BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 72 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 72 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

No names no pack drill

Go down 
+8
brum
Themaadone
Teabag
steve jones
jim
Shelldrake
alan8376
Tony Miller
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

No names no pack drill - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 12:04

Gordon. wrote:
Hardly worth the bother as the mark was only the size of a shilling and you got 20 of them for a pound

True, but for every Pound you spent, you only 'used' 11 Shillings! Smile
Back to top Go down
jerry
WOI
WOI
jerry

Number of posts : 186
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 12:12

In the early 70s after the Army I worked at Ringway Airport all the tips I got in DM I kept for
just for nostalgia. Years later on going to the Rhine for a holiday I took them with me, only for the waitress to say "kein gute Alte Geld"
what a numpty
Back to top Go down
Roy Phillips
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAS Carlisle; Bielefeld; Hilden; Dortmund(2); Bramley; Lippstadt; Kirkcudbright; Paderborn; Larkhill; Bordon.
Registration date : 2010-11-10

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 12:23

Gordon. wrote:
Yes Roy,That was certainly true.but they never worked for me,nor anyone else i knew at the time.

Myth or Fact?
Gordon, I know for a fact that they worked in chocolate, and most cigarette machines. Gosh, remember the days when most shops had a cigarette machine on the wall outside? Would'nt last 5 mins nowadays!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 13:07

That's true Roy,

I noticed a new ciggie vending machine in my local over the weekend, £8 for 16 ciggies, what a rip off.
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 14:14

I think it was the other way around. Old shillings/bigger 5p pieces used to work in DM vending machines. Honestly never tried it myself but have been told it was thus.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 19:17

Roy Phillips wrote:
Gordon. wrote:
Yes Roy,That was certainly true.but they never worked for me,nor anyone else i knew at the time.

Myth or Fact?
Gordon, I know for a fact that they worked in chocolate, and most cigarette machines. Gosh, remember the days when most shops had a cigarette machine on the wall outside? Would'nt last 5 mins nowadays!

I distinctly remember seeing cigarette vending machines while in Germany,certainly, but also recall prior to us leaving for Germany and while living in Ottawa (1969) of going up to the local grocery store (big chain) with 85 cents and buying mom her cigs out of it....first off, 85 cents for a package of cigs???? Damn things cost $10-13 now!! Secondly, I was 14 or 15, waaaaaay under age, but nobody said anything back then....kids often went in and bought cigs for their parents! (and themselves, but I never knew of it....we did what every generation of kids has done and swiped them out of our parents' packs!!!)

I also recall condom machines outside gasthofs (and, certainly in the men's room!) or just along the street somewhere. Inferior quality but would do in a pinch, as it were! Smile

Re using foreign currency in coin-operated machinery back home....when I returned to Canada in 1974 after working over in Soest for the previous 14 months I was flat cold broke. I had 1DM on me, a French centime, and a few pfennings.

Luckily, I returned to Canada via Canadian Armed Forces flight out of Lahr and landed in Trenton. That part didn't cost me a cent (pfenning, whatever....) but getting from Trenton to Calgary would prove to be a whole other story!!! Like going from Hastings to Edinburgh! Further, actually.....

At that time, pay phones were 25 cents so I took a chance and plugged in my centime and dialed home, collect! It worked. Out of that, mom arranged for a friend living near Trenton to help get me on a flight home and she paid him back. I have no idea how I'd have gotten home otherwise! Yuck....maybe I'd still be living in Trenton, Ontario!!!!! AAaaaaaagghhhh........!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 19:29

Talking of machines in Gaestette, can anyone remember machines installed in the gents toilets that dispensed "Aftershave Lotion". You inserted 10Pfg, put your face up against the machine, pulled a handle and within seconds you smelt like a whores' handbag? Cool

Last edited by Shelldrake on 11/11/2010, 19:32; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 19:30

I'll never understand the American or Canadian system where you have to stick money in a phone to call collect (reverse charge). Here we just call the operator for free or at least we did do as I haven't tried it for years. Do they have to put a coin in to call 911 in the states from a pay phone or is that free and direct?
Back to top Go down
Dolmetscher
WOI
WOI
Dolmetscher

Number of posts : 130
Cap Badge : RAPC
Places Served : Devizes, HMS Ariel, Winchester, Mönchen-gladbach, Osnabrück, N. Ireland, Ashton-u-Lyne
Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 05:05

I remember the fact that the most popular cigarette amongst the German civilians that I knew, were Passing Cloud. Anyone who has smoked them will know they came in a flattened form (a sort of trade mark) and the Germans would invariably try to roll them between the palms of their hands to make them round. I do remember they were very cheap.
Also recall going to bed one Saturday night in 1960, and the exchange rate was 11.80. Sunday morning I woke up to hear the announcement that it was now 9.20. The banks had done it over the weekend in order to beat speculators.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com
Tony Miller
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 76
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Bielefeld,Osnabruck,Leibenau,Munsterlager
Registration date : 2010-10-03

PostSubject: No names no Pack Drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 10:07

Hi Shelldrake,

You know I,if knowone else, believe you. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 10:35

Shelldrake wrote:
Talking of machines in Gaestette, can anyone remember machines installed in the gents toilets that dispensed "Aftershave Lotion". You inserted 10Pfg, put your face up against the machine, pulled a handle and within seconds you smelt like a whores' handbag? Cool

I seem to have a faint recollection of that as well shelldrake.

Last edited by jim on 12/11/2010, 14:16; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 11:29

Tony Miller wrote:
Hi Shelldrake,

You know I,if knowone else, believe you. Twisted Evil

All true stuff!! drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 11:42

There was also a gaming maching installed in some Bars (not that I am an expert on Bars, you understand), this was a wall mounted bowling game that refunded twice your stake if you knocked down all the pins with, I think, 5 balls. There was also the girls who frequented said Bars but I think that would be a whole new Thread. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:17

ah yes the krabbe keller. Happy days, happy days
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:36

Jim, was that the name of the place or was that what was on offer? Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/11/2010, 14:44

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL cheers
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 11:06

Both mate Both. Smile

Quite tasty tarts as well, don't know why, but all the German girls in those days looked way better than the English ones in Aldershot and Frimly Green. LOL
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 12:10

Take it from me Jim, they still do!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 13:54

and there's me thinking Camberly would have a higher class of tart Shelldrake.
Back to top Go down
Tony Miller
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 76
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Bielefeld,Osnabruck,Leibenau,Munsterlager
Registration date : 2010-10-03

PostSubject: Places of Interest   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 16:31

You know Jim I always wante to be a Baker....putting cream into tarts Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/11/2010, 17:15

jim wrote:
and there's me thinking Camberly would have a higher class of tart Shelldrake.

Camberley possibly, Jim. Not Aldershot & FG/Mytchett, when were you last here?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 09:45

LOL Dusty

Oh years and years Shelldrake, probably not since the late '70's.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 12:04

I think you would find one or two changes, Jim. You most probably know that Alma/Dettingen Barracks is now a housing estate and P Royal Bks (Blackdown) is scheduled to close within the nex 3 - 4 years. I hope to be excaping within the next month or so - rats & sinking ships spring to mind.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 14:16

I didn't actually Shelldrake, are you still serving then?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/11/2010, 16:11

No, left in 86 but I am the Barracky Bill here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No names no pack drill   No names no pack drill - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No names no pack drill
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next