BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 29 field ambulance
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime14/5/2024, 02:34 by Pborn4

» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime10/5/2024, 18:53 by AlienFTM

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime9/5/2024, 10:16 by SarahN

» Sennelager 1977
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!

Go down 
+37
jimsigs1
ciphers
dandc
BigJock
gingerjim
cartav
pinky
malaboman
Dolmetscher
whitehorse660
reg
"john boy"
BobG
jerry
Shelldrake
JPW
steve
sapper0938
JJ
Trish1303
brum
recce83
steve jones
Themaadone
Hardrations
mjm34
jim
TaffyS
Mike_2817
donald
Teabag
bob
Rocky
Stephen Lock
ChrisP
graham wright
alan8376
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime27/3/2011, 22:52

The one and only time i gave blood was on a summer camp at Eckernförde.Coffee, Cognac and sandwiches to order..

This site sure does bring back memories...sigh!!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 10:36

Quote :
Nobody has mentioned those German "open" sandwiches.

There used to be a pinkish caviar one that I particularly like

Hmmm, that has stirred something in my mind Brum, can't quite place it though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 11:32

Pink lint perhaps?
Back to top Go down
malaboman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Deepcut, Arborfield, Gosport,Osnabruck, Minden, Aden, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 14:02

Dolmetchers comments are reminding me I read in Parky, the autobiography of Michael Parkinson, that he also served in the Ashton under Lyne Pay Centre and did his National Service square bashing at Devizes.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 17:34

The Freiwilliger Feuerwehr was another excuse for a Booze Up, they arrived at your house, extinguished the fire, drank the contents of your Schrank, then disappeared back home. I applied to join but there was a waiting list! drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 17:45

Teabag wrote:
Eels of any description I could not eat. Yeuk! It's the thought of having pancakes for breakfast that is so sickening, not the fact that you put syrup on them Stephen. Full English however is another thing. Can't beat it! Never had Marmite in my life although have had bovril and oxo. Is there a difference?

Ahhhhh....well, I'm not a big breakfast eater to begin with and in fact usually skip it....coffee and a ciggie is enough for me until lunch! Now, to really turn you green my British friend....during Stampede Week (that'd be the week celebrating the annual Calgary Stampede, Greatest Show on Earth. World famous. Chuckwagon races, etc etc) there are 'Stampede breakfasts' all over the city, free. These breakfasts consist of massive amounts of pancakes, sausages ("bangers") and bacon being done up on huge grills, all smothered in syrup and butter. That sound you hear....no no, not the chorus of "Yahooooo!!!", but rather that dull sound? Yeah, that's the sound of arteries clogging all around you! ehehehehe

Yes, I've had full English...I do rather like fried tomatoes, I must say....

Bovril and Oxo are more liquid than Marmite....marmite is this deep brown paste stuff. Meaty flavour, as I recall....brrrrrr!!!
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 17:48

brum wrote:
Uhmmm...I think that is RONALD McDonald....Donald McDonald is likely his less-(in)famous brother

Razz
Razz [/quote]

Silly old me ! Rolling Eyes

Donald, of course, is the one with a little sailor's hat and wearing a jacket but no trousers.
(Funny that, gets out of the shower and wraps a towel around himself ! Suspect )[/quote]

Still getting it wrong....Yes, Donald and the sailor hat, jacket and no trousers but surname of "Duck" not "McDonald"....and I never could figure A) a duck showering and B) wrapping a towel around himself when he's bucknaked, except for feathers of course, from...well...it wouldn't be the waist down, would it? Laughing Ducks don't have waists, but they DO have down....oh, this is just getting silly..... tongue
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 17:53

recce83 wrote:
I remember a pub adjacent to the "back entrance" to the barracks in Sennelager run by a retired Major. His cutlets were the best I ever ran across in Germany, to say nothing of the accompanying kartoffelnsalat. I'm surprised no one has mentioned ox- tail soup or, better yet, goulash soup that went down so well "the day after".

I wonder if the Zum Baren is still in business? It was, or is, located somewhere between Menden and Hemer, but the years have erased it's exact location from my mental GPS. They too served game meat, and their roast wild boar was well known and applauded.

