BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 43 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 43 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)

Go down 
+11
Bedou
davord
dagian
mick131
jim
Hitch
JAL
Fred Flintstone
Bexy
plant-pilot
Webmaster Phil
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Webmaster Phil
WOII
WOII
Webmaster Phil

Number of posts : 92
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Bielefeld
Registration date : 2007-03-08

Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Empty
PostSubject: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime8/3/2007, 19:28

Does anybody know the role of Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) during WW2 or which regiment was based there? Also, does anybody know of the early British units stationed there?
Back to top Go down
https://bfg-locations.editboard.com
plant-pilot
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : R.Sigs/RE
Places Served : Lippstadt, Gütersloh, Herford, Hameln

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime9/3/2007, 08:34

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I think that I have seen the picture you have down as 'Unknown 9' as being Bielefeld.

If that is the case it can only be of soldiers marching into Rochdale (Mossbank) Bks by the second gate, the one behind the guardroom.
Back to top Go down
Bexy
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 17
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick, Lippstadt, Herford and lots in between
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime15/3/2007, 07:41

Rumour has it that just after the war, the barracks were used as a military prison. This is to be confirmed.

As far as anyone here can remember there has always been REME in there.

Currently 3 BN WKSPS, Prosecution Services and ACL (G) are in there.[
Back to top Go down
Webmaster Phil
WOII
WOII
Webmaster Phil

PostSubject: Mossbank Barracks - Links   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime15/3/2007, 14:30

I know that Bielefeld fell in Mar/Apr 1945 to the Americans and was handed over to British control in 1946. I've also heard that it was a prison and it took the name Mossbank from another prison situated within the UK. I'm also to agree that it had been extensively used by the Reme. 2 CS (newly formed theatre troops) have just squeezed in with 3 Civ Wksp.
A friend of mine also stated that the barracks was used for electronic warfare during the war. What is interesting is that he mentioned that it was inwards pointing - internal security. The emblem can be seen above the door on this website.
There is a belting picture of the camp if you follow this link;-

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=24904/highlight=bielefeld.html

There are also polenty of pictures of the barracks on this site (although you will need to look closely as they are not labled up);-

http://www.dasheer.org.uk/original_photos.htm
Back to top Go down
Bexy
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 17
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick, Lippstadt, Herford and lots in between
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime15/3/2007, 15:03

The one near the ex PC69 was originally Richmond Barracks. When they closed it down, the army opened Reeth Barracks near Potsdamerstrasse.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster Phil
WOII
WOII
Webmaster Phil

PostSubject: The Answer   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime17/5/2007, 11:12

"The Military Corrective Centre, BAOR (another term for military prison) was established shortly after 1945 in Langermark Kaserne on the Oldentruper Strasse in Bielefeld.
The barracks was renamed Mossbank after Mossbank Prison in Scotland, where one of the wings had been used as a military prison between 1939-45. The name was not intended, in any way, to reflect an especially good Scottish membership! Business thrived until 1959 when the "baddies" were moved elsewhere.
Among the units to occupy this red brick barracks was a small oranisation called HQ Movement Control RE, Bielefeld. The function of this unit were subsequently taken over by 25 Tpt & Mov Regt RCT which formed in Mossbank Barracks in 1965.
In 1983 25 Tpt & Mov Regt RCT moved out of Mossbank Barracks in order to make room for HQ REME 1 (BR) Corps, which moved from Minden to share the barracks with 1 Corps Tps Wksp REME, thus turning Mossbank into an entirely REME domain.
The old Courts Martial Centre also moved to Block 2, Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld."

Some of the guests of the Military Corrective Centre, Bielefeld, were Johnny Briggs, who played Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street and Leslie Grantham, aka Dirty Den Watts of Eastenders.
Back to top Go down
Fred Flintstone
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Bielefled   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime14/8/2007, 07:22

The following two links might confirm whether Mossbank was used as a prison or not;

(COPY AND PASTE THE FULL LINK AS CLICKING ON IT WILL NOT LINK YOU TO THE PICS!)

Block 3

www.redcap70.net/1Corps(1).html/slides/MCE%20Bielefeld%201953%201.html

The gym with block 3 to the right

www.redcap70.net/1Corps(1).html/slides/MCE%20Bielefeld%201953.html
Back to top Go down
Fred Flintstone
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Mossbank Bks   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime15/8/2007, 09:19

Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Bielef10
Back to top Go down
JAL
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 68
Cap Badge : RASC & RAOC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Minden, Mannheim/Seckenheim
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime15/8/2007, 21:01

I lived around the corner from Mossbank around 58- 60 and can confirm that it was an MCTC. My Dad also told me about a time he had to deliver a prisoner there.
Back to top Go down
Hitch
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime25/10/2007, 21:34

Concerning the photo of Rochdale under construction, the uniform of the man on the right is that of a Belgian Captain from the Allied Demilitarisation Commission. This was instituted by the Völkerbund to control all German military activities. It existed until 1937. I guess this was an inspection to see what the Germans were building in Bielefeld.
Back to top Go down
Hitch
Cpl
Cpl

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime25/10/2007, 21:34

Concerning the photo of Rochdale under construction, the uniform of the man on the right is that of a Belgian Captain from the Allied Demilitarisation Commission. This was instituted by the Völkerbund to control all German military activities. It existed until 1937. I guess this was an inspection to see what the Germans were building in Bielefeld.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime3/1/2008, 14:14

I recall being told it was a prison, but in my day (74-77) it was a Transport Regiment, probably 25 as mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
mick131
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime13/3/2011, 21:24

I was at Mossbank, 25 Regt from 71 to 73, and played football with the Field Ambulance unit also based there. In the mid 80's met an ex SNCO from Coldstream guards who had been stationed there after the war and said he was guarding all sorts of prisoners "ours and there's", also said it was a grim place back then, not sure if they carried out corporal punishment there, he passed away a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
dagian
Sgt
Sgt
dagian

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : UK (Nuneaton/Barnard Castle/Larkhill/Bulford), Germany (Gutersloh/Lubbecke).Then worked as Civvy for Army.
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Rochdale Bks (formerly Mossbank Bks - Today   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime19/6/2011, 15:43

Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Captur10
Back to top Go down
http://www.football-linx.com/
davord
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : UK,BAOR,HK,Belgium
Registration date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime4/1/2013, 15:25

dagian wrote:
Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Captur10

Served in Mossbank Barracks 81-83. Was the home of 1(BR)Corps Troops Workshops REME. The top 2 floors of the building on the left as you pass through the gate were used as the Sergeants Mess.
Back to top Go down
Bedou
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Localisation : Home base - Hounsdown, Hampshire. Currently working Kalimantan, Indonesia.
Cap Badge : REME (RD)
Places Served : Trg Bn & Depot REME - 1984/87. 14 Berlin Fd Wksp - 1987/90. 1 (BR) Corps Tps Wksp, Bielefeld - 1990/91. 20 Electronic Wksp, Bielefeld - 1991/94. (Previously Infantry, 1973-1984)
Registration date : 2014-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime12/2/2014, 01:46

By the time I got there in 1990, to take up post in 1 (BR) Corps Tps Wksp as the worst CQMS in NATO, 20 Electronic Wksp REME had moved from Minden into a new purpose built electronic repair facility built behind the gymnasium.

The old cell blocks had been 'Op Humaned' into self contained flats. I can't remember how many personnel were allocated to the flats, but they were a vast improvement on the previous accommodation.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime12/2/2014, 13:11

Bedou

Welcome, with your arrival we can now form a completely self contained,self administering REME subunit from the talents and experience available from the BLUEBELL contributors to this site. Knew Mossbank Barracks quite well in the early 70's when I was based in HQ 1 (BR) Corps.
Back to top Go down
Tug1965
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 7
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Verden (twice), Newton Abbot, Tidworth, Colchester, Detmold, Wilton, Bielefeld, Northern Ireland (69 & 72)
Registration date : 2014-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime13/1/2018, 16:40

I was stationed at Mossbank Barracks in Bielefeld in the latter half of 1978 and the first half of 1979.  

Due to medical problems that my wife had at the time, I had reluctantly decided to leave the services but had to register to leave as I was in a restricted trade.  I left a fantastic posting earlier than expected as I was promoted to Acting Sergeant Clerk and my current post was established for a Corporal.  Additionally, my new unit had asked for me to come early as they had no administrative support.  So I left Wilton to take on the administrative responsibility for the rear party of 1 (BR) Corps Troops Workshop REME who were located in Mossbank.

It was my final posting before leaving the Army and without doubt it was my worst one.  My married quarters were some 15k's from the barracks and were heaving with cockroaches which covered every room in the flat.  The BIA gave me cans of spray in boxes to keep them down.  My admin officer was an SSC Captain who was still operating under Kings Rules and Regulations and failed miserably to enter the 20th century.  I knew from day one we wouldn't gel and after he told me bluntly that he was adamant that I wouldn't get substantive rank, I knew I had made the right decision to leave the Army.  A short time later my discharge papers came and I went back to Arborfield for discharge.  I remember the Sergeants' Mess well as it was while I was with my wife on New Years' night that she went into labour and I had to take her to hospital.  After she went back to the UK I lived in the Mess and I took on the bar for the last three weeks of my stay.  For me, the barracks was depressing and uninviting.  The rear party guys were great as were the others when they came back from Ireland - but that Admin Officer - he was a real piece of work who I wouldn't have wished on my worst enemy.  What a culmination to just over 14 years of military service.  However, in the main, those 14 years were phenomenal and I look back at them with much pride.  Be The Best that you can - I know I tried to be!
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime19/1/2018, 18:59

Back to top Go down
Crockroy
LCpl
LCpl
Crockroy

Number of posts : 9
Cap Badge : Ex RA - 50Msl, 12Regt, 20Bde
Places Served : Menden, Dortmund, Bosnia, NI, Oman, Iraq, Canada, Rheindahlen, Bielefeld, Paderborn
Registration date : 2019-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime12/12/2019, 08:51

The camp is scheduled to be handed back Jan 2020.

It now stands pretty much empty ready for the handover.

I posted a picture that I took 10/12/19 here : https://bfg-locations.editboard.com/t2444-rochdale-bks-was-mossbank-bks-bielefeld#37483
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime12/12/2019, 11:30

Crockroy
Thanks for the update
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)   Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mossbank Barracks (now Rochdale)
Page 1 of 1