BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» The Black Watch
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Old Soldiers over 80
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 09:42 by Dulaigh

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

» Anyone know Capt C Maynard, REME, Duisburg 1958-61?
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 16:07 by Zloty

» 1 SSM Battery patch
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 15:02 by Hardrations

» BAOR Bank Notes
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 14:05 by JGW

» Volkswagen WRAC
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime26/2/2024, 09:03 by Sinclair

» Peter Donovan
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 22:12 by Donovans

» 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 21:50 by Donovans

» POW STALAG XID 357 in Fallingbostel
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime22/2/2024, 20:06 by alan8376

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 60 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 60 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn

Go down 
+14
Les Pattenden
Mike_2817
dandc
brrowe
jim
brum
brian beckett
clive1
recce83
Brian Holmes
Paul
Stephen Lock
BobG
donald
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
donald
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 156
Cap Badge : 1st The Royal Dragoons - The Blues and Royals (RHG/D)
Places Served : UK,BOAR,Egypt
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Empty
PostSubject: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime19/6/2008, 15:43

I'm trying to find the exact location of the Windmill Cafe,which I used quite often when stationed in BAOR.I seem to recall it was on the Autobahn between Braunsweig and Hannover,is there anyone who recalls where it was?
----
Don study
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime19/6/2008, 16:48

Donald,
It was located on the A2 autobahn ( Hannover to Dortmund) between Wiedenbruck and Beckum at Rastatte Valern, on some maps it still shows the windmill symbol.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime19/6/2008, 23:19

Was that the YMCA Windmill? Good lord, seeing it mentioned brought back a flood of memories...buried in some box somewhere I have a souvenir plate of the joint. My parents and I often stopped there enroute to where ever it was we were travelling.

As I recall, it was one of the few places slightly homesick Canadians could find an almost Canadian meal of hamburgers and fries or pancakes.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Windmill Cafe   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime20/6/2008, 00:02

Don,

cheers Found it cheers - it was really getting up my nose that I had seen a reference to this on the main site.

Take a look at:-

http://baor-locations.co.uk/autobahn.aspx

Paul.
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime20/6/2008, 13:52

Well only you service guys could come up with such quick and efficient info.Many thanks,if you're ever in the Detmold area the Herforder or Detmolder is on me!
----
Don
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/6/2008, 22:31

Paul wrote:
Don,

cheers Found it cheers - it was really getting up my nose that I had seen a reference to this on the main site.

Take a look at:-

http://baor-locations.com/autobahn.aspx

Paul.

Great shots. What a shame it is yet another site that has faced the demolition ball! It was a unique place and should have been preserved, IMHO...perhaps as a Rastatte gasthof or even continue on as a restaurant.
Back to top Go down
Brian Holmes
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : R.A.O.C.
Places Served : Elles Barracks Detmold 1960-64. Ord
Registration date : 2008-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime22/1/2009, 12:39

Had a few good stops at the Windmill on the stores run from 20 OFP Detmold to Vierson and back. The Windmill was a welcome sight after sitting in a Leyand Hippo for hours on end at 29 mph on the autobahn

Brian
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime4/6/2009, 18:29

Does this ever bring back memories! It was always a convoy stop for us enroute to Hohne for fall concentration. However, unlike Stephen Lock, I don't remember hamburgers or anything other than the usual fare similar to that at the Dortmund YMCA. Maybe this was post-1965. Also a lot has been lost and forgotten in the mists of time and Glenfiddich. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this forum and I'm looking forward to chatting with old BAOR vets from those happy days.
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime5/6/2009, 15:36

I once had the honour of guesting the CO to a cup of tea and bun in the windmill cafe,I was taking him somewhere in the Humber Snipe as his driver was on leave!They certainly did'nt have any such thing as burgers in those days!But what they served tasted great when you'd been a few hours on the Autobahn.In those days you practically had the Autobahn to yourself!
-----
Don

PS we have a Windmill restaurant just outside of Detmold if you are ever in the area!
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime5/6/2009, 18:48

That's right, Don. Maybe those cheese buns sometimes resembled a 36 grenade in looks and texture, but we weren't very hard to please after a few hours of crushing boredom trundling along in convoy at a less than brisk 40 MPH.

Roderick
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime7/6/2009, 18:31

recce83 wrote:
Does this ever bring back memories! It was always a convoy stop for us enroute to Hohne for fall concentration. However, unlike Stephen Lock, I don't remember hamburgers or anything other than the usual fare similar to that at the Dortmund YMCA. Maybe this was post-1965. Also a lot has been lost and forgotten in the mists of time and Glenfiddich. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this forum and I'm looking forward to chatting with old BAOR vets from those happy days.

Hmmmm...perhaps there weren't hamburgers available after all. Memory can be a tricky thing, with memories of one place merging with those of another.

As I think more about stopping off at The Windmill with my parents, and after reading recce83's YMCA-oriented recollection, I now seem to recall he is quite right...the fare at The Windmill was very much "greasy spoon" YMCA fare! In fact, I believe my Mom used to refer to it as her favourite "greasy spoon" (an affectionate, rather homey term, not meant to be at all disparaging).

Chips and vinegar, come to mind, for instance. The smell of STRONG coffee in china mugs emblazoned with The YMCA logo (wish we'd swiped a couple of those), the din and clatter of dishes and conversation.
Back to top Go down
donald
WOI
WOI

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime8/6/2009, 15:39

Another well loved spot was the "Mushroom" Cafe situated on the road between Giforn and Luneburg.When we were stationed at Wesendorf it was a popular spot for soldiers and families alike,anyone remember?
-----
Don
Back to top Go down
clive1
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 16:12

Wot u might mean Steve were the Windmill's famous fried spam slices which sorta looked like hamburgers-along with iced NAAFI buns were truly food of the gods. My dad drove me,mum & sis to visit my Omma in Reklinghausen from Hohne & a visit to the Windmill was compulsory in the 50s& 60s. Unless I'm mistaken we would have paid in BAFS coz theGerman curency @ this time was well dodgy. I remember a 2 shilling note paid my weekly dinner money @ Caen school & the primary school opposite the Roundhouse in Hohne. The exchange rate was 18DMs to the £ when it did get on track. Clive
Back to top Go down
brian beckett
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 55
Cap Badge : rasc
Places Served : Tower of London(initially in Royal Fusiliers) Aldershot, Sennelager & RAF Bruggen
Registration date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 20:24

Wrong Clive. The rate of exchange in the late fifties was One pound & sixpence,old money,to 12DM. After 1961 the rate was in continual decline as the DM got stronger.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime27/7/2010, 20:39

Brian,

I bow to your knowledge of the rate of exchange "back then".

It was certainly twelve marks to the pound when I went out to Nienburg in '59.

If we wanted German money in those days we had to notify the Pay Cpl in advance and collect same, with our BAFVS, on Pay Parade.

"Pay and Book Correct, SAH !"

brum
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 04:24

Fried spam???? Good lord!! I'm surprised any Britons still exist, what with a diet of fried spam, chip butties, that gawdawful meat (?) spread thing (I forget the name of it), boiled veggies, Ovaltine, heavy (albeit delicious!) cakes and cookies for tea, etc. Sugar up the ying-yang....

But, yeah....the more I think about it the less sure I am of hamburgers at the Windmill. or pancakes for that matter....nope, hamburgers and pancakes weren't there but rather at the Howard Johnson's on the American Caserne in Frankfurt. Not sure how the memories became melded....must be early, uh, early, uhm, who's this again????

What I do remember is during our sojourn in Germany the exchange rate on DM to Canadian dollars was damn good....4 marks to the dollar. I have no idea how the Euro measures up, but in the 70's (and, maybe, in the early 60s during our first tour) we lived damn well being paid "Canadian" but using DM.

Hardrations can maybe speak to this with more authority than I can, given I was a child during our first tour (59-62) and a callow youth during our second (69-72) more interested in getting out of the house and down to the gasthofs and discos than I was in how much my dad was paid or in what.

And don't even get me started on the pound/shilling/pence thing....never did get the hang of that!

Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 08:48

When I was younger I remember the mark being 12 to the pound, when I joined and came back to Germany it was about 8 to the pound.

Nothing wrong with the old LSD Stephen, decent currency that was, and strong. Smile
Back to top Go down
brrowe
WOI
WOI
brrowe

Number of posts : 119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK/BAOR
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 10:06

It was twelve Marks to the pound when I was there too (1\8d in real money.)
Stirling worked out at about 20 pints to the pound, I seem to remember.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 11:54

My family never latched on to Spam, (an American product by the way) Stephen but a lot of families had to out of necessity. Don't forget, your Dad was in one of the best - paid armies in the world and we British were not.
Your lament about "boiled veggies", what do the Canadians do to veg then ? I know the Canucks have a reputation for being tough but surely they don't just nosh their veg raw ?
Chip butties ? National institution, don't knock it! You can eat anything on a butty, the greatest challenge being a runny fried egg !
"That godawful meat spread thing" I wonder if that's Marmite ? Widely used for spreading on a Ying Yang of course.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime28/7/2010, 13:15

would that be the Shippams meat paste then Setphen. Smile
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 05:06

jim wrote:
When I was younger I remember the mark being 12 to the pound, when I joined and came back to Germany it was about 8 to the pound.

Nothing wrong with the old LSD Stephen, decent currency that was, and strong. Smile

Wasn't suggesting there was anything 'wrong'....just confusing to one used to a decimal system (dollars and cents etc) and, yes, I recall pound sterling was one of the world's stronger currencies.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 05:13

brum wrote:
My family never latched on to Spam, (an American product by the way) Stephen but a lot of families had to out of necessity. Don't forget, your Dad was in one of the best - paid armies in the world and we British were not.
Your lament about "boiled veggies", what do the Canadians do to veg then ? I know the Canucks have a reputation for being tough but surely they don't just nosh their veg raw ?
Chip butties ? National institution, don't knock it! You can eat anything on a butty, the greatest challenge being a runny fried egg !
"That godawful meat spread thing" I wonder if that's Marmite ? Widely used for spreading on a Ying Yang of course.

No doubt many families did have to eat Spam out of necessity....I was just being funny (or trying to be).

Certainly raw veggies, depending on the veggie, are quite common (and very very good for you!) but, yes, Canadians do boil our veggies as well, we just don't boil the bejeebers out of them!

Raw veggies -- carrots, broccoli (which I personally detest!), cauliflower, asparagus, maybe a few others I can't think of.

Potatoes, peas, and such....yes, boiled but not to mush. :-)

Chip butties....I know they're virtually a "national institution" and I've had them myself and found them delicious...mind you, I swear I could hear my arteries clogging at the time.

Then again, I've seen grown (British) men turn green at the thought of peanut butter and banana sandwiches, so there you go! LOL

Marmite....yes!!! Never acquired a taste for it yet various friends of mine ate it like it was....well...peanut butter!!!
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 09:07

You're right about the boiling to death of veggies Stephen, that and adding something to the cabbage, can't remember what it was now. made a nice green cabbage go all white and anaemic. Fortunately my Mum wan't English so we always ate proper food.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 09:49

Boiled to mush ?
Anaemic cabbage ?
Raw veggies ?
Green British men ?
Hallo all stations, this is ZERO,
MINIMIZE,
I SAY AGAIN ,
MINIMIZE,
OVER !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 10:41

Raw is the only way to eat veggies.If you are going to boil them up,you are much better off drinking the water than eating the mush that is left
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next