BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

» Help with post war Vehicle Numbering please.
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime13/3/2024, 07:32 by Sinclair

» Bill Littleford, 16th/5th Queens Lancers, Wolfenbuttel 1977
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime12/3/2024, 19:42 by AlienFTM

» Any Ex 2 RTR on here
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime7/3/2024, 11:01 by Mark Ellis

» Sophia M Ackroyd
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime5/3/2024, 09:00 by alan8376

» Soldiers Pensions
Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime28/2/2024, 10:15 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?

Go down 
+3
MargaretMarch
alan8376
knmillan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
knmillan
Private
Private

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-05-24

Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Empty
PostSubject: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime1/6/2021, 20:41

Hi, I'm Katherine. My mom is Marlies/Maria from Paderborn. She conceived me with a British solder that, according to 23andMe genealogy test, is from the greater London area. I am hoping someone recognizes her.

Disclaimer, I have no fairytale notion of instant family but having been raised in the US as the child of a Native American veteran, I'd like to finally get resolution to what I had suspected since I was 8 years old and get some information/history of my paternity.

Thank you in advance! Pictures attached are my mom when she was a teen (she was 23 in April/May 1978) and one of me last year (hope I uploaded correctly).

Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Img_2411

UPDATE 7/2/21: I have located a half brother via MyHeritage and messaged him. He is in the UK. My message to you, I have to say when it comes to your children, be honest! Give them the facts and let them make up their own minds with the information. Lying/gaslighting/denying, it always catches up to you in the end. "The truth shall set you free." If your kid is smart, they will eventually find out anyways. Now soldiers, I grew up in the US military, I get it! Many men are going to find out they have children they never knew about. Don't be afraid and please don't deny reality. Someone else may need closure and/or resolution. Talk honestly about what you're afraid of because I get that too. Like I said, I have no fairytale notions of a family reunion. You can be open-minded and have good boundaries. Thank you

Last edited by knmillan on 2/7/2021, 15:43; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)

MargaretMarch and Suzanne like this post

Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 736
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime1/6/2021, 20:55

Welcome,
Yes photos are shown ok.

Alan

knmillan likes this post

Back to top Go down
MargaretMarch
LCpl
LCpl

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime16/6/2021, 08:18

Hi,
You need to develop a family tree for the matches you have that seem to connect to the man concerned.

Try Facebook Group 'DNA Detectives' who have searchers on there who have experience of this sort of search.
Margaret

knmillan likes this post

Back to top Go down
JGW
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 42
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : AAS Arborfield, 5 Inf Wksps then 14 Regt. RA Dortmund, 1 Inf Wksps Aden, 22 Sigs Lippstadt, REBCS then 65CSS RE Hameln, Borden, 15/19 H then 9/12 Lancers Tidworth, 4 ADSR, Herford, QoH then 4/7 DGuards Detmold.
Registration date : 2019-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime1/7/2021, 16:01

Nice looking lady. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
AlienFTM
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 61
Cap Badge : 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars
Places Served : NI, Tidworth, UNFICYP, BAOR, Worthy Down
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime27/7/2022, 16:49

Not a tremendous help, but I'll put this out there. My regiment, 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, moved into the Infanteriekaserne (Alanbrooke Barracks) in October 1979.

We replaced, iirc, 1st Battalion The Queen's Regiment.

Let's just say they left a reputation behind them, and Paderborn became a desirable posting without a resident infantry battalion.

I half suspect The Queen's recruited in London, but I could be way wide of the mark.
Back to top Go down
http://www.arrse.co.uk
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime1/8/2022, 12:41

You took over from 3 R ANGLIAN.  They recruited from Norfolk/Suffolk and the surrounding areas.  There were probably a few Londoners in that Bn.   I know of two of them who stayed on, one since deceased but the other was Chris Atkins who ran 'Onkel Tom's Kabin', a favourite with your old Regt.  He went on to have a photography business based in Barker Bks.  That's all closed now so I've no idea where he is.  I last saw him in Armagh when he came out to do some photos for the roulement unit who were PB based.  That was in '97.  No idea what he is up to now but if he's still this side of the turf, I'd imagine that he was still in PB.

I've no idea what the R ANGLIAN were like in PB, but when you left you were replaced by a bunch of shaved chimps in the form of the QLR. PB went right down the swannie during their stay.
Back to top Go down
AlienFTM
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt

Number of posts : 61
Cap Badge : 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars
Places Served : NI, Tidworth, UNFICYP, BAOR, Worthy Down
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime1/8/2022, 13:07

Rocky wrote:
You took over from 3 R ANGLIAN.  They recruited from Norfolk/Suffolk and the surrounding areas.  There were probably a few Londoners in that Bn.   I know of two of them who stayed on, one since deceased but the other was Chris Atkins who ran 'Onkel Tom's Kabin', a favourite with your old Regt.  He went on to have a photography business based in Barker Bks.  That's all closed now so I've no idea where he is.  I last saw him in Armagh when he came out to do some photos for the roulement unit who were PB based.  That was in '97.  No idea what he is up to now but if he's still this side of the turf, I'd imagine that he was still in PB.

I've no idea what the R ANGLIAN were like in PB, but when you left you were replaced by a bunch of shaved chimps in the form of the QLR.  PB went right down the swannie during their stay.  

I'll take your word on 3 R Anglian, but with respect I'm not convinced (especially having 1 next door at Catterick in training, and 2 next door in Tidworth. The two night have been the other way round). Had R ANGLIAN been relative to three almost consecutive postings, I'm sure it would have stuck. Having transferred to RAPC, I later did my ASP course with a former 1 Queens who remembered Alanbrooke.

Chris turned up recently, he's a member of the 15/19H Facebook group and we chat periodically. He and R ANGLIAN rings a bell. I hadn't realised he'd got out that recently. If I go and look at the current poor Facebook page, I can probably tell you where he is. Wait out on that.

And yes, I heard that QLR destroyed the Army's reputation in Paderborn after we left. I went back with family in 96 and found razor wire atop the fence I used to scale. A LI battalion was resident. I wondered then whether the razor wire was to keep miscreants out or in. Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  1f600
Back to top Go down
http://www.arrse.co.uk
Rocky
WOI
WOI

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime1/8/2022, 13:16

Chris left the army in the mid 70s.  When he came out to Armagh he was a civvy. He'd sold the pub and went into photography. He'd been at it for a few years by that time. Not sure how long after he left the Army that took ownership of Onkel Tom's but it was a good bar.   I'm sure that it was the ANGLIANS before you.  I say so, because quite a few of the local lasses had kids by them so they featured high in conversation.  Usually because they'd buggered off back to the UK never to be seen again.

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
soprano54
WOI
WOI
soprano54

Number of posts : 168
Cap Badge : RTR
Places Served : Fallingbostel, Tidworth, Paderborn, Cyprus, Bovington, Hemer, NI, Coltishall, Incirlik, Benson
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime22/10/2022, 19:40

AlienFTM wrote:
Rocky wrote:

I've no idea what the R ANGLIAN were like in PB, but when you left you were replaced by a bunch of shaved chimps in the form of the QLR.  PB went right down the swannie during their stay.  

I'll take your word on 3 R Anglian, but with respect I'm not convinced (especially having 1 next door at Catterick in training, and 2 next door in Tidworth. The two night have been the other way round). Had R ANGLIAN been relative to three almost consecutive postings, I'm sure it would have stuck. Having transferred to RAPC, I later did my ASP course with a former 1 Queens who remembered Alanbrooke.

Chris turned up recently, he's a member of the 15/19H Facebook group and we chat periodically. He and R ANGLIAN rings a bell. I hadn't realised he'd got out that recently. If I go and look at the current poor Facebook page, I can probably tell you where he is. Wait out on that.

And yes, I heard that QLR destroyed the Army's reputation in Paderborn after we left. I went back with family in 96 and found razor wire atop the fence I used to scale. A LI battalion was resident. I wondered then whether the razor wire was to keep miscreants out or in. Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  1f600

Alien mate you’re not wrong about the QLR after you lot left Paders, we 3RTR stayed on for a few more years and finally left in 86 after a fab seven years there! They, the QLR certainly lowered to tone of the place!

AlienFTM likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?    Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paderborn April/May 1978. Do you know this German woman?
Page 1 of 1