BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 66 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 66 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk

Go down 
+14
john burton
BigJock
BobG
ciphers
Mike_2817
JPW
mowgli597
jimsigs1
cartav
Locator
bigmal
brum
Shelldrake
steve
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mowgli597
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime20/5/2012, 12:16

Update on the main site.

Peeps and peepesses. Steve has contacted me and asked me to host the main site which I'm happy to do.

(For the geeks amongst you Shocked ) Because it was being hosted on a Microsoft site it requires an IIS server rather than the "usual" linux/apache combination. I've set up a hosting account with a company which provides both types of hosting and have the site ready to go. Steve is sending me a CD with the data files on and once I get those I can upload them.

One caveat: to move the domain to a new host may require the permission of the registrar of the name "baor-locations.co.uk". A "whois" search shows this as Phil Graham (no relation!) who may be incommunicado at the mo? We'll see what happens.

Another slight delay may be caused by my being away from Monday to Friday next week visiting my big brother who makes Luddites seem trendy! No broadband, you see affraid

Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Mike Graham
http://www.royal-signals.org.uk
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime20/5/2012, 13:54

mowgli597 wrote:
Update on the main site.

Peeps and peepesses. Steve has contacted me and asked me to host the main site which I'm happy to do.

(For the geeks amongst you Shocked ) Because it was being hosted on a Microsoft site it requires an IIS server rather than the "usual" linux/apache combination.

Mike Graham
http://www.royal-signals.org.uk

I knew that! Well done Mike, onwards and upwards. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime28/5/2012, 18:51

Good job Mike, hope it works out okay.
Back to top Go down
mowgli597
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime30/5/2012, 09:05

Folks.

The main site is now back on line and can be found at:

http://www.baor-locations.org

Apologies for the domain name change but we can't transfer the old one at the moment: should the original registrar resurface then we can resurrect it.

However it is very much a work in progress as I try to untangle the tentacles of the Great Satan Microsoft which permeate the whole thing!

Come back to me if you find any problems - I noticed one or two links which didn't work but I don't have the source files for those pages (thanks Steve who sent me a CD containing the site files).

Mike
Back to top Go down
BigJock
WOI
WOI
BigJock

Number of posts : 117
Places Served : Arborfield, Bordon, Osnabrück, Paderborn and once again Paderborn.
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime30/5/2012, 09:57

good to know, will have a browse and inform of any probs, many thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime30/5/2012, 11:02

Well done Mike and Steve.. cheers cheers

Drinks on the gunners. Laughing
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime30/5/2012, 12:30

A VERY BIG thank you to Mike...all I did was know the right person to copy the website to CD

PLEASE can ALL forum members send a donation to Mike it is easy just click here:

http://royal-signals.org.uk/database/Donations.php

Time is free of charge but servers and domains cost money so please send what you feel you can afford... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime30/5/2012, 12:51

Done and dusted..
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime30/5/2012, 16:53

Great news, donation made as requested. cheers cheers cheers

BobG
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime31/5/2012, 05:35

Excellent news Mike, dosh donated. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime31/5/2012, 14:33

Quote :
Excellent news Mike, dosh donated.

Oh oh!!!...Audit of mess account required ASAP...... Suspect Laughing
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime31/5/2012, 16:33

Gordon. wrote:
Quote :
Excellent news Mike, dosh donated.

Oh oh!!!...Audit of mess account required ASAP...... Suspect Laughing

Nae worries, Big Man. Brum gave it me! Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
mowgli597
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime1/6/2012, 09:03

Folks. Thanks for those who have made donations towards the hosting of the main site. I hope I've acknowledged you all personally.

Just to say I'm still struggling to disentangle it from its previous incarnation and some things still aren't working correctly. Yesterday I fought with the Google maps section following an update to the files and will continue to try to get them back up and working.

To be honest Windows hosting is a mystery to me and is a royal pain in the ARRSE! But onwards and upwards as they say cheers

Being the new kid on the block (and confessing to my shame that though a "Cold War Warrior" I managed never to serve in BAOR, much preferring warner climes and the fag-end of empire!) could I ask the Moderator/owner of this Board to amend the URL for the main site at the top of each page to www.baor-locations.org vs the old name?

Secondly I still don't know how things work here regarding updates etc. The only contact I have is with Steve and, saving his presence, I'm not to sure whether he's familiar with the intricacies of running the site. If anyone can help (past site managers/editors/contributors/members) then please come back to me - via this forum preferably so that we can all contribute and learn!

Since there are no such things as problems - only opportunities - this may be a good time to re-vamp the site to make it a bit easier to manage (I'm happy to do the technical work, time permitting). So suggestions regarding layout, contents etc. also welcome.

Don't worry, the data which is already here will be preserved for posterity!

Over to yous.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Cap Badge : RAOC
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/6/2012, 00:39

Hi Mike the caretaker here. The forum is still registered to Phil the Webmaster, but like Steve I have access to about 80% of the settings, and discover new bits every now & then and have after a bit of digging amended the two web URL's to .ORG one as a live link as before to re-direct members & visitors to the main web pages.

FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime5/6/2012, 05:32

Nichts Verstehen, but well done anyway!! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
john burton
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : verden and all over as pr photographer
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re moving of ww11 memorial   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime8/12/2012, 22:11

I was army PR photographer stationed in Verden and one of my orders was to photograph the moving of the Memorial stone, Monty was in presence for this operation ( i have a Signed photo of him that i took at the time,) always wondered where it went as the last i saw of it was being driven off on a lorry , Must have been 1958-59 as that was i was in Germany
Sgt J Burton RAOC
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/12/2012, 11:23

John

Welcome, a similar query was raised about two years ago when two then contributors remembered when on Exercise on the Luneburger Heide in the early 60s being told about the Surrender Stone

You must have photographed the dismantling in late Summer/early Autumn 1958 as it was subsequently rebuilt on the edge of the New College Parade Ground in the grounds of the RMA Sandhurst. It was unveiled in November 1958 in the presence of FM Montgomery. It remains there to this day. Tap in Luneburg Stone RMA Sandhurst if you want more information.

Incidentally the 30 Corps "resting Wild Boar" Memorial which you might also have photographed was moved at a later date from Eystrup to a prominent position near to the main Academy Headquarters.
Back to top Go down
biggsy
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 33
Cap Badge : RA
Places Served : Kenya, Worthy Down, Winchester, Andover, Detmold, Soest, Hamm, Korbecke, Kirton Lindsey,
Registration date : 2012-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime9/12/2012, 17:17

JPW, your memory is a credit to you. I for one am glad of the help you have given to me on this site.
Thank you Sir.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime10/12/2012, 08:51

JPW wrote:
Incidentally the 30 Corps "resting Wild Boar" Memorial which you might also have photographed was moved at a later date from Eystrup to a prominent position near to the main Academy Headquarters.

Have tracked the 30 Corps District HQ from Eystrup to Neinburg then date unknown to Stadtkaserne Lüneburg probably the former 2 Army HQ and the "resting Wild Boar" was seen there by a previous contributor the disbandment came at the end of 1946 when the area of responsibility was handed over to 1 Corps District and Hamburg District
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/1/2013, 11:26

mowgli597 wrote:
Folks. Thanks for those who have made donations towards the hosting of the main site. I hope I've acknowledged you all personally.

Just to say I'm still struggling to disentangle it from its previous incarnation and some things still aren't working correctly. Yesterday I fought with the Google maps section following an update to the files and will continue to try to get them back up and working.

To be honest Windows hosting is a mystery to me and is a royal pain in the ARRSE! But onwards and upwards as they say cheers

Being the new kid on the block (and confessing to my shame that though a "Cold War Warrior" I managed never to serve in BAOR, much preferring warner climes and the fag-end of empire!) could I ask the Moderator/owner of this Board to amend the URL for the main site at the top of each page to www.baor-locations.org vs the old name?

Secondly I still don't know how things work here regarding updates etc. The only contact I have is with Steve and, saving his presence, I'm not to sure whether he's familiar with the intricacies of running the site. If anyone can help (past site managers/editors/contributors/members) then please come back to me - via this forum preferably so that we can all contribute and learn!

Since there are no such things as problems - only opportunities - this may be a good time to re-vamp the site to make it a bit easier to manage (I'm happy to do the technical work, time permitting). So suggestions regarding layout, contents etc. also welcome.

Don't worry, the data which is already here will be preserved for posterity!

Over to yous.

Mike

Taken from Mike's Royal Signals Website can we help as he is also hosting BAOR Locations

Folks. It's that time of year again I'm afraid

The annual charge for hosting this website has just come through and has been debited from my credit card.

Sincere thanks to all who have made contributions towards the upkeep of the site through the year: I hope I didn't miss acknowledging anyone.

But if you've a couple of bob left after the Christmas festivities then any donations would be gratefully received.

You can make them online by clicking on the "Donations" button HERE http://royal-signals.org.uk/database/Donations.php

Postal donations are a little more tricky since I live in Ireland but email me for an address if this is your preferred route.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/1/2013, 11:50

Steve/Mike

Noted. Very happy to make a financial contribution in view of the enormous pleasure and information this site provides. Will act accordingly with instructions on the Royal Signals site.
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/1/2013, 14:10

Thanks Guys,
My donation on its way via Paypal....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/1/2013, 14:19

done and dusted
Back to top Go down
Nige P
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RCT(V), RLC(V)
Places Served : Grantham, Long Marston, Bicester, Marchwood and most rail served depots with the TA in BAOR
Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/1/2013, 18:11

Done
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime6/1/2013, 18:40

Keep up the good work, donation made.

BobG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk   Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next