BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 53 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 53 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

WRVS 1956

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Patc44
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-11-14

WRVS 1956 Empty
PostSubject: WRVS 1956   WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime14/11/2023, 08:53

Hi, I understand that my mother was in the WRVS in 1956- 1960, and was posted to Germany. Her registration card just says BAOR, and the historian with the RVS as it is now known - has no information on where she may have been stationed. As she was there for such a long period of time, it may be she was there for 2 tours of duty of about 18 months each. She came from Wales, but as she has now passed away, I have no way of finding out any further information.
I'd love to know a little bit about the kind of work she did, and if being from Wales meant she was assigned to a specific regiment in the army, and therefore a specific area in Germany. Im hoping to find out where she was based?
Any help would be most appreciated.
thanks Pat

Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 659
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

WRVS 1956 Empty
PostSubject: Weevers in Germany   WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime14/11/2023, 10:21

Back then the organisation was WVS - Women's Voluntary Service - commonly called "Weevers".  The Ladies, all with single Officer (Captain) status,  were accommodated in a Married Quarter but had the use of Officers' Messes to eat (dine) and for social purposes (some taught junior officers to dance!) - though their working hours dictated that their social life was limited.  Although if the Unit was out on exercise, practice camp, or duties away from Camp (Site Guard, Border Patrol, Exchange Trg within NATO, relief for Berlin Tour) there was time to spruce up the rooms, get some decorating done, get some UK leave in, make lists of where Welfare Funds should be spent.
The WVS rooms were often close to or adjoining the NAAFI (and took no nonsense from the NAAFI Management) and were ideally given  quiet rooms where single soldiers - in the midst of National Service - could get out of the barrack room environment.  The WVS Ladies always had tea (sometimes coffee - back then even German ground coffee, unless the lady had a private resource  (Nescafe was a rarity) ), Welfare UK Newspapers were provided to the WVS Rooms daily or as close to daily as possible, and a good selection.  The welfare newspapers arrived with the Forces Mail (flown in early morning sometimes the aircraft was "held" waiting for the delivery from Fleet Street to Northolt) and were distributed very rapidly - priority transport.  There was even a section in the NATO SOFA Protocol that supported their presence (listed under CVWW) and this service.  
National Service soldiers needed a home from home and this is what the WVS ladies provided, helped with writing letters home (and pwerhaps reading letters to the soldier where there was a difficulty), assisting and pointing the soldier in the right direction when ever domestic, affairs of the heart or financial problems arose.
Quite often there was a snooker table in the Weevers, lots of books which seemed to get rotated, writing tables, a radio (BFBS - or back then BFN) was very popular there were some excellent radio variety shows, 30 minute comedy programmes,  serialised adventures (Dan Dare and the Mekon, Francis Durbridge, Dick Barton even the Archers) and Sunday - Two way Family Favourites was heard in as near silence as possible - all avid ears straining to hear the names and the messages, or event the localities, as a link to home.

The Ladies themselves were usually mature "mother figures" who could be widows, or mature youngest daughters from old families, and were generally supported by their home (WI in the village) environment, the WVS organisation enjoyed access to all manner of welfare resources and ALWAYS had the CO's ear. The WVS rooms and their sympathetic ears were available to the soldiers every evening, after work, every weekend and public holidays. (and even extended to single ladies who were Queen's Schoolteachers - young, alone and challenged).  
The Ladies often undertook shopping errands in the town in their off-duty hours - usually had access to a car and driver.  Their presence and the facilities offered were important for morale, and although they didn't report to a CO their contributions to unit welfare were inalienable .  Where two or three Battalions or Regiments shared a Barracks the ladies would work out a roster so that some time-off was programmed in or to arrange reliefs when some one had holiday (leave) or a UK emergency.

The WVS (who progressed to being WRVS) Ladies were also on camps in UK and were especially welcomed in Junior Soldier (Apprentices) and Junior Leader establishments - where local knowledge often made life easier for the youngster (back then he could be under 16) first time away from anything that felt like home.

Staff Lists.  Most or all BAOR units published a Staff List of Key personnel as part of the Unit Emergency or Evacuation plan.  Every single soul who was the responsibilitty of a Commander (Garrison, Battalion/Regiment, Isolated Detachment ) and living off-camp (and thus had a family accompanying)  appeared on that list - one might hope that some of these lists have been included in Unit Histories - in the days before computers and photocopiers the paper lists were continuously updated, amended or enhanced.  
The WVS Lady was on the list, was authorised transport and was essential (unobtrusively) to the smooth running of everything.

The soldiers who were the clientele of the Weevers were grateful for the facility and the personalities offering support - many were regularly gave free-time, effort, knowledge to help the Weevers Lady, and any any of her projects on and off camp. Some ladies often arrange weekend bus-trips to places of interest to familiarise the young soldiers with their German locality.

Although many of the ladies may have been happy to serve with a cap badge local to their own roots (a Welsh Regiment) that was not always possible but most units had a thorough mix of NS men and regulars from many parts of the British Isles, and some took holidays on places they had learned of through "their soldiers".

Last edited by Pborn4 on 14/11/2023, 20:08; edited 2 times in total

Patc44 likes this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

WRVS 1956 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRVS 1956   WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime14/11/2023, 11:22

PatC.

Welcome to the site.

There are probably many members who still visit this site who served  late 1950- early 1960 in BAOR.

I appreciate you wishing to remain Private with mum's name. You have your reasons. However, I bet many out there may just have that knowledge from those days that may set you on the right track.

Regards Alan

PS.Our  first WVS Lady, who was with our Army Apprentice School from UK early 1960's.

WRVS 1956 Ds2RXvZ

Maybe a book search may show a photo or Information

WRVS 1956 7z6JQtP

Patc44 likes this post

Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

WRVS 1956 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRVS 1956   WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime14/11/2023, 18:46

It's worth mentioning the Canadian units in BAOR also had WVS services. I well remember Nina back in the 60s in Werl. Everything Paderborn 4 describes applied to us as well for the most part. A wonderful organization. Maybe a photo of your mother may help someone identify her.

Omigod!!! I've been promoted again to Major. The drinks will be on me if you can catch me.

Patc44 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Patc44
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-11-14

WRVS 1956 Empty
PostSubject: WRVS 1956   WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime16/11/2023, 12:28

thank you for your responses. I have just bought the greensleeves book. I'll enjoy reading about their work.

I don't have a picture of my mother - I only wish I did.

many thanks

Pat

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WRVS 1956 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WRVS 1956   WRVS 1956 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WRVS 1956
Page 1 of 1