BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
British Frontier Service Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 1 Bot

steve

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

British Frontier Service

Go down 
+6
Themaadone
JPW
steve
jim
Hardrations
recce83
10 posters
AuthorMessage
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

Number of posts : 238
Cap Badge : Black Watch of Canada
Places Served : 4 CIBG Soest and Werl 1957-1965, Camp Borden, Camp Gagetown
Registration date : 2009-06-04

British Frontier Service Empty
PostSubject: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 19:08

It would be interesting to hear from former members of the British Frontier service and read about some of their experiences on the former GDR border and so on.

From what I've read and been told, they played a huge role in settling border disputes and generally keeping things as peaceful as possible with a common sense attitude (as opposed to the odd BGS hot-head who wanted to start a punch-up) due to their military experience as senior NCOs and WOs as well as their linguistic abilities and local knowledge.

Any takers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 20:36

Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 23:14

gallahad wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Frontier_Service

Good site Gallahad. I remember in 67 having to deal with them for buying a new Fiat. For some reason you got papers from them in Bonn, drove to the Dutch border in to Holland remove the German plates, took the brown paper off the Canadian plates, drove back into Germany and it was all legal. Don' t know what the reason was, but I do remember thinking how there uniforms closely resembled navy togs.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 01:42

Yes, they've done a good job on that site. They mention David Spears' book "The Ugly Frontier" as a reference. It's been out of print for a million years now, but if you find it in a used book store somewhere, it makes a very interesting and informative read.

My only dealing with them was at Dusseldorf Airport when they came on the bus and stamped "Cancelled" on the status of forces page in my wife's passport - the one that got dependents into the MLS and NAAFI - before we boarded our RCAF Yukon for an interminable trip to Trenton, Ontario. (Interminable due to the mother and father of all hangovers. See earlier post re: party at the gasthof in Wickede the previous night).
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 01:56

As like you I was suffering one good hangover. But I don't remember seeing the BFS stamping any passports. That was in Dec 68. Those Yukon's were one special way of traveling. They had just changed the ruling about having to wear uniform, so it was a comfortable trip that way. I think after that I only wore the old woollen battle dress one more time.
Back to top Go down
recce83
Maj
Maj
recce83

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 02:09

Maybe your eyes weren't quite open yet, or they changed the procedure after June '65. I guess we should mention that the Yukon was a Canadian version of the Bristol Britannia. Were the seats still facing aft when you came back?
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 11:43

That's an interesting Link, I never had any dealings with them though
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

Number of posts : 1003
Cap Badge : Royal Signals + Royal Engineers
Places Served : Verden-Aller + Willich + Iserlohn + Hameln
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 12:11

Good site Gallahad. I remember in 67 having to deal with them for buying a new Fiat. For some reason you got papers from them in Bonn, drove to the Dutch border in to Holland remove the German plates, took the brown paper off the Canadian plates, drove back into Germany and it was all legal. Don' t know what the reason was, but I do remember thinking how there uniforms closely resembled navy togs.

It was the clearing of the German purchase tax the cars were exported and re-imported with an import licence for sometime now vehicles supplied from within Germany are cleared of tax with an abwicklunsgchein with the NAAFI as the procurement agency US and Canadian forces had their own agencies the "British Frontier Service" does exist today in a different form "Customs and Immigration" and import and export licenses for BFG private vehicles are supplied by them and they act as the link between the military and German authorities and veterans living in Germany get authority to shop in the NAAFI from them hope this helps
Back to top Go down
https://britisharmyingermany.com Online
JPW
Let Gen
Let Gen

Number of posts : 1119
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Rotenburg Ploen Lippstadt Hamm Wetter Minden Munster Bielefeldt Dusseldorf
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime4/3/2011, 16:00

Hardrations

You are correct, when the BFS organisation was set up as part of the Control Commision Germany their first Commander was a former Naval Officer, naturally he adapted the appropriate RN uniforms for BFS use
Back to top Go down
Themaadone
Maj
Maj
Themaadone

Number of posts : 270
Cap Badge : RAOC/RLC/AGC
Places Served : Bielefeld, Guetersloh, Viersen, Bracht, Falklands, Aldershot, Leconsfield, NI, Rwanda, Croatia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime5/3/2011, 12:04

I recall an article in the 90s in Soldier Magazine and seeing one of the ay JHQ RheinD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime8/3/2011, 01:56

On Border Patrol the BFS guy told us of a couple of incidents in which he was involved.
An East German work team was renewing the demarcation poles along the River Elbe. The East German Border at that point was at the edge of the water on the far side of the river. The BFS man said he would not allow the East Germans to step a few feet into West Germany to facilitate the erection of these poles. They had to stand in the water, with the BFS guy almost straddling the pole, while swinging the sledge between his legs.
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime8/3/2011, 18:05

I applied to join the BFS on my run up to demob in 86, I got a very nice letter telling me that they weren't recruiting at the moment but would keep my application on file. Do you think I should send them a reminder Question
Back to top Go down
lesty
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 9
Cap Badge : royal artillery
Places Served : rhyll, dortmund
Registration date : 2011-03-14

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime27/3/2011, 19:34

train guard to berlin goods train 5 rounds per man had stand off with rusky saved by train whistle they had k47s
Back to top Go down
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime28/3/2011, 02:50

recce83 wrote:
Maybe your eyes weren't quite open yet, or they changed the procedure after June '65. I guess we should mention that the Yukon was a Canadian version of the Bristol Britannia. Were the seats still facing aft when you came back?

My apologies for missing your msg on this recce. I'm fairly sure the seats were facing towards the front. My last flight in a Yukon was in Feb. 71. They had the 707 in service then but it couldn't land in Norway for return of troops from the Northern NATO Defense exercise. The Yukon's were in storage in Trenton prior to being shipped of to South America. Apparently the D of D still owned them so flew one over to get us. In July of 71 I was posted back to Germany, the 707's still had that new car smell.
Back to top Go down
malaboman
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 41
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Deepcut, Arborfield, Gosport,Osnabruck, Minden, Aden, Berlin.
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 14:09

Steve, would you or someone else be so kind as to confirm that UK veterans living in Germany are allowed to shop in the NAAFI (if they can find one !)
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime29/3/2011, 16:33

malaboman wrote:
Steve, would you or someone else be so kind as to confirm that UK veterans living in Germany are allowed to shop in the NAAFI (if they can find one !)

Please go to http://www.bfgnet.de/BFGVets.html for details it is a long process took me several months to get the pass then waited the British authority letter then off to my local Zollamt to get the final two pieces of paper to enable me to shop at the NAAFI have been busy moving so not yet had a chance but due to go to Bad Fallingbostel this week so will shop for the first time since late 1979 will then have to pay the tax at my local Zollamt by the 5th of next month...hope this helps cheers
Back to top Go down
Les Pattenden
Col
Col
Les Pattenden

Number of posts : 473
Cap Badge : RCT
Places Served : Aldershot, Marchwood, Longmoor, Dusseldorf,Munster,Ratingen,Longmoor
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime12/11/2011, 23:18

I was at the ATC Dusseldorf Airport from 1967 - 1972 we had a couple of BFS chaps there to cover mainly incoming flights but they were also present at our MFO Depots, I did some time at the Ratingen one, they would select boxes at random for checking, once a name was selected they would check all boxes in that consignment, they did an excellent job and often came across items that were not allowed (for whatever reason) they also spent time with us in the little club we had below the ATC Building. Very happy memories
Back to top Go down
steve
LE Maj
LE Maj
steve

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime21/11/2018, 10:58

JPW wrote:
Hardrations

You are correct, when the BFS organisation was set up as part of the Control Commision Germany their first Commander was a former Naval Officer, naturally he adapted the appropriate RN uniforms for BFS use

Have found this entry in Historical Records held at Kew

Wef 22 Jun 47 responsibility for the Anglo/Russian demarcation line passed to CCG, patrols by Brit troops only being carried out at the request of CCG; requests being made as a result of "incidents"

The last British Troops to regularly patrol the border were 10th (Prince of Wales's Own) Royal Hussars RAC of Schleswig-Holstein Sub Area command Hamburg District for operational command of the Russian border north of the River Elbe, it is recorded they were under operational command of 4th Independent Armoured Brigade for this task study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British Frontier Service   British Frontier Service Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

British Frontier Service
Page 1 of 1