BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
» Walter Mittys.
Today at 14:27 by KrisT

» Summer Camp.
21/9/2017, 22:28 by KrisT

» Kenneth Morrison 1st Batallion Royal Fusiliers Liverpool
20/9/2017, 12:55 by Frances Boyd

» German Grub!!
19/9/2017, 21:16 by KrisT

» Skinny dipping
19/9/2017, 21:04 by KrisT

» RAF Scharfoldendorf
19/9/2017, 13:12 by eMeS

» Thurkettle
17/9/2017, 19:56 by KrisT

» Newton Abbot
17/9/2017, 19:05 by KrisT

» BMH Re-visited
17/9/2017, 14:40 by KrisT

» Hobart Barracks - Detmold
17/9/2017, 14:31 by KrisT

» Trying to locate / identify forces club in post WWII Berlin
14/9/2017, 17:34 by steve

» Memory Lane
10/9/2017, 15:26 by Dee Z

» Help, WW2 BOAR, Which unit did my grandfather belong to?
8/9/2017, 18:23 by Rocky

» R Sigs & 28 (BR) Sig Regiment, Group on 'Facebook'
6/9/2017, 23:29 by unclevanya

» Kiel Nostalgia 1 Buildings and 2 BMD . Baptism Records!
5/9/2017, 20:17 by KIeler sprotten

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 26 Guests :: 1 Bot

KrisT

Most users ever online was 144 on 31/12/2014, 23:57
September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
CalendarCalendar
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 
 

 Nickname

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Nickname   10/4/2010, 18:02

Teabag.

Thanks for that (?).
Not wishing to drag things too far from "1940's" I thought I should start a new subject. I just wondered when RSigs started calling themselves "Scaleybacks". I dimly became aware of it about the same time as RAF Gutersloh started the expression "Crab Air".
Was it a derogatory (I thought I'd launch that word before the Saturday night wine kicks in!) term or were you blokes comfortable with it?

brum
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 960
Age : 67
Localisation : Merseyside
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   10/4/2010, 20:40

brum wrote:
Teabag.

Thanks for that (?).
Not wishing to drag things too far from "1940's" I thought I should start a new subject. I just wondered when RSigs started calling themselves "Scaleybacks". I dimly became aware of it about the same time as RAF Gutersloh started the expression "Crab Air".
Was it a derogatory (I thought I'd launch that word before the Saturday night wine kicks in!) term or were you blokes comfortable with it?

brum

Some other units might have used it in a derogatory fashion but I don't think we were that bothered. It is alleged to have come about due to carrying batteries in the early days and the acid damaging the uniform backs which made it look like one had scales.

I know the RA don't like the use of planks, or the few I have mentioned it to don't. Queers On Horseback (QOH). Rickshaws Camels and Taxis (RCT). There are probably loads of unofficial ones in use or used to be. Banter and not to be taken seriously or you could get into trouble and I never joined the army to fight as they say!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   10/4/2010, 20:59

Teabag

As a pimply youth I was a signaller, riding in an Austin Champ. No FFR in those days, we had to change batteries through the back of the canopy. I found that contact with battery acid tended to affect our clothing to the extent of making us look like something found on page three of a gay porn mag. I don't think "Scaley" would describe it!
No mate, there must be another reason for the title "Scaleybacks", (and I'm glad you weren't offended by it).

brum
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 937
Age : 63
Localisation : Calgary
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   11/4/2010, 06:33

I suspect most of the nicknames for various outfits and regiments are a rather affectionate thing, but some guys do take offence.

For our guys Lord Strathcona Horse were often referred to as 'zipperheads' due to the hood they wore on their winter outfit that had a zipper down the centre so it could lay flat as a wide collar when not up as a hood....damn warm gear too for Canadian winters!

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) were variously known as The Princess Pats, Peeps, and a few other I can't recall.

Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR), largely Francophones, didn't have a nick as far as I can recall, apart from every guy in RCR's attached to a non-Francophone outfit was likely known as "Frenchie".

The Royal 22nd Regiment, also Francophone, was of course known as The Vandoos ("22" being "veingt deux" en francais).

but such nicks are markedly different from what you lot levied against your comrades....but then Canadian humour tends to be a bit different than British. Which some of us are quite thankful for! Smile (I've watched Benny Hill, you know...peculiar stuff....)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soprano54
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 159
Age : 59
Localisation : Gloucestershire
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   11/4/2010, 16:12

Stephen Lock wrote:
I suspect most of the nicknames for various outfits and regiments are a rather affectionate thing, but some guys do take offence.

For our guys Lord Strathcona Horse were often referred to as 'zipperheads' due to the hood they wore on their winter outfit that had a zipper down the centre so it could lay flat as a wide collar when not up as a hood....damn warm gear too for Canadian winters!

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) were variously known as The Princess Pats, Peeps, and a few other I can't recall.

Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR), largely Francophones, didn't have a nick as far as I can recall, apart from every guy in RCR's attached to a non-Francophone outfit was likely known as "Frenchie".

The Royal 22nd Regiment, also Francophone, was of course known as The Vandoos ("22" being "veingt deux" en francais).

but such nicks are markedly different from what you lot levied against your comrades....but then Canadian humour tends to be a bit different than British. Which some of us are quite thankful for! Smile (I've watched Benny Hill, you know...peculiar stuff....)

Stephen IIRC one of your infantry regiments were known as the 'Chicken F*****s'! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jerry
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 186
Age : 76
Localisation : Abergele
Cap Badge : RASC/RCT
Places Served : Dortmund/Hameln/ Malaya FARELF Marchwood Aldershot Yeovil
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   11/4/2010, 18:55

I was affectionately Known as "Craphat", by the Paras.
I say affectionately But really it was for anyone without a Red Beret
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   11/4/2010, 20:50

Yeah,
I remember the Greenjackets coming out with the same stuff.
Apparently it all stems from that brown flat thing you see blokes in WW2 wearing on the backs of their heads.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 960
Age : 67
Localisation : Merseyside
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   12/4/2010, 20:30

brum wrote:
Teabag

As a pimply youth I was a signaller, riding in an Austin Champ. No FFR in those days, we had to change batteries through the back of the canopy. I found that contact with battery acid tended to affect our clothing to the extent of making us look like something found on page three of a gay porn mag. I don't think "Scaley" would describe it!
No mate, there must be another reason for the title "Scaleybacks", (and I'm glad you weren't offended by it).

brum

Hi Brum, I think they were issued with some kind of protective leather thing and that scaled. I'm sure the reason is out there somewhere but as usual you come up with one version and someone is bound to have another. More beer needed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 937
Age : 63
Localisation : Calgary
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   13/4/2010, 06:57

soprano54 wrote:


Stephen IIRC one of your infantry regiments were known as the 'Chicken F*****s'! Shocked

Oh great....now you've peaked my morbid curiousity!!! Which infantry outfit was it?

One of our regiments -- and off hand I forget which one -- has a goat for mascot. While I've not "heard" anything, I have no doubt there were various nicks applied there...I mean, c'mon -- it'd just be too easy!!! Razz

Granted, a goat is not a sheep (!!!) but still....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TonyE
WOI
WOI
avatar

Number of posts : 112
Age : 85
Localisation : Woodbridge Suffolk
Cap Badge : RASC & RCASC,later CF Logistics Branch
Places Served : Hannover, Bielefeld, Camp Borden, Camp Petawawa, CFB Kingston, Korea, Soest, Cyprus, Lahr.
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   13/4/2010, 22:09

It,s the RCR,the story goes that a drunken Royal was caught trying it with a chicken out back of Fort York. That's what I heard,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 960
Age : 67
Localisation : Merseyside
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   14/4/2010, 21:56

TonyE wrote:
It,s the RCR,the story goes that a drunken Royal was caught trying it with a chicken out back of Fort York. That's what I heard,

Well I hope it was a good looking chicken is all I can say!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 1026
Localisation : Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   14/4/2010, 22:06

TonyE wrote:
It,s the RCR,the story goes that a drunken Royal was caught trying it with a chicken out back of Fort York. That's what I heard,

I heard he was caught in Sennelager trying that trick.

Then there was the the RCR and Queens Own Rifles (Of Canada) who were caught in a hootchie doing their thing. Some one got back to base early and requested , " Burning Ring of Fire", dedicated to the RCR and Q.O.R's on the radio station. Apparently the Brigadier was not impressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brum
FM
FM


Number of posts : 2808
Age : 76
Localisation : Sandbach Cheshire
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   14/4/2010, 22:13

Is this that "Zulu Warrior" thing again ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stephen Lock
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
avatar

Number of posts : 937
Age : 63
Localisation : Calgary
Cap Badge : Pads Brat
Places Served : Father -- Canadian Army. Served Hemer, Soest, and Wetter
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Nickname   15/4/2010, 06:57

I suspect...well, sort of suspect Smile...the chicken story is an urban legend sort of thing (one has it happening out behind Fort York another version has it happening at Sennelager...classic urban legend discrepancies). It's sort of like gerbil stories....(don't ask!!! LOL).

As for the RCR/QOR liaison.... it's possible, I suppose. I mean such things happened more often than any of us were ever aware of, I am sure! Sometimes it got found out and sometimes (most times, I'm guessing) it didn't.

The "Burning Ring of Fire" request is funny, though...juvenile, sure, but so what? LOL Better than beating the crap outa the guys, I must say.

hmmmm....what's this "Zulu Warrior thing"??? Geez, you guys! All these cryptic quips!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Nickname   

Back to top Go down
 
Nickname
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Walter Mittys.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations :: Locations within BAOR and NW Europe-
Jump to: