BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 59 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 59 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards

Go down 
+6
arbor
Johnwalker
bob
Jimnopidy
Norman Hall
Paul
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Empty
PostSubject: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime27/7/2008, 08:41

Do we have any ex-members amongst us?

If so, can you add anything to the entries on the main site for:-

1946 November 1948 York Bks, Munster.
December 1948 - October 1951 Barker Bks, Paderborn.
February 1957 - November 1962 Athlone Bks, Sennelager.
March 1969 - June 1970 Harewood Bks, Herford.
June 1970 - November 1973 York Bks, Munster.
November 1977 - 1981 Imphal Bks, Osnabruck.
1986 - 1989 Barker Bks, Paderborn.

Paul.

Donovans likes this post

Back to top Go down
Norman Hall
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Places Served : Athlone Barracks, Sennelager 1961962
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime5/3/2009, 15:12

I did my National Service with the 5th Royal Dragoon Guards at Athlone Barracks from December 1959 to November 1962. After six week basic training at Catterick me and another (Neil Metcalfe) were shipped out as Non Tradesmen because tank driver training had been suspended due to National fuel shortages. We were the last two National Servicement to be allocated to thr Regiment. Two others who were conscripted a month before us were being trained as clerks at Barnard Castle, and joined the Regiment in February 1991. Neil ent into MT as a truck driver and I was kept in RHQ on special duties. These special duties I detested and after some moaning and groaning I was given clerical duties and trade tests. I was married prior to conscription and was deferred as I was a time served bound apprentice, so I was 21 when I entered service in the very last intake of RAC NS 60/22 with the 4/7th RDG at Bourlon LKines Catterick. All the time I was in the army my wife got £4/10s per week and I got 10/s (50p) (8p per day) !!! I remember that my duties were general typng for the CO,"ic, Adjutant and Asst Adjutant, as well as travel warrants and leave. The best two weeks I ever had was at CIV when the LAD was depleting due to NS release and we didnt have any welders, so I got the opportunity to spend these two weeks welding on all the bits that had fallenoff the the tanks, I probably am the only clerk that drove a tank, shunting them about to safe areas, although I had planty of experience driving dozers cranes and excavators prio to the army. I never wore boots during my time with the regiment, never did any duties, exept duty clerk, and was the only one in the regiment not on parade for the standard parade. All in all apart from the brass I had a cushy number.

Donovans likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jimnopidy
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 17
Localisation : originally Salford ,Lancs But ret'd in Kendal,Lake district
Cap Badge : 3rd Carabiniers(POWDG)
Places Served : BAOR/ Detmold /Osnabruck Uk; Catterick/Tidworth, Chester
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime13/5/2009, 22:31

I did GMT with the 'Skins' Way back in '55. arived Catterick -- 1st day of Spring 2ft of snow ! --- feezing cold --- scared to death 16 and a half yr old Band boy. after travelling through the night from Manchester. The regt were not long back from Korea.
I still remember our training company Sgt 'lofty' Bright. Marvelous chap, bright by name and bright by nature.
Attatched to the band I had my first taste of Army life under Bandmaster Harry Vince. Trumpet Major Colin Herbert later became my Bandmaster at the Carabiniers and later was head of Music with the S.African Police band service.
Tough times for a youngster but remembered with great affection the people I met and worked with.

Last edited by Jim Quincey on 17/5/2009, 13:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additionao.linf)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime18/12/2009, 18:20

The Skins were the training Regiment at Cambrai barracks Catterick, when i arrived(intake 74/24)to do my basic training. A SQN took drill, fieldcraft etc and C SQN were tasked the duty of vehicle maint/driver training etc. B SQN were in Berlin. In the summer of 1976 we(skins) left to take up the posting at Imphal Bks, Osnabruck. Taking over from the Scots DG. We did Soltau,Hohne, Batus but our first trip to Fermanagh(N. Ireland)will stay with me forever and i cherish those memories. I left the regiment in 1981.
Back to top Go down
bob
WOII
WOII
bob

Number of posts : 94
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : 74c Deepcut, Bordon,Detmold, Hohne, Osnabruck, Soest
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime18/12/2009, 21:34

If I remember right , 5th Skins were still in Osnabruck in 1983 when I arrived .
They were replaced by 4 RTR.

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 98
Cap Badge : OX2 9BU
Places Served : B.A.O.R. Uk. Aden. Libya. +
Registration date : 2010-01-12

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 21:22

I joined "The Skins" from J/ldrs RAC(Bovi) in Dec 1957.They were then at Atholone Bks.Sennelager.In 1962/3 we went back to the UK.Aliwal Bks Tidworth.From there The Regt went to Aden etc.etc.

I am John Walker.I live in Oxford. I serve on The Regt Committee and also on The Cav Parade committee.Also am the sect of Oxford Branch RDG Assc. also help run The Skins branch here in Oxford.Am also part of the team who see our brave men home on the Repat parades here in Oxford We are getting far to many of these men coming though!!! I should like to hear from anyone on here who served in or along us.I see we already have Norman Hall on here.I know Norman.
Hi Norman hope your well.

Hope to hear from some former Skins soon.If your not already on our new webb site(RDG) I will give you all the info.Its a great site lots of us oldies on there Very Happy Just to add as a child I was in BAOR from Nov 1946 untill summer of 1954 .My father was R.Es We were the first married family to go to BAOR (as a family.that was my three sisters and I and of course my mother) We arrived in Beilefeld.there for 4 yrs then on to BAOR 1(Bad Onyehasen) then on to Hameln. also went to King Alfred School.Plon.Loved every min of it,I mean the whole time we were there.
Regards to you all.
John. Smile

Donovans likes this post

Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 22:13

Johnwalker wrote:
......... .If your not already on our new webb site(RDG) I will give you all the info.......

