BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 72 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 72 Guests :: 3 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Camouflage Combat suit-DPM

Go down 
+17
oldtimer
Rocky
mjm34
brum
jim
TaffyS
ciphers
Mike_2817
Big_Mike
Stephen Lock
Hardrations
Dodger
Teabag
Paul
whitehorse660
alan8376
colin
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 10:49

Green Combats were known as 1960 Pattern, and the first DPM Combats with the 1960 type stiched collar were introduced in 1968 changing to the stand up mandarin type collar in 1972 to cut costs for general issue. The style of the DPM itself changed more than once over it 40+ years use as well.

Re 'Active Edge' and spare kit. I think it was fairly common to have a set of extra gear to keep your Mob Kit packed, and to have a good set of combats & best boots not used on a daily basis, at least it was in most units I served in! and being RAOC did not automatically mean that our QM's were more generous either, the opposite mainly applied.

I also had a set of 58 Pattern Skeleton Order, so I did not need to strip down my pouches for range days & training as well (Good old Army Surplus Stores)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/2/2010, 18:29

There was an item of camouflage apparel that predated general issue DPM. It was the Denison Smock.

It had its roots in WW2 when it was originally issued to airborne and SOE units etc. They were three colour cam rather than the four of DPM with knitted cuffs and with that strange flap thing that could be fastened between the legs to stop it riding up on jumps.

I think that they were issue up until DPM para smocks etc. became the standard kit. Those who could get away with it (i.e. officers and royalty) continued wearing them long after DPM became standard issue.

They were pretty voluminous as they were designed to be worn over BD.

Apparently, you can still get them privately made to the original spec. by the original supplier. I know that Du Bora in Aldershot sold them. Probably still do.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/2/2010, 19:07

Yes, the original Other Ranks issue had a half zip and you had to put it on like an anorak! Officers had theirs tailored to full zip, later they all were issued as full zip. The material was a lot thicker than the DPM smock which retained the knitted cuffs and crutch flap.

Still wore one to/from work till around 1975 on my bike but not on exersize where the badge was on the lookout for them LoL
Still have it, complete with its RAOC Red/Blue/Red DZ Flashes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/2/2010, 21:41

Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/2/2010, 23:26

Err NONE for me. I keep mine as its part of my overall RAOC insignia collection, its original and not a copy! as is my later DPM Smock with Red/Black Logistic DZ Flash which is still worn by the RLC today.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/2/2010, 17:58

Combat Kid

Speaking of Combat's .. here is one from 1953 in Korea .. notice the wonderful mixture of clothing I'm wearing .. Ammo Boots, 37 style web gaiters, Jungle Green trousers and Combat Jacket .. even my tapes were pre 'brassard issue' ... an RSM's dream come true.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
TaffyS
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 29
Cap Badge : Army Air Corps
Places Served : JTR Rhyl, Devizes, Lurgan, RAF Aldergrove x2, Topcliffe x 2 Bielefeld, Lubbecke, Munster, Middle Wallop, Hildesheim, RAF Wildenwrath
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime14/6/2010, 22:50

I got my first issue of DPM in 1972 at JTR Rhyl before we graduated to the grown up world, when i arrived at 10 Ord Sp Bn in devizes, i was given guard duty and i turned up on parade for guard dressed in it, and the Orderly Officer nearly had a fit, as i was the only man in the Bn who had it, i had to explain my second set of combats were the same and where i had it issued, he wanted to charge me for being improperly dressed, until the RSM walked past and had a quiet word in his ear, then it was all forgotten.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 09:14

I wore the normal OG's in Basic in '72, I don't think I got issued my first DPM until about '73 in 20 Bde.

I was just remebering those silly pull through buttons on the old OG, with the brass clip things at the back to keep them in.

Oh and slightly off topic, the first number 2 shirts I got issued had separate collars.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 10:06

jim wrote:
I wore the normal OG's in Basic in '72, I don't think I got issued my first DPM until about '73 in 20 Bde.

I was just remebering those silly pull through buttons on the old OG, with the brass clip things at the back to keep them in.

Oh and slightly off topic, the first number 2 shirts I got issued had separate collars.

I did basic in 72 and was issued with them then. Might have run out of your size Jim. I also had shirts with separate collars. Pain in the bum with those daft studs. Was made up when they came with attached collars.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 13:04

TaffyS, My first RAOC posting was 16 Batt at Bicester and we wore No2 Dress and Best Boots for Guard Duty, but changed over to Combats in 1971 (but still best boots) I seem to remember.

Deepcut was still issuing Green Combats, but the lads being posted in from Field Force units in Germany had DPM Combats, and we would get a mix of both each night. The old SNCO's doing Orderly Sergeant in No2's did not like them and would go out of thier way to pick fault with them, untill Bicester QM's started to get them around mid 1972 [The Depot next door was full of the damn things as well a Green Combats and BATTLE DRESS I may add] and 46 (Shadow) Company, a reserve Field Force Company made up of soldiers who worked in the depot, were the first to be issued them, yet we still had 37 Webbing [who says the RAOC got all the kit?] til later the same year when a deal was struck with returned stores to make up 100 sets.

I left Bicester in 1973 with 2 sets of Green Combats and a set of DPM as well, and 3 BAPD in Germany issued a extra set of Green Combats and Brown Leather Jerkin as winter working uniform for those working outside.

It was not untill 1975/76 that I started to see DPM in general wear in RAOC non Field Force units.

Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 13:13

I've seen those leather jerkins Mike, and what about those enormous Parka's
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 14:25

Leather Jerkins GOOD !

Parkas HEAP GOOD !!
Back to top Go down
mjm34
Maj
Maj
mjm34

Number of posts : 262
Cap Badge : R.Signals
Places Served : BAOR, UK, Mid East, Far East, Cent America
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 14:37

Teabag wrote:
jim wrote:

I did basic in 72 and was issued with them then. Might have run out of your size Jim. I also had shirts with separate collars. Pain in the bum with those daft studs. Was made up when they came with attached collars.

I was originally issued 2 sets of grot green combats. Must have been '70 or '71 at 1 Div that I swapped them for DPM, but still had 37 pattern webbing, originally blancoed but blackened about the same time as the combats swap. Incidently we also got issued the green HD Pullovers at about the same time, prior to that all we had was the thin V-neck pullover.

Mike
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 15:33

I blackened my webbing in 20 Bde, we were told it was because we were an armoured Bde. Never wore it after 1 (BR) Corps though.
Back to top Go down
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 17:05

brum wrote:
Leather Jerkins GOOD !

Parkas HEAP GOOD !!

The old fish tail parka with the wire in the hood were like rocking horse s***! I had one for a while and it was brilliant on exercise.
Back to top Go down
oldtimer
WOII
WOII
oldtimer

Number of posts : 99
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Yeovil, Bunde, Lubbecke,camp du larzac, norway,rct winter training centre hinterstien, Aldershot,
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 17:51

Rocky wrote:
brum wrote:
Leather Jerkins GOOD !

Parkas HEAP GOOD !!

The old fish tail parka with the wire in the hood were like rocking horse s***! I had one for a while and it was brilliant on exercise.

shared a room with our RAOC guy so he always looked after me when i mentioned i was going up to the ski hut for a few weeks he issued me a parka had it for years used it for going fishing when i came out.

a rather cold and fed up driver in parka 1960s even gave me a hat with flaps.

Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Th_Photo13_4

paul.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 21:18

Those Leather Jerkins were really useful for VMs who had to lay under vehicles in the snow... Brrrrrrrrrrrr!
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 22:18

Anyone ever have one of those WW2 tank suits? I think that is what they were anyway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 23:09

Quote :
Parkas HEAP GOOD !!

On top of BD and greatcoat made guard duty nearly bearable..Didn`t do much to keep the feet warm tho`
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/6/2010, 23:26

I had a WW2 tank suit, used it for my motor bike in civvy street, one problem, when it snowed all those bloody zippers froze up.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 00:21

We those blanket lined cotton canvas Tank Suits at Combat Supplies Battlion for Eager Beavor Fork Lift Operators along with Leather Dispatch Riders Gloves.

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 03:37

I held on to my Great Coat until the day I was leaving the army. Always carried it on exercise.It was a blanket, pillow,and a windbreaker. The Recce Mechs had theirs shortened to the waist.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 09:16

Teabag wrote:
Anyone ever have one of those WW2 tank suits? I think that is what they were anyway?

I don't know about WW2, but the 432 drivers in 20 Bde all had them in the '70's.

I had a shortened one I inherited from my Dad Gallahad, I'm surprised no one ever picked me up on it.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 10:34

jim wrote:
Teabag wrote:

I don't know about WW2, but the 432 drivers in 20 Bde all had them in the '70's.

I had a shortened one I inherited from my Dad Gallahad, I'm surprised no one ever picked me up on it.

That's where I had mine Jim. Must have got a job lot at Detmold. Lots of zips but did a fair job when freezing in those 432's. Of course my problem being a short arse was that they were all made for six footers or so it appeared?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime16/6/2010, 11:17

I had one, I'm not sure what happened to it, maybe they took it off me when I left Detmold? You're right about the size though, luckily I'm 6' 1" so I was OK. LOL

When did you serve in Detmold? I was there from about '73 - '75 Teabag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camouflage Combat suit-DPM   Camouflage Combat suit-DPM - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Camouflage Combat suit-DPM
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: