BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» New website britisharmyingermany.com
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 22 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 2 Bots

brian beckett

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

catering corps

Go down 
+18
Teabag
Shelldrake
"john boy"
whitehorse660
TonyE
recce83
brian beckett
brum
alan8376
dandc
Stephen Lock
ciphers
Hardrations
Mike_2817
jim
JPW
hammy
blueray53
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

catering corps - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 20:49

Not me Guv

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 21:43

Back in the early 70's there was still a regimental cook in the Coldstreams Guards. Gillie, had the knack ,especially on exercise, of turning out great meals. He made a pie that was loved by all.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/8/2010, 08:58

There is nothing substantive on the web regarding the phasing out of Regimental cooks but Gallahad's remarks about the Coldstream Guards confirm my thoughts that the final changeover begain in the mid 60s and that former Regimental Cooks on transfer to the ACC had reserved rights if they wished to stay with their former units. Certainly Gillie or another member of the Coldstreams team was a legend throughout the entire Loddenheide complex (I was based in Waterloo Barracks at the time

Another such individual was the Welsh Guards Serjeants Mess chef who was most reluctant to let anyone else in HIS kitchen and had to be ordered to go on leave from time to time

I too have known some superb ACC cooks bothe regular and TA , we are all human, there was the odd bad un but it was amazing what a few words of thanks would do (think about the hours many of them put in providing hot food with often very basic facilities round the clock on exercises as back up to crew cooking)L
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/8/2010, 09:35

Oh I think the ACC were fine on the whole, it was Regimental cooks I was on about. I do remember eating 'tatties and mince one lunch time on Ex with some Highlanders though. Smile
Back to top Go down
brian beckett
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 55
Cap Badge : rasc
Places Served : Tower of London(initially in Royal Fusiliers) Aldershot, Sennelager & RAF Bruggen
Registration date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/8/2010, 12:20

alan8376 wrote:
There are always good ones and bad ones in all trades in the Army. The trouble is the ACC were always on 'test'!

No one can remember the rubbish Clericals or Regimental role or maybe the Reme Fitters who bodged your transport.

When was the last time you Quality Controlled day in and out a persons work. Because thats what we do when eating our food!

Your are right in what you say. In my days of National Service I could never understand why anyone would want to be in the ACC. It was virtually impossible for them ever to satisfy such an ungracious mob.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 13:48

Was speaking to my brother last night who is ex ACC and TAWO Catering Support Regt (v) RLC at Grantham

He says the Brigade of Guards were the last regiments to have Regimentaly Cap Badged Cooks up to around 1975 but they were still trained and upgraded etc by the Army School of Catering at Aldershot so were [supposed] to be to the same standard as a B3, B2 or B1 Cook ACC.

The idea of 'Regimental Cooks' still persisted in the TA becouse they joined the local TA unit, and were then mustered into a support roll such as AGC Clerk, REME Fitter or ACC Chef and dislike wearing the Corps Cap Badges other than when on courses (or so I am told) today the act of rebellion is normally restricted to the wearing of the Regimental TRF.

Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 14:36

Must admit that I saw some strange idea's of food preperation in my time. These were quickly stamped out before they became habit. Examples are were, " Cooking steaks 2 hours before meal time so as to save time on clean up and cooking to order", that was jumped on from great heights. Another was to heat up vegatables on the steam table. But generaly most people I worked with took pride in their food prep. and presentation. There will always be some one who thinks they can short cut food prep. When I pensioned off I was approached on my last month of re-hab leave and asked to stay in. So I must have been doing something right. Felt good to be asked, but still I enjoyed being a civilian.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/8/2010, 18:38

Just as a matter of interest, here in Peachland BC we have a pub-style restaurant named "The Two Chefs" run by a married couple who are ex-ACC. He was last posted to an RA regiment in Lippstadt (can't remember the specifics). Don't know where he met his wife, but it was during their army time.

Anyway, the menu and quality are excellent. The beer's good as well. If you get up this way, don't miss it.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 13:08

I posted this on the RAOC Forum, but no one seems to know the answer. I recall as a very young child going with my Mum to the cookhouse and her drawing rations for us. This would have been in Berlin I think. Does any one know if that's true?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 13:54

Don`t know if true or not but sounds feasable if it was during the blockade.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 14:51

Hmmm, That was '48 - '49 Gordon, I think I must have been about 3 so we're looking '51 or '52 I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 15:28

Not as old as i thought then lol
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 16:17

it might well be you remember quite well,dont forget rationing in britain offfically ended in 1955.
Back to top Go down
TonyE
WOI
WOI
TonyE

Number of posts : 112
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 17:53

Being a butcher in Composite Pln I had no work unless on exercise,so was employed in the Married Families Ration Store.This was in Bielefeld 51-52,we drew the rations from 85 Su-ply Depot I think three times a week,broke them down according to family size and delivered them to the front door.This was only for Catterick Barracks people.
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 19:03

jim wrote:
I posted this on the RAOC Forum, but no one seems to know the answer. I recall as a very young child going with my Mum to the cookhouse and her drawing rations for us. This would have been in Berlin I think. Does any one know if that's true?
Jim, I Don't know the answer to that one,but it does sound feasible. I was in Berlin 1976-1978 and we submitted weekly food orders (FRIS), I believe it was called. These orders were delivered to the door. Maybe an improvement to the system?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 21:46

While at SEME one wintry morning there was a power cut at Havannah Bks, and the Cooks were serving by dim torch lights. The power was soon restored and a few bugs were seen among the food. A witty spark, shouted,......"for f*** sake Sarge, turn the lights back off again."
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/8/2010, 13:58

AH, Thank you guys, I didn't mis remember it then. We lived on the Barracks so maybe that's why we collected it ourselves. Very Happy

LOL, why do I feel so happy now.
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/8/2010, 18:30

Jim, I have spoken to the Oracle,(The Wife), she seems to think that there were three delivery days a week if needed. Everything from meat to bread and dairy products. The best value she ever saw.
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
catering corps - Page 2 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime19/1/2011, 18:09

hi my name is john moore
served acc 80-82 anyone out there remember doing a bbq for variety club at chessington zoo while we were still in basic back in 81 lot of screaming kids that day as i remember
HAPPY DAYS
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/1/2011, 10:03

Hi John and welcome mate. Smile
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/1/2011, 14:44

thanks for the welcome Jim
they were good days and some bad days back then but they were proud days, learnt a lot to
still cooking 29 yrs on
cant beat the Andy Cap Commandos
john bounce
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/1/2011, 14:31

anyone out there know why an egg buttie is known as an EGG BANJO? my old mum has always called them that ever since i can remember
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/1/2011, 16:06

Jonathon, I was once told that the Egg sarnie was called an Egg Banjo because, on taking the first bite you held in at the sides with both hands to control the flow off egg yolk but, almost invariably, the yolk ran out the back of the said sarnie and down the front of whatever you were wearing so, you held the sarnie in the air, parallel with your shoulder and brushed the offending mess from your front, in a strumming motion - hence the Egg Banjo. If anyone out there is ever on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" and is looking for a 'phone a friend, give me a ring - I am full of useless information!
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/1/2011, 16:27

Shelldrake wrote:
Jonathon, I was once told that the Egg sarnie was called an Egg Banjo because, on taking the first bite you held in at the sides with both hands to control the flow off egg yolk but, almost invariably, the yolk ran out the back of the said sarnie and down the front of whatever you were wearing so, you held the sarnie in the air, parallel with your shoulder and brushed the offending mess from your front, in a strumming motion - hence the Egg Banjo. If anyone out there is ever on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" and is looking for a 'phone a friend, give me a ring - I am full of useless information!

Quite agree. Someone once called a bacon butty a bacon banjo. Not so said Mr Know it all me.

I remember being on my trade training course at Catterick and our course were stuck into the back of a four tonner, taken off into the woods somewhere at the back of Vimy lines. Our job was to eat the food that the cooks had prepared in the field for some kind of competition.

I remember lots of brass there sampling a bit here and a bit there and giving out marks. There was a whole three course meal prepared on No 1 Burners and it was delicious.

Best cookhouse. sorry restaurant, RAF Wildenrath in my humble.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/1/2011, 17:22

Aye,,The RAF were a cut above when it came to food. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: catering corps   catering corps - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

catering corps
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next