BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 63 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 63 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Help for Heroes ?

Go down 
+6
Les Pattenden
Wilf
rucjock21
JPW
Shelldrake
brum
10 posters
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime2/11/2012, 10:42

I've noticed recently that a number of charities have been a bit disgruntled because it was felt that all the media "publicity" about Help for Heroes is diverting public subscriptions away from their collecting boxes.

With that in mind, I stood in a local supermarket last wednesday expecting that there would be less money coming in for our (Legion) collection this year.
I was surprised, and moved, to see the amount of five and ten pound notes that people were handing over for their poppies.

I believe that it is the media coverage of the Afghanistan campaign that is raising public awareness of what our armed forces are going through but even so, I feel I must raise a cheer for the generosity of the people of our country.

Sah !
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime2/11/2012, 13:12

Obviously Sainsburys...........sniff.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime2/11/2012, 13:29

Shelldrake wrote:
Obviously Sainsburys...........sniff.

Well it wasnae 'kin Aldi I can tell you that pal !
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime5/11/2012, 12:26

In many areas, certainly Berkshire, there is an agreement by all the military charities that The Royal British Legion have exclusive rights to stret collections in the run up to Remembrance Sunday.

I agree that the general public is still remarkably generous with donations to the RBL but at other times of the year H4H collar the market, raise vast amounts of money, which their constitution prevents them spending, and other military charities such as SSAFA, the ABF and individual Regimental Charities suffer the consequences.
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Number of posts : 279
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime5/11/2012, 21:55

The Children in Need charity collection coincides with the poppy appeal every year.What I would like the BBC to do is have a fundraising Troops in Need and Pensioners in Need some time in the year so that the public can do similar activity and the Beeb can show the various actions of the public like those in Children in Need in a programme purely for the services and pensioners so that the charities can build up their funds to help those who genuinely need it.

Last edited by rucjock21 on 12/11/2012, 20:35; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime9/11/2012, 18:45

rucjock21 wrote:
The Children in Need charity collection coincides with the poppy appeal every year.What I would like the BBC to do is have a fundraising Troops in Need and Pensioners in Need some time in the year so that the public can do similar activity and the Beeb can show the various actions of the public like those in Children in Need in a programme purely for the services and pensioners so that the charities can build up its funds to help those who genuinely need it.

Totally agree, good post.
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime24/3/2013, 21:25

Has anyone actually addressed the problems that veteran's are having with the very large rises in fuel duty and the virtually monthly rises the utilities are hyping upon us.The rises we are getting in war pensions and other service related pensions are rather dismal.The government have a veterans minister but does anyone know who he is and what does he actually do to earn his hyped up salary for sitting on his a**e in Whitehall.Sorry to go on a bit about the problems but a lot of us are struggling right now. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime24/3/2013, 22:32

Absolutely right there, thing is Ex Service members have been struggling for years, there should always be someone to help but the reality is once out you are left to fend for yourself (apart of course from organisations like Legion) in all honesty when you think of all these couples get with child benefits and help with nursery school and so on (and nobody asks them to have children they cannot afford to keep) it is about time the government came to their senses and look after the people who after all they are asking to put lives on the line

Les
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime25/3/2013, 12:40

Nae money so huv nae weans I say.
Back to top Go down
pete26
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 209
Cap Badge : R.E.
Places Served : Farnborough, Hohne, Ulster, Berchtesgaden,Chatham..
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 04:43

Don't give money nor help for Help for Heroes.

It's a con !
Back to top Go down

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 07:06

H for H is not my favourite charity at the moment as the MOD has too much input...but can you explain (It's a con !)
Back to top Go down
Cliffo
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 97
Cap Badge : RASC
Places Served : Farnborough, Aldershot, Sennelager, Duisdurg, Cyprus - Platres, Nicosia
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 10:37

In the area I live (in Spain) a lot of money is raised for H for H by people who have fallen out/become dissilusioned with some branches of the RBL over here . I've never heard of it being described as a con before and would be interested, Pete26 , to know why.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 10:47

And me, I have donated to them in the past and bought items from their Shop. If this is a con I would like to be able to claim a refund?
Back to top Go down

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 11:04

Aye..You might need it after the cypriots empty your bank accountsssssss affraid
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime28/3/2013, 13:49

Don't need any Cypriots to do that, she who must be obeyed is very efficient at that sort of thing!! Laughing Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Hussar100
WOII
WOII
Hussar100

Number of posts : 89
Cap Badge : QRIH/UDR
Places Served : NI, GB, BAOR
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime10/5/2013, 16:11

I'm not going to knock Help For Heroes because I think they do a good job but from where I'm sitting the problme is they only help people from the most recent conflicts. If you copped yer whack in Op Banner or before then you've got to fall back on the Legion and some of the older charities, except: Army of Angels, which is a fairly recently established outfit but gives help in a way I've not seen others do. They really helped me.

So if you're an older veteran and are on hard times or if you know someone who's in that situation go to their website. (sorry can't post the link because site rules won't allow me - yet, but just do a Google for Army of Angels)
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime10/5/2013, 18:02

Here is the link, no problem pasting it ... its better than some of the crap I read here.

Len (Ciphers

http://www.armyofangels.org.uk
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime11/5/2013, 13:00

I think the majority of the ex service community out there either don't have a computer or are not in touch with the various organisations that helping veterans.We see a lot on TV of the Help for Heroes,Homes/Houses for Heroes etc etc and because of pride they will not approach these organisations for help.These organisations are charities that help in a big way and rely on donations from joe public.I personally think that governments over the decades should have been paying for a lot of the help instead of standing to the side and letting charities doing their work for them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime12/5/2013, 03:51

Politicians don't give a toss about veterans. Headley Court was paid for by charitable donations. This stinking government should be embarrassed about the lack of care for wounded/ex soldiers post Telic/Herrick. Politicians are parasites who pre election promise the earth, and post election quickly forget. Even ex soldiers who have gone into politics are (Imo) wankers. Look at Iain Duncan Smith, ex CO Scotts Guards and millionaire who is now a politician who says it's easy to survive on £57 a week, however he is less than keen to put it to the test, wanker.

In my experience guards officers only joined 'Daddies' regiment on a short service commission because if they didn't then 'daddy' would write them out of the will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help for Heroes ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for Heroes ?   Help for Heroes ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help for Heroes ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: General - Non-BAOR-
Jump to: