BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

» Allied Control Commission Germany 1945
New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime27/2/2024, 06:43 by PB1963

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 73 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 73 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

New in town.

Go down 
+8
jimsigs1
gingerjim
"john boy"
brum
Hardrations
Shelldrake
Les Pattenden
bigmal
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Hardrations
Let Gen
Let Gen
Hardrations

Number of posts : 1070
Cap Badge : RC Sigs (RTG Op) / CF Logistics (Cook)
Places Served : Germany, Egypt, Cyprus, CFS Alert and some other strange places
Registration date : 2007-12-16

New in town. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime6/4/2012, 19:55

1: Empty tummies lost a lot of arguments.

2: Missed out on most parades (Except RCAF they're parade mad)

3: Didn't get frost bite.

Once a upon a time. We were with out a phone for a week. Only cost us a steak dinner a day to do it. Some Mjr. Gen. got upset he had no phone line from his VIP Quarters. So it didn't last longer. Amazing the amount of work that can be done with no phone. This was pre computor days.
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
New in town. - Page 3 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2012, 15:52

gingerjim wrote:
acc who are you kidding , craftsmen you are joking . i hear they employed burke and hare as butchers , and had special departments to train and grow catapillars and maggots , lunch for the use of , ginger

Huh...well...I...don't believe it you of all people Ginge my friend how could you It was our secret affraid lol!
New in town. - Page 3 S_sad_face1
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2012, 19:44

john boy. my first taste of army swill , i entered the noble halls of the cookhouse in june 1956 for my first army lunch , the orderly officer asked if i had any complaints , i showed him the catapillar and several juicy maggots perusing my salad lunch , he was aghast with fury , now soldier he said you go over to the cook sgt and complain and make him put right the wrongs invading your salad lunch , i then proceeded in a cook sgt direction ,and with great indignation remonstrated with the said cook sgt. your quite right to complain lad the cook sgt stated , the extra meat ration . ie maggots amd catapillar were not even cooked , he instructed me to return to the cookhouse after tea and he would look into the matter more closely , i like a good young rookie duly reported to the cook sgt after tea and was put to work washing up dozens of greasy pots and pans that were used in the cooking of a thousand meals , after that i was instructed to look closely all over the cookhouse in case there were any more invading items of extra meat rations crawling about , moral of story never complain ,even if you are right , and never trust a red faced , red haired cook sgt , ginger
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Number of posts : 3048
Cap Badge : Royal Artillery
Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh
Registration date : 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2012, 21:07

gingerjim wrote:
john boy. my first taste of army swill , i entered the noble halls of the cookhouse in june 1956 for my first army lunch , the orderly officer asked if i had any complaints , i showed him the catapillar and several juicy maggots perusing my salad lunch , he was aghast with fury , now soldier he said you go over to the cook sgt and complain and make him put right the wrongs invading your salad lunch , i then proceeded in a cook sgt direction ,and with great indignation remonstrated with the said cook sgt. your quite right to complain lad the cook sgt stated , the extra meat ration . ie maggots amd catapillar were not even cooked , he instructed me to return to the cookhouse after tea and he would look into the matter more closely , i like a good young rookie duly reported to the cook sgt after tea and was put to work washing up dozens of greasy pots and pans that were used in the cooking of a thousand meals , after that i was instructed to look closely all over the cookhouse in case there were any more invading items of extra meat rations crawling about , moral of story never complain ,even if you are right , and never trust a red faced , red haired cook sgt , ginger

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
"john boy"
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
New in town. - Page 3 890-95

Number of posts : 939
Cap Badge : acc
Places Served : aldershot/albermarle bks ouston-father LI- gib- berlin NI- lemgo- colchester- shrewsbury-tidworth left82
Registration date : 2010-12-30

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/4/2012, 14:44

Shelldrake where did you get that tan Very Happy
P.S that photo of you standing there in your greatcoat (box creases) the guy next to you its not Lord Lucan is it?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

Places Served : Troon, Lippstadt, Devizes, NI, Paderborn, Dortmund, Colchester, Belize, Canada, Cyprus, Gutersloh

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime9/4/2012, 15:12

Superdrug! It could be, he never introduced himself. Laughing
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Number of posts : 1291
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/4/2012, 10:59

Hi Mal and welcome,

whenwere you with 9/12th? They were in Hobart Bks in Detmold when I was there in '73
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

Number of posts : 296
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E
Places Served : Fallingbostal, NI, Hohne, Fallingbostal, again.
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime14/4/2012, 20:58

1981-1984.
They were in Hohne at the time.
When they left to go to Wolfsburg (i think), all the LAD were asked if they want to go with them.
I opted to move.
I wish i had gone with them now so as to see somewhere different, as it was i went back to Fally.
Not complaining though as i did really like Fally and the surrounding area.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime14/4/2012, 20:59

Would like to go back some day.
A lot of good memories there
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime14/4/2012, 21:01

Just noticed, i`ve been promoted.
Should really have the 7 Armd Div badge on the sleeve, not 78th Inf Div.
Sorry being pedantic there.
Back to top Go down
bigmal
Maj
Maj
bigmal

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime14/4/2012, 21:02

jimsigs1 wrote:
Thanks for that Hardrations. Never seen this flash before. Don't think the old Army Catering Corps had any trade flashes.

Skull and crossbones would have been appropriate, i reckon.
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Number of posts : 2808
Cap Badge : RA/QOH
Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime14/4/2012, 21:55

gingerjim wrote:
acc who are you kidding , craftsmen you are joking . i hear they employed burke and hare as butchers , and had special departments to train and grow catapillars and maggots , lunch for the use of , ginger

I feel I must put my two pennorth ,(that would be a half pence-if there was such a thing anymore).

