BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 73 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 73 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Berlin Train Final trip

Go down 
+8
bobsignals
locating
Hardrations
sapper063
glen958
burgess720
BobG
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Brian (Berlin-Brian)
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Brian (Berlin-Brian)

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Berlin Train Final trip Empty
PostSubject: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime25/9/2007, 13:36

Berlin Train Final trip Ccf25013
Berlin Train Final trip Ccf25014
Berlin Train Final trip Ccf25010
Berlin Train Final trip Ccf25012
Back to top Go down
BobG
Lt Col
Lt Col

Number of posts : 330
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg, Verden, Liebenau, Hohne, Hamm, Duisburg, Minden, Hannover, Fallingbostal, Kuwait, UK, HK, USA/Can.
Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime6/3/2008, 16:18

I still have a bottle of the "Berliner" claret from the final train trip given to me by Lt Col Mike Rust, CO 24 Tpt & Mov Regt RLC, at that time I was with 63 Sta Wksp in Hannover. I doubt if the wine is still drinkable but it makes for a good conversation piece
Back to top Go down
burgess720
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime17/9/2008, 07:53

Hi all,

Interesting history of this train.

In 1951, I remember the train guard duties were drawn from a transit camp in Hannover [I cant remember where this was in Hannover?] They joined the train in Hannover.
The guard comprised army lads who had just arrived from UK and were waiting for a BAOR unit posting; trying to remember how many at least 12 but could have been as many as 20 men?
They were required to stand by all doors that were opened, so may have been more than 20? When the train stopped anywhere, if at a station, they faced Russians fully armed.
Would have been difficult to use your 303 rifle in that confined area!
These were in addition to the regular train operating staff Royal Engineers.

A couple of MP's were on duty at Hannover railway station to check people going on or attempting to join this train.

Keep those memories coming, before they are lost forever, and need to be recorded.

Regards
Tony
Back to top Go down
glen958
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime15/3/2009, 09:40

As an army brat Berlin was our last ever posting, My dad who was ACWO for berlin worked on that last train.
Back to top Go down
sapper063
Private
Private

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime8/5/2009, 20:08

i travelled on train from hanover to west berlin the day the russians invaded chequslvakia i think it was 21 august 1968,i was straight from training as a sapper i could not believe it when a waiter came into compartment and said dinner is served everyone got treated the same. when we had travelled a good way we could see convoys of tanks and trucks a seargent in same compartment said when we get to berlin say that we were asleep all the way. i never found out why. it was the best posting. apart from the rocking horses at 3am when we were drunk. i attended the berlin tatto it was our job to change colour filters on the spotlight, people kept passing us drinks i know i ended up in an raf mess next morning. and transported back to barracks. one other thing comes to mind we had to sign in and out of camp when we were in civies.i was at smuts bks RE and the 9-12 royal lancers i think.
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime9/5/2009, 14:32

I well remember the invasion of Checkoslavakia. We heard about it on the radio in barracks as we got up. Went to breakfast and looked at the hills in the east towards the rising sun and wondered if this was IT. This was in Fort Prince of Wales in Deilinghofen Germany.
Back to top Go down
locating
Sgt
Sgt

Number of posts : 22
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Oswestry, Tonfanau, Aldershot, Menden (mostly), Larkhill
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime13/5/2009, 11:10

In softer times, 1959, the train to Berlin carried some personnel off on their holidays. The British authorities wished to maintain the status of Berlin as a Four Power city, ie the responsibility of USA, USSR, UK and France. As part of this, British personnel were encouraged to visit East Berlin as tourists in uniform. I spent a happy week in Berlin in 1959, with free travel on the train and somewhere to stay in an army billet ( I cannot remember where). I visited several places in the Eastern sector. The East had all the best museums or so it seemed.
I do not know whether these trips were open to everyone. Does anyone know anything about this policy?
Best wishes from 'Locating'.
Back to top Go down
bobsignals
Private
Private

Number of posts : 3
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Bedford, Catterick, Herford, Wolfenbuttel, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime26/5/2009, 21:12

I was train guard commander a couple of days after the air lift finished. coming back after Uk leave we were grabbed off the station
and given a rifle and a bandolier of 50 rounds. The O/C train was a RAF officer who was as nervous as hell and turned us out every time the train slowed down.The only perk was we got sleepers.
bob
Back to top Go down
Tess
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : 3rd Battn Royal Green Jackets
Places Served : berlin 1976
Registration date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime19/6/2009, 18:33

I was a young rifleman just out of training when i was posted to berlin, Wavell bks, the frist duty i pulled was the berlin m train, I can remerber stopping at a stn in the corridor and passing mags and swopping cap badges with the ruskies, I had a great time in berlin best posting I had.
regards Tess
Back to top Go down
pinky
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 208
Cap Badge : 14th/20th Kings Hussars - KRH
Places Served : In BAOR : Hohne,Berlin and Munster.
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime24/6/2011, 23:34

hi there,
I did the train guard once,what a great experience.......plus saw the bars and strip clubs in Brunswick whilst we waited for the return journey !!
Memories I'll never forget.
atb
pinky
HUSSAR
Back to top Go down
rucjock21
Maj
Maj
rucjock21

Number of posts : 279
Cap Badge : The Jocks
Places Served : Everywhere.
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime26/9/2012, 22:08

Interesting to note that the final train journey from Berlin did not contain any other ranks only officers and some important civvies.Who says class distinction does not exist in the army?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime27/9/2012, 05:19

rucjock21 wrote:
Interesting to note that the final train journey from Berlin did not contain any other ranks only officers and some important civvies.Who says class distinction does not exist in the army?

What, no steward service!!! Demded bed show, What!! Harumph. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime29/9/2012, 23:15

locating wrote:
In softer times, 1959, the train to Berlin carried some personnel off on their holidays. The British authorities wished to maintain the status of Berlin as a Four Power city, ie the responsibility of USA, USSR, UK and France. As part of this, British personnel were encouraged to visit East Berlin as tourists in uniform. I spent a happy week in Berlin in 1959, with free travel on the train and somewhere to stay in an army billet ( I cannot remember where). I visited several places in the Eastern sector. The East had all the best museums or so it seemed.
I do not know whether these trips were open to everyone. Does anyone know anything about this policy?
Best wishes from 'Locating'.

Canadians could go, but we were only allowed to fly in. Our govt was afraid of up setting the East Germans or Russians. Cdn govt has always been good snivlers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Berlin Train Final trip   Berlin Train Final trip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Berlin Train Final trip
Page 1 of 1