BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 62 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 62 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Eagle at Mansergh Gate

Go down 
+6
davep
soprano54
mousey048
Goldmohur
Webmaster Phil
plant-pilot
10 posters
AuthorMessage
plant-pilot
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : R.Sigs/RE
Places Served : Lippstadt, Gütersloh, Herford, Hameln
Registration date : 2007-03-08

Eagle at Mansergh Gate Empty
PostSubject: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime8/3/2007, 20:50

In the photos of Mansergh Bks it states that the eagle was fount about 10 years ago when a vehicle backed into it.

I served with 47 Fd Regt (attached) back in the mid 1980s and the eagle was discovered then. That's over 20 years ago. My memory may be fading after years of testing the local Pils, but I'm sure that it was discovered after a REME 434 lost its steering coming back off a road test, slowing down enough for the wall to stop it, but not enough to stop it uncovering the stone eagle.

Eagle at Mansergh Gate Guters10
Back to top Go down
Webmaster Phil
WOII
WOII
Webmaster Phil

Number of posts : 92
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Bielefeld

PostSubject: Mansergh Bks   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime10/3/2007, 11:00

Cheers Plant Pot. I'm on the case!

Webmaster
Back to top Go down
https://bfg-locations.editboard.com
Goldmohur
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 93
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Gutersloh, Duisburg, Bracht, Rheindahlen. Also Non BAOR, Blackdown, Corsham. Shoeburyness, Ty Croes, Aden, Bicester.
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Mansergh Barracks Gutersloh   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime10/3/2007, 14:16

I believe that the barracks was occupied by the RAF until Sep 61 when 36 Hy AD Regt RA arrived from Shoeburyness as a consequence of the building of the Berlin Wall. We stayed until about Nov 61 when I think 22 Lt AD Regt RA moved in.

Also there was a Luftwaffe Training unit and a school for the children of British servicemen.

We were very impressed with the accommodation and with Gutersloh when compared with the Victorian slums of Horseshoe Barracks Shoeburyness.

There was much speculation concerning the origin and use of the barracks during the 3rd Reich years. Has anyone got any information on this topic please?
Back to top Go down
plant-pilot
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime11/3/2007, 16:15

I was always told that during its time as a Luftwaffe camp Mansergh was a Luftwaffe flak camp, used to train mobile anti aircraft crews, and as a small training airfield. The area behind Kings School being a very large and flat grass landing area before it was built on after the war.

However, as I say I only have hear say and rumor to base that on rather than any real evidence. It would be good to know the truth of the matter.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster Phil
WOII
WOII
Webmaster Phil

Number of posts : 92
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Bielefeld

PostSubject: Gutersloh   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime12/3/2007, 08:03

There is a guy called Tony who works on the gate at PRB. He told me of a very old book (written in English) that is available, detailing the camps there. I need to find the time to go back and see him. It was also mentioned that Mansergh was used to train the Luftwaffe clerical staff. Wait out!
Back to top Go down
https://bfg-locations.editboard.com
plant-pilot
Sgt
Sgt

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime12/3/2007, 10:57

Admin wrote:
There is a guy called Tony who works on the gate at PRB. He told me of a very old book (written in English) that is available, detailing the camps there. I need to find the time to go back and see him. It was also mentioned that Mansergh was used to train the Luftwaffe clerical staff. Wait out!

It is possible that that was one of the roles of the camp, but there are an awful lot of garages just to teach clerks. Mind you, that could account for most of the blocks being on only 2 floors..... don't want too many stairs for the little darlings Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mousey048
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : forces
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: gutersloh   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime30/3/2007, 18:00

there is a book called" flugplatz gutersloh" by gerry lewis which is in english and gives a history mainly of PRB, but also mentions mansergh barracks, and has some good photos.
Back to top Go down
Herr Bra

PostSubject: Mansergh Barracks   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime13/12/2007, 10:34

Guys hi,

The camp was a signals camp when the Americans entered it from the autobahn.

This camp was in support of Princess Royal Barracks (Luftwaffe Camp) on the otherside of town.

Hope some of this helps.

PS - My first post, great site and very informative.
Back to top Go down
Waynster

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime24/4/2008, 20:59

My Father worked at Gutersloh in the post office around 60-62 - I think he also ended up running the bar at the transfer station there. He has loads of stories, including having a bust up with a minor royal family member for queue jumping ("I don't care if you are the duke of whatever, you are a first lieutenant in the Hussars - now get to the back of the queue!")

I myself landed there in 1992 en route to Dortmund with the HAC - it was a real treat to see where he had served but sadly I didn't get to see much of the place
Back to top Go down
Archibal

PostSubject: Schnellweg - Mansergh to PRB   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime4/5/2008, 00:13

Hello all,
I've just discovered this site and have naturally looked at all the information on the Bks I've served at in Germany. Having been with 1 AAC at PRB myself (this century), and having had friends at Mansergh Bks and having made some good German friends in a local (non-squaddie) bar, I was intrigued by rumours (I emphasise this word as I am not gullible enough to be 'sucked into' such stories lock, stock and barrel) that there is a tunnel system joining the 2 camps (going under the town). The most convincing version of the story was that German officers were accommodated and trained/briefed etc at Mansergh and the tunnel was a quick and safe means of access to PRB for their duties.

I was initially very sceptical and still am, having firstly been told by an old, old ex-squaddie now living in the area who I assumed was pulling my leg - however I have since heard various versions from many locals in the area.

Can anyone shed any light on this or is it an urban myth or FOAF (Friend Of A Friend) tale?

On a similar note (though probably not posted in the right place):

I'd be intrigued to know, as I have previously served in Osnabrück and have heard similar stories regarding Roberts Bks and several locations in and around the city. As far as the story goes in Os, I was 'informed' that there are a lot of natural underground springs, streams and caves that are inter-connected and sprawl all the way north from Os up to the Alfsee area! Supposedly the Germans used some of these to their advantage - although not all the way to the Alf-lake... or maybe not.
I seem to remember a story about a man's body being last seen floating in a pond in Bramsche (what - 15km north of Osnarück?) and disappearing... only to emerge months later in Alfsee. Hmm... the mind boggles!
...anyone?
Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime4/5/2008, 16:29

Archibal wrote:
Hello all,
I've just discovered this site and have naturally looked at all the information on the Bks I've served at in Germany. Having been with 1 AAC at PRB myself (this century), and having had friends at Mansergh Bks and having made some good German friends in a local (non-squaddie) bar, I was intrigued by rumours (I emphasise this word as I am not gullible enough to be 'sucked into' such stories lock, stock and barrel) that there is a tunnel system joining the 2 camps (going under the town). The most convincing version of the story was that German officers were accommodated and trained/briefed etc at Mansergh and the tunnel was a quick and safe means of access to PRB for their duties.

I was initially very sceptical and still am, having firstly been told by an old, old ex-squaddie now living in the area who I assumed was pulling my leg - however I have since heard various versions from many locals in the area.

Can anyone shed any light on this or is it an urban myth or FOAF (Friend Of A Friend) tale?

On a similar note (though probably not posted in the right place):

I'd be intrigued to know, as I have previously served in Osnabrück and have heard similar stories regarding Roberts Bks and several locations in and around the city. As far as the story goes in Os, I was 'informed' that there are a lot of natural underground springs, streams and caves that are inter-connected and sprawl all the way north from Os up to the Alfsee area! Supposedly the Germans used some of these to their advantage - although not all the way to the Alf-lake... or maybe not.
I seem to remember a story about a man's body being last seen floating in a pond in Bramsche (what - 15km north of Osnarück?) and disappearing... only to emerge months later in Alfsee. Hmm... the mind boggles!
...anyone?

Archibal I'd take all those/these stories of tunnel systems, underground hospitals and buried tanks with a pinch of salt! Suspect There are quite a few camps on this site where similar things are mentioned ie tunnels and buried tanks Barker at Paderborn, underground hospital in Northampton at 'Woofers' and best of all the underground 'Autobahn' system that went from 'Falling-Bar-Stool' to Calais................I wish!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Archibal

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime4/5/2008, 18:51

soprano54,

thanks for your reply to my post - it's pretty much what I expected Smile
I don't take such tales and rumours seriously, but nevertheless find them interesting for what they are.

Is there any truth in any of this (where do rumours start in the first place?), however I believe you are probably right about the pinch of salt perspective!

Not that I want to tread on anyone's toes here, but surely this line of interest would make a good entry on the sites 'Urban Legends, Folklore, Myths, Rumours, and Misinformation' link?

Anyway, I'm off to get my sharkeye & shovel... there's a bricked-up wall in the QM's cellar...
Back to top Go down
davep
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime3/1/2018, 16:14

Hi There,

I know this is a very old post etc. But I just stumbled across it.

I was stationed at Mansergh from 1989 to 1994 and I still live in Gütersloh. The "Tunnel" does actually exist. There are two entrances, one which is under the at the time training wing from the Royal Artillery who were stationed there and the other is in the cellar from the officers mess. I have personally seen them.

Within the Officers mess there is still memorabilia from the Germans, i.e. the wooden wall paneling with "quotes" engraved in them also in the cellar on the beams are engraved quotes. It is just a shame that the barracks will be sold this year, and that all this history will vanish i.e. be destroyed.

The other interesting part is that I once spoke to an ex b110 pilot who back then lost an arm, who later (before he passed away) had a toy store in Gütersloh, and he also told me that there was another tunnel but from PRB to somewhere in a forested area in Brackwede, since this is where they stored extra fuel and ammunition. Also that the airfield was "flooded" when it was not in use so that the air recon would not realise what it really was.

Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 135
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime3/1/2018, 21:46

It does not surprise me. Both sides built underground and NOT merely tunnels. My uncle-in-law was bussed from Bath for one of three eight hour shifts -daily- building massive u/g site. That was the technology of the time. I wasn't there of course.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime5/1/2018, 14:29

plant-pilot wrote:
In the photos of Mansergh Bks it states that the eagle was fount about 10 years ago when a vehicle backed into it.

I served with 47 Fd Regt (attached) back in the mid 1980s and the eagle was discovered then. That's over 20 years ago. My memory may be fading after years of testing the local Pils, but I'm sure that it was discovered after a REME 434 lost its steering coming back off a road test, slowing down enough for the wall to stop it, but not enough to stop it uncovering the stone eagle.

Eagle at Mansergh Gate Guters10

I remember it well, my claim to fame was, as the MTO at the time, I completed the FMT 3 (In red). I also recall the one armed guy who owned the toy shop in town - my son used to spend his hard earned pocket money there on Marklin train accessories.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 652
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime1/3/2018, 23:55

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime18/10/2019, 14:15

Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime18/10/2019, 18:23

Interesting read and videos. I'll have to get my wife to tell me what's being said. My German is only good enough to get into trouble, but not to get out of it.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime18/10/2019, 20:00

with a bit of luck the report will appear here: https://www.forces.net/?utm

translated of course. Bielefeld next . . .
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime22/10/2019, 09:26

Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime20/7/2020, 07:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxMxih_rt8&feature=youtu.be

Stadt Guetersloh have engaged various experts to decide what the future of Mansergh Barracks should be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eagle at Mansergh Gate   Eagle at Mansergh Gate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eagle at Mansergh Gate
Page 1 of 1