BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 75 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 75 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RAF Stations in BAOR

Go down 
+7
brin
bucketsfull
BobG
alan8376
JAL
Nasha
Paul
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

RAF Stations in BAOR Empty
PostSubject: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime4/12/2008, 00:20

After a message from Len Nash re RAF Eindhoven, I have discovered another, previously unknown to me, RAF Station - RAF Borgentreich.

Apparently, this station was near Kassel. Does anyone know anything about this station?

Are there other unknown RAF Stations that were in Germany at various times? I know that they were possibly not "Flying" stations, but were still vital to BAOR, but where were they?

Over to you!!!

Paul.

Last edited by Paul on 4/12/2008, 00:22; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrections and extra detail.)
Back to top Go down
Nasha
LCpl
LCpl
Nasha

Number of posts : 8
Places Served : Cardington Weeton Stoke Heath Bicester Eindhoven Abingdon
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime5/12/2008, 00:22

How about RAF Bad Eilsen? I will get in touch with the chairman of the Association and let him know about this site.

Wasn't there a station at Rinteln too or did it all come under RAF Buckeburg? I don't remember.

..............Les Nash (RAF Eindhoven Association)[/img]
Back to top Go down
http://www.rafeindhoven.co.uk/
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime5/12/2008, 10:04

Nasha wrote:
How about RAF Bad Eilsen? I will get in touch with the chairman of the Association and let him know about this site.

Wasn't there a station at Rinteln too or did it all come under RAF Buckeburg? I don't remember.

..............Les Nash (RAF Eindhoven Association)[/img]

Les,

Bad Eilsen is mentioned on the locations page, I will put it onto the RAF Bases page in the near future.

Could RAF Rinteln have been the forerunner of BMH Rinteln?

http://www.qaranc.co.uk/bmhrinteln.php

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: BMH Rinteln   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime12/12/2008, 10:43

Information received from JPW states that "BMH Rinteln was originally under RAF command but transferred to the army when JHQ Rheindahlen opened and nearby RAF Hospital Wegberg opened in 1953/4"

Thank you JPW.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime15/12/2008, 23:21

Paul wrote:
Information received from JPW states that "BMH Rinteln was originally under RAF command but transferred to the army when JHQ Rheindahlen opened and nearby RAF Hospital Wegberg opened in 1953/4"

Thank you JPW.

Further to the message quoted above, JPW also supplied me with information regarding RAF Stations in BAOR. Quite a few are not listed on the site and it will be interesting to see if listing them creates any reaction.

But before I start listing them with any details I can find, are there any "RAF types" out there who remember stations not already mentioned?

Let's be having their names if you do gentlemen.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: RAF Jever and RAF Hustedt   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime13/1/2009, 12:31

Anybody out there with memories, information, photographs of these two bases?

I know that Jever is near the north coast, north west of Wilhelmshaven, but there are three possible locations for Hustedt - near Celle (which I favour), south east of Bremen, and south south west of Bremen.

Any ideas anyone?

Paul.
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 68
Cap Badge : RASC & RAOC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Minden, Mannheim/Seckenheim
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime13/1/2009, 23:36

Paul wrote:

I know that Jever is near the north coast, north west of Wilhelmshaven, but there are three possible locations for Hustedt - near Celle (which I favour), south east of Bremen, and south south west of Bremen.

Any ideas anyone?

Paul.

Paul, I remember Jever vaguely from my time at PRS Wilhelmshaven. We used to have CCF training/camps there. There is website that has load of info and pics on RAF Jever:
http://www.rafjever.org/index.htm
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime14/1/2009, 10:11

JAL wrote:
Paul wrote:

Any ideas anyone?

Paul.

Paul, I remember Jever vaguely from my time at PRS Wilhelmshaven. We used to have CCF training/camps there. There is website that has load of info and pics on RAF Jever:
http://www.rafjever.org/index.htm

Thanks for that JAL. I had seen it before, but I will take a closer look at it now that you have reminded me about it. It may make mention of Hustedt, which I am more interested in.

Looking at the notes on the main site page makes me more inclined to think that the Hustedt near Celle would have been the most likely candidate. As it says:-

"Because of the rapid expansion of the "Training Programme" and increase in the size of the aircraft, external landing strips were built at Hustedt and Scheuen"...

Looking at Google Earth and Google Maps, the two locations are close together. Schuen looks to have become Ironside Barracks, but looking around the Hustedt area, I can see no sign of any airfield or airstrip existing, disused, or built up.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: RAF in Germany   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime18/10/2009, 18:00

On taking up some of my searches again, I have discovered that just prior to and immediately following the end of WW2 in Europe, that there were about 30 airfields/airstrips used by the RAF in Germany.

Some of them were only used for a very short time (a matter of a day or two), whilst others became bases for the RAF in Germany. I will be listing them shortly, and would appreciate information (if there is any) from anyone who may know of these bases.

As usual, corrections will also be most welcome. They will be listed on the main site in the next couple of days, and I will show here when it has been done.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime19/10/2009, 10:24

Further to my post yesterday regarding airfields/locations used by the RAF and Allied airforces prior to and at the end of WW2, I have found the following possible sites.

As I said, some of these may only have been used for a very short time, either in the advances, or as stop-overs for squadrons being withdrawn. Some may also have changed names on occupation, or may not have been known as fully fledged RAF bases. The list shows those that are not already listed, either on the Forum, or on the main site, all were in Germany.

