BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
October 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

The British in Westfalen exhibition Herford 2019

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pborn4
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 182
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: The British in Westfalen exhibition Herford 2019   22/7/2018, 19:36

A touring exhibition will be at these venues:

From
26 Aug 18 Mindener Stadt Museum
28 Oct 18 City Archives Hamm
13 Jan 19 Ermschertal Museum Herne
17 Mar 19 Historisches Museum Bielefeld
19 May 19 Städtisches Museum Herford
21 Jul 19 Kreismuseum Wewelsburg (nr Paderborn)

The value of the exhibition could be enhanced if local Vets contribute their
memorabilia, photos or verbal memories (contact bettina-blum@web.de)
(exhibition starts to build around 6 days before date shown)

A virtual tour with highlights of the original Paderborn exhibition are on-line here:

www.paderborner-konversion.de/briten-westfalen/virtueller-rundgang
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pborn4
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 182
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The British in Westfalen exhibition Herford 2019   10/10/2018, 16:30

Research on the History of the British in Germany

(The first exhibition covered the Brits in Westfalen and was shown at Paderborn and is now on Tour

26 Aug 18    Mindener Stadt Museum
28 Oct 18    City Archives Hamm
13 Jan 19     Ermschertal Museum Herne
17 Mar 19     Historisches Museum Bielefeld
19 May 19    Städtisches Museum Herford
21 Jul 19 Kreismuseum Wewelsburg (nr Paderborn))

(A second special exhibition is to open May 2019 in the Land Parliament in Duesseldorf - Bettina is keen to borrow exhibits that cover British life in the Rhine land - Aachen/Cologne/Duesseldorf/Bonn  - the airports, and
including the JSLO, Church House Cologne, Royal Navy in Krefeld, CCG (BE), and even JHQ Rheindahlen and the Grape Pickers as well as NAAFI and CVWW)

From:  Dr. Bettina Blum                                 Paderborn, 2018

Kuratorin und Ansprechpartnerin:
Dr. Bettina Blum: bettina-blum@web.de

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BriteninWestfalen/

The Project
I am a historian and from 2015 to 2017 I was responsible for the research and exhibition project “The British in Westphalia”. We exhibited in Paderborn from 20 October 2017 until 28 February 2018; and a smaller version of the exhibition is now travelling through Westphalia.  More than 200 people – Britons and Germans – supported the project with contributed memories, knowledge, pamphlets, documentation, photos and memorabilia, and even more came to look and comment!

You can find more information on the Paderborn exhibition on the homepage www.briten-in-westfalen.de . (it is in English and German, but sometimes you have to scroll down to find the English text).

As the exhibition attracted a great deal of interest, I decided to extend my research and consolidate the extra information generated by the exhibitions.  Now I am planning new more expansive exhibitions and study programmes.

There will be an exhibition on the British in North-Rhine Westphalia next year, with much emphasis on activities in the Rhineland.  I hope to be able to develop a study of the whole British Zone on the North German Plain up to the Northern coast - Wilhelmshaven and Schleswig Holstein, and Berlin.

The aim is to heighten awareness of a long and shared Anglo-German history, to appreciate the impacts the British presence in Northern Germany have evoked and to recognise the diverse and complex Anglo-German relationships that continue to develop and, of course, to bring focus on to future aspirations.

My researches don’t concentrate on military history nor on political history (although both aspects are part of the story);  I am examining and recording the experiences of people – of soldiers, of officers, and their of wives and children, to the admin tail (schools, welfare, shops, medical) and of course the German neighbours, economic partners, colleagues and friends of all of them.  I focus on personal experiences of Britons and Germans, on daily life in the barracks and married quarters in Germany and on Anglo-German relations, and the differences.

To bring success and depth to the exhibitions I need help from the serving and veteran British contributions to the Garrisons.
Personal memories and experiences intrigue me and add colour to my examples, I would be happy to conduct face-to-face interviews if possible or learn about personal experiences via email. (Someone told me about adding milk to peppermint tea on a first visit to a German household!)

I’m also looking for photos, documents, diverse memorabilia as a loan for the exhibition. We don’t need to keep original photos or documents, but we would be happy if we are allowed to scan them and then send the originals back.
- photos and memorabilia from the Rhineland, especially from JHQ
- records/minutes, photos, magazines etc from British schools and clubs
- reports and photos from Anglo-German clubs, sports clubs, choirs, theatre groups...
- objects of daily military life (e.g. pace or swagger sticks, rules how to behave in an officers' mess, rules or written orders, programmes concerning parades or exercises, the mirror to look for bombs under cars and safety rules. the Guard Room Notice on "Walking-out")
- anything about British Family life in Germany - Marching-in info packs, Families' Guides
- Maps (especially Location and Garrison Maps, British Zone or smaller areas with quarter areas and recommended routes, street plans, maps from exercises etc)
- Guides for British families explaining the history and the facilities in Germany/the areas and towns they are posted to, the customs and local by-laws
- British newspapers/unit magazines from different German garrison towns
- The Crash-out Plan for evacuation of families in case of war
- anything concerning Soxmis and Brixmis
- advertising and pictures of NAAFI, AKC/SKC/Astra Cinemas, Toc H/YMCA/Salvation Army Canteens and Clubs, WRVS (WVS) rules,
- Experiences of Grape Pickers, in Farmyards on Exercise, Border Patrols, Military Trains, Firing Camps, - anywhere there has been an interface with local civilians

I would be very grateful for any information, loaned or donated resources and advice.  I’m very happy to answer any questions about the project or myself.

Last edited by Pborn4 on 23/10/2018, 08:16; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : contact Typos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The British in Westfalen exhibition Herford 2019
Page 1 of 1