HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Latest topics
Today at 15:28 by JPW

» British Army Maps of Germany 1945
Today at 15:24 by JPW

» Hamburg area.
Yesterday at 19:31 by steve

» British Army Units over 65 years in Germany
Yesterday at 09:13 by steve

» BAOR maps
16/3/2018, 12:35 by Pborn4

» Happy New Year
16/3/2018, 09:11 by steve

16/3/2018, 07:32 by Shelldrake

» CAOF 1945
16/3/2018, 02:11 by Pborn4

» BFG bases to shut by 2019.
15/3/2018, 20:11 by recce83

» Army barracks in Hamburg
15/3/2018, 17:12 by steve

» Wesendorf
14/3/2018, 22:39 by Pborn4

» 654 Sqn
14/3/2018, 21:57 by Pborn4

» Dusseldorf
13/3/2018, 19:19 by Pborn4

» Hannover Transit Camp January 1951
13/3/2018, 18:45 by Pborn4

» Football championships, Sherwood Foresters
10/3/2018, 11:02 by steve

Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

Most users ever online was 212 on 6/12/2017, 00:36
March 2018

Display results as :
Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Royal Engineers in Belgium 1952

Go down 
tony bur

PostSubject: Royal Engineers in Belgium 1952   2/6/2008, 05:49

Hi all,

I was with 40 Field Sqn. RE in Osnabruck, and we spent about 6 weeks June / July 1952 in tents just outside Lier, Belgium. We surveyed and started land clearence for a NATO stores depot [beside a railway line]

We travelled there in our own vehicles, and appeared to cause a stir with locals as our convoy passed through towns, the first for 5 years!!!

Anyone else spent time in Belgium?

Tony Burgess
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Royal Engineers in Belgium 1952   7/4/2009, 11:00

Hi Tony, I have just placed a site about this army camp Ord Depot Antwerp on line I'm sure loads of people would like to hear your story of the camp.

Bazz Marsden
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Royal Engineers in Belgium 1952   8/4/2009, 07:20

Hi Bazz,

I will put together as much as I can remember; on this site and then you can use it on your site.

We were only there for about 4 weeks, and did some land clearing and marking out the site.

We came from Osnabruck in convoy; and as we passed through places many people came out to watch us pass. Maybe they imagined we were retreating from the Russians!!

Give me a few days to look at photos and search the memory bank.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Royal Engineers in Belgium 1952   10/4/2009, 05:50

Hi Bazz,

My memories of our short stay in Belgium are as follows;

40 Field Squadron Royal Engineers [about 120 of us] of 37 AER at Osnabruck; packed up for an excercise sometime in May 1952, and drove into Belgium arriving just outside Lier.
We set up a tented camp with MT lines etc. on the south side and close to the moat of Fort van Kessel , which was not far from Lier.

As the only draughtsman in the unit, my job was site survey and pegging out for what were were told was to be a new stores depot for NATO [had NATO only recently been formed then?]
I think some of our drivers were trained on earth moving equipment; not sure how many as nearly half the unit was qualified to drive; maybe only the drivers qualified on Scamells and the bridging 6 tonners we had.

The site had already got rail sidings laid off a main line; and standing there was a diesel shunter driven by some lads from Detmold Military Railway [have found on line, that this shunter moved to Longmoor, UK in 1956]

Evenings out, most of us went to Lier. It was possible to have 49 standing in the back of a Bedford 4 x 4. On my birthday in early June, Brian Greenwood and I went to the best hotel in town and had a great meal: Chicken soup served in a large silver bowl with a lid on a special trolley; whole small chicken [one each] with new potatoes and fresh vegs; then stawberries and real cream, and washed down with a few Martini's. Later that evening we went to a cafe also in the main square to join others, then at midnight started eating again, ham eggs, and chips with a beer. I could not do up my belt by nearly two inches after those big feeds.
For those of you old enough to remember those days, that was a banquet!

We got extra money for being away from base, and I think we got nearly 40 Belgium francs to the pound, so we had plenty to spend.

I had a couple of weekend trips to Antwerp and Brussels, including a visit to the site of the Battle of Waterloo.
In Antwerp, I happened on a special event and saw King Boudian pass by; the only member of any royal family that I have ever seen.

The nearest cafe to our camp was along Karperweg to the west end of Fortstraat; and here was a small cafe with a massive jukebox that almost touched the ceiling; the whole building shook when it started up.

That was a fun time, bearing in mind that England still had rationing.

We returned to Osnabruck sometime in June, and was off to Hameln bridging camp a few weeks later.

Anyone else there in those days.
Tony Burgess
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Royal Engineers in Belgium 1952   

Back to top Go down
Royal Engineers in Belgium 1952
Page 1 of 1