Achmer
Dedelstorf
Drope
Grossachensheim (Gross Sachsenheim)
Flensburg
Hildesheim
Hopsten
Langenhagen
Luneberg
Quackenbruck
Rheine
Stuttgart/Sersheim
Varrelsbusch

Paul.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 734
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime19/10/2009, 11:30

Paul,

The photo of Hildesheim Airstrip from recent years, titled Boeker was taken by my German in Law. It was taken in recent years. I will ask him for the date!

I doubt if he has any old photos. I will ask him to ask the 'locals' for anything.

Regards
Alan
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime19/10/2009, 12:29

alan8376 wrote:
Paul,

The photo of Hildesheim Airstrip from recent years, titled Boeker was taken by my German in Law. It was taken in recent years. I will ask him for the date!

I doubt if he has any old photos. I will ask him to ask the 'locals' for anything.

Regards
Alan

Much appreciated, Alan, thank you.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime19/10/2009, 17:17

LANGENHAGEN

Langenhagen Barracks were located just south of the autobahn exit of the same name, there was no airstrip there.

I suspect the RAF may have used the airfield north of the autobahn now known as Hannover Airport or Hannover Langenhagen.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime19/10/2009, 21:56

BobG wrote:
LANGENHAGEN

Langenhagen Barracks were located just south of the autobahn exit of the same name, there was no airstrip there.

I suspect the RAF may have used the airfield north of the autobahn now known as Hannover Airport or Hannover Langenhagen.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that is good to know.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: RAF Goch   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime6/12/2009, 13:27

Goch is a small town in NRW close to the Dutch border, and apparently had an RAF Base there for a time.

I have looked around maps but cannot seem to place it. does anyone know where this base mat have been? Could it have been further south at Weeze?

Paul.
Back to top Go down
bucketsfull
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime7/12/2009, 01:18

Some extra RAF camps
RAF Sylt on the Island of Sylt
RAF Gatow Berlin
Raf Munchen Gladbach HQ
RAF Oldenburg
RAF Jever
RAF Brockzetel Chain radar also SOC
RAF Bruggen
RAF Butzweilerhof Cologne
HQ RAF Rheindalen

Not all RAF Bases were flying, some Admin, some special services
etc
Back to top Go down
bucketsfull
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime7/12/2009, 01:31

Paul, Scheuen and Hustede were sattelite strips for RAF Celle
See the article on "Forces Geanology" type in RAF Celle ok
Back to top Go down
brin
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Places Served : dyce, kirkwall,borgentreich
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime20/12/2009, 17:33

hi paul, i am a new member to this site, i see you are making enquiries about borgentreich, i was stationed there 1956/1958, it was a signals unit just outside warburg, it was known as 210 signals unit, if you go on the raf jever site and read what flt lt sennar says as he moved from jever to borgentreich, as a signals officer, hope this info is what you are looking for,

brian
Back to top Go down
brian beckett
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 55
Cap Badge : rasc
Places Served : Tower of London(initially in Royal Fusiliers) Aldershot, Sennelager & RAF Bruggen
Registration date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime7/4/2010, 13:43

RAF Goch was a TOC, Tactical Operations Centre, which like
RAF Sundern (nr Gutosloh) was closed down in 1958/59.
Back to top Go down
Histryman
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : Royal Air Force
Places Served : Cosford, Biggin Hill, Uxbridge, RAF Germany, Compton Bassett, Gaydon, Malta,Upavon.
Registration date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime17/1/2011, 00:05

Paul wrote:
Goch is a small town in NRW close to the Dutch border, and apparently had an RAF Base there for a time.

I have looked around maps but cannot seem to place it. does anyone know where this base mat have been? Could it have been further south at Weeze?

Paul.
Very Happy. I was a Senior Aircraftsman stationed at RAF Goch in the early 1960's. we operated a mobile Radio Relay Station there where confidential & secret teleprinter communications were sent over the airwaves rather than using the local landline system. I celebrated my 21st birthday in Goch as a single man although I was so inebriated I dont remember a lot about it. I remember the RAF station as being within easy walking distance of the railway station, from where a train to Nijmegen in Holland was a popular trip with UK servicemen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime17/1/2011, 09:44

Welcome Histryman

Quote :
we operated a mobile Radio Relay Station there where confidential & secret teleprinter communications were sent over the airwaves

I`m rather interested in this
What type of kit were you using then,?
Back to top Go down
Histryman
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Cap Badge : Royal Air Force
Places Served : Cosford, Biggin Hill, Uxbridge, RAF Germany, Compton Bassett, Gaydon, Malta,Upavon.
Registration date : 2011-01-16

PostSubject: RAF Goch.   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime17/1/2011, 23:42

brian beckett wrote:

Sorry to contradict, but RAF Goch was still up & running when I was posted back from there to the UK in early 1961.
Back to top Go down
brian beckett
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 55
Cap Badge : rasc
Places Served : Tower of London(initially in Royal Fusiliers) Aldershot, Sennelager & RAF Bruggen
Registration date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime20/1/2011, 09:52

Histryman wrote:
brian beckett wrote:

Sorry to contradict, but RAF Goch was still up & running when I was posted back from there to the UK in early 1961.

If you were there you must be right.
Back to top Go down
corgibach
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-12

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime12/7/2011, 10:46

Hi Paul, I'm new to this site, looking for RAF mates from RAF Butzweilerhof 1962 -1965, not any mention of RAF Butz in posts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime12/7/2011, 11:32

Welcome aboard.Not RAF myself but did serve RAF changi for almost 3 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAF Stations in BAOR   RAF Stations in BAOR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAF Stations in BAOR
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next