BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Looking for old school & barracks
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitimeYesterday at 19:33 by ianalderman

» MAP of MUNSTER Oxford Barracks area c 1955?
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime19/9/2024, 15:48 by alan8376

» Pete & Madge formerly of Bolton, Soest and Fallingbostel
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime19/9/2024, 08:32 by alan8376

» Have you heard of a place called SCHMIEDE?
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime19/9/2024, 01:40 by Pborn4

» Woodsford - or descended from that name, 1951
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime18/9/2024, 18:52 by Zloty

» Long shot Hildesheim 1964
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime18/9/2024, 18:14 by JGW

» Family member
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime18/9/2024, 15:13 by Lisabonet1999

» I'm looking for information about my grandfather
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime18/9/2024, 10:53 by Gozoman

» Calling all R.A. members, and anyone with possible details
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime16/9/2024, 09:14 by Mikeh

» Do you know this place - Bothfeld Kaserne
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 10:44 by steve

» Barker Bks, (prev. Panzer Viking!) Driburgerstr, Paderborn
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:46 by steve

» Horrocks Barracks, Schloss Neuhaus
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime11/9/2024, 08:42 by steve

» Soldiers Pensions
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime6/9/2024, 00:09 by Pborn4

» RAPA, Bad Lippspringer
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime3/9/2024, 08:33 by Dee Z

» Polish Air Force
NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime2/9/2024, 22:51 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 36 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 36 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
September 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rick
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Cap Badge : Signals Corps
Places Served : 4 CMBG Lahr, 1 CSR, 1 CDHSR, JSR, UNDOF, UNFICYP
Registration date : 2021-02-21

NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Empty
PostSubject: NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse   NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime27/6/2021, 02:37

As I was reading some posts in the forum, I came across a reference to Beethoven Strasse. Apparently, this is the street where the Canadian Signallers, and their families, were housed in Wickrath. We would have been there in 1962/63?

I was only 4 years old at the time, but I still remember a bit from then. The ship we took to get to Germany was called "The Homeric". I don't remember where we disembarked.

As for Beethoven Strasse, I remember we lived in the last building on the right, as you were leaving the community. Each of these buildings had spiral staircases, in lieu of the traditional staircases that led to the second floor. As an aside, I can't remember if they had 2/3 floors, but I remember the spiral staircases.

The buildings were all serviced and maintained by a retired British WW2 veteran named, "Willie." I remember him for several reasons, but mainly because he was a good friend to my mother and father. He was superintendent to the building(s), and he also looked after the families if the lads had been called out (my mother told me, that he took this seriously). If I recall correctly, Willie was also a boxer, and I remember my parents telling me that he could handle himself extremely well.

We were also there during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I only found out, years later, just how close we came to war back then. My mother told me about all the women in our building convening in our apartment, and listening to the radio to see whether we were going to be flown back to Canada. I don't remember that, but my late mother told me I was with her on that day.

I remember the names of some of parent's friends. One family was "Jewers" and the other "Tremblays". We kept in touch with them for many years after we returned to Canada.

If anyone has any recollection, or if anyone knows specifically where these units are in Wickrath today, please let me know. They've either been renovated, or they could have been replaced outright, I honestly don't know either way.

Thanks in advance,

R.
Back to top Go down
spidermike
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-06-08

NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Empty
PostSubject: Re: NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse   NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse Icon_minitime8/6/2023, 16:45

I lived in that same apartment block from 1965/6 to 1969 ! I would have been 10 - 13 years old. We were on the first floor on the right hand side. I've been trying to find some street view photos but apparently they don't allow them in Germany at least through Google.
Back to top Go down

NORTHAG Signal Troop (Canadian) - Beethoven Strasse
Page 1 of 1