I'm afraid I couldn't handle the bean soup with the great bockwurst floating in the middle of the bowl. (Old joke: "You say that's called a phallic symbol? I'd hate to tell you what it looks like!) Ditto for eels of any description or those pork chops encased in aspic. But on the whole I love German food and rejoice that there are so many places to get it near home. But I would give up my unattained (and totally undeserved) rank of WO 1 to be back there.

Happy days!

You're right....how could one forget ox-tail soup!!! Wonderful concoction!!! Great with a cold 1/2 litre of beer.

Zum Baren I remember as well. My parents and I went there fairly often but, like you, I can't quite remember the location. Out along the Hoennetal, enroute to Menden I suppose, yes. I think I tried the bear steak once....mom paled at the mere thought! I don't recall how it tasted...okay I suppose, probably a bit tough, but perhaps not as it would have been prepared well (and probably pounded into near oblivion to tender it up in the kitchen!). Boar, yes....gamey pork chop, basically.

Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 20:06

Shelldrake wrote:
The Freiwilliger Feuerwehr was another excuse for a Booze Up, they arrived at your house, extinguished the fire, drank the contents of your Schrank, then disappeared back home. I applied to join but there was a waiting list! drunken drunken

Speaking of "another excuse for a booze up".

One time, in 70s Hemer, I was required to get the Regimental small bore team to a local pub for a fixture in the local league competition.

We didn't even know we were in the league but we turned up and surprisingly, the pub had it's own shooting range, in the building.

On arrival we were placed before a great array of those open sandwiches, free liquor, free beer. We said, amongst ourselves "these buggers plan to beat us by getting us ratted", "not very subtle, what ?" "Yeah, but all this free scoff and booze, bugger the competition !" So in we tucked. We shot, we lost!

It must've cost them a small fortune.

Those Germans just didn't understand the British squaddie !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime27/6/2011, 23:20

Found this link on another site.Might interest the beer drinkers among you.

http://www.yellow-handbag.co.uk/german-beer-sales
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/6/2011, 08:07

Gordon. wrote:
Found this link on another site.Might interest the beer drinkers among you.

http://www.yellow-handbag.co.uk/german-beer-sales

Verrry Interesting, Gordon. Might give it a whirl. drunken drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/6/2011, 08:17

Even with the delivery charge,it`s quite a good buy
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/6/2011, 18:30

brum wrote:

There used to be a pinkish caviar one that I particularly liked.

One bleak Paderborn day, standing on Battery parade, we were told "Dont forget to go to the MI room today and give blood to the German Red Cross". "Have we got to go ?" we asked, "Not if you don't want to, no", was the reply. "Well *ollocks to that then we declared.

Later a scruffy little Herbert arrived at the vehicle park, looking pleased with himself. On being quizzed he stated that he'd been to give blood and that he'd been given coffee, cognac "loads of scoff" and cognac by the German women in there. Did I mention the Cognac ?

Exit 76 (Missile) Battery in the direction of the MI room.

Most of us had never really tasted German food before but the taste of that caviar stays with me to this day. And don't get me started on those Gherkins !

I remember those open sandwiches with the pinkish stuff on top, but I don't think it was caviar (fish eggs)....seems to me it was a bit more basic than that....minced up raw meat with diced onions in it or something. Delicious though. The bread it was commonly put upon tended to the hard side of the equation (not stale...just hard) but also delicious. Speaking of which....gawd, but I miss my brotchen!!! I am not a big bread eater (toast, sometimes) but I could scoff down a half dozen brotchen easily....mmmm-mmmm-MMMM!!! Butter only, butter and jam, didn't matter.....didn't even mind them 'dry' (i.e. no topping at all) if I had to.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/6/2011, 19:37

Stephen, do you mean Mettwurst?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/6/2011, 21:06

Stephen Lock wrote:
brum wrote:

There used to be a pinkish caviar one that I particularly liked.

One bleak Paderborn day, standing on Battery parade, we were told "Dont forget to go to the MI room today and give blood to the German Red Cross". "Have we got to go ?" we asked, "Not if you don't want to, no", was the reply. "Well *ollocks to that then we declared.