I could join in with the general uproar, railing at the old ACC, God knows, I've experienced some atrocities in my time !

I must say though, the catering staff in our mess must've been sweating on their City and Guilds. We had some WONDERFUL scran at some of our dinners. At least so I was told. By the time the Mess Guests had hoovered their way through the buffet there wasn't much left for the drinking classes.

I remember my first experience of Beef Wellington, though- I was transported !

I'm still paying my Mess bills, by the way ! Sad
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

Places Served : Dad, Hamburg, Bad Oeynhausen, Iserlohn, Bury, Osnabruck, Worcester. Me Detmold, Bielefeld, NI, HK

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 06:39

bigmal wrote:
1981-1984.
When they left to go to Wolfsburg (i think), all the LAD were asked if they want to go with them.
I opted to move.
I wish i had gone with them now so as to see somewhere different, as it was i went back to Fally.
Ah, after my time then, i was in HQ NI by then. I must say i loved Detmold though, and we had a great MQ in hakedahl. Smile
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

Number of posts : 960
Cap Badge : Royal Signals
Places Served : Wildenrath Detmold
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 15:16

jim wrote:
bigmal wrote:
1981-1984.
I opted to move.
Ah, after my time then, i was in HQ NI by then. I must say i loved Detmold though, and we had a great MQ in hakedahl. Smile

Probably overlooked by me in my tower block. Believe it is full of Eastern Europeans these days? Wonder if the locals would prefer us back?
Back to top Go down
Shelldrake
FM
FM
Shelldrake

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 15:29

That would be a "Yes" from me, Teabag. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

Places Served : JLRRA (Hereford) Nienburg Paderborn Colchester Munster Maresfield (Cyprus) Hohne Hemer Op Banner x4 Woolwich

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 16:50

Fan-tabby-dozie !

(Kinky though Suspect )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 17:35

Krankies.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
brum
FM
FM

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 21:23

Gordon. wrote:
Krankies.... Embarassed

That's nothing like any of the bloody Krankies that I ever saw pal !

(Masterful, by the way !).
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 22:18

That avatar is just so wrong in so many ways! Believe they are both swingers or at least I read somewhere that they are?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime15/4/2012, 23:22

Yes Teabag...That is true..The Krankies that is.My moobs just need a bit of control... Laughing
Back to top Go down
steve jones
Capt
Capt

Number of posts : 210
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAC Carlisle, Bielefeld, Werl, Munster, Arborfield
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/4/2012, 06:28

I would support the ACC to the end. right from the get go i thought i had died and gone to heaven. i came from a large family, 7 kids, and not so well off lancashire family. breakfast was porrige, lunch was good, school dinner, and tea would be beans on toast or similar.

to have bacon and eggs, huge mugs of tea, massive lunch and then a full on tea, and often supper was fantastic.

and how you turned out some of that food on excercise i will never know. a ditch and the arse end of a jet engine !!!!

my hat was off to you, and my mess tin ever extended.
Back to top Go down
jim
Let Gen
Let Gen
jim

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/4/2012, 08:33

Tower block? what tower block Teabag?
Back to top Go down
Teabag
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
Teabag

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/4/2012, 10:00

jim wrote:
Tower block? what tower block Teabag?

20 Poggenpohl in my case.
Back to top Go down
gingerjim
Col
Col

Number of posts : 487
Cap Badge : raoc
Places Served : blackdown brackley , belgium . viersen
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/4/2012, 19:15

its obvious steve you never met the real acc . the grub in the 50s was really disgusting . the mess was not the cookhouse , it was the swill they tried to cook up , god it was awful , even the flies and wasps boycotted our cookhouse dustbins , ginger
Back to top Go down
ciphers
Maj Gen
Maj Gen
ciphers

Number of posts : 978
Places Served : Catterick (1951) - BAOR (1952 -1954)-(Herford - Bunde - Munster) - Japan (Kure) - Korea (Pusan - Seoul) - Cyprus (Nicosia) - Suez Op (1st Guards Brigade) - UK (63 Sigs Regt TA, Southampton)
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime16/4/2012, 20:28

Got to admit that the food at Somme Lines (Regulars) 1951 sure didn't live up to Mum's cooking but we were so bloody hungry we ate everything.
Food vastly improved at 4TR (Gaza Lines) but was still very bland and 'Pom' potato flakes seemed to be a staple. Spent much of our pay on NAAFI food.
Then BAOR (6 Armd Div - Wentworth Bks - Herford), good food, we were temp housed by 11 Armd Div.
New camp at Bunde (Birdwood), initially lousy especially for junior NCO's who had to wait until all OR's were fed .. improved after a week or so.
20 Armd Bde Munster (York Bks) - great food, good junior NCO's Mess.
Japan (Kure), attached to Australian Signals .. 'Bloody beaut mate' - great food available 24 hrs just turn up at the cook house and they would accomodate you. Tables of four, table cloths, and waitress service.
Korea, food was generally good but basic, lots of tinned meats, rabbit, turkey etc, couldn't really complain as we were where we were.
Cyprus .. not that great, had to scrounge quite a lot of meals as we were attached to GHQ, but not recognized by them (CSO Branch, Ciphers) - food at Camp Main (Kykko East) was passable.

Len (Ciphers)
Back to top Go down
http://lenpayne.com/Len_Payne/Jim_Chapman.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New in town.   New in town. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New in town.
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next