BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
» somewere to go
Yesterday at 14:30 by Dee Z

» muslim scuz bag shot in Ottaw
Yesterday at 06:33 by Hardrations

» Interesting Web Site
21/10/2014, 09:30 by JPW

» British Army unit to move back to Minden
20/10/2014, 21:06 by Pborn3

» RASC Mulheim
20/10/2014, 11:40 by csqnblackhat

» 28 Engineer Regiment
18/10/2014, 01:24 by burgess720

» Service Experience & the Official Secrets Act
17/10/2014, 17:55 by "john boy"

» update
17/10/2014, 17:49 by "john boy"

» Personal Weapon - Lee Enfield 303, SLR or SA80?
17/10/2014, 11:14 by cartav

» Help Needed identifying Grandfathers War Card
15/10/2014, 14:09 by steve

» No 1 Trg. Bat.t REME Blandford Forum 1956
12/10/2014, 20:32 by JPW

» BMH Munster
10/10/2014, 18:40 by alan8376

» Thurkettle
7/10/2014, 14:44 by Sgmn

» KINGSLEY BKS.
7/10/2014, 11:49 by Griff

» 1951 Defence Plans
6/10/2014, 20:07 by JPW

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 110 on 18/7/2011, 18:47
October 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Share | 

RAF Bruggen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brian beckett
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts: 43
Cap Badge: rasc
Places Served: Tower of London(initially in Royal Fusiliers) Aldershot, Sennelager & RAF Bruggen
Registration date: 2009-02-04

PostSubject: RAF Bruggen   11/7/2009, 14:09

I served my National Service in the army as a RASC clerk and was posted to the 471 Ground Liaison Section in Germany at RAF Bruggen (located on the German/Dutch frontier) during May 1958, it was one of the best postings in BAOR.  Apart from the CO, a major designated the GLO (Ground Liaison Officer), the unit consisted of only four other ranks of corporal and below - two clerks & two drivers.  Additionally there was a Belgian unit with an officer and two servicemen attached.   The unit was virtually self functioning, it had an array of vehicles which includied two Austin Champs and a motor bike, and it had its own stock of small arms. Assistance was received from the RAF's admin office in respect of pay & leave movements and from a couple of nearby army bases for vehicle servicing & supplies.  But neither the RAF nor mainstream BAOR took any interest in the unit's 'domestic' affairs.   Discipline was at a minimum with no parades, inspections, or 'menial tasks' to contend with.     

Our offices were located in the Wing Operations Centre and we worked and mixed freely with air force personnel of all ranks.  The unit's role was army/air liaison, its principle task being the briefing and debriefing of aircrews whenever they flew operations in support of ground forces.  We were never overworked.   I was even sent on a RAF course to learn how to use and service a 16mm film projector as we were often called upon to show training films to aircrew when bad weather stopped flying.     

There was another army presence on the base but without any connection to us.   It was substantial sized unit of the The Royal Signals, completely self functioning with the usual army 'agenda', helped along by its own company sergeant major.  

The RAF catering was far better than anything I had experienced previously with the army.   On the few occasions it was necessary to work very late I got a night duty supper which invariably was a steak sandwich with freshly baked bread.  

Three squadrons were based at Bruggen. Two were equipped with Canberra bombers, 213 with  B6s and 80 with PR7s.   The third squadron, 87, was equipped with Javelin F1 fighters.   During my time 87 Sqdn lost two Javelins, one close to the airfield and another over the Dutch Coast at Bergen Op Zoom.  There was a drama when a Canberra of 80 Sqdn whilst on local  training could not lower part of its undercarriage.    This incident was memorable because a detachment of personnel from the Green Howards regiment was on an 'educational visit' to Bruggen, arranged by our CO, and one of it's members was on board the aircraft taking a joy ride   The aircraft circled for a couple of hours using fuel before making a safe emergency landing; virtually everybody on the base was out on the airfield to watch.   I would imagine the squaddie still remembers the incident to this day.  

There were frequent visits by aircraft from other NATO air forces, but the most notable was the periodic arrival of photo reconnaissance aircraft (RF84F) of the Danish Air Force from their base at Karup, referred to as 'liquor runs'.   The cameras had been removed so making space available for the NAAFI duty free spirits bought from Bruggen's officers' mess.

Around the the time of my arrival at Bruggen the Duke of Edinburgh made a visit.  The Daily Mail reported the occasion as follows: 'The RAF sealed off one of it's top secret bases in Germany so that Prince Philip could have a close private look at some of Britain's A-bombers'.  The intimation being that nuclear armed aircraft were based there, but there were never any at Bruggen during my time, one had been flown in especially.   Further on the article continues: 'The base is sensitive where strong security precautions are always in force'.   That was not quite true, security wasn't as tight in some areas as it should have been, especially with the large German civilian workforce employed on the base which was always a cause for concern.    

The regular 'Practise Alerts' were unwanted surprises.   They invariably came in the middle of a night and requiried all personnel to report to their place of work immediately; aircraft would take off on predesignated missions.   There were several of NATO exercises during my time but a particularly major one covering the whole of Western Europe involved us with several weeks of preparation and target plotting.  (One of the drivers took me to the Command Map Store in Bielefeld to collect some of the many maps we needed and whilst there our Champ developed a broken a half shaft which involved an overnight stay with the REME unit that repaired it).   Soon after the excercise commenced however the referees declared Bruggen had been destroyed in a nuclear attack so our Canberras could not continue taking part, except those that were airborne and diverted to other airfields. This was a salutary reminder of our 'raison d'etre'. I'm sure none of us ever seriously considered this for real; our predominent thoughts were always that of making it through two wasted years with a minimum of fuss and bother.  Regretfully 'nuclear destruction' did not mean we could laze around on our beds for the remainder of the exercise. The Javelins were still flying, joined by 33 Sqdn on detachment from the UK; they were operating a different role within the exercise and our assistance was needed in the ops room.

We were extremely fortunate having an easy going CO.   He was from the Kings (Liverpool) Regiment and previously when with his battalion was possibly quite 'regimental'.   But the comfort of being in charge of a small autonomous unit within the relatively relaxed atmosphere of the RAF had mellowed him.    So long as we kept ourselves tidy, did what was expected, and caused no problems, he was happy to leave us to our own devices, infact at times he was remarkably paternal towards us.  During his absences the Belgian officer was nominally in charge but he never considered it necessary to question our activities. The CO was a popular member of the officers' mess and seemed to be able to obtain favours from anywhere on the base.  He and his wife had a busy social life and one of us was was regularly called upon to babysit his young daughter for an evening.  He even occasionally volunteered us for a job at the base's golf course, a welcome activity because we were always offered a beer in the clubhouse.   We had use of a Champ on occasions to visit Roermond, the nearest Dutch town, to get a decent haircut or for shopping, they were booked out as 'recreational visits'.   At one stage the RAF wanted to move us and the Belgians out of the accommodation block in which we were billeted with air force personnel and into the one used exclusively by the Royal Signals.   We viewed with extreme horror the thought of the Signals unit, particularly its CSM, having some authority over us but the CO quickly got the plan squashed.  The cosy familiarity that existed within the unit meant we tended to forget how important a major was until accompanying him on visits to other army units and seeing how all ranks jumped at his presence.

The base had the usual NAAFI with a WVS lounge attached, and an Astra cinema, but like most RAF airfields in Germany at that time it had a Malcolm Club where all ranks were permitted to mix.  The highlight of any week for a great number of homesick National Servicemen, particularly those with girlfriends back home and dreading the arrival of a 'Dear John', was listening to Two Way Family Favourites on the radio at Sunday lunchtimes.   Some songs were requested so frequently (notably Shirley Bassey's "Hands Across the Sea") that even now when hearing them I am reminded of those days.   There was a television in the WVS lounge and one evening every a week Netherlands TV showed a British film (Dutch subtitles/English dialogue); as most were fairly recent releases they were always popular.

Having a beer off the base involved nearly a 15 minute walk to the bar opposite the main gate, or, a further 20 minute walk to the bars in Elmpt village.   Sometimes it was possible to get a lift in a car to a popular hostellerie in Bracht run by three sisters, commonly known as the 'Six Tits'.  Being located on the Netherlands frontier we were ideally situated for visits to Amsterdam, helped by the Dutch railways who allowed British sevicemen to travel at half fare.

Unlike probably 99% of National Servicemen in BAOR, I never minded returning from leave. I was a corporal at the time of demob and was 'almost' sorry when it arrived.   I was even invited by the major and his wife for a farewell drink!   My job had been interesting, I had learnt to drive, had flown in a Canberra, and had made a lot of friends; life had been sweet.   A fact reinforced during my demob journey home on the military train and troopship when I met a few members from the RASC draft with whom I had travelled out to Germany nineteen months previous and listened to some of the problems they had experienced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

RAF Bruggen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations ::  :: -