Later a scruffy little Herbert arrived at the vehicle park, looking pleased with himself. On being quizzed he stated that he'd been to give blood and that he'd been given coffee, cognac "loads of scoff" and cognac by the German women in there. Did I mention the Cognac ?

Exit 76 (Missile) Battery in the direction of the MI room.

Most of us had never really tasted German food before but the taste of that caviar stays with me to this day. And don't get me started on those Gherkins !

I remember those open sandwiches with the pinkish stuff on top, but I don't think it was caviar (fish eggs)....seems to me it was a bit more basic than that....minced up raw meat with diced onions in it or something. Delicious though. The bread it was commonly put upon tended to the hard side of the equation (not stale...just hard) but also delicious. Speaking of which....gawd, but I miss my brotchen!!! I am not a big bread eater (toast, sometimes) but I could scoff down a half dozen brotchen easily....mmmm-mmmm-MMMM!!! Butter only, butter and jam, didn't matter.....didn't even mind them 'dry' (i.e. no topping at all) if I had to.

This was, in fact, fish eggs Stephen, though I know not from which fish.

In common usage in the 70s, I encountered it often.

We dubbed it "Poor man's caviar". Tasty, for all that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime28/6/2011, 22:16

Was it not from the cod family?
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 208
Cap Badge : 14th/20th Kings Hussars - KRH
Places Served : In BAOR : Hohne,Berlin and Munster.
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/6/2011, 00:10

Frikadelle mit pommes und senf bitte.
Does anybody remember 'Wolfgang' at Saltau ??
What a star he was....
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/6/2011, 02:23

a friend of mine once trying to find the English word for Brotchen came up with Breadlings. as in ducklings i suppose. Still language wasnt her best asset I suppose.
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 208
Cap Badge : 14th/20th Kings Hussars - KRH
Places Served : In BAOR : Hohne,Berlin and Munster.
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/6/2011, 02:36

Bread rolls are called 'schripon' in Berlin.......(probably spelt wrong).....lol
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/6/2011, 08:05

Quote :
Still language wasnt her best asset I suppose

A long legged beautiful blonde Steve? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime29/6/2011, 16:42

Gordon. wrote:
Was it not from the cod family?

Oh no mate, we bought it from a shop ! Wink
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime30/6/2011, 00:57

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Still language wasnt her best asset I suppose

A long legged beautiful blonde Steve? Embarassed

Dark and rather short i seem to remember. but lovely with it.
Back to top Go down
cartav
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 784
Cap Badge : RA (ns) RA, R.Sigs, RE ( TAVR)
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Woolwich, Osnabruck, MT School Bordon, Bulford, Manorbier, Hameln, R.Sigs Blandford, RSME Chattenden, Western Highlands.
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime30/6/2011, 17:25

Not strictly essen, we'd already eaten, but the ,Fraulein and I ended up at the end of year wine fest in a small village in the Pfalz. The main street was closed, beer tents & Bratwurst stalls lined one side, seats the other. Being Kraut, she took charge...... "You will get the drinks, I shall find seats.... Go ! ". I went, charged with buying a beer & a white wine.

I joined a queue, read the notice .....BIER 3 Marks, WEISS WEIN 3 marks. Cheap enough, at the then 3 DM to £1.... My turn, the barman, big, fat, queried "Ja?". " Ein Glas Weiss Wein, und ein Glas Bier, bitte ". The two glasses appeared , he said " 9 Marks ". I was confused, pointed to the price list. "Es sagt Wein 3 Marks, Bier 3 marks. Es macht 6 Marks ". The queue was impatient, the barman stressed. "Pfand !" he shouted, then, louder "PFAND" again. It had the sound of "Bugger off, English", there was no point in arguing. I took the drinks, joined my companion, scowled & expressed my disgust at the treatment afforded to a foreigner.

She said just one word, it was the second time I'd heard it. "Pfand!". "What?" "PFAND ! It's
the deposit on the glasses"

Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 19:40

3 marks to the pound. hells teeth. in 50s it was 12 marks to the pound , beer 15 pfennigs a glass, , you paid 50 pfennigs for a half spit roast chicken , i distinctly remember buying a wooden box of scloss park cigars 25 in box for 3 marks, ginger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 23:03

I was drawing around 100 marks a week in the early 60s and thought i was well off
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!
Page 9 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: