BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 57 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 57 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn

Go down 
+14
Les Pattenden
Mike_2817
dandc
brrowe
jim
brum
brian beckett
clive1
recce83
Brian Holmes
Paul
Stephen Lock
BobG
donald
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 12:11

We steam them. Smile

LOL Brum.
Back to top Go down
dandc
Lt Col
Lt Col
dandc

Number of posts : 383
Cap Badge : 15/19H.ARMY AIR CORPS
Places Served : tidworth, fallingbostle, detmold, hongkong, minden
Registration date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 16:21

from "windmill cafe on the autobahn" to boiled ,steamed or raw veggies,what a change of thread,[ ps, just close your eyes and eat them and keep the wife happy]
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

Number of posts : 643
Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 17:00

Never boiled our veg to mush at home, nor in most of the cookhouses and/or messes I ate at Stephen.

Fish & Chips is a national takeaway dish here in the UK, and is no longer cooked in beef dripping but vegitable oil.

Best way to cook vegitables is 'Al Dente' Meaning, Boiled or Steamed so as to be firm but not hard, and should be interpreted as cooking them just until they lose their raw taste, and as a way to avoid overcooking them!

You most be thinking of BFG School Dinners mate!

Back to the Windmill Cafe' never had the plesure to ever visit it sadly to say.

FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime29/7/2010, 17:47

Stephen,

I have a question.

On our R&R from BATUS, a while back, we wandered toward Calgary and beyond. The first thing we noticed was men wearing cowboy hats, the second thing was fat- arsed women, I mean seriously fat !

If that's what the Canadian diet does to you then I'm putting my Christmas sprouts on to boil now !

Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime30/7/2010, 09:16

dandc wrote:
from "windmill cafe on the autobahn" to boiled ,steamed or raw veggies,what a change of thread,[ ps, just close your eyes and eat them and keep the wife happy]

I know, we're not very disciplined for ex Army types are we. LOL. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

Number of posts : 937
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/7/2010, 19:48

Mike_2817 wrote:
Never boiled our veg to mush at home, nor in most of the cookhouses and/or messes I ate at Stephen.

Fish & Chips is a national takeaway dish here in the UK, and is no longer cooked in beef dripping but vegitable oil.

Best way to cook vegitables is 'Al Dente' Meaning, Boiled or Steamed so as to be firm but not hard, and should be interpreted as cooking them just until they lose their raw taste, and as a way to avoid overcooking them!

You most be thinking of BFG School Dinners mate!

Back to the Windmill Cafe' never had the plesure to ever visit it sadly to say.

Aaaaaagghhh....!!!! affraid Don't even get me started on BFG School dinners!!!

I attended Cornwall Comprehensive in Dortmund for a year and was -- well,shocked actually, at the quality (or lack thereof) of the school lunches. Dreadful. Disgusting, actually. Evil evil stuff!!! I can still wake up screaming over them LOL
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/7/2010, 19:54

brum wrote:
Stephen,

I have a question.

On our R&R from BATUS, a while back, we wandered toward Calgary and beyond. The first thing we noticed was men wearing cowboy hats, the second thing was fat- arsed women, I mean seriously fat !

If that's what the Canadian diet does to you then I'm putting my Christmas sprouts on to boil now !

Eheheheh....the cowboy hats were probably because we were in the midst of our annual Calgary Stampede where everyone and their dog, it seems, turns into a cowboy/cowgirl for 10 days. Those of us who have lived here for any length of time try and get out of the city during that period!!

As for the fat-arsed women....yes, especially out in the suburbs. Not sure what that is about. Too many McDonald's hamburgers, fast food in general, and Slurpees (a high sugar beverage dispensed out of a machine that mixes flavoured syrup in with mushed up ice...I work in a store that sells these things and I call it Liquid Crack!! And, yes, many of the woman who waddle in...well, let's just say the last thing they need is an 861 ml of Slurpee!!!)

Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime31/7/2010, 19:57

jim wrote:
dandc wrote:

I know, we're not very disciplined for ex Army types are we. LOL. Very Happy

I'll take the fall for that one....steering everyone off topic! Who knew there'd be such a reaction to a mild criticism, meant as goodnatured digging, about British culinary arts!!!

(Vastly improved, by the way, in recent decades....)
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 11:02

The food at PRS was great Stephen, (may I call you that now we are the same grade? Very Happy )

I liked Calgary, I had some good weekends out there, great place and full of fun.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 12:29

That will cost you a drink when we met in a few weeks Jim, or I will demote you to Private LoL

Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 13:02

Might not be happening now Mike I'm afraid, family problems with my Father in Law. Colleen is seeing if we can cancel the apartment we booked. Sad
Back to top Go down
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Stephen Lock

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 18:59

jim wrote:
The food at PRS was great Stephen, (may I call you that now we are the same grade? Very Happy )

I liked Calgary, I had some good weekends out there, great place and full of fun.

You certainly may, Jim! I am not at all a formal sort of guy! bounce

Uhm....what is "PRS".....acronyms, especially military-oriented ones, always tend to throw me a bit.

Glad you liked Calgary. I've lived here since 1973 and, while it is now "home" it really is NOT the city I thought I'd be spending the majority of my life living in!!

When I first got to Calgary, after my dad's tour in Germany, I was aghast at how...I don't know....blah the city was.

It was a summer of drought that year, for one thing, and so nothing was green or abundant like I was used to overseas.

There just didn't seem to be any sense of history or continuity; in fact, Calgary is notorious for demolishing anything that was, or could become, historical or architecturally interesting in favour of some gawdawful glass and steel monolith (which Thomas Wolfe, in his book From Bauhaus to Our House, described as 'German worker housing stacked end on end'....great description). It still does that, sad to say. Others have described our downtown as "recently uncrated". Looks fantastic from a distance with these sparkling glass towers nestled along the river valley, but desolate when in amongst them.

On the upside, however, your average Calgarian is friendly, hospitable, helpful, and relaxed (by and large. It is a corporate-oriented city after all!!).

I know when some of the boys come in to town from Suffield (talk about desolate!!!), they seem to enjoy themselves immensely. And there are parts of the city that are quite conducive to young guys having a good time.
Back to top Go down
Mike_2817
LE Maj
LE Maj
Mike_2817

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime2/8/2010, 22:06

jim wrote:
Might not be happening now Mike I'm afraid, family problems with my Father in Law. Colleen is seeing if we can cancel the apartment we booked. Sad

I understand mate. These things happen.

Hope things work out OK.

Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/8/2010, 15:50

Ah yes Stephen, Suffield was erm... empty. LOL

Still you had the joys of Medicine Hat and the sin bin. Smile

PRS = Prince Rupert's School, Wilhelmshaven.
KAS = King Alfred's School Plön.
Hamm = Windsor Boys and Girls in er.... Hamm, why we never called it Windsor I can't think.
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/11/2011, 00:00

When I first arrived in Germany I think it was 14.50 to the pound, that was 67 then just a little while later we had devaluation and it suddenly dropped to 8.50 which was ok when shopping in the NAAFI but when trying to shop outside it became quite expensive, it wasn't long before they brought in a higher LOA to compensate. Mind you for a few months it certainly suited some people

Les
Back to top Go down
jimsigs1
Let Gen
Let Gen
jimsigs1

Number of posts : 1298
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Harrogate 1949-52. HQ BAOR Sig Regt 1952-54, Korea 1954-55, Egypt 1955, Cyprus 1955-57, HMS Santon 1957, UK 7th Hussars 1957-59, 1st Gds Bde 1959-60, 201 Signal Sqn 1960-62, 206 Sig Sqn 1962-63, 7 Sig Regt 1963-66, 249 Sig Sqn 1966-68, 11 Sig Regt 1968-72. Retired 1972
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/11/2011, 21:16

Bit late for my reply but | remember the ROE being £1/0/6 for 12DM. At that time, we could only exchange 12DM from BAFV's as there seem to be a restriction at that time on our spending. Anyway, we only got £3/3/6 as a LCpl. I know before anyone moans, the NS soldiers only got 28shillings a week.

Jimsigs1
Back to top Go down
Ian
WOII
WOII

Number of posts : 95
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : UK, BAOR,BATUS
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Suffield   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime15/11/2011, 22:12

jim wrote:
Ah yes Stephen, Suffield was erm... empty. LOL

Still you had the joys of Medicine Hat and the sin bin. Smile

PRS = Prince Rupert's School, Wilhelmshaven.
KAS = King Alfred's School Plön.
Hamm = Windsor Boys and Girls in er.... Hamm, why we never called it Windsor I can't think.
Suffield is/was NOT empty......I live here.........
Back to top Go down
Ken RIMMELL
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime4/11/2017, 19:34

As Duty driver stationed at Tela Barracks Ratigen from 1961til 63 spent many stops at the Windmil enroute to Hannover ,always remember it was a nice place to stop in winter after hours on the Autobahn the heating in the Old VW Beetles was next to useless, I think Mug of tea and a bacon or sausage in a roll was the most ordered grub Lol.
Back to top Go down
Parky
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2018-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime23/1/2018, 14:19

I remember the exch rate as 11.22 to the £ and then it dropped to 9.60 and LOA was increased to allow for that. When I finished in Willich the rate was 4.50 ish. Boy, did the £ take a hit.
I do recall the WVRS van calling at all the sites on Saltau even when we were "Tac", but they knew where every troop or section was harboured up.
The only thing hot on the van when it got round to us was the mustard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn   Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2