what else you have.

Cheers,
Dan.

PS: Not meant to be a criticism, but if you have a printer/scanner, scanning would you a much better reproduction than photographing them.
Back to top Go down
Rick
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Soest Signal Squadron   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/6/2021, 01:24

Dan M wrote:
Rick wrote:

Rick,

What great photographs, especially to an Army nut like me. The group photo looks like it was taken pre-1958 as the Other Ranks are wearing berets rather than forage caps. The Signal Squadron, as you are more than likely aware, was located at Fort Henry. (Right across the road from the detention barracks.) Do you have any background to the barrack photos, like where and when?

Can't wait to see what else you have.

Cheers,
Dan.

PS: Not meant to be a criticism, but if you have a printer/scanner, scanning would you a much better reproduction than photographing them.
Hello Dan,

Thanks very much for the kind words. Unfortunately, I don't own a scanner, and the only way I can do this is to photograph the pictures.

The squadron photo is from the Soest Signals Squadron, circa 1956(?), but I do not remember the name of the barracks. Each of these men in that photo had their own story. The signal squadron you referred to, that was located near Fort Henry, is the same unit I served with here in Kingston. I was only a young private when I served with the 1st Canadian Signal Regiment (1 CSR). Later, it was renamed the 1st Canadian Divisional Headquarters and Signal Regiment (1 CDHSR), until it was yet, again renamed, as the Canadian Forces Joint Signal Regiment (CFJSR). I served with all three versions of the unit.

Here are two more photos from my father's collection. The man with the accordion is Cpl Barney Mann. He was one of the older lads in the Soest Signal Squadron, and he took my father, who was only 17 at the time, under his wing. Barney was a good man, and according to my father he passed away from a heart attack while serving in Kingston.

The second photo is of a wireless vehicle kit inspection. I'm unsure as to why one photo is smaller than the other, but if you have administrator privileges, Dan, please amend as you see fit. I'll post some more pics through the week.

Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Thumbn13
Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Thumbn14

Dan M likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dan M
WOI
WOI
Dan M

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/6/2021, 02:03

Rick wrote:

The squadron photo is from the Soest Signals Squadron, circa 1956(?), but I do not remember the name of the barracks. Each of these men in that photo had their own story. The signal squadron you referred to, that was located near Fort Henry, is the same unit I served with here in Kingston. I was only a young private when I served with the 1st Canadian Signal Regiment (1 CSR). Later, it was renamed the 1st Canadian Divisional Headquarters and Signal Regiment (1 CDHSR), until it was yet, again renamed, as the Canadian Forces Joint Signal Regiment (CFJSR). I served with all three versions of the unit.

Rick, great photographs again. Thanks for posting them.

In 1956, the Canadian Army's contribution to the NATO Integrated Force was 2 Canadian Infantry Brigade. It arrived in Germany during the Fall of 1955 and would remain until the Fall of 1957. There was more than one signal unit with the Brigade. The largest, 2 CIB Signal Troop, was located at Fort Henry outside of Soest with the Brigade Headquarters. 4 RCHA Signal Troop was attached to the artillery at Fort Prince of Wales in Deilinghofen (now Hemer). Finally there was 2 Base Signal Troop which handled communications for the Canadian force back to Canada and to other NATO headquarters. I think they were at Fort Henry as well.

My notes say that 2 CIB Signal Troop was built around "K" Troop of 1 Canadian Infantry Division Signal Regiment, "K" Troop being one of the three Brigade HQ signal troops in the Regiment. When the Canadian Army reorganized into independent Brigade Groups in 1958, Brigade signal troops became Brigade signal squadrons. (Sorry for pontificating.)

Don't be shy about talking about your own career either. It's all good stuff to us.

Cheers,
Dan.
Back to top Go down
Rick
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/6/2021, 02:52

Thanks very much, Dan. I never knew of Fort Henry in Soest, so your information fills in a lot of gaps.

I do remember the "K" troop reference, though. I saw the "K" Tp table at a Signal reunion in Kingston back in 2005. I possibly know of one soldier who is still around that may remember a lot more than I do. He's one of the soldiers in the squadron photo, and I'll try looking him up sometime this week.

As for my career, it really is unspectacular. i had two UN tours of duty, where I served with the British, and Japanese. Other than those deployments, and a 5-year posting to Germany, my career isn't all that colourful. I enjoyed every minute of it, though.

Thanks again, Dan. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen   Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canadian Signal Troop assigned to HQ NORTHAG Rheindahlen
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2