BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 77 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 77 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Combats in the mid to late 80's

Go down 
+5
Wilf
JPW
Nige P
brum
Just a number
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Just a number
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-09-11

Combats in the mid to late 80's Empty
PostSubject: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime11/9/2013, 13:42

This is definitely an anorak type of question, but here I go...

In looking through pictures of BAOR in the mid to late 80s it seems that name tapes were not typically worn for infantry types. I can understand the "family" feeling this might be indicative of but more curiously there seems to be little to no rank being worn either. Was this a security thing or is it just that I'm looking at the wrong pictures? I've heard here and there that TRFs and name tapes were not worn for security reasons due to rotating through NI or alternately that TRFs in particular were just not in fashion at the time but that doesn't really explain lack of rank for ORs and NCOs. Can someone shed some light?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime11/9/2013, 17:59

Wasn't it about that time that badges of rank were worn on a single epaulette, in the centre of the chest ? An idea copied from our Canadian cousins I believe.
Back to top Go down
Nige P
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RCT(V), RLC(V)
Places Served : Grantham, Long Marston, Bicester, Marchwood and most rail served depots with the TA in BAOR
Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime11/9/2013, 20:50

When I joined the TA in 84, badges of rank were still worn on the sleeve of the combat jacket. That lasted up to the mid 90's for the regulars at least. TA had to join the long clothing queue for CS95. Us loggies never got it until 2000. It was the advent of CS95 and early trials versions that saw the rank badges move from slides on the epaullettes for officers and olive green rank patches on the sleeve for ORs to the universal rank slide on the chest on combat clothing. However, some 'ally' ORs had epaullettes made up with their rank badges.

I cannot remember TRFs on combats until the advent of CS95, although name tapes were quite common on 80's combats.

Nige
Back to top Go down
Just a number
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime12/9/2013, 13:09

Yes I'm thinking this is well before the S95 move to center chest. Well back in time I used to have a written directive that troops not wear or cover identifying items when they were working near the border but it's long gone and I've never been able to find it since.
Back to top Go down
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime13/9/2013, 08:34

I agree with the comments that name tags were ordered to be removed from all military dress following experience in the early years of OP Banner and the opposition yelling "XXX, we're gonna get you"
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime13/9/2013, 20:57

I remember asking the OC why we no longer wore the 1 Div flash on our sleeve, he said 'security' (End of conversation) That may or may not have been the case, personally I think some civvy type in MoD procurement, obviously an expert in his field... considered regimental/brigade/Div insignia too expensive and decided it should be scrapped regardless of the effect it may have on the people who proudly wore that insignia. I'm willing to bet he collected a nice little bonus for his brilliant money saving idea!

Last edited by Wilf on 14/9/2013, 01:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nige P
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 35
Cap Badge : RCT(V), RLC(V)
Places Served : Grantham, Long Marston, Bicester, Marchwood and most rail served depots with the TA in BAOR
Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime13/9/2013, 22:20

Being TA and never going on Op Banner, name tags were common. However, I can see the logic of taking them off for that Op.

Going a bit off track but this new MTP (PCS - Personal Clothing System) you 2 velcro patches. One for left sleeve with Bde Flash and Union Flag and another for right sleeve with TRF on. Each set of clothing comes with these patches. Cue much 'tactical' velcro ripping sounds when changing jackets because the MoD only pay for the badges on one, if you want all sets done you have to purchase the badges.

Still got my 80's combats in the loft. Don't quite fit now:cry: 

Nige
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime14/9/2013, 01:14

Quality of combats changed dramatically during the early 1980's. Previously they were robust enough to get through the average exercise, after about 1983/84 combats became little more than a uniform for guard duty, they would press well only because they were so thin. I'm not suggesting the kit I was issued with in the 1970's was from Gieves & Hawkes, but it was a damned sight better than the kit issued after early/mid 1980's.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime14/9/2013, 18:14

JPW wrote:
I agree with the comments that name tags were ordered to be removed from all military dress following experience in the early years of OP Banner and the opposition yelling "XXX, we're gonna get you"
We of the Battle Dress generation used to sneer at the Yanks for wearing name tags. Looking at a bloke in BD you could see immediately what his regt was, his trade, his rank and what div/bde he belonged to.
Obviously such insignia could not be worn on combats, in fact I can't even remember us wearing name tags on anything other than coveralls. DPM issue coincided with our first NI tour and by then wearing name tags would've defeated the object of wearing camouflage. We even sprayed our cap badges black.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime15/9/2013, 05:58

brum wrote:
[quote="JPW" We even sprayed our cap badges black.

You must have had a lot of time on your hands, we dipped ours in Paint, Black, Matt.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime15/9/2013, 07:38

Only wore name tags at training establishments.. Noticed that some of the BD insignia are beginning to appear on SD.
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1001
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime15/9/2013, 10:28

If my memory is correct first camouflage combat kit for NI issued in 1971 was the same quality as all green but with white/khaki full size chevrons…right hand sleeve no name tags by 1977 same combats with small black on green chevrons and a sprayed black cap badge…never wore insignia on the all green or later camouflage combats and never on No 2s…left mid 1981
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime15/9/2013, 10:44

Only wore tapes and trade badges on No2s up until 70. don't know what happened after that
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime15/9/2013, 12:43

I can't even remember us wearing trade badges on No2 dress. Perhaps it's me age. I remember the smaller rank badges were well received though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime15/9/2013, 13:17

Aye.. The wee tapes were a ok
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime15/9/2013, 18:12

'wot's No2's, I thought that was when you went to .. Oh! never mind ... we only had BD's and denims.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Just a number
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime16/9/2013, 14:00

I can very much understand the "security" reason for no nametapes or other badges near the IGD in the late 80's but no one has really explained the no rank directive. I would love to find that little bit of paper again if someone has it hidden away.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime16/9/2013, 17:14

The only guys that I know who didn't display badges of rank were the Hereford boys.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime16/9/2013, 18:06

Nie Pravda !

We, (they) wore normal badges of rank.
Back to top Go down
Just a number
LCpl
LCpl

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime17/9/2013, 13:07

It may very well be that I'm confusing the no name tapes and TRFs directive with a non-existent no rank directive.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime17/9/2013, 13:30

What was the question again?scratch scratch 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime17/9/2013, 14:21

In looking through pictures of BAOR in the mid to late 80s it seems that name tapes were not typically worn for infantry types. I can understand the "family" feeling this might be indicative of but more curiously there seems to be little to no rank being worn either. Was this a security thing or is it just that I'm looking at the wrong pictures? I've heard here and there that TRFs and name tapes were not worn for security reasons due to rotating through NI or alternately that TRFs in particular were just not in fashion at the time but that doesn't really explain lack of rank for ORs and NCOs. Can someone shed some light?
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime17/9/2013, 15:06

MTP
TRF
IGD
WTF ? Sad 
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime17/9/2013, 15:38

Gordon. wrote:

Of course, silly me.   'fraid I can't be of any assistance old bean.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime17/9/2013, 15:41

brum wrote:
MTP
TRF
IGD
WTF ?     Sad 

Have you had a look at this website, may be of assistance:-

http://www.chatslang.com/

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combats in the mid to late 80's   Combats in the mid to late 80's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Combats in the mid to late 80's
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next