BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 50 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 49 Guests :: 2 Bots

steve

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Winterberg Leave Centre

Go down 
+6
Shelldrake
Brian Roberts
Mike_2817
Paul
donald
recce83
10 posters
AuthorMessage
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

Winterberg Leave Centre Empty
PostSubject: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime9/6/2009, 23:59

Does anyone remember when the Winterberg Leave Centre closed down and who took it over? It was a beautiful location in the Saurland where I imagine the skiing was great although I was never there in winter. Last time I was there was probably in 1959. I suspect it ceased to be a BAOR leave centre in the early 60s.
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime10/6/2009, 16:05

As i remember it was still going well into the '60s.I used to ask for volunteers to go to Winterberg,and when not enough was forthcoming then some were "detailed".But on return all agreed they had a great time,and when could they go again!Next time I'm in that area I'll have a decko and come back to you!
-----
Don
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime10/6/2009, 19:47

You had to press-gang people into going to a leave centre? My God, you Royals must have been a tough bunch to deal with!

Thanks for the info Don. It will be interesting to see if we can generate more stories.

Rod
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime1/10/2009, 13:18

As far as I can see, Winterberg was still in operation in July 1962.

If you look at the webpage shown below it gives details of Winterberg (item 72)

The rest makes interesting reading as well. Look at the name of the Minister (for those old enough to remember)

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1962/jul/04/baor

Paul.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime1/10/2009, 17:35

Yes, it does make interesting reading. However I don't see any mention of Christine Keeler being available for optional recreation.

Rod
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime2/10/2009, 21:28

The RAOC had its own Holiday Lodge at Sonthofen and it was always fully booked for Exercise SNOW QUEEN between 1 Dec till 31 Mar for BAOR Unit Adventure Training and for Family and Corps Groups for R&R between 1 Apr till 30 Nov. We also held a 2 week Christmas & Easter Family Ski breaks as well.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime29/10/2009, 00:53

I see that, according to the web site Paul recently linked that there was a secret (?) RAF station there as well. It's a sad day when you don't learn something. From reading the stories I gather it was some sort of listening post, something like the the one at Putlos.
Back to top Go down
Brian Roberts
Sgt
Sgt
Brian Roberts

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : RAMC
Places Served : BAOR, Norway NI Belize ,Malaya, Hong kong ,BOBC Norway, Nuneton , Taunton , Woolwich ,Tidworth,, Worthy Down, Aldershot
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime29/10/2010, 19:33

I have just returned from Wintterburg (Aug) the rest centre is now the joint services winter training centre run bybthe Bundesservices, with one British Army liason WO1, they cover xcountry down hill ski-ing bob slay running 2 and 4 man teams, most of it now is single person rooms. There is a large caravan site at the side with a lot of English owned caravans that are there as static sites my daughter has one of them.
the area of Winter burg is now a lot different with a large cyclecross area and mountain bike trails,which in winter become the X/C ski runs.
If any one can give me the instructions to upload photos on the site I will send some

Brian
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime30/10/2010, 18:17

recce83 wrote:
Yes, it does make interesting reading. However I don't see any mention of Christine Keeler being available for optional recreation.

Rod

Officers only!!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime30/10/2010, 21:37

Catching up on my recorded stuff, last night I watched a programme about 617 Sqn and
The Dams Raid.

There were shots of The Moehne and Sorpe dams as they are today. A lovely part of the Sauerland that used to be "on our doorstep".

Made me quite nostalgic. One our regt's ex-members now lives near the Moehne dam, lucky bugger !

Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime30/10/2010, 22:24

The Moehne Dam was, by far, the more picturesque of the two....we lived not far from the Sorpesee at all, in a wee village called Mellen, not far from Balve. The Sorpesee was, literally, just over a couple of hills from us. Of course, later, we lived in Soest so of course spent many Sunday's strolling back and forth across the Moehne Dam like everyone else did back then.

I remember the Sauerland with considerable nostalgia. When we lived in a town called Beckum (there are two Beckums, by the way....one's a city the other a small town, almost a village, out along the Hoennetal. We lived in the latter, up on the hill above Sans Souci and the turn off to Balve) I could look out a small window in my parent's room that had a view down into the valley below and the often-mist enshrouded wooded hills of the Sauerland beyond and, even then, it made my heart ache knowing it wouldn't be long before I'd never see it all again.

brum....you say one of your regiment's exes lives near the Moehne dam....do you happen to know where? Delecke, perhaps?

The Sorpe dam was no where near as majestic as the one on the Moehne....a very low, rather nondescript almost like an earthen dam sort of thing. I much preferred the Moehne!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime1/11/2010, 10:33

It seems I was barking up the wrong tree Stephen. I've been in touch with the bloke who I thought lived near the dam but actually he lives in Post Str. Hemer.
(He sent me two present-day photos of the town, neither of which I recognise of course. Horror of horrors, smack in the middle of one of them is a Mc Donald's, is nothing sacred ?)

brum
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime1/11/2010, 13:15

We visited the Moehne dam a few times, it was a lovely and interesting area.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: s   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 18:59

brum wrote:

It seems I was barking up the wrong tree Stephen. I've been in touch with the bloke who I thought lived near the dam but actually he lives in Post Str. Hemer.
(He sent me two present-day photos of the town, neither of which I recognise of course. Horror of horrors, smack in the middle of one of them is a Mc Donald's, is nothing sacred ?)

brum

Ehehehe...given the rivalry between Hemer brats and Soest brats, such an error borders on capital offence, brum!!!!

I come across present-day shots of Hemer, Iserlohn on Flikr quite often and have a helluva time trying to "locate" them in my mental memory map....shots of the old Married Quarters, easy. Shots of Hemer or Iserlohn themselves, a bit problematic. Soest, it appears, hasn't changed much, really, although I am sure some of the suburbs have....certainly what were once farmer's fields back in the day are now covered with houses and blocks of flats, but I can usually orient myself somewhat. However, I also knew Soest better than Hemer, having lived in PMQs there but only going into Hemer for school and the odd teen dance. And then when I lived in Iserlohn and would moped into Hemer to hang out with my British mates, our drinking hole was out in Stephanopel (Katz') and we never went into Hemer proper, for some odd reason.

BTW, you should post those photos your buddy sent you....perhaps someone here can be of assistance in pinpointing where they are.

And, yeah, I'd heard a McDonald's went up.....actually, one of my contacts on Flikr mentioned that a McD's was going in a location she had posted a pic of....down the end of Zeppelin Strasse on that main road leading into Hemer downtown in one direction and, ultimately, into Iserlohn in the other.
Back to top Go down
graham wright
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 114
Cap Badge : naafi and efi/raoc
Places Served : baor, sardinia, saudi, benbecula and colly
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 19:46

ah the mohne and sorpe,two great walking places,lucky enough to have lived in both hemer and soest.where stephen lived in balve was outstanding and the mohne was where i saw my first topless bathers(female).when i first lived in hemer i stayed at the WESTIGER HOF for the first 18 months and the owner was a great bloke called ziggy he later move to the sorpe and then on to the margeretensee,another great place for walking. ....graham...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winterberg Leave Centre   Winterberg Leave Centre Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winterberg Leave Centre
Page 1 of 1