BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

General Purpose Army Vehicles.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
unclevanya
Maj
Maj
unclevanya

Number of posts : 230
Cap Badge : R Sigs
Places Served : 11 Sigs Vimy 'C' Catterick Nov 1963), 224 (Radio) Sig Squadron Garrats Hey, Quorn Leics( Jan-June 1964), 16 Sigs Bradbury Barracks Krefeld July-Oct 1964), 28 (BR) Sigs St Tonis & 4 Squadron, Tongeren (Cafe Maddy) (1964-1968), HQ UNFICYP Nicosia 6 month tour (1966), HMS Jufair & Hamala Camp Bahrien, 223 Sig Sqn (Radio) Winchester, Norn Ireland, HQ Northag Kolsas Olso Norway, 11 Sigs Helles Lines Catterick, Civvy Street 1977, Retired (Grumpy Victor Meldrew 2012)
Registration date : 2012-07-15

General Purpose Army Vehicles. Empty
PostSubject: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime29/10/2014, 23:40

Which were the better vehicles used by the Army over the past 40 or so years? Were the old Bedford 3 Tonner vehicles used by many units more robust and easier to maintain than the Bedford vehicles that replaced them in the later years, and those that are used today. I seem to recall in cold weather, the air activated braking system on the Bedfords often seized up, causing much discomfort to anyone riding in the back. Of course there were no seat belts in them even in the drivers cab.

Are the vehicles today easier to drive with all the upgrades over the years? As for the smaller vehicles, did anyone drive Austin champs in the 1960s. I seem to recall them being used by squadron commanders as personal vehicles when I was first posted to 28 (BR) Sigs at St Tonis in Germany. These were gradually withdrawn and replaced with short and long wheeled Landrovers.

It was strange at 28 Sigs in the mid 1960s, we were still using German Ford boxbody trucks that had been used by the German army during the war 20 years after it ended.

Oh how these memories come back, some good, some bad particularly some of the mad drivers in the unit who somehow managed to wind the long wheel based Landies up to around 70 or 80 miles an hour on the autobahns, or were they capable of being driven at that speed? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime1/11/2014, 15:43

We did have at least one Champ down at Marchwood covered the Port Admin area but mainly I think used as a runabout
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime2/11/2014, 13:17

As a Boy Soldier I learned to drive in a Champ, I think at that time (1962) they were on their way out being replaced in most Regular regiments with the Land Rover. The Bedford RL was, in my opinion, pretty useless, driver and passenger comfort was greatly improved with the introduction of the MK in the early 70s.
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 135
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick
Registration date : 2012-03-19

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime2/11/2014, 21:04

As I recall the Champ had a RR engine which was only serviceable by Bielefeld,(maybe REME). iT WAS A BEAUTIFUL THING TO DRIVE. OSSIFERS LOVED IT. and in my Gds bde unit only NS could keep it on the Road. They were, generally more eduacated than us. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime4/11/2014, 17:47

Most of my early service (1951 - 57) it was the Willys Ford or Jeep as it was generally named. Bloody things could just about climb walls, did everything from Signals Dispatch to field line work. On joining the TA in the 60's we used the Champ initially and as stated officers loved it. Of course they did not to have to drive it off road line laying down some of the impossible grades we encountered, thats when the RR engine became a hazard for many a Signals Liney due to its weight which made it unmanageable and could in extreme cases cause it to 'cartwheel' .... tell me about it. Its crew capacity was also limited for a line crew. By about 1963 they were withdrawn from line use and replaced by the more practical Land Rover.
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

Places Served : Catterick Newark Aldershot 201Shorncliffe WinterbourneGunner TOS SHARJAH Bunde 249 Singapore NE Thailand Aldershot Catterick

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime4/11/2014, 21:27

Hi Ciphers, When I joined my first working unit in Shorncliffe, Folkstone  in 1959 Easter the unit had lots of odd vehicles; including champs, half-tracks of some vintage, Ferrets and Sarisons, motorbikes and a Bugler ("come to the cookhouse door"). I think they were the remnants of your Suez op ? not forgetting the Eye Flash. !!!
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime4/11/2014, 21:44

By the way Ciphers, when you were in Japan did you visit the Palace of the 7 Heavens. I heard a tale which led me to think that it was related to Zen or something of that nature. Apparently Westerns only got as far as the first Heaven. Could you possibly comment ?
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime4/11/2014, 22:36

Hi Dulaigh, I was in Japan in 1954/5 on attachment to the Aussies in Kure and doing the odd courier run to my home base in Seoul (Biritcom Z Signals Sqn). Unfortunately I never strayed too far from the Nakadori/Hondori bar scene so the cultural opportunities that abounded in Japan were lost on me.
Zen that's another story if you will excuse the pun.

I was surprised that on the Suez do what good shape our equipment was in, then again we never got off the ship - I was hoping that as I was in 1st Guards Bde we would get into a bit of action .. closest we got was the Gut in Valletta.
Back to top Go down
Dulaigh
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime4/11/2014, 23:12

Well taken ciphers, I had a great mentor, Neil McGinn who was the Brigs Wop and L at the time and after Korea he rejoined Civvy St. However, he was completely pissed off by the banality and felt he had to rejoin the Mob. We had many nice pints in the Black Bull in Salisbury which had a beautiful carpet and a Barmaid with well flavoured Tits and the comfort of the Coal Fire and Carpet was very beguiling to myself. He had been the Brigs op in Korea and ,unfortunately, the Brig drove himself and Neil into extreme positions...often the Gooks had overrun the home positions and after beating a hasty retreat Neil (in the back with a morse key and headphones) experienced the bullets flying. I believe he suffered PTSD. He was an artist Morse Telegraphist. He regaled me with tales of his Uncles coming out of the Pub and pissing in the street in Fife (I think) which was the Norm at the time.
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime5/11/2014, 01:53

Yes, they didn't get flush toilets until 1984 I believe.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime5/11/2014, 11:23

Think they are still doing it - Gordon will know!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Purpose Army Vehicles.   General Purpose Army Vehicles. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Purpose Army Vehicles.
Page 1 of 1