BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 72 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 72 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

German Grub!!

Go down 
+22
steve1226
jimsigs1
Ian
cartav
Sgmn
ciphers
Dee Z
alan8376
brrowe
steve
Hardrations
recce83
KIeler sprotten
biggsy
Daveb
"john boy"
Eric England
TimSherlock
gingerjim
Cliffo
Shelldrake
unclevanya
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

German Grub!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime20/1/2016, 13:08

Is this the start of a new topic? The wurst joke yet?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime20/1/2016, 18:06

It could be aber, Ich hab' kein' Bock mehr. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime21/1/2016, 19:50

I think the days of the Bock are venishing !! O' dear, what will the old Deers do?
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 00:10

Bockwurst and fried kartoffle this evening. Bockwurst from the German Deli. They make the best with hice senf.

My German spelling is probably wrong, and I'm to lazy to get my good frau to check it out. But you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 10:35

Forgot to mention that on my recent trip to the Rhineland was introduced to a Pear schnapps (a local speciality apparently), the effect on my mouth was similar to drinking battery acid. Thank heavens up north that Dortmunder or Herforder Lager or Holsten Pils was the alcoholic drink of choice, One disappointment was that I never had the chance of sampling a traditional Schnitzel.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 14:38

I always felt that a good schnaps was the kirsh schnaps. A friend of mine in Germany, his father made his own. Out standing stuff. Still though have to agree with you JPW a good German beer was the choice, in my case Iserlohner Pilsner up north of Huf Heisen (Spelling wrong but it was Horse Shoe in English).
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 14:53

JPW wrote:
Forgot to mention that on my recent trip to the Rhineland was introduced to a Pear schnapps (a local speciality apparently), the effect on my mouth was similar to drinking battery acid.

Intrigued! - did they sell battery acid in the REME bar? drunken drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 16:43

Hardrations

Thoroughly endorse your comments regarding Kirschwasser.

Had a slice of genuine Schwartzwald torte the size of a brick. Delicious! especially as everything had been well and truly soaked in the magic liquid especially the remaining cherries.

Apparently it is legal to brew your own kirsch wasser down south. You only need a licence if you sell the product for money not if you barter it for goods or give it away as a gift
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 19:12

The way it was explained to me, was that you paid a tax or gave some some to govt. I remember seeing small distilleries in an old water wheel mill, a small jeans factor, a gasthof and a farm. I well remember the one in the gasthof in my village. I asked the owners son one day, who was making a batch of opps schnaps, when he knew it was ready. The answer was, " When I'm drunk". Made sense to me. (Opps schanps was all sorts of fruit in it and was known to me as panzer benzene or Spreingstoff ) I know my spelling is wrong but my good German wife is out and about.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 19:44

Hardrations

Your Panzer Benzine looks like Rum topf to me. Regarding the kirsch wasser distilleries I got the impression that many people who owned a few cherry trees could and did brew their own hooch legally in their own back yard. The small distilleries you describe provided usefull income via the tourist trade.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime22/1/2016, 22:00

No definitely not Rum Topf. This was schnaps with all sorts of fruit, apple, pear, peach, etc in the mash. I well remember Rum poured over fruit when in season then to be dished over ice cream in my case in reasonable amounts. Potent stuff it was, but no longer to be consumed by me.

The Ops schnapps was popular drink in the Black Forest where I lived.
Back to top Go down
KIeler sprotten
WOII
WOII
KIeler sprotten

Number of posts : 80
Cap Badge : 13/18 ROYAL HUSSARS QMO
Places Served : Carlisle, NEUMUNSTER , Piddlehinton, Bovington
Registration date : 2011-09-04

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime24/1/2016, 18:20

Or the corn schnapps , Poured ice cold from the frozen bottle.
Back to top Go down
KrisT
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 37
Cap Badge : Jimmy
Places Served : Catterick;Newton Abbot;Bunde;Minden; Chester; Nicosia
Registration date : 2017-09-17

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/9/2017, 20:19

Hardrations wrote:
No definitely not Rum Topf. This was schnaps with all sorts of fruit, apple, pear, peach, etc in the mash. I well remember Rum poured over fruit when in season then to be dished over ice cream in my case in reasonable amounts.  Potent stuff it was, but no longer to be consumed by me.

The Ops schnapps was popular drink in the Black Forest where I lived.
I often holiday in a hotel in the Black Forest village of Kork. The owner makes his own booze and now and then gives it out free at breakfast and again at dinner. Comes round wearing a chef's hat and ringing a handbell, and carrying a large tray of drinks several times during the meal, each time with a different drink. Makes dinner quite interesting.....
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime19/9/2017, 10:11

Boozing at Breakfast? Whatever next?
Back to top Go down
KrisT
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 37
Cap Badge : Jimmy
Places Served : Catterick;Newton Abbot;Bunde;Minden; Chester; Nicosia
Registration date : 2017-09-17

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime19/9/2017, 21:16

JPW wrote:
Boozing at Breakfast? Whatever next?
Not guilty. No booze for me these days....
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime23/11/2017, 19:19

Just a quick note to those in Canada who have access to a Loblaw's or Canadian Superstore: They're offering those delicious Christmas Stollen again this year. They're the real thing, made by a bakery in Soest, my old home away from home, and feature a nice picture of the Marktplatz on the box, which almost makes it a Christmas card as well as a container.

For those on the other side of the pond: you can probably get them as well at Tesco or Sainsbury's, etc.

Guten apetit!
Back to top Go down
JGW
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 42
Places Served : AAS Arborfield, 5 Inf Wksps then 14 Regt. RA Dortmund, 1 Inf Wksps Aden, 22 Sigs Lippstadt, REBCS then 65CSS RE Hameln, Borden, 15/19 H then 9/12 Lancers Tidworth, 4 ADSR, Herford, QoH then 4/7 DGuards Detmold.
Registration date : 2019-03-28

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/5/2019, 13:48

Like almost anything, if you pig-out on sauerkraut its going to give you (in this case) Belin Belly. A few spoonful's with a meal is great. However, I did find I like some bands more than others.

I really tried as much as I could over there and enjoyed most things, although there were one or two items I couldn't face.

Particular favourite of mine was roast horse. And out in Cyprus - roasted goat with local roast spuds.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/5/2019, 05:29

It was the rabbit I had in Nicosia that was outstanding. And as you say the goat was good to.
Back to top Go down
JGW
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Places Served : AAS Arborfield, 5 Inf Wksps then 14 Regt. RA Dortmund, 1 Inf Wksps Aden, 22 Sigs Lippstadt, REBCS then 65CSS RE Hameln, Borden, 15/19 H then 9/12 Lancers Tidworth, 4 ADSR, Herford, QoH then 4/7 DGuards Detmold.

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/5/2019, 05:50

I don't recall rabbit on any menu. In fact I don't think I saw a rabbit in the 6 months I was there - caged or wild. I would have thought they might have been around the abandoned Nicosia Airport, but since we used the perryway for compulsory runs (UN ruling) and, not being a 'natural' runner, I tended to be well at the back, they had no doubt gone to earth by the time I arrived!
I'm not a fish lover, but there used to be a small breeze block kitchen with an adjoining open sided thatched area right next to the harbour at lovely quiet coastal village of Aya Nappa. Fish was unloaded from the boats and went straight into the kitchen. It was delicious. This was '76. I saw Aya Nappa on TV back in the '90's I think - just all night clubs. Totally ruined....or is it a sign of old age?

Horse Shoe Bay was another place with a similar restaurant which produced absolutely first class grub. No electric there, but they had cold drinks. They used to bury large blocks of ice about 6'down and it stayed frozen. Just dug and hacked a lump off. Nowadays H&S would probably have kittens over that!
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/5/2019, 06:50

I was made to understand it was domestic rabbit, not wild. Something I learned to enjoy in Germany when posted there. Used to raise my own.
Back to top Go down
JGW
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/5/2019, 09:48

Rabbit cooked in various ways was something I grew up with, as my grandparents had a farm in Kent, and he went out weekly with his shotgun - usually Sunday. I thought he was a real marksman until I learned about shot spread.
However, it came to an abrupt end when myxomatosis was introduced and it was considered unsafe to eat rabbit from that point. I have to say that the suffering I saw would have put me off anyway.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/5/2019, 14:55

I'm in Kyrenia at the moment, come out every year for a few months at a time. The Cyprus that we knew from "The good old days" has long gone, McDonalds, Burger King, Debenhams, M&S etc are all flourishing in the Malls here. Most cars are top of the range Mercs, Audi, BMW etc and the only rabbits for sale are in the sex shops! albino albino
Back to top Go down
JGW
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime29/5/2019, 22:23

Sounds totally yukkie! Why bother to go? All that is here.
Is there no unspoilt areas now?
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/5/2019, 05:17

Shelldrake wrote:
I'm in Kyrenia at the moment, come out every year for a few months at a time.   The Cyprus that we knew from "The good old days" has long gone, McDonalds, Burger King, Debenhams, M&S etc are all flourishing in the Malls here.   Most cars are top of the range Mercs, Audi, BMW etc and the only rabbits for sale are in the sex shops! albino albino

Is Ellen's Bar still in business down on Regina St? I know, I know. Probably long gone.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime30/5/2019, 06:00

Hardrations wrote:
Shelldrake wrote:
I'm in Kyrenia at the moment, come out every year for a few months at a time.   The Cyprus that we knew from "The good old days" has long gone, McDonalds, Burger King, Debenhams, M&S etc are all flourishing in the Malls here.   Most cars are top of the range Mercs, Audi, BMW etc and the only rabbits for sale are in the sex shops! albino albino

Is Ellen's Bar still in business down on Regina St? I know, I know. Probably long gone.

Long, long gone - licentious soldierly are persona non grata nowadays, not good for the tourist trade! drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: German Grub!!   German Grub!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

German Grub!!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next