John,

Send me the web address by PM or e-mail, and I will put it on the Links page.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime13/1/2010, 10:02

Paul..Please find the info you asked for ref RDG site below..I have been looking in on this BAOR site for a good while now.It really is so good.I know a lot of my Army buddies do to.I decide just yesterday that I would give it a go!!!.I will tell my buddies to move on too.
Thanks.Regards John.

http://rdg.forums-free.com/
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime13/1/2010, 13:29

Johnwalker wrote:
Paul..Please find the info you asked for ref RDG site below..I have been looking in on this BAOR site for a good while now.It really is so good.I know a lot of my Army buddies do to.I decide just yesterday that I would give it a go!!!.I will tell my buddies to move on too.
Thanks.Regards John.

http://rdg.forums-free.com/

John,

The RDG's are now on the "Links" page of the main site. I have put on the Museum and Association webb address as the Forum is easy enough to reach from there.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime13/1/2010, 16:43

Paul. I Roger that.
Many thanks.
John.
Back to top Go down
arbor
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime13/1/2010, 21:04

John I had many good friends in the "Skins" one in particular was Sgt "Jack " Warner an ex Desert Rat who rejoined after the War and was in the tech stores under James Bertrand, I knew Jack when I was a boy. a Great guy in every way
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 10:19

arbor...Thanks so much for that.I knew Jim Bertrand well(great man).You never said what Regt you were? ref Jack Warner befor my time I think.However thanks again.We do have an inter Sqd Football Comp (Jack Warner Cup) could that all tie in??This is still running today(under The RDG of course)
All the best.John.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 20:33

My father in law was Cpl Dougie Thorpe, in 1973 I think he was wih C sqn. His troop leader at the time was Patrick Cordingley.now retired (as Major General). Sadly Dougie died a few years ago, he had a brother also in the unit..Ivan!
Back to top Go down
Johnwalker
WOII
WOII

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime14/1/2010, 21:19

Hi.REME..Just spoke to you on another thread.I now know who you mean Dougie not sure about Ivan! 1973 was after my time .Went onto other things then.I of course remember M/Gen Pat Cordingley.He became C.O. of The Skins in 1984.Went onto become our Col in Chief of The Regt.I sat on the same committee for a while but has since retired.Im still on it(The Regt Association) as long as they will still have me!!Very sorry to hear about Dougie.May he R.I.P.
John.
Back to top Go down
BEANOL
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime21/5/2013, 01:45

Johnwalker wrote:
arbor...Thanks so much for that.I knew Jim Bertrand well(great man).You never said what Regt you were? ref Jack Warner befor my time I think.However thanks again.We do have an inter Sqd Football Comp (Jack Warner Cup) could that all tie in??This is still running today(under The RDG of course)
All the best.John.

I started my training as an early regular with the 'skins' in Feb 56 and Jack Warner was the first person I saw when I entered the billet which was almost covered with snow, as you say he was a really nice bloke and always ready to help the trainees.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime12/11/2017, 13:35

1992 Barker Barracks Paderborn Amalgamation Parade 4/7 and 5 Skins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlx30spAc98
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime21/1/2021, 18:52

5 INNIS DG getting into the action a Sennelager 10 Aug 1949

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/21465

111ADC7693Signal CorpsSOURCE: AFCF (ESPC 52-49)FILM: ARCH & APC MP 675' ea Silent
ADC 7693WESTERN UNION REVIEW (BRITISH ARMY OF MINE, BRITISH AIR FORCES OFOCCUPATION AND ALLIED CONTINGENTS)Sennelager (Paderborn), Germany released 8 Oct 1949
VS, tanks of the British 5th Royal Inskilling Dragoon Guards moving off dirt roadand across field on way to assembly point.
FS, US light tank crossing field. American light tank coming toward camera and stopping.
CU guidon on tank "14th Constabulary".M-24 tank crossing ditch.
MLSs, MSs, kilted Black Watch troops (British) marching toward and to 1 of camera.
MS, same as above, marching toward and to right of camera.
VS, drummers of combined bands, beating drums, followed by other instrumentalists.
LS, MLS, Black Watch bagpipe band.
MLS, Lt Gen John K Cannon (CG, USAFE) in jeep prior to trooping the line.
LS, r to 1 Black Watch troops.Cutins, spectators.
HSs, pans, tanks of the 14th Armored Cav (Constabulary) in review.
HSs, pans, unidentified Allied armored vehicles on parade.
RG 111Accession III-NAV-210
ARMY PICTORIAL CENTER, 35-11 35th AVE, LIC 1, N
Back to top Go down
AlienFTM
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 61
Cap Badge : 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars
Places Served : NI, Tidworth, UNFICYP, BAOR, Worthy Down
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime27/7/2022, 07:37

bob wrote:
If I remember right , 5th Skins were still in Osnabruck in 1983 when I arrived .
They were replaced by 4 RTR.
I transferred from 15/19H, Paderborn to RAPC in 82. First posting to Mercer/Imphal, quarter just down the hill from the Skins, next door neighbour was a Skin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arrse.co.uk
Donovans
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2024-02-22

PostSubject: Peter Donovan   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50

Anyone know Peter Donovan - Royal Armoured Corps - possibly at Athlone Barracks 1959/60?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards   5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Page 1 of 1