BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!

Go down 
+37
jimsigs1
ciphers
dandc
BigJock
gingerjim
cartav
pinky
malaboman
Dolmetscher
whitehorse660
reg
"john boy"
BobG
jerry
Shelldrake
JPW
steve
sapper0938
JJ
Trish1303
brum
recce83
steve jones
Themaadone
Hardrations
mjm34
jim
TaffyS
Mike_2817
donald
Teabag
bob
Rocky
Stephen Lock
ChrisP
graham wright
alan8376
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 13:51

Uhmmm...I think that is RONALD McDonald....Donald McDonald is likely his less-(in)famous brother

Razz
[/quote] Razz [/quote]

Silly old me ! Rolling Eyes

Donald, of course, is the one with a little sailor's hat and wearing a jacket but no trousers.
(Funny that, gets out of the shower and wraps a towel around himself ! Suspect )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 14:44

Marmite is a yeast extract that you either love or hate.I am among the later.I think it is vile.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 17:22

I remember a pub adjacent to the "back entrance" to the barracks in Sennelager run by a retired Major. His cutlets were the best I ever ran across in Germany, to say nothing of the accompanying kartoffelnsalat. I'm surprised no one has mentioned ox- tail soup or, better yet, goulash soup that went down so well "the day after".

I wonder if the Zum Baren is still in business? It was, or is, located somewhere between Menden and Hemer, but the years have erased it's exact location from my mental GPS. They too served game meat, and their roast wild boar was well known and applauded.

I'm afraid I couldn't handle the bean soup with the great bockwurst floating in the middle of the bowl. (Old joke: "You say that's called a phallic symbol? I'd hate to tell you what it looks like!) Ditto for eels of any description or those pork chops encased in aspic. But on the whole I love German food and rejoice that there are so many places to get it near home. But I would give up my unattained (and totally undeserved) rank of WO 1 to be back there.

Happy days!
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 17:59

You have all forgotten the best delicacy particular to German Culinary Skills which was an open broetchen, liberally spread with Mettwurst (not the sliced type) and topped off with a couple of raw onion rings, followed by a glass of that Danish milk sold by NAAFI/MLS - definitely a hangover cure. Happy days indeed Recce, I was fortunate to have spent a total of 16 years there and would give up my Army Pension to have those days back (apart from the ones when I got a lift from the RMP,)
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 18:21

Shelldrake wrote:
You have all forgotten the best delicacy particular to German Culinary Skills which was an open broetchen, liberally spread with Mettwurst (not the sliced type) and topped off with a couple of raw onion rings, followed by a glass of that Danish milk sold by NAAFI/MLS - definitely a hangover cure. Happy days indeed Recce, I was fortunate to have spent a total of 16 years there and would give up my Army Pension to have those days back (apart from the ones when I got a lift from the RMP,)

That reminds me of the open broetchen with seelachs (cured salmon?) featured in those autobahn rastattes behind the coin-operated windows. Not exactly gourmet, but very tasty.

And on the subject of automatieks, I want to come back to the bami ballen and nasi ballen we used to get at those street vending machines in Holland. After a hearty night of Heineken or Amstel in Amsterdam or Nijmegen they went down like a christmas dinner.
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 19:40

Agreed with two, Eisbein,Sauerkraut and mash tatty,and my all time favourite,mette,onions, sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 20:28

First time that an RMP has agreed with my version of things! Very Happy Very Happy Has anyone ever ordered anything from German Deli, London and if so what was their experience?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime15/3/2011, 22:15

There is an old adage that an army marches on its belly.This thread appears to coroborate that elephant
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime16/3/2011, 01:13

[quote="recce83"]
Shelldrake wrote:

And on the subject of automatieks, I want to come back to the bami ballen and nasi ballen we used to get at those street vending machines in Holland. After a hearty night of Heineken or Amstel in Amsterdam or Nijmegen they went down like a christmas dinner.

I take it that you are referring to the electro- mechanical street vending machines in Amsterdam Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime16/3/2011, 11:07

oh yes, mett raw pork with onion rings LOL, never be allowed here would it. Very Happy

Seelach on brotchen, yum yum

OK what are Bammi Ballen and nasi ballen then?
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime16/3/2011, 11:31

Got some Polish chewy sausages from Aldi. Had bit of bone in them so won't be buying again.
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime16/3/2011, 12:33

Mett, Zwiebeln und Lowensenf auf nem halben broetchen bitte (Machen Sie ruhig zwei oder gleich drei - Ich hab hunger!).
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime16/3/2011, 16:58

jim wrote:
oh yes, mett raw pork with onion rings LOL, never be allowed here would it. Very Happy

Seelach on brotchen, yum yum

OK what are Bammi Ballen and nasi ballen then?

They're round balls about 1 inch or so in diameter, with a crumb coating and probably deep fried. The inside is either rice (nasi) or noodles (bami) flavoured like the Indonesian dishes nasi goering or bami goering. Definitely falls within the "junk food" category. I don't know about now, but they used to be found in vending machines on just about every street corner.
Back to top Go down
whitehorse660
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 63
Cap Badge : RMP
Places Served : Herford, Werl (twice), Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Sennelager.
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime16/3/2011, 19:33

Themaadone wrote:
Mett, Zwiebeln und Lowensenf auf nem halben broetchen bitte (Machen Sie ruhig zwei oder gleich drei - Ich hab hunger!).

Ich Auch!!!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime17/3/2011, 10:05

Thanks Recce, I'd have given them a go Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime17/3/2011, 10:38

I love Paprika crisps, Bahlsen was the best ones or Flips, those peanut crisps

Hanuta chocolate or Duplo..... yummy
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime17/3/2011, 16:59

When I was stationed in Hannover we used frequently go to the Bahlsen factory to buy seconds, their full range was available from crisps to wicked chocolate biccys and cakes. A great bargain but did nothing for the figure.
Bob
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime17/3/2011, 17:17

Solingen, where I lived for a year whilst working in Cologne had a HARIBO factoiry where you could buy a Kg of Gummibaeren for " Euros. I loved that sort of thing. Viersen had the MARS werke which made Milky Ways, Snickers and Bounty I think but again, for a fraction you could get the stuff right from their doorstep.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime17/3/2011, 18:43

Martin, Siglinda Bo laesst Sich gruessen!
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime18/3/2011, 10:25

??? Wer ist Siglinda Bo Shelldrake? Ist dass ein Spuelmittel?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime18/3/2011, 13:35

Themaadone wrote:
??? Wer ist Siglinda Bo Shelldrake? Ist dass ein Spuelmittel?

Nein, Sie ist Die schwester von Hari Bo! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime18/3/2011, 15:57

I was just thinking of that curry ketchup Yum Yum
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime19/3/2011, 17:45

Memories of evenings spent in the Sedan Klause on Natruper Strasse, drinking helles bier and consuming vast quantities of wonderful Frikadellen. Unforgettable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime20/3/2011, 21:08

Shelldrake you silly bugger lol!
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime27/3/2011, 22:29

Nobody has mentioned those German "open" sandwiches.

There used to be a pinkish caviar one that I particularly liked.

One bleak Paderborn day, standing on Battery parade, we were told "Dont forget to go to the MI room today and give blood to the German Red Cross". "Have we got to go ?" we asked, "Not if you don't want to, no", was the reply. "Well *ollocks to that then we declared.

Later a scruffy little Herbert arrived at the vehicle park, looking pleased with himself. On being quizzed he stated that he'd been to give blood and that he'd been given coffee, cognac "loads of scoff" and cognac by the German women in there. Did I mention the Cognac ?

Exit 76 (Missile) Battery in the direction of the MI room.

Most of us had never really tasted German food before but the taste of that caviar stays with me to this day. And don't get me started on those Gherkins !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!   Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte! - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Einmal Currywurst mit Pommes bitte!
Page 8 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General-
Jump to: