BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
» Merry Christmas
Yesterday at 20:08 by steve

» REME In Germany 1946
Yesterday at 18:32 by D.Rudolph

» Civil Internment Camp No 2?
14/12/2018, 14:24 by Pborn4

» Reinsalen
14/12/2018, 10:22 by JPW

» Hobart Barracks - Detmold
11/12/2018, 18:04 by Cyr

» 5 Infantry Division Ordnance Field Park
10/12/2018, 11:50 by daysj72

» Prix Leclerc History Question
10/12/2018, 04:29 by Richard king

» Army Boxing Team - Germany 1967
7/12/2018, 13:29 by Shelldrake

» Info and or help needed - Osnabrück 1967
6/12/2018, 20:20 by daysj72

» Extradition to Poland
6/12/2018, 12:08 by Pborn4

» Name of Barracks in Varrel, Germany in 1940s
1/12/2018, 11:55 by JPW

» Emilien Strasse
28/11/2018, 17:31 by Alec Powell

» Help identifying a badge/patch
27/11/2018, 23:07 by airdave

» Amendments to BAOR locations website
26/11/2018, 15:38 by Brewins Girl

» Bad Oeynhausen
24/11/2018, 13:14 by Signalsdaughter

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
December 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

The British in Westfalen exhibition Herford 2019

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pborn4
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 193
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: The British in Westfalen exhibition Herford 2019   22/7/2018, 19:36

A touring exhibition will be at these venues:

From
26 Aug 18 Mindener Stadt Museum
28 Oct 18 City Archives Hamm
13 Jan 19 Ermschertal Museum Herne
17 Mar 19 Historisches Museum Bielefeld
19 May 19 Städtisches Museum Herford
21 Jul 19 Kreismuseum Wewelsburg (nr Paderborn)

The value of the exhibition could be enhanced if local Vets contribute their
memorabilia, photos or verbal memories (contact bettina-blum@web.de)
(exhibition starts to build around 6 days before date shown)

A virtual tour with highlights of the original Paderborn exhibition are on-line here:

www.paderborner-konversion.de/briten-westfalen/virtueller-rundgang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pborn4
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 193
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: History of British in Germany    10/10/2018, 16:30

Research on the History of the British in Germany

(The first exhibition covered the Brits in Westfalen and was shown at Paderborn and is now on Tour

26 Aug 18    Mindener Stadt Museum
28 Oct 18    City Archives Hamm
13 Jan 19     Ermschertal Museum Herne
17 Mar 19     Historisches Museum Bielefeld
19 May 19    Städtisches Museum Herford
21 Jul 19      Kreismuseum Wewelsburg (nr Paderborn))

A second special exhibition is to open 4 May - 2 June 2019 in the Land Parliament (Landtag) in Duesseldorf - Bettina is keen to borrow exhibits that cover British life in the occupation of the Rhine-land and afterwards - Aachen/Cologne/Duesseldorf/Bonn  - the airports, and including the JSLO Villa Spiritus, Church House Cologne, BFBS Cologne (BFPO 19),  Royal Navy in Krefeld, CCG (BE), and also JHQ Rheindahlen and the Grape Pickers (Adventure Training), as well as NAAFI and Toc H, Church Army Canteens and Bookshops of CVWW)

Dr. Bettina Blum ∙ bettina-blum@web.de
Universität Paderborn ∙ Historisches Institut - Arbeitsbereich Zeitgeschichte ∙ Warburger Str. 100 ∙ 33098 Paderborn
Postal address: Stadt- und Kreisarchiv Paderborn ∙ z. Hd. Bettina Blum ∙ Pontanusstr. 55 ∙ 33102 Paderborn[/center

The British in North Rhine Westphalia / Germany   -   Dr. Bettina Blum, Paderborn University

The Project

I am a historian and was responsible for the exhibition “The British in Westphalia” which was shown in Paderborn in winter 2017/18 – a smaller version is now travelling through Westphalia (please find more information on www.briten-in-westfalen.de]; or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BriteninWestfalen/)

Following the success of this project, a new exhibition will be presented at the State Parliament of North Rhine Westphalia in Düsseldorf from 4 May until 2 June 2019. It will focus on the varied and changing relationships between members of the British Forces and German communities from the end of the war until today. It will include experiences from Brits and Germans in the Rhineland, especially in the areas of Düsseldorf, Cologne, Bonn and JHQ Rheindahlen.

I also hope to be able to carry out a research project together with Paderborn Universit,y which will cover the whole area of BAOR/BFG.

In my research, I don’t concentrate on military history nor on political history (although both aspects are part of the story), but on the history built on memories and experiences of people – of soldiers and officers as well as of wives and children and of course of their German neighbours, colleagues and friends.  From the feedback we are getting, we realised how many interesting customs, hobbies and exchanges the British presence brought to Germany – and how many customs and encounters have influenced the British communities here.

What I am looking for:

As this is a joint Anglo-German history I try to capture both British and German perspectives and to add as much variety, depth and colour to the exhibition and research project as possible. Therefore I am looking for your experiences and memories: I’m very much interested in personal memories and I would be happy to conduct interviews or learn about personal experiences via email.
And I am looking for photos (slides, prints, negatives and film/video), maps, postcards, personal letters, commentaries, event programmes, trophies and all kinds of memorabilia – to borrow for the exhibition, to copy and to return or to keep them in a museum as a memory for future generations:
- Life in the Rheinland, especially at JHQ, and the BFES Schools and boarding schools
- Experiences and Memorabilia from Germany; visits to a Schützenfest, Karneval, Christmas markets or other events
- Gymkhana and pony club camps or other summer entertainments; Scout and Girl Guide camps
- Polo or Rugby matches; Anglo-German sport events
- Church Life in Germany
- British family life in Germany, living in married quarters, moving, visits to West and East Berlin or to other places in Germany
- Daily military life (e.g. pace sticks, rules how to behave in an officers’ mess, rules or documents concerning parades or exercises, the mirror to look for bombs)
- Exercises and exercise damage; troops on farmyards and encounters with the local population
- Soldiers who went to share Christmas with local families
- Anglo-German events, friendships with Germans or German clubs
- Amateur dramatic societies and their annual pantomime; British or Anglo-German choirs
- Maps (especially Facility Maps, maps of the British zone or garrison towns, exercise maps etc)
- Booklets for British families explaining the history and the facilities in Germany/the areas and towns they are posted to, the customs and local by-laws
- Documents relating to the evacuation of families in case of war
- Anything concerning Soxmis and Brixmis

It is not important if you have one or more photos/objects you might wish to share or if you just wish to tell a story - I am very grateful for any help. And I’m happy to answer any questions about the project or myself.

Please contact me at: bettina-blum@web.de
Thank you very much!

Last edited by Pborn4 on 11/11/2018, 00:47; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : contact Typos updates)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The British in Westfalen exhibition Herford 2019
Page 1 of 1