BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
General Info. Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
General Info. Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
General Info. Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
General Info. Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
General Info. Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
General Info. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
General Info. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
General Info. Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
General Info. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
General Info. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
General Info. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
General Info. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
General Info. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
General Info. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
General Info. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 46 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 46 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

General Info.

Go down 
+3
csqnblackhat
unclevanya
Johnwalker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 98
Cap Badge : OX2 9BU
Places Served : B.A.O.R. Uk. Aden. Libya. +
Registration date : 2010-01-12

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime7/4/2016, 11:39

Bound For Britain.

The rebasing and drawdown of British Forces Germany (BFG) continues  in 2016 as four units - 5th Battalion ,The Rifles,
1 and 6 Regts,RLC and The  99 Postal Courier and Movement Sqd-transfer to the UK, involving the relocation of around 470 families and
more than 850 Soldiers.

BFG will close Princess Royal Barracks Gutersloh. Alanbrooke Barrracks Paderborn. Tower Barracks Dulmen and Kiel Adventurous Training Centre for release to the German authorities.
Following these moves around 3,000 personnel will remain in the country and together with UK-based civilians and dependents, a community of some 8,700 staff
will be staying on at Bielefeld,Paderborn and Gtersloh until the completion of the drawdown in 2019.

Meanwhile. the work has started on brand new single living accommodation at Duke of Gloucester Barracks in South Cerney which is destined for troops returning from Germany.
The £8 Million project will provide 90 new bedrooms for junior ranks and senior non-commissioned officers.
The 99 Postal Courier and Movement Control Sqd is due to move there this year ans 69 PM and MC Sqd currently based at Bielefeld will join them in 2019.
Development work such as the construction such as the new gym,offices and storage space is still to be completed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gents.This above is   from this months (April) Soldier magazine page 12. Thought  I would pass it along.
I did telephone their head office and asked permission to post this up.
Yes ............However Please mention the Soldier Mag.....Job done.

As a matter of interest how many I wonder do have the Soldier Mag. You can of course  go on line to read the whole mag  .
I am lucky I Pick mine up each month from The Oxford University Officers Training Unit here in Oxford.Falklands House where I have been involved since 1985. In fact they give me several copies to pass onto my Veteran friends which I have
been doing for many years.
A magazine I look forward to very much.

Regards to you all

John.
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Have You Any Regrets about taking the Queens Shilling??   General Info. Icon_minitime20/6/2016, 10:28

With the pull back of UK troops, RAF (Crab Air) etc from Germany in these post Cold War years, and the general demise of BAOR, Rheindahlen and all that - do those of us who were lucky enought to have served as regular servicemen/women during the 1950s, 1960, 1970s and beyond up to present times (2016), ever regret the chances that we all had to serve in Germany, NATO and other places where our current servicepersonel will never have had the opportunity for. (Myself - Ex Scallyback, BAOR during the 1960s)

The problem with our much reduced Armed services, on the ground of financial austerity, so we are told, those service personell will never experience what we experienced in troubled tiems and peace. The joys of boozing in Germany, trips out, the joys of "SnellZug" etc Our current lads and lasses seem to be being used st peackeeprs, or clearing up the messes across the Middle East etc that our political masters get us into occassionally.

But then - was it always thus? i certainly would not ahve travelled to some of those places I did get to. during the Veterans breakfast around the UK now, we can reminisce with those other vetrans who are still around and able to get out for the meet ups. I occasionally go to the Veterans Breakfast at Southend, Essex, the 'Toby Carvery' on the A127 into Sarfend...!!! cheers Shocked
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime16/5/2017, 22:29

More 'blah' from Young Uncle V....

BAOR reading amterial in barracks when off duty. Does anyone remember the War Comics that did the rounds and were affectionately called 'training manuals?'

I remember reading a number of books by a Danish author called Sven hassel, who claims to ahve served in a Danish Division at a tankie in the German Army during World War Two. I remember a number of these books did the rounds in the barracks and were very popular reading in the late 1960s in 28 Signal Regiment (BR) that I served in.

Sven Hassel died some years ago in 2012 aged 95 according to 'wikipedia'. I found his books quite fascinating. In the 1980s, a film was made called the 'wheels of Terror' based on his experience on the Eastern front during the Nazi 'Operation Barbarosa' invasion of the Soviets.

Do any Old Timers and Cold war Warriors of the 1960s and 1970s remember these books, and what did you make of them? What a Face
Back to top Go down
csqnblackhat
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 39
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Hohne, 11th Hussars, Munsterlager, 4 Fd Regt R.A. Warminster, School of Infantry Demo Squadron, 2RTR and 13/18 Hussars.
Registration date : 2011-09-11

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime17/5/2017, 13:17

I do remember the 'training mauals', the Commando series were especially popular I seem to recall. J T Edson books were also popular, as were well-thumbed copies of Parade and Blighty.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime17/5/2017, 15:30

I also remember the Commando magazines, fitted neatly into the map pocket. The guys would delete the printed word and insert their own words, which obviously, I can't reproduce here!! Sven Hassel was also popular reading, how much was fiction and how much fact seems debatable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Hassel

"Information Magazines" aka Pink Backs were also popular in those innocent days. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime17/5/2017, 17:26

My time in BAOR was the early 50's and Hank Janson was the author of choice - in fact I think it was the only choice.
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime21/5/2017, 23:30

Sven Hassel. Remember him? Sure do. The book would be passed on when finished. They had some tough scenarios in them. There was penguin book, " I Jahn Kramer" I got in the NAFFI in Iserlohn, a Dutch author, nothing to do with the military but a darn good read. Still have it.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime22/5/2017, 08:33

I too have fond memories of the BAOR "training manuals" which in my case were brought out every unit deployment exercise as aide to staying awake whilst on overnight radio watch in the OPS wagon.

The contents of an ammo box (as listed in the earlier postings) were pooled and carefully put away at ENDEX for the next deployment, usually less than a month away.
Back to top Go down
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime8/6/2017, 10:26

It has been alleged/reported that post the 2017 General Elections, MoD are looking at reducing the Brish Army by around another 16 thousand front line and support troops. The UK Army strength could be down to around 82 thousand in the next few years, with more reliance on Terratorials and Reserve Forces. This has been tried before and it did not work. Looks like the may Tory government will make the same mistakes over again -- why?
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime8/6/2017, 17:12

unclevanya

The down sizing of the Regular Army has already happened and some Commentators have said you can now fit its entire strength into Wembley Stadium with room to spare. You can find details under the title Army 2020 on the internet.

To counter this the Reserves are suppose to increase to a strength of thirty thousand by 2020 but it is widely accepted that the former TA had a maximum effective strength of about twenty thousand in peacetime, but MOD Accountants/Treasury Officials will doubtless be very happy with the underspend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

General Info. Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Info.   General Info. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Info.
Page 1